• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Playing Brave Fencer Musashi now. It is a very well done and polished game. There are so many wise design decisions put into this game. It's a true gem I had yet to discover, just as with Legend of Dragoon and Threads of Fate.

I really enjoyed BFM when it released. Shame about the sequel.

Anyone have general thoughts or specific recommendations on early PS1 PC ports?

I'm on a mild kick of buying early PS1 games (95-96) and there's a ton of games that are truly PC games like X-Com, A-Train, C&C, Descent... Lots that I have never even heard of before and I was WAY into gaming in those days and owned a PS1 within 6 months of launch.

I'm not a PC gamer (might jump into a Steam Machine next year) so even if these aren't great adaptions they would be new to me. I did play C&C back in the day and recall it being really cumbersome to play. Not something I'd go back to. But I also remember having fun with Theme Park.

Anyone have memories or impressions of these types of games?

Recall

I had 186 games on my PS1, I downsized it a lot to pay for my PS2 back in the day. After moving house I found my box of PS1 games. It's not perfect but I think a solid collection regardless.

497F4CD4-E433-4AD3-8F07-0896E152C0BE-216-0000001E9B17DAB6_zps317dbf24.jpg

Castlevania Symphony of the Night w/ CD and Art book.
71CD8156-CB33-4909-B82B-91A717D9123E-841-00000101663BC027_zpsf55c8e0a.jpg

C232B790-09CC-4A96-8BE2-D079FFE106EB-841-000001016F4FE97C_zpsa172c7fb.jpg

Final Fantasy 6 w/ Final Fantasy 10 demo
22F1AEDE-F0A2-4388-8202-114FDE5B3A91-853-00000104E3744BCA_zpsfb63442c.jpg

746606C5-6489-4336-8CF4-5080A74C856E-853-00000104EB3BCFAA_zps90c548ce.jpg

A38D8CA6-B4B9-4AF4-B3C6-66BA6DA32070-853-00000104F4A68DE4_zps32af6c98.jpg

IrishNinja

tekken 2, 3 & Fear Effect on craigslist for $10...feelin like i got what i paid for.
PS2 doesnt boot any of em as is (well, tekken 3's audio...), what do you guys recommend? google search says toothpaste, alcohol, lots of gamestop resurfacing recommendations (dont think they do that anymore), not sure which to try first.

tekken 2, 3 & Fear Effect on craigslist for $10...feelin like i got what i paid for.
PS2 doesnt boot any of em as is (well, tekken 3's audio...), what do you guys recommend? google search says toothpaste, alcohol, lots of gamestop resurfacing recommendations (dont think they do that anymore), not sure which to try first.

Honestly I'd just cut my losses (its only $10), learn from the experience, and avoid buying games loose like that. Furthermore it doesn't hurt to look at the discs before you pay, and decide then if they look good enough to risk the cash. Personally I would never buy loose discs like that, because it's a good indication they weren't properly cared for. Of course, even some of the complete games I've bought on eBay were pretty bad, but at least they're complete (and seem to work).

woodypop

^ Yikes, I'd have passed on 'em. Those are in really rough shape, Irish. And I don't believe they're that hard to find in decent shape for a fair price. (Or are they?)

EDIT: But I don't have any advice, except maybe to see if Gamestop resurfaces. That might be the easiest route.

IrishNinja

*sigh* yeah normally i know better, i was just juggling a few things between the phone, walking my dog (who was being a dick) and i kinda gave them a cursory glance and just handed him the $ since i needed to get back home...that's what i get though!

sucks though, wanted to play some old tekken. morally, i feel okay just burning a disc and seeing if my top loader PS2 will take it for the moment. and yeah im usually fine with looseys (i put them in DVD cases anyway) but these ones look like they were cleaned with a brillo pad.

edit does GS still resurface? cant hurt to try, ill call & ask on monday

woodypop

On a related note: Tekken 3 always amazes me that it's running on a PS1. Blew my socks off back in the day, and still holds up pretty well now.

Is Fear Effect still worth a play? I have both it and Retro Helix, but haven't spent much time with either.

