• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

SegaManAU

Gold Member
Finally got around to picking up a PAL copy of Jumping Flash. I used to play the hell out of the demo when I was a kid. Will be good to finally play through it all!

Yasae

Banned
final fantasy 7-9 + tactics
breath of fire 3 & 4
suikoden 1 & 2
vagrant story
legend of mana
grandia
wild arms 1
xenogears
front mission 3
lunar 1 & 2
chrono cross
valkyrie profile
arc the lad collection
brave fencer musashi
Remove Suikoden, Arc the Lad, Wild Arms and then we got a list.

I'm on a bit of a PS1 x Vita kick at the moment

Just beat the Crash and Spyro trilogy, and just downloaded Blood Omen today.

I really only playing RPGs, fighting, Horror and Metal Gear on my PS1 back in the day. I was too much of a N64 fanboy to really check on the whole PS1 catalog.

The PS1 is often mentioned as a goldmine for jRPGs but I didn't find many that got good userratings. I know Final Fantasy VII-IX, Vagrant Story (a bit disappointed tbh), the Suikoden games, Dragon Quest and Wild Arms, but otherwise?
Persona 2: Innocent Sin (there's a fan translation and you'll have to go by that but I still advise you to import the japanese version, cause hey, then you own it), Persona 2 Eternal Punishment (this one actually came out in US), Xenogears, Final Fantasy IX and Chrono Cross.

That's all you need.

Suikoden's are nice but feel pretty old; hell Suikoden 3 on the PS2 feels ancient, you can find Parasite Eve endearing (read: different) but the controls are iffy and Grandia is good, but I'm always rooting for someone to do the Saturn version; and FFVII is a classic, I won't say timeless, though. And I played Lunar 1+2 on the Sega CD.
PS1 has hands-down the greatest JRPG library in gaming history. Bar none.
I'd say PS2 and Nintendo DS own it.

And I think it's a tie with SNES, but I actually think SNES has the best selection/survives the test of time way better. (Chrono Trigger, FF6 and Tales of Phantasia do the trick, but one could throw a few more like Terranigma, Earthbound, Evo, Super Mario RPG...)

Yes, I'm aware those 3 appeared in some way or form on the PSone, but Chrono Trigger and FF6 had loadings and uncalled for FMV's, and I like ToP better on the SNES, not to mention it being a bigger achievement there.

I just remembered, Alundra on the PS1 is really good; the writing specially.

IrishNinja

saying Suikoden looks aged kinda misses the point, they (especially the PSX ones) generally looked almost a gen behind even in their day. what else doesn't hold up, the great plot/character/OST etc? if its the engine, i fail to see how that's any more offensive than most of its era, honestly.

2 is inarguably a classic, and one of my favorite JRPGs of all time. its possible i herald 1 too much for saving me from the pre FF VII drought (seriously, Wild ARMS was fun not a memorable journey i thought), but like Lunar 1/2 on Sega-CD, it was exactly what i needed at the time, such a great title.

And I think it's a tie with SNES, but I actually think SNES has the best selection/survives the test of time way better. (Chrono Trigger, FF6 and Tales of Phantasia do the trick, but one could throw a few more like Terranigma, Earthbound, Evo, Super Mario RPG...)

wait, so Tales makes your classics list, but not Earthbound? to each their own~

UnrealEck

So gutted that I threw my Playstation out years ago. I remember spilling Irn Bru on it but I opened it up and fixed it. I remember I had to sit it on its side for it to read disks. It was one of the original launch consoles too. With the word "open" and "eject" on the buttons which they changed to the symbols for future revisions.
The only part I have left is one of the controllers. The one without the thumbsticks on it.

saying Suikoden looks aged kinda misses the point, they (especially the PSX ones) generally looked almost a gen behind even in their day. what else doesn't hold up, the great plot/character/OST etc? if its the engine, i fail to see how that's any more offensive than most of its era, honestly.
It's not hugely offensive; but it didn't age nicely, IMO. Just like Parasite Eve; but they still deserve a shout.
2 is inarguably a classic, and one of my favorite JRPGs of all time. its possible i herald 1 too much for saving me from the pre FF VII drought (seriously, Wild ARMS was fun not a memorable journey i thought)
Perhaps, bare in mind up till 1999 or 2000 I only had N64.

