• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

maxresdefault.jpg

I want to flip this PM me

kaiju

So I finally got my lazy ass around to taking a screen of my collection, and figured I would contribute to the thread. I am saddened that I can't seem to find my copy of Breath of Fire IV, not sure what happened to it, I may have to pick up another copy off ebay :(. Quite a few of my cases have been roughed up over the years, and I may need to replace some of them. Also need to see if I can get a case for Metal Gear Solid, since it was given to me from a friend without its original case. Thankfully though, most of the game discs are in excellent condition.

First thing I worked on were the Guncoms and Point Blanks/Time Crisis. Still have my old tube TV I bought right before the PS2 came out, and have been enjoying some classic light gun action with my two older kids. They both love the point blank games, which are imo, the best light gun games out there.

Also took the suggestion of one of the posts here for the Acii Grip one handed controller. I recall PSM (such a great mag btw) really raving about it back in the day, but I never grabbed it even though I have a lot JRPG's that it was designed for. Tried it out after I got it, and its really awesