• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

hipgnosis

Brought a couple of games from my parents house, most of my collection is still there. Currently sitting at 128 PAL games. Trying to collect all the rarest and the most obscure titles. Also trying to get the PAL exclusive titles.

kTKItKo.jpg

Never played Vandal Hearts or Breath of Fire IV. Gonna try to beat them as soon as I'm done with my playthrough of Final Fantasy IX. R-Type Delta is still sealed.

IrishNinja

Zing

Banned
I have a hypothesis that, no matter how terrible a game is, there is someone on the Internet who will say it is good.

Everything I know of One is from the linked video. It looked like an extremely basic version of Apocalypse.

Speaking of Apocalypse, everyone should play it. Fun game.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I have a hypothesis that, no matter how terrible a game is, there is someone on the Internet who will say it is good.

Everything I know of One is from the linked video. It looked like an extremely basic version of Apocalypse.

Speaking of Apocalypse, everyone should play it. Fun game.

I rented Apocalypse. I liked it. I liked it when I played the demo on the OPM disc, too. It's not great entertainment or anything, and the game is like... 2 or 3 hours long, but it was a pretty good time. I give it a not thumbs down.

Also, I looked in my closet and HOLY SHIT when did I buy the Fear effect and the JP Um Jammer Lammy? There's stuff I don't even remember buying.

I think I bought them when I was on my PS1 high last year and never actually played any PS1 games.

Edit: Wait, seriously, when the fuck did I buy Gradius Gaiden? WHY IS THIS GAME STILL SEALED WHO PUT THIS GMAE HERE?

IrishNinja

damn, i want a closet like Chacranajxy's...was just thinking id love to get the JP Um Jammer Lammy back for the uncensored final level too

Apocalypse was the one with Bruce Willis? man i get those mixed up.

Danny Dudekisser

damn, i want a closet like Chacranajxy's...was just thinking id love to get the JP Um Jammer Lammy back for the uncensored final level too

Apocalypse was the one with Bruce Willis? man i get those mixed up.

Yeah, it's the Bruce Willis game. That, ODT, ONE, and like a trillion other PS1 games all kinda run together.

I also found a copy of Donpachi in that closet. I opened that one up and played it at some point for like 5-10 minutes. Totally forgot I had it.

Edit: Also, whichever mod gave me this tag, I love you. For whatever reason, I just re-read my OP today and laughed at that part.

Teknoman

I rented Apocalypse. I liked it. I liked it when I played the demo on the OPM disc, too. It's not great entertainment or anything, and the game is like... 2 or 3 hours long, but it was a pretty good time. I give it a not thumbs down.

Also, I looked in my closet and HOLY SHIT when did I buy the Fear effect and the JP Um Jammer Lammy? There's stuff I don't even remember buying.

I think I bought them when I was on my PS1 high last year and never actually played any PS1 games.

Edit: Wait, seriously, when the fuck did I buy Gradius Gaiden? WHY IS THIS GAME STILL SEALED WHO PUT THIS GMAE HERE?

Wardrobe.jpg

I recently replayed Spyro 3, the game blows my mind : it's quite open and there are some clever uses of the console's abilities. As an added bonus I find that it holds up quite well graphically and gameplay-wise.

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
I've finished Galerians yesterday, a bit short but that's expected from a Resident Evil-like game.
Still, I've enjoyed it and might get around playing the sequel soon ( I know it's not good). Now, I'm wondering what other game I should play.

Yuterald

You should be able to get it for pretty cheap on Amazon? I havent gone after it yet (its on my list though) but looking at prices it doesnt seem too...pricey.

Hmm, I'll have to check Amazon then because right now eBay has one complete copy for $52 and another that's disk-only. I never even heard about this game until recently, hah! I was randomly searching PSone lots on eBay the other day and I saw it amongst a pile of other games. The cover/manual art looked cool so I checked out some pictures and I was like, "oh, definitely gotta play this".

So I bought Chrono Cross last night on the PSN sale. Even though I had a giant PS1 collection in high school, the only RPG I had was FF7, of course.

Any tips on enjoying it? I don't want to know anything game-breaking, but any interesting systems to explore or things to pay attention to?

Spoiler free obviously.

