• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Shortly before this thread, I had a LTTP topic asking for recommendations. What I've gotten so far (starting PS1 collecting from scratch):
stqXW2e.jpg

Parasite Eve and Soul Reaver were pretty great (I might need an alternative US cover for the latter, goddamn is the EU one bad). Haven't played Vagrant Story yet. Spyro gave me some nostalgic feelings, but I'll probably get rid of it again. Outside of childhood memories, it's too shallow - even though fun in short bursts. Not sure why the Rareware games got so much flack when this was the biggest collectathon offender.

Currently looking for Crash Bandicoot 3 and Fear Effect (Never heard about the latter until this year, looks great)... I also wanted to try Ape Escape, but that shit doesn't work on PS3s :/
Also, too bad that SotN is so valuable nowadays, I definitely prefer discs if possible.

cj_iwakura

Shortly before this thread, I had a LTTP topic asking for recommendations. What I've gotten so far (starting PS1 collecting from scratch):

Parasite Eve and Soul Reaver were pretty great (I might need an alternative US cover for the latter, goddamn is the EU one bad). Haven't played Vagrant Story yet. Spyro gave me some nostalgic feelings, but I'll probably get rid of it again. Outside of childhood memories, it's too shallow - even though fun in short bursts. Not sure why the Rareware games got so much flack when this was the biggest collectathon offender.

Currently looking for Crash Bandicoot 3 and Fear Effect (Never heard about the latter until this year, looks great)... I also wanted to try Ape Escape, but that shit doesn't work on PS3s :/
Also, too bad that SotN is so valuable nowadays, I definitely prefer discs if possible.

Fear Effect is an amazing game. Get it. One of my favorite PS1 games, if not one of my favorite games period.

hipgnosis

Did I already post these? I guess not.

Pr7oVYo.jpg

I love collecting for this console, there are so many obscure titles out there that it just blows my mind. Also the prices aren't too bad yet on some less known rarities. Koudelka seems pretty great, it feels unique.

Also got Sheep, Dog 'n' Wolf. That game looks really awesome, such great art style.

Does a fairly up-to-date list of "Best US games not on PSN" exist? I'd like to collect some PS1 games but I'd rather not buy the ones available digitally. I know that kind of goes against the collector ethos, but if I can get a game for $6 I'm going to do that. I'm playing all if these on a PS3 anyway, not a PS1 or 2. And I want stuff to play on the Vita I plan to buy soon...

I've looked for lists online but they're all from 3 or 4 years ago. Maybe we can compile a GAF-approved list? Now is the time, as the curtain is about to drop on this gen and it doesn't appear that we're going to get many more titles added to PSN.

Related: how are the Mega Man 1-4 releases (the JPN Rockman games)?

EDIT: A new search turns up a list I don't think I saw before. It's dated March 2012 and was updated after the release of Tomba. It's a Top 10 with an honorable mention list, so it looks OK, I guess? I don't really know the PS1 library as well as many of you all.

http://www.pixelitis.net/features/top-ten-psone-classics-that-playstation-network-needs

Yoday

I just started up my collection of PS1 stuffs. I still have a bunch of my original PS1 games, but I had traded in the system and whatnot long ago. I have a BC PS3, and an original PS2, but there is something special about playing on an original system with that classic boot up sound.

Over the last week or so I bought a nearly perfect grey PS1 with cables, and two original controllers for $30 shipped. I also picked up my first ever long box copy of a game with The Need for Speed. I also found out for the first time that a dual analog controller existed before the Dualshock, went to eBay and lucked out on a absolutely perfect quality one for $12. I got it in today, and I love it. I really wish Sony would have stuck with that controller mold. It is just a much better fit for my hands in every single way. The only thing I would have changed is that the analog sticks are hard plastic, and they would be better with a rubberized coating. I like to think that holding this controller gives me a decent idea of how the PS4 controller is going to feel. I can't wait!