I only experienced Suikoden 1 and 2 years afterwards. The JRPG's I still enjoyed with the PSone alive and kicking (ie: no PS2 out yet) where Alundra; Alunda 2 (yeah, I know! and I actually played Alundra 2 before), FFVII, FFIX (I tried FFVIII but I always despised it) and Tales of Eternia; ToE being my first import ever, actually (I live in Europe).
wait, so Tales makes your classics list, but not Earthbound? to each their own~
Of course it does; hence I listed it; but I enjoyed it very late and it simply didn't leave an impression as big as the others I mentioned; I dislike the old school menu system too much (the old dragon quest one) if they changed it for the streamlined context sensitive action button I'd probably love it. Yes, I'm simple like that.

It's simply not one of my favorite games ever, whereas those 3 are. But... Mother 3 is one of my favorite games ever; I have loads of love for the series.

Maybe off-topic but i still don't have permission for new threads on NeoGAF, so, maybe someone here can help me:

Why Namco was so in love with the PlayStation? between 1994 to 1996 and before the launch of FFVII and other important games the machine was THE NAMCO CONSOLE, is there some articles about this topic? i haven't found anything on the internet.

G-Fex

yeah Alien Trilogy is a solid first person shooter.

I don't know if it's the PS3 or whatever but it doesn't look bad at all. Very nice.

baphomet

Maybe off-topic but i still don't have permission for new threads on NeoGAF, so, maybe someone here can help me:

Why Namco was so in love with the PlayStation? between 1994 to 1996 and before the launch of FFVII and other important games the machine was THE NAMCO CONSOLE, is there some articles about this topic? i haven't found anything on the internet.

Their system 11 arcade hardware was a souped up playstation. So it got all the ports from their arcade games effortlessly.

Their system 11 arcade hardware was a souped up playstation. So it got all the ports from their arcade games effortlessly.

Yes but this was before the launch of PlayStation in Japan. Games like Ridge Racer, Cyber Sled, Air (Ace) Combat, Solvalou or Starblade runs on a very different hardware yet everything was released on PS as exclusive titles, and all those games can be released on Saturn.

For me sounds like Namco was really involved in a contract or something, i want to investigate more.

It was certainly a great partnership. Namco was essentially a 2nd party developer for Sony in those days. I think early on it was an obvious pairing between a powerhouse Japanese arcade company and a powerhouse Japanese home electronics company whose new console platform took off like a rocket on day one. For whatever reason, Namco didn't have very strong ties to Nintendo or Sega, and Sony needed games. It just made a lot of business sense on both sides. Then once System 11 came along the pipeline for ports was wide open.

It was certainly a great partnership. Namco was essentially a 2nd party developer for Sony in those days. I think early on it was an obvious pairing between a powerhouse Japanese arcade company and a powerhouse Japanese home electronics company whose new console platform took off like a rocket on day one. For whatever reason, Namco didn't have very strong ties to Nintendo or Sega, and Sony needed games. It just made a lot of business sense on both sides. Then once System 11 came along the pipeline for ports was wide open.

I wonder what the deal with Soul Calibur was? I would have totally expected a PS1 port in addition to the DC upgrade.

Mad Stalker is still in the mail. Going to take forever to get here.

I ordered another NeGcon. I had a couple of them a few years ago when I played Wipeout pretty regularly, but sold them off when carpel tunnel syndrome started affecting me. I decided I would get one again for casual play for games like R4 and Side by Side Special.