So I bought Chrono Cross last night on the PSN sale. Even though I had a giant PS1 collection in high school, the only RPG I had was FF7, of course.

Any tips on enjoying it? I don't want to know anything game-breaking, but any interesting systems to explore or things to pay attention to?

Spoiler free obviously.

If you've played Chrono Trigger, just don't expect it to be CT2

It's a great game (and personally I like it more than CT), but people just set themselves up for disappointment if they want it to be just like CT

other than that, just make sure to play with the characters that you like. there are so many in the game and they're really not too different, so don't feel bad about using your favorites.

Danny Dudekisser

If you've played Chrono Trigger, just don't expect it to be CT2

It's a great game (and personally I like it more than CT), but people just set themselves up for disappointment if they want it to be just like CT

other than that, just make sure to play with the characters that you like. there are so many in the game and they're really not too different, so don't feel bad about using your favorites.

Pretty much. I didn't like CC the first time I tried it, because I went in expecting Chrono Trigger 2, and it's really not that. At all. I made it like an hour in before putting it down.

When I actually gave it a shot to shine on its own merits, I loved it.

Zing

Banned
I just started playing Resident Evil for the first time since it's original release. I forgot that you could choose your character. I'm playing as Chris, and not doing so well. I just reached Rebecca with the first item box, and I am already out of ammo and health. I guess I should restart.

I just started playing Resident Evil for the first time since it's original release. I forgot that you could choose your character. I'm playing as Chris, and not doing so well. I just reached Rebecca with the first item box, and I am already out of ammo and health. I guess I should restart.

I'm not sure I ever beat the game as Chris without a little game shark help. Jill is so much easier with her extra item space and lock-picking skills.

i'm still having my ps1, playing it on my LG M237 monitor via s-video
i know nothing beats SDTV for these classics,but giving that all died and mostly vanished from the market -or sold for ridiculous price-, i believe i got used to the look of the games on HDTV

so, unless i get a chance to try it again in SDTV to see if i really forgot the beauty of it , i'm fine with the HDTV look -the same thing goes with my snes on s-video ,ps2 on component cable and dreamcast on VGA cable/s-video for some unsupported games

Mzo

Depends on where you live I guess, but here in the US you can check out craigslist and get one for free (or easily under $50), no problem. You'd just have to drive over and load it up, which is often easier said than done.

I had to carry my current CRT down a narrow flight of stairs with the help of the guy that sold it to be for $25. Marina Mk.II weighs 170 lbs, and the tube makes sure the weight is mainly distributed to the front. Unwieldy.

Danny Dudekisser

I was at my friend's parents' house last week, and all they had upstairs were flat-screen CRTs. They must've had like 4 or 5 of them, total, and they were a pretty good size. Carressing one of the CRTs, I said to my friend "holy shit, dude, we've gotta play some old school games," and he was like "only you would care about something like this."

Mzo

PS - bring a console to test out the inputs and geometry before lugging one back home. You can touch up some stuff from the service menu, but not everything.

Figured I'd share my stuff.

Xz9uywx.jpg

Not the greatest looking pic, but at least my Lunars stand out!

Although small, I cherish my collection. Still missing a few gems that I need to pick up.

That's a good size library. I wouldn't consider it small. Unless you're a completionist of course!

Not a fan of WD but I do have the mega pack of Arc the Lad games which looks liek it's the one you're missing. Got it cheap at a Comp USA in the mid-aughts. Surprised they still carried new PS1 stuff.

Danny Dudekisser

i see a lotta love for the flat-screen CRTs but at least with the trinotrons, weren't those the late lesser models?

My sister's got a Trinitron from 2000, and it only supports composite. Occasionally, I think to myself "I should steal this thing?" but then I try to hook something up to it and I'm always like "WHAT THE FUCK, SONY?"

Man, if I could buy a CRT that wasn't used, I totally would. But, then, the PS1 looks so insanely good via the XRGB-3 that I don't really care that much when it comes to this system.

Had a pretty good day:

Symphony of the Night price is a fucking joke, but wound up free 'cause they do buy 5 get 6th free (I bought other non-PSX stuff as well).