(From my September pick ups post)So I've just now started heavily PS1 collecting. In the past month this is what ive managed to procure. All via craigslisting/ebaying adventures i've manged to collect all of them at fair prices (usually 30% off price-charting) or severely discounted price (like 5x less in some uniformed craigslisters cases...sorry guy!). Also I refused to pay ebay markups (did some snipe bidding when resorting to ebay however). I feel like this is a good start for my collection. Tell me what you think! (and maybe suggest titles I should seek out to further flesh out my collection too?)

P.S: Sorry for my shitty picture quality!
--------------------------------------------------------
Lets start out with the "lesser" finds and work our way to what I believe are the real gems/must haves.

photo_zps0fe782df.jpg

For 5$ i got these from a garage sale. Tekken was the real reason i bought the lot, Parasite Eve only came with disc 2 so im a little disappointed for my first Craigslisting venture...but later into the month...
photo11_zps2f97a474.jpg

Got these for 3$ off a guy from CL....dont regret it one bit ( though I hate loose discs most of the time $3 for Brave Fencer cannot be passed up!)(Also willing to do trades by the way :)
photo3_zps3605474a.jpg

Yep, all CIB (except for those that are loose or are in crappy CD containers lol, got those for really cheap at a garage sale)
photo4_zps2741a933.jpg

Haven't played Chrono Cross nor Vagrant Story before now and goddamn are they looking good just from my initial 20 min startups. Also SOTN is by far the gem of this pic IMO, easily in my top 10 games, just behind MGS :).
photo5_zps00386572.jpg

Arguably my best purchases/finds this month. Currently playing thru FF7 (30 hrs in) and I understand its legacy/hype, which I actually do think it deserves. Xenogears is by far the gem of my entire collection however cant wait to dive headfirst into it!
photo1_zpsaecbad12.jpg

Full September bounty.

All in all my first month of serious collecting was not only relatively inexpensive due to my obsessive bargain hunting but so too incredibly fun! Cant say I'll be able to have another month with this many high quality pickups but I'll keep collecting and posting here when I come across something worthwhile! Let me know what PS1 titles I should seek next (particularly JRPG's!) Thanks for reading!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Did I already post these? I guess not.

Pr7oVYo.jpg

I love collecting for this console, there are so many obscure titles out there that it just blows my mind. Also the prices aren't too bad yet on some less known rarities. Koudelka seems pretty great, it feels unique.

Also got Sheep, Dog 'n' Wolf. That game looks really awesome, such great art style.

Namco Museum vol 3... funny enough, my condo complex was having their annual garage sale and a lady had a GH copy of the game, still in shrinkwrap, for $2. So I picked that up... and then while at Video Games New York last weekend, found a sealed copy of Linda^3, a game I've wanted for YEARS...

Game is a traditional RPG where you have to hunt animals to get on board a space Ark. It's a bit darker than your normal RPG from the era though... here's an RPGFan review of it

Yep. Timeless stories never age. Should I get Legend of Dragoon next? heard its great.

Seeing your collection above, looks like you're missing Star Ocean 2, Suikoden 2, and Valkyrie Profile... my personal top 3 on PS1.

Ive always wanted to try Suikoden and Valkyrie Profile but those prices!....I'll find a way to get them eventually, thanks for the suggestions :)

I'd love to have a complete set of all five Namco Museum games. Shoulda bought them new back in the day. Weren't they only $20 at release or something? Probably more like $40 knowing Namco...

IrishNinja

^i forget how much they were, but given how small/old they were, and rationed out across all those collections...they felt like a lazy cash-in to me even in the day, refused to bite. PS2 era saw so many arcade classics get put together on 1 disc (much of Midway, Taito, Capcom, SNK etc) so this only reinforced it for me.

^i forget how much they were, but given how small/old they were, and rationed out across all those collections...they felt like a lazy cash-in to me even in the day, refused to bite. PS2 era saw so many arcade classics get put together on 1 disc (much of Midway, Taito, Capcom, SNK etc) so this only reinforced it for me.
Can't argue with that, but it would just be cool to have the set nowadays, as a collector

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
PSP version is pretty bad... Tons of random slowdown, and the game is stretched into widescreen and looks awful. It's better than nothing, I guess, but it's a pale imitation of the original.