Ouch I know how you feel. I got burned by CL too but ironically Tekken was one of the games I got that worked, that and Parasite eve 2 (disc 2....only....). But then i went to another CL listing and got Brave Fencer Musashi, Megaman X6, and Megaman 9 anniversary for 9$ so.....luck?

On a related note: Tekken 3 always amazes me that it's running on a PS1. Blew my socks off back in the day, and still holds up pretty well now.

Looked great on PS1 and looked mind-blowing @ 640 x480 on bleemcast for DC. I had so much fun with T3, lol. Cemented my love for the franchise, despite me starting off as a VF stalwart.

Weiss

Banned
Picked up Twisted Metal, Legend of Dragoon, and Metal Gear Solid today at a flea market for 45$ total. First time I've ever seen the latter two under 30$.

cj_iwakura

Is Fear Effect still worth a play? I have both it and Retro Helix, but haven't spent much time with either.

Absolutely. FE is a masterpiece.

BosSin

*sigh* yeah normally i know better, i was just juggling a few things between the phone, walking my dog (who was being a dick) and i kinda gave them a cursory glance and just handed him the $ since i needed to get back home...that's what i get though!

sucks though, wanted to play some old tekken. morally, i feel okay just burning a disc and seeing if my top loader PS2 will take it for the moment. and yeah im usually fine with looseys (i put them in DVD cases anyway) but these ones look like they were cleaned with a brillo pad.

edit does GS still resurface? cant hurt to try, ill call & ask on monday

Dude, I don't know about where you are, but near me there is this small shop that has a disc resurface machine. Shit works amazingly. I seriously suggest you go this route

IrishNinja

Dude, I don't know about where you are, but near me there is this small shop that has a disc resurface machine. Shit works amazingly. I seriously suggest you go this route

I'm in Miami and i don't know of any spots like that out here, sadly...again i'm pretty sure Gamestop doesn't do this anymore but i'm gonna ask on monday anyway, can't hurt to try!

Weiss

Banned
So that copy of Legend of Dragoon was missing the first disk :/

I should always inspect these things before I go leave a flea market.

Logash

I am wondering if $30 for a copy of FF7 that has no cracks on the case and comes with the manual is too much. It has the black label and works perfectly. I could not find one cheaper. In fact, some of the more expensive ones had nasty cracks on the case.

I had 186 games on my PS1, I downsized it a lot to pay for my PS2 back in the day. After moving house I found my box of PS1 games. It's not perfect but I think a solid collection regardless.

497F4CD4-E433-4AD3-8F07-0896E152C0BE-216-0000001E9B17DAB6_zps317dbf24.jpg

Whoa, beta copy of Thrill Kill. Is that burnt from a downloaded ISO or some ultra rare actual beta copy?

Recall

Whoa, beta copy of Thrill Kill. Is that burnt from a downloaded ISO or some ultra rare actual beta copy?

Its a gold disc which I was given back in I think 98/99. I also had an alpha version of Driver but have no idea where it is. I don't think they are rare just rom dumps of those builds at the time.

I am wondering if $30 for a copy of FF7 that has no cracks on the case and comes with the manual is too much. It has the black label and works perfectly. I could not find one cheaper. In fact, some of the more expensive ones had nasty cracks on the case.

Thats a fair online price yes.

Teknoman

So that copy of Legend of Dragoon was missing the first disk :/

I should always inspect these things before I go leave a flea market.

Always always look at em before buying.

I'm in Miami and i don't know of any spots like that out here, sadly...again i'm pretty sure Gamestop doesn't do this anymore but i'm gonna ask on monday anyway, can't hurt to try!

Check small game stores or music stores. Some of them have resurfacing machines.

Toothpaste would be my first suggestion ... from cleaning cloudy car headlights to drying up acne, there isn't much it doesn't work wonders on!

Still on a PS1 buying kick, both physical and digital. When it comes to physical copies, my focus is on early titles (especially long boxes), games that aren't on PSN, games that aren't RPGs (I'll never find the time), and online prices around $10 or less shipped.