Pretty happy to have found Lunar and Arc the Lad. Kind of odd that those two were there, but not Lunar 1. Have to assume whoever brought those in had to have owned the first also. Maybe someone beat me to it. Arc the Lad is missing 3 of the 4 red button things, outside of that they're both complete. Always wanted to play Arc the Lad, so it'll probably be the next game I play.

I am told Hoshigami is fucking terrible, but I tend to buy anything with Atlus on it for some reason.

They had Parappa the Rapper for $30 also, sadly it didn't have it's manual or it would have been mine as well.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
^ So you think $25 for SotN is a lot? That's good to hear that such a good game isn't going for $60-100+ these days.

BocoDragon

I forget, was Parappa 1 censored in the US? I know Lammy and Parappa 2 were, but I have no idea as far as the original.

I don't believe so. There was little to censor.

What did they censor in Parappa 2? Was it that McDonald's connection?

Had a pretty good day:

Symphony of the Night price is a fucking joke, but wound up free 'cause they do buy 5 get 6th free (I bought other non-PSX stuff as well).

Pretty happy to have found Lunar and Arc the Lad. Kind of odd that those two were there, but not Lunar 1. Have to assume whoever brought those in had to have owned the first also. Maybe someone beat me to it. Arc the Lad is missing 3 of the 4 red button things, outside of that they're both complete. Always wanted to play Arc the Lad, so it'll probably be the next game I play.

I am told Hoshigami is fucking terrible, but I tend to buy anything with Atlus on it for some reason.

They had Parappa the Rapper for $30 also, sadly it didn't have it's manual or it would have been mine as well.

Nice haul. The Arc the Lad Collection is something I really have to work on picking up in the near future to go alongside my Lunars.

Speaking of Atlus, you should pick up Kartia if you don't have it already. Decent SRPG with Amano artwork.

Parappa didn't come with a manual iirc. Just a single folded front cover and a poster I think. Did it have those instead of a manual, or nothing at all in the front cover slot?

^ So you think $25 for SotN is a lot? That's good to hear that such a good game isn't going for $60-100+ these days.

Looks like non-green label goes for $50. I actually have a black label case, but I don't know what happened to the disc. Can't just put this one in that case either since the discs are different.

It's not a bad price for one of my favorite games ever. Their prices are just usually better than that. You can get it on eBay for that price pretty easily.

Speaking of Atlus, you should pick up Kartia if you don't have it already. Decent SRPG with Amano artwork.

Never heard of it. Goes for pretty cheap online, I'll pick that up immediately.

Parappa didn't come with a manual iirc. Just a single folded front cover and a poster I think. Did it have those instead of a manual, or nothing at all in the front cover slot?

It had a very shittily printed copy of the cover art, like on normal printer paper. Here's my sad confession. A year and a half ago I got a pristine condition copy with the poster and everything from a garage sale for $1. I wasn't in to PSX stuff at the time so I sold it for like $50. Nice profit, but I'd rather have the game now...

BocoDragon

Non-green label looks like it goes for $50. I actually have a black label case, but I don't know what happened to the disc. Can't just put this one in that case either since the discs are different.

I know this because I lost the disc for my black label copy at the turn of the millennium. I shepherded the empty case for over a decade and I managed to score a loose black label disc on ebay for something absurd in 2011. I think it was less than $10.

Danny Dudekisser

Only version of Parappa I've ever owned was that absolutely butt PSP port. I really should remedy this some day.

At least I was smart enough to nab the JP Lammy last year. Easily my favorite in the Parappa series.

Edit: oh, and with Parappa 2, there were a few minor edits to the lyrics. In the burger level, the dude says "tastes better than wine," which was changed to "you better get in line." And one of the levels had "the Lord" censored to "the man," or something.

BocoDragon

Only version of Parappa I've ever owned was that absolutely butt PSP port. I really should remedy this some day.

At least I was smart enough to nab the JP Lammy last year. Easily my favorite in the Parappa series.

I picked it up for a couple yen in Japan last year. Glad to be able to play in hell ;)

But because of the fact that the US version is totally unique (an island), I'm happy to have that version too.

At that same store I also picked up Bust a Move... which is suspiciously similar in that it's also a rhythm game that was censored quite a bit for the US version (which I also have - Bust a Groove). I seem to remember the Japanese version drops an N bomb or two....

Top Bottom