• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

televator

My ps3 is dead, so I can't transfer my ps1 saves to my psp. I did back up a couple on a USB drive, but they're in .psv format and I'm not sure what to do in order to use them on my psp after transferring from a computer.

Any ideas?

Ugh. I learned the hard way that PS3 doesn't automatically back up ps2 and ps1 saves with the system backup manager. I've transfered saves into my PS2 cards from PC using the memory card adapter. Should work for ps1

hipgnosis

2LlMWYP.jpg

hqdefault.jpg
AoCiOi4.png

It's a rainy sunday here and I'm having a super comfortable time playing Grandia! This game puts me in a good mood. Just reached New Parm and Feena's home. The graphics are colourful, the dialogue is funny and the music is super cheery. Loving it. The towns are really detailed and it is a delight to see Justin and Sue commenting everything, there's so much stuff to inspect. The battle system is also great, it's fast and fun.

Downsides are that the performance can dip when there's lots of action on screen and the dungeons can be confusing. I think the game performed better on Saturn, but this port is great nevertheless.

Yeah one of my favorite RPGs on the PS1.

hipgnosis

So I'm making a little poll here. What are your most treasured PS1 items? Pics would be awesome here. I'm a PAL collector and the following are my most treasured items:

pWp0CT9.jpg
wCNUYsz.jpg

kUY7P3S.jpg
TjQn1iV.jpg

bmEUGYw.jpg

The first picture is the PAL release of Megaman X4. It is one of the rarest PAL releases and this one is still sealed. The second picture is the PAL Symphony of the Night Collectors Edition. It includes an artbook and a music CD. This is pretty rare and desired release. Third one is PAL Suikoden 2, in as new condition, probably the rarest PAL jrpg out there. Fourth one is The Legend of Dragoon Press Kit, contains a press CD and is packed in a cardboard box. The last one is the PAL MGS Premium Edition, which comes with a t-shirt, OST, dogtags, postcards, stickers and the game.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Ayup. Blood Omen is pretty fucking amazing, period! :)

Did you know those ugly-ass CGs were rendered on 486s? SK was so poor they had nothing better. Must have taken forever, lol. Yet content-wise and voice direction wise, it's still the best.

First one is a bit better all around, especially art style, but the second is still really good. Both were the only games Whoopee Camp made, and both were amazing.

i only played a little of number 1 and surprisingly 2 as well although i own them now through psn and definately need to go back and complete them

TnK

Done. Was awesome. Controls are pretty janky, but you get used to it. And it's like Metal Gear Solid where they make the game pretty damn easy to compensate for shitty controls. Also like Metal Gear though is that it seems like your health drops fast if you start fucking up. Pretty much the goal is to never be hit, which is pretty easy.

Enjoyable little story and characters. Fairly short so it doesn't overstay its welcome. Will definitely check out Part Two.

Wonder if Part Two says the same thing after the credits...
The second game is better than the first overall. Surprised that you enjoyed the first so much, as I saw it not aging well due to controls. I still really love this game though.
Oh yeah, since they fixed the controls in part 2, the game is a much, much harder. Especially the final area and boss.
I would agree with this statement. Klonoa is incredible.

Though personally, I do prefer the Wii one.
That good huh? Time to track down the game. What's the difference between both games, aside from the graphics.
2LlMWYP.jpg

hqdefault.jpg
AoCiOi4.png

It's a rainy sunday here and I'm having a super comfortable time playing Grandia! This game puts me in a good mood. Just reached New Parm and Feena's home. The graphics are colourful, the dialogue is funny and the music is super cheery. Loving it. The towns are really detailed and it is a delight to see Justin and Sue commenting everything, there's so much stuff to inspect. The battle system is also great, it's fast and fun.

Downsides are that the performance can dip when there's lots of action on screen and the dungeons can be confusing. I think the game performed better on Saturn, but this port is great nevertheless.