I made a price exception to grab The Raiden Project last week. I've always wanted that game. Got it for $35. Not a deal, but oh well. And man - game is fun. It really should be on the NA PSN store. It's published by Sony. Maybe some rights issues with the orginal dev?

One more thing - as I was buying a couple other games from a store where I live in the Midwest, the clerk commented that they've been selling a lot of PS1 games lately. I think the nostalgia driven marketing and good vibes around the PS4 launch might be kicking in. Totally anecdotal, though.

Can anyone confirm whether Fear Effect runs on PS3s?
All PS3s run all PS1 discs.

IrishNinja

dont know how much of this can be discussed here, but given my recent disc woes, im looking more into my top-loader case modded PS2 & Swap Magic as far as changing out backup discs to preserve originals, which i knew a good way to stop the disc from spinning but it looks like Swap Magic is the only solution offhand..

Check small game stores or music stores. Some of them have resurfacing machines.

this part's tricky, as we don't seem to have either of those out here sadly. i really don't know where else to try locally if GS doesnt do it anymore, might check with fellow resident 16-bit to see what spots he knows

Toothpaste would be my first suggestion ... from cleaning cloudy car headlights to drying up acne, there isn't much it doesn't work wonders on!

this is my next solution, thanks man!

Rich!

dont know how much of this can be discussed here, but given my recent disc woes, im looking more into my top-loader case modded PS2 & Swap Magic as far as changing out backup discs to preserve originals, which i knew a good way to stop the disc from spinning but it looks like Swap Magic is the only solution offhand..

this part's tricky, as we don't seem to have either of those out here sadly. i really don't know where else to try locally if GS doesnt do it anymore, might check with fellow resident 16-bit to see what spots he knows

this is my next solution, thanks man!

I dont know if you have any left around in the USA, but every single Blockbuster store in the UK is fitted with a Disc Devil disc resurfacer. As a previous store manager, I can attest to those machines working.

Used to bring my ebay purchases into the store all the time, and they were good as new after a minute or so.

gamer_povro

Neo Member
Silver polish like this one:
duraglit5050kg1.jpg

;)

Mzo

Or you could check my PMs sometime!

CD Trader on Sheridan is a small but great local retro place that also happens to have a pro resurfacer.

IrishNinja

yeah, blockbusters left earlier this year, and ive got some polish i use for cart cleaning but i think it's just metal polish? maybe i should try that one

Or you could check my PMs sometime!

CD Trader on Sheridan is a small but great local retro place that also happens to have a pro resurfacer.

Mzo m'man did you PM me? i got nothin on my end from you in the recent past!
and damn, Sheridan & what? doesn't sound too far, i'm here near FIU but like to ride out on weekend mornings when i get off of work, it'd be cool to have a new retro spot! best i found so far was a cosignment shop near Tate's comics but they basically price their stuff off the net so it's a tradeoff of shaving shipping costs but having gas ones, haha.

Mzo

and damn, Sheridan & what? doesn't sound too far, i'm here near FIU but like to ride out on weekend mornings when i get off of work, it'd be cool to have a new retro spot! best i found so far was a cosignment shop near Tate's comics but they basically price their stuff off the net so it's a tradeoff of shaving shipping costs but having gas ones, haha.

Sheridan and like 52nd Ave in a shopping center west of I-95.

lol, I didn't see your February PM until like September and replied back then. We're cursed.

Sinople

The PS1 is my favorite system :)
I've acquired a sizeable collection over the years so why not show it:

I also have Gensou Suikoden 1&2 on PSP and a couple of games on PSN (The Silver Case, Brigandine, Gunparade March, Langrisser I-II and IV-V, etc.).

IrishNinja

^goddamn that's gorgeous, just...just look at all that quality. my god man, great collection.

and MZO m'man, our lines finally crossed, haha

Dougald

yeah, blockbusters left earlier this year, and ive got some polish i use for cart cleaning but i think it's just metal polish? maybe i should try that one

Is there anywhere online that offers a postal service?
I used a place here in the UK several years ago to remove some very deep scratches on some GD-ROMs that those little machines blockbuster, etc have just couldn't shift

Top Bottom