Mzo

The PSP US version is also the straight up J version of the game without the tiny fixes made to the PS US release.

I beat it on the portable, though, since it's so much more convenient. Still a great game no matter where you play it.

PSP version, easy money.

I bought the Japanese PS1 ver. so I could go without blurry, stretched graphics and what I got was a game that freezes all the time during battles. : ( I wish Square would get over the fact that the PSP ports are available and release the original PS1 versions as well.

My Current PS1 Collection

-Ridge Racer R4
-Omega Boost
-Ridge Racer
-Um Jammer Lammy
-Galerians
-Parasite Eve
-Syndicate Wars

Looking To Get:

-Fear Effect
-Resident Evil 1 and 2
-Hell Night
-Klonoa
-Tomba! and Tomba!2
-Street Fighter EX 2 Plus
-Darkstalkers 3
-Moon RPG
-Ghost In The Shell
-Battle Angel Alita

cj_iwakura

Do either of you experience freezing when attempting to load the save screen? Maybe it's just my copy ... or JP PS2 ... *shudders* This is one of my favorite JRPGs ever and it kills me that I have this issue.

I've never played it off the disc to be honest. I bought it for the fan translation.

For what it's worth, I have had it happen with the fan translation. I used save states. Could be a programming glitch. Gemini did say IS was programmed by Lucifer himself.

At least it doesn't use save points. Although maybe that's somehow part of the problem/why free saving isn't a common feature.

Unfortunately save states ruin the music when I load from them so I was never able to rely on them, and something was always wrong with the emulation of the game, so it's not a clear fix for me. And it seems like I'm the minority in this, but I think the PSP ver. ruins some of the fun.

cj_iwakura

At least it doesn't use save points. Although maybe that's somehow part of the problem/why free saving isn't a common feature.

Unfortunately save states ruin the music when I load from them so I was never able to rely on them, and something was always wrong with the emulation of the game, so it's not a clear fix for me. And it seems like I'm the minority in this, but I think the PSP ver. ruins some of the fun.

To be fair, how many actually played the PS1 version? I agree for the most part, mostly in that I prefer the PS1 UI on some levels. I love the fusion updates though, that stuff is great.

I'm also kind of glad they rebalanced the final boss. He was just NUTS originally. A game that easy shouldn't spike that hard.

Twisted Metal 2 probably got played for 3 months straight.

Sylpheed
Suikoden
Jet Moto 2
Star Ocean 2
Crash Bandicoot
MGS
Destruction Derby
Battle Arena Toshinden
Tekken

Ah the memories, will love forever

To be fair, how many actually played the PS1 version? I agree for the most part, mostly in that I prefer the PS1 UI on some levels. I love the fusion updates though, that stuff is great.

I'm also kind of glad they rebalanced the final boss. He was just NUTS originally. A game that easy shouldn't spike that hard.

I think the absurdity of "Hitler" being in the game is part of what makes it so fun. Without a completely out of let field specific reference to a real world villain of yesteryear, it kind of takes away from just how ludicrous the scenario is.

Oh my god I had so much trouble with the final boss the first time.

Best console ever, IMO. My current collection is nothing worth posting. Merely a Greatest Hits FFVII and Chrono Cross. I used to have a much more respectable library, full of black label classics.

Shining

I've been playing Alundra the last couple of weekends. This game! The music, the world, the gameplay.. one of the best games ever made. The last time i played it was about 14 years ago and i never finished it. This time i'm gonna do it. I'm at Nirudes Lair at the moment.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Quick question, will my PAL PS3 be able to play American PS one games? Want to play Parasite Eve again

I believe not - at least for disc games. Games for systems that were region locked originally (ie PS1 and 2) retain their old locks.

But the PSN version: yes, it works, I do believe. Just make a US account (though I think it may be available on the PAL stores?)

Zing

Banned
Playing Brave Fencer Musashi now. It is a very well done and polished game. There are so many wise design decisions put into this game. It's a true gem I had yet to discover, just as with Legend of Dragoon and Threads of Fate.

Top Bottom