Always wanted to play Grandia, looks really fun. I remember choosing to play Xenogears instead of Grandia back in 2005, and never going back to Grandia. I may try to track the game down.
So I'm making a little poll here. What are your most treasured PS1 items? Pics would be awesome here. I'm a PAL collector and the following are my most treasured items:

pWp0CT9.jpg
wCNUYsz.jpg

kUY7P3S.jpg
TjQn1iV.jpg

bmEUGYw.jpg

The first picture is the PAL release of Megaman X4. It is one of the rarest PAL releases and this one is still sealed. The second picture is the PAL Symphony of the Night Collectors Edition. It includes an artbook and a music CD. This is pretty rare and desired release. Third one is PAL Suikoden 2, in as new condition, probably the rarest PAL jrpg out there. Fourth one is The Legend of Dragoon Press Kit, contains a press CD and is packed in a cardboard box. The last one is the PAL MGS Premium Edition, which comes with a t-shirt, OST, dogtags, postcards, stickers and the game.
PAL's SotN release looks like the LE japanese release. Does it contain a short manga where alucard wakes up from his coffin to go after richter?
Also, I remember that they sold MMX4 PAL in abundance here. NTSC version was still the way to go.
Legend of Dragoon's PAL release also looks awesome.

Zing

Banned
Grandia is too fun. I was daunted by the case proclaiming 80 hours of play, so I wanted to dislike the game. Unfortunately, it actually turned out to be well made and enjoyable.

Shining

Grandia really is great. It captures the spirit of being a restless kid perfectly. I love the little details such as knocking over furniture or brooms while walking past them. And Justin's interaction with his mother always puts a smile on my face, to name a few things.

hipgnosis

PAL's SotN release looks like the LE japanese release. Does it contain a short manga where alucard wakes up from his coffin to go after richter?

Yes it contains that manga, it's pretty awesome actually. It is also in japanese so I think it might be the same artbook content wise as the japanese release.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
That good huh? Time to track down the game. What's the difference between both games, aside from the graphics.

The music's got slightly different (and IMO, better) instrumentation in the Wii version. The Wii version also gives you a five heart life bar, instead of the three you have in the PS1 version, and there's also a new spin attack or something in the Wii version, which... you don't have to use at all, nor is it particularly useful. The Wii version is easier overall (though both games are easy), but the aesthetics are so overwhelmingly improved that it wins out for me. The PS1 version shows you a dream world, the Wii version puts you there.

Teknoman

Did japan and europe get better cases than north america? I just imported super robot wars alpha gaiden, and the thick case just looks awrsome. Looking at some other pics, it seems close to the eu casrs in style.

Did japan and europe get better cases than north america? I just imported super robot wars alpha gaiden, and the thick case just looks awrsome. Looking at some other pics, it seems close to the eu casrs in style.

Only certain games have those thick cases. Others are the same size as regular jewel cases (at least for Japanese games).

Some Japanese games are in several varieties of those thick cases, and others are in normal jewelcases. It's a mixture.

Done. Was awesome. Controls are pretty janky, but you get used to it. And it's like Metal Gear Solid where they make the game pretty damn easy to compensate for shitty controls. Also like Metal Gear though is that it seems like your health drops fast if you start fucking up. Pretty much the goal is to never be hit, which is pretty easy.

Enjoyable little story and characters. Fairly short so it doesn't overstay its welcome. Will definitely check out Part Two.

Wonder if Part Two says the same thing after the credits...

I love Megaman Legends, I found it as a steal for like $15 a couple years ago, and have been on a never ending search for Megaman Legends 2 for a good price. I've only ever saw it once in my life and it was at this local game store for like $120.

I love Megaman Legends, I found it as a steal for like $15 a couple years ago, and have been on a never ending search for Megaman Legends 2 for a good price. I've only ever saw it once in my life and it was at this local game store for like $120.

I lucked out on MML2 a few months back. I was at one of my local spots right when it came into the store and got it for $50. Great condition with instructions and everything. I didn't ever really plan on getting it since I knew it went for so much. I was pretty happy. Especially since the store had nothing else that day. Thought I was going to be leaving empty handed until I asked the employee if they had any other PSX stuff that wasn't out on the floor yet and he pulled it out.