I also finally took the plunge on Panzer Bandit. Someone was selling a CIB on Amazon for a decent price.

I've noticed a trend over the last year where pawn shops are either not holding on to ps1 games or only have sports titles. Seeing as how this is one the easiest ways to expand a collection rapidly, I'm pretty disappointed. Anyone else noticing this?

Finalow

the best jrpgs on this console. *period*
Xenogears, Suikoden I-II, Grandia, Persona 2, Chrono Cross and much more. I own a Xenogears limited and P2 EP limited, thanks to play-asia.

I've noticed a trend over the last year where pawn shops are either not holding on to ps1 games or only have sports titles. Seeing as how this is one the easiest ways to expand a collection rapidly, I'm pretty disappointed. Anyone else noticing this?
I don't hit pawn shops much but I'm noticing the retro/geek stores in my area don't have much stock of stuff pre-ps2. Online and eBay is the place to find it now. On that same note, I'm thinking now is the time start really collecting ps2 games. They're abundant, they're cheap and nostalgia hasn't inflated the prices yet.

Mzo

Since retro games are "in" right now, resellers have been hitting thrift stores and the like pretty hard, stripping them down on a consistent basis. It's hard to just stumble across stuff when some people have made it their life's work to flip.

madstalkerfront.jpg
Cross post from the pick ups thread.

Mad Stalker came in yesterday. It may not look as flashy as the earlier versions, but it sure has a fantastic beat em' up engine. If I'm not mistaken, the same team who did Panzer Bandit was responsible for this version. The combat feels very similar.

IrishNinja

finally replaced my Suikoden 1 & 2 for less than $90, feels good. loose, but good condition & i just keep them in DVD cases anyway...can't wait to replay these again!

NekoFever

Random question...

I have a PS1 game on disc and have a save on my PS3. If I buy the same game from PSN to play on a Vita, can I transfer the save from the physical version and continue from where I left off?

I've never bought a digital version of a PS1 game, so I have no idea how it works.

You sure can, PSN and disc versions of PS1 games both use the same virtual memory card system, and as long as they're the same actual game it should be fine to transfer to Vita/PSP.
I transferred a PSP Silent Hill save to my PS3 to play my disc copy, then used a memory card adapter to copy it to a physical memory card to play on an actual PS1 :p

Too complicated to develop for Saturn, Playstation held most of the marketshare, bad blood between Namco and Nintendo probably (like with other developers), higher costs, and further complications.

NekoFever

You sure can, PSN and disc versions of PS1 games both use the same virtual memory card system, and as long as they're the same actual game it should be fine to transfer to Vita/PSP.
I transferred a PSP Silent Hill save to my PS3 to play my disc copy, then used a memory card adapter to copy it to a physical memory card to play on an actual PS1 :p

That's nothing. You should try switching saves between the PS3 hard drive and homemade Popstation versions of games. It involves an arcane combination of memory card adaptors, modded PS2s with FTP software, PS1 emulators and PSP CFW plugins. But I was able to beat the final bosses of Final Fantasy VII on my PS3 after getting to that point on my PSP.

Good to know, though. Thanks.

Too complicated to develop for Saturn, Playstation held most of the marketshare, bad blood between Namco and Nintendo probably (like with other developers), higher costs, and further complications.

Yeah. Also, people tend to forget Sega and Namco were bitter rivals in the arcade space, with competing titles is almost every genre from fighting to racing to lightgun games, so developing arcade games for PS1-based architecture made sense versus Sega's ST-V or Model 2.

iamtheb

I have the most amazing retro game shop ever. They're in the business of computer repair but now they're starting to dabble in to games. I've already posted some of my great finds in the NES and SNES threads, but now it's time to share my most recent PS1 finds.

They had just officially put out their PS1 and Dreamcast games. Everyone of these were $10 each. I spent $80 and got:

Zombies Ate My Neighbors for SNES

Illbleed and EGG for Dreamcast (both complete)

Breath of Fire IV, Mega Man Legends, Thunder Force V, RayStorm, and Mega Man Legends 2! The PS1 games were all pristine.

