• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Peltz

Multiplayer isn't a problem, as that yellow cable is pass-though. Just plug player 2 into the back of Player 1.

guncon-b.gif

If you're set up with RGB, track down the SCPH-1160 accessory. I still have mine from way back in the day when I used to have to play Time Crisis over RF, but had a later model Playstation without the RCA jacks on the back. This should work on your setup.

And if it's a big enough concern you don't want to consider the Guncon, there are plenty other PlayStation lightguns that don't use the yellow av input like the Konami Hyper Blaster

Why the heck did they make the gun to need composite? Lightguns that existed a decade prior to the PS1 worked without that. Is there any advantage to that pass through setup? More accuracy?

Khaz

Definitely

It's easily the best lightgun I've ever used.

iwannaseethereceipt.gif

Probably more accurate than the NES lightgun, but anything is more accurate than an NES lightgun. More accurate than other timing-based lightguns though?

Coincidentally I just received my SCPH-1160 adapter. I ordered it to have audio out for an amplifier, and also try to solve the usual cheap Scart audio buzz. Using the audio out on the adapter only, without the Scart cable, makes the buzzing disappear completely, plugging in the Scart cable (even not plugged to the TV) and the buzzing is back. With that ebay seller short of playstation plugs to make good quality Scart cables, I guess I'll have to do some surgery to prevent audio to get out of the adapter.

Mzo

You have to calibrate the GunCon for your current position and can't really move around the room or anything, but in the end it is super accurate and reliable.

They're way more durable than GunCon 2s.

iwannaseethereceipt.gif

Probably more accurate than the NES lightgun, but anything is more accurate than an NES lightgun. More accurate than other timing-based lightguns though?

Coincidentally I just received my SCPH-1160 adapter. I ordered it to have audio out for an amplifier, and also try to solve the usual cheap Scart audio buzz. Using the audio out on the adapter only, without the Scart cable, makes the buzzing disappear completely, plugging in the Scart cable (even not plugged to the TV) and the buzzing is back. With that ebay seller short of playstation plugs to make good quality Scart cables, I guess I'll have to do some surgery to prevent audio to get out of the adapter.

is this the reason retro_console_accessories isn't offering them any more? If so that's a serious bummer. I could really use one of those.

So I only have three games for my ps1 (except from when I was a kid and had Spongebob, Teletubbies, and a mouth full of sports games): Ape Escape, Street Fighter Alpha 3, and Parappa the Rapper. I just bought FF8 on ebay and I'm starting to look at other games. Since I don't have that many games right now, I'm aiming more at cheap titles. There are a few I had in mind and I would like to get GAF's impressions before I make a mistake. I'm interested in all of these btw.

- Alundra
- Disruptor
- Micro Machines V3
- Roll Away
- Return Fire

Or is there other games that I should pick up first?

I'll stand behind Micro Machines V3 at least, amazing multiplayer hours spent in it. You can even share a controller for four player fun like the older versions. I actually liked the singleplayer too, but it shines in multi. Should have held up fairly well thanks to the simple 3D car models and not very distant camera angles and smaller areas.

Yeah, I just looked up Alundra's price on ebay, and it seems like $50 is the middle-ground if you want the whole package in good shape. Oh well, I'll definitely keep an eye on it.

Not surprised most people know about some of the games I listed. I went searching for obscure ps1 games and those looked the best.

IrishNinja

Mzo totally hooked it up with Alundra a while back, he's a good dude. i should really finish it one day despite still being salty about the twist being ruined in an old issue of Game Players (the letter section, no less!).

the last square game i lack, Threads of Fate, still looks cheap...prolly shoulda grabbed Arc the Lad trilogy or whatever while it was reasonably cheap though

Yeah, I just looked up Alundra's price on ebay, and it seems like $50 is the middle-ground if you want the whole package in good shape. Oh well, I'll definitely keep an eye on it.

Not surprised most people know about some of the games I listed. I went searching for obscure ps1 games and those looked the best.

that is a good point. what are the go-to cheap-o PS1 games that should be recommended to anyone on a budget?

Wipeout 3 has got to be one of them.

Wipeout and Ape Escape can both be found for under 10$ (though ape escape a bit less frequently). I'd say the Crash and Spyro series are also good for someone on a budget. most of them can be found for 12-15$ if you're a bit patient, and they're awesome games.

Zing

Banned
Ape Escape is one of my all time favourites. I played it for the first time a few years ago and hated it. I kept it around and tried again about a year later. I almost played through it completely twice in a row, it was that fun.

So I only have three games for my ps1 (except from when I was a kid and had Spongebob, Teletubbies, and a mouth full of sports games): Ape Escape, Street Fighter Alpha 3, and Parappa the Rapper. I just bought FF8 on ebay and I'm starting to look at other games. Since I don't have that many games right now, I'm aiming more at cheap titles. There are a few I had in mind and I would like to get GAF's impressions before I make a mistake. I'm interested in all of these btw.

- Alundra
- Disruptor
- Micro Machines V3
- Roll Away
- Return Fire

Or is there other games that I should pick up first?

return fire and disruptor were the first 2 games i owned for the system...they were both password games and i didnt have a memory card yet...I love them both, and recommend them!

Peltz

Is there any difference to the feel of a PS1 Dual Shock Controller in comparison to the feel of a PS2 Dual Shock?

I know the face buttons on PS2 are analogue, but do any Playstation vets feel like that makes a difference in the actual feel of the buttons?

Same question applies to d-pad, shoulder buttons, analogue sticks, etc... Does anything feel different when playing PS1 games?

Khaz

Uh, I bought Alundra, complete for $30 last November. And it was a BIN from one of those big sellers with thousands of rep and millions of games in store.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Uh, I bought Alundra, complete for $30 last November. And it was a BIN from one of those big sellers with thousands of rep and millions of games in store.
Yeah it's way higher now. Which sucks since I sold a copy for $30 assuming I could replace it for around the same amount of money. :(

kaiju

Picked up both Vandal Hearts games. Can't say I know much about these games as I've previously never played them. Didn't even know there was a second one, discovered it while searching for the first. Just played a bit of the first one and so far it's pretty fun, seems like a decent strategy game.

017_zpsfpw68oan.jpg

020_zpsgzcbbi4e.jpg

Erebus

Is there any difference to the feel of a PS1 Dual Shock Controller in comparison to the feel of a PS2 Dual Shock?

I know the face buttons on PS2 are analogue, but do any Playstation vets feel like that makes a difference in the actual feel of the buttons?

Same question applies to d-pad, shoulder buttons, analogue sticks, etc... Does anything feel different when playing PS1 games?

Apart from the pressure sensitive buttons, I don't think there's much -if any- difference between the two versions.

Khaz

I just got myself a copy of Gamera 2000. I love the cheesy/awkward live action sequences, they are a very cool addition to the game. The game itself is a very competent clone of Panzer Dragoon and I quite enjoy it!

shot6.jpg

Mzo

this is definitely the minority. and "a couple of idiots" is an understatement. At what point are so many idiots overpricing something that this price simply becomes accurate?

BINs should never become the default price for an item. Doesn't matter how many people are doing it.

BTails

Picked up Fear Effect and Blood Omen Legacy of Kain today. Very excited to check them both out! Great condition too, with all the manuals etc.

Have you ever played Fear Effect? I love that game: very cool art style and decent action. I remember really getting into the plot too. I rented it when it first came out, then bought it years later and replayed it.

I have to play the sequel again, I haven't played it since it released (I remember there were some pretty provocative ads when released, I'm surprised my parents bought it for teenage me)

Have you ever played Fear Effect? I love that game: very cool art style and decent action. I remember really getting into the plot too. I rented it when it first came out, then bought it years later and replayed it.

I have to play the sequel again, I haven't played it since it released (I remember there were some pretty provocative ads when released, I'm surprised my parents bought it for teenage me)
Never actually played it, but it looked great on the back cover and I did a quick look up on it and it seems to be rated well. I'm very intrigued by it. The copy I got is in great condition too.

Leynos

I just got myself a copy of Gamera 2000. I love the cheesy/awkward live action sequences, they are a very cool addition to the game. The game itself is a very competent clone of Panzer Dragoon and I quite enjoy it!

shot6.jpg

How have I not heard of this game before? I mean, other than the fact that it is a Japan-only release with a questionable license. From videos, and what I've read, it looks like a ton of fun.

Now, I highly doubt it, but can a US PS3 play Japanese PSX games?

Edit: nope, PSX, and PS2 games are still region-locked on PS3.

thomasos

Hey PS1 GAF, pretty excited about my latest pickup. I've been trying to get my hands on a nice copy of this one for a long time.

l0AqGdp.jpg

Here's the collection as it stands now.

1RedhME.jpg

iy65TJR.jpg

FjgfmE7.jpg

Still so many great games I'm missing, though. And I really need to replace that Crash 3 Greatest Hits. (I don't think Final Fantasy Origins came in a non-Greatest Hits version.)

The Klonoa is signed by creator/director Hideo Yoshizawa, who gave one of the most insightful and enjoyable interviews I ever conducted. It was immediately obvious how something so delightful as Klonoa emanated from his brain.

Top Bottom