I lucked out on MML2 a few months back. I was at one of my local spots right when it came into the store and got it for $50. Great condition with instructions and everything. I didn't ever really plan on getting it since I knew it went for so much. I was pretty happy. Especially since the store had nothing else that day. Thought I was going to be leaving empty handed until I asked the employee if they had any other PSX stuff that wasn't out on the floor yet and he pulled it out.

Wow, I would have totally jumped on it at that price as well. I have a friend who also owns it and will not sell it to me because he knows the value of it as well..that bastard. I still hope and dream for the day I find it at a garage sale for like $5 and absolutely lose my mind.

These load times and slow down in Blood Omen are the fucking worst.

Yeah, gets really bad when you are fighting things that are better killed with different weapons between them. Having to load into the inventory a few times for one screen is terrible.

There are some crazy secrets in that game. Like waiting certain days for a teleporter to activate with no real indication.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
These load times and slow down in Blood Omen are the fucking worst.
Yeah. :( Are they bad on the PSN download too? I wonder if the digital game improved things a bit...

Yeah, gets really bad when you are fighting things that are better killed with different weapons between them. Having to load into the inventory a few times for one screen is terrible.
A tip that may help you to not go completely crazy in the Oracle cave: keep the mace equipped to smash the obstacles, and use magic (energy bolt works fine) or consumables (flays, implodes, etc. you should have accumulated quite a bunch by then) to kill the monsters. Otherwise you need the axes to do serious damage to them and switching between the axes and the mace is unbearable.

There are some crazy secretes in that game. Like waiting certain days for a teleporter to activate with no real indication.
Once you figure out certain doors open
only on full moons
, it becomes fairly easy, if perhaps time consuming, to get all the secrets. I thought the game had some really awesome secrets myself. My favourite is the
Lost City, in the Lake of the Dead, with all those demon-infested pyramids. So fucking cool.

Leynos

I still want to somehow find a way into that secret
pirate ship that was found not too long ago.
Unfortunately, I only have the PSX version, and no cheat device. I don't even know if they work on a PS3.

I still want to somehow find a way into that secret
pirate ship that was found not too long ago.
Unfortunately, I only have the PSX version, and no cheat device. I don't even know if they work on a PS3.

Yeah, don't think anyone has found a legit way onto that, and their probably isn't one.

Lost city was defiantly my favorite as well.

TnK

Cases like these make me REALLY happy I got both MML1 and 2 for $45. This was back in 2008 though.

So how long until PSX games become unplayable and start cracking?

Cases like these make me REALLY happy I got both MML1 and 2 for $45. This was back in 2008 though.

So how long until PSX games become unplayable and start cracking?

I think that is scheduled for next week. Don't worry thought, I can take all that outdated stuff off your hands for you for no cost.

Recall

My PS1 collection is still all in really good shape (if a little dusty) to say these are all games I bought upon their original release and they've done well not to get damaged after all this time.

I sold a lot of it to get my PS2 but still have about 40 or so games.

image_zps3a6360d6.jpg

image_zps12fc379f.jpg

image_zpse99a3ad5.jpg

My PS1 collection is still all in really good shape (if a little dusty) to say these are all games I bought upon their original release and they've done well not to get damaged after all this time.

I sold a lot of it to get my PS2 but still have about 40 or so games.

image_zps3a6360d6.jpg

image_zps12fc379f.jpg

image_zpse99a3ad5.jpg

I really want to play Rival Schools and Project Justice!
Lucky dog

Also is pocket fighter actually good? Never Played it and always got it confused with Puzzle Fighter.

sn00zer

2LlMWYP.jpg

hqdefault.jpg
AoCiOi4.png

Loved playing this on vita, perfect pick up and play RPG

Wow, I would have totally jumped on it at that price as well. I have a friend who also owns it and will not sell it to me because he knows the value of it as well..that bastard. I still hope and dream for the day I find it at a garage sale for like $5 and absolutely lose my mind.

Getting MML2 was one of my favorite finds. I started getting serious about collecting back in 2008 or so, so I was on eBay trying to pick up cheap stuff all the time. I came across a misspelled auction for complete copies of all of the PS1 Mega Man games (8, X4, X5, X6, Japanese copy of DASH, Legends, Legends 2, and Misadventures of Tron Bonne) that was ending pretty soon. Luckily, I managed to snipe it at the last second and won for a total of around $26 shipped. Now, even though these games weren't as valuable as they are now (MML was going for about $7 for a complete black label copy, MML2 was around $45, and Tron Bonne was in the $90 range), I knew I had scored a really great deal.

Two weeks later and the package had never showed up. I contacted the seller and he was really spotty when it came to communication and he assured me that he was looking into it. I got really discouraged at that point--I figured that he realized that his stuff sold for WAY under what it was worth and that he was pulling the "oops, package got lost, let me just refund you" thing so he could relist the games and get a considerably larger amount of money for them. Luckily, I was just freaking out and the package showed up about a week later--turns out he had put down the wrong ZIP code.

Definitely not my best find when it comes to pure monetary value, but it's definitely one of my more memorable ones simply because of the situation and how much I loved the games.

I own a copy of Splinter Cell and Metal Gear Solid for the PS1 and they are just the funniest games. Graphically it looks terrible, but the part that makes me laugh the most is that these games still hold up in comparison to some of the latest games.

I mean for one they don't crash, solid mechanics and for the most part just fun gameplay.

That said the game I play the most for the PS1 has to be Crash Bandicoot. Man that game was awesome.

Also is pocket fighter actually good? Never Played it and always got it confused with Puzzle Fighter.
It's a fun game. I only ever played it since it was included as a bonus game on the Street Fighter Alpha Anthology on PS2. Don't know how the standalone PS1 version compares though.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I own a copy of Splinter Cell and Metal Gear Solid for the PS1 and they are just the funniest games. Graphically it looks terrible, but the part that makes me laugh the most is that these games still hold up in comparison to some of the latest games.

I mean for one they don't crash, solid mechanics and for the most part just fun gameplay.

That said the game I play the most for the PS1 has to be Crash Bandicoot. Man that game was awesome.

Splinter Cell on the PS1?

Teknoman

I bet he meant Syphon Filter.

Imo Metal Gear still looks good in that clean low poly way. The graphics just have a cold, sharp, metal feel to them (I know...I know...i'm being serious though).

Morfeo

I bet he meant Syphon Filter.

Imo Metal Gear still looks good in that clean low poly way. The graphics just have a cold, sharp, metal feel to them (I know...I know...i'm being serious though).

Yeah, I think its one of the best looking game ever. They did the faces, characters and enviroments in a way that makes them all mysterious and interesting, and I think the graphics really add to the tension, atmosphere and my feelings for the characters in the game. Of course Twin Snakes ruined all this, and ended up being a much inferior experience imo.

Yeah, having only played MGS1 for the first time a year or so ago, I feel like MGS1's art style being a product of it's time arguably works to it's advantage. It really goes hand in hand with the atmosphere of the game.

Made a small pickup yesterday:

Lost my copy years ago, and it irked me that I had III, but not IV.

Glad I have 'em both now.

Morfeo

Yeah, having only played MGS1 for the first time a year or so ago, I feel like MGS1's art style being a product of it's time arguably works to it's advantage. It really goes hand in hand with the atmosphere of the game.

Made a small pickup yesterday:

Lost my copy years ago, and it irked me that I had III, but not IV.

Glad I have 'em both now.

Very nice! I only have 1, 4 and 5 myself which I need to fix soon.

Teknoman

Alright finally had the chance to get to a place with a resurfacer...but they only had a sorta cheap one. Wasnt industrial strength or whatever (those large boxes).

Still no Megaman Legends 2 luck. It still goes past the Capcom screen, then nothing. Gonna give it one more shot and try to get back to the place that I know has a really good buffer.

EDIT: lol I wasnt expecting that.

Alright finally had the chance to get to a place with a resurfacer...but they only had a sorta cheap one. Wasnt industrial strength or whatever (those large boxes).

Still no Megaman Legends 2 luck. It still goes past the Capcom screen, then nothing. Gonna give it one more shot and try to get back to the place that I know has a really good buffer.

EDIT: lol I wasnt expecting that.

I wonder if Gamestop would have/allow customers to pay for a buffer?

Top Bottom