I already had copies of both of the Legends games but these copies were pristine. I'm thinking a mom sold them while her son was off at college or something. It's great for me because the Legends series is one of my all-time favorites.

I'm lucky because I feel I'm maybe 1 of 5 people who collect in this small town. Lots of rural areas where people hung on to their old games. People are very nice too. In fact, a woman just messaged me on Facebook responding to my ad on our local yard sale page. She's digging an original NES and a few games (not sure what yet) out of storage and just giving it to me for free because she doesn't want it anymore.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Got this a couple months ago, been meaning to dig into it:

wNSy2OL.jpg

It's already developed a fine layer of dust lol.

I played it back in 'the day, but never actually finished it. I hope it's still good... cuz I love RE-style games.

Dizzy-4U

Anyone remember if Bust a Groove (Bust a Move) has "spanish" subtitles in the NTSC-U or PAL version?
There is a spanish option at least in the US version. You get spanish menus, UI and announcer. The songs don't have subtitles.

It is a goddamn crime this game is not on PSN by the way.

Tankallex

Banned
I played Chrono Cross for the first time last year and was surprised at how terrible it was.
I'm surprised how terrible you think it is. I love that game, the soundtrack, the characters, the story. The only thing I think could have used a LITTLE work was the combat system but it wasn't bad.

Wazzy

Banned
I'm surprised how terrible you think it is. I love that game, the soundtrack, the characters, the story. The only thing I think could have used a LITTLE work was the combat system but it wasn't bad.

Yeah I don't think the game is terrible by any means. The art and world are gorgeous along with having one of the best videogames soundtracks ever, the game is a blast to go through. Sure, the story is a little convoluted but I still enjoyed most of it and the characters.

My only gripe, along with most people, is there being too many recruitable characters. That's fine and everything in SRPG's but in a RPG it's awkward since a lot of them barely get any development.

Has anyone else noticed that some games have black T ratings whilst others have white?

Exhibit A:
Final_Fantasy_VII_Box_Art.jpg

Exhibit B:
images

Is it due to year released or something with the ESRB?

Yeah I don't think the game is terrible by any means. The art and world are gorgeous along with having one of the best videogames soundtracks ever, the game is a blast to go through. Sure, the story is a little convoluted but I still enjoyed most of it and the characters.

My only gripe, along with most people, is there being too many recruitable characters. That's fine and everything in SRPG's but in a RPG it's awkward since a lot of them barely get any development.

I liked the recruitable characters for a few reasons. Basically it is like any other jrpg where a group of people is going around with a goal but instead of all the interesting people you meet along the way basically saying "yeah good luck with that then" after you finish their segment they join you if you want.

Mzo

Namco fucking historically hates Nintendo. They would put out NES games because they made bank but the second they ever heard a rumor that some other company was making a console they were like "DAY ONE!"

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Picked up some weirdo racing/driving games at Seattle Retro Game Expo. Got Omega Boost for $8 yesterday.

I love that the main car in Ray Tracers is called "Spanker".

Right now I'm hunting for Parappa the Rapper and RC de GO!

GATDAM

FELONY 11-79 was one of my most hyped games before I got a PS1. Never managed to get it but I've been dying to play it for years.

Dizzy-4U

Pretty sure it is.
in japan, with hundreds of others.

I went on a shopping spree on the japanese PSN last week and didin't see it, either of them. I looked at their classic catalog 4 times and unless they changed the cover art, I believe it's not there.

cj_iwakura

I went on a shopping spree on the japanese PSN last week and didin't see it, either of them. I looked at their classic catalog 4 times and unless they changed the cover art, I believe it's not there.

That sucks. I actually played my disc copy a month ago.

That lag was no joke, I tell you what.

Top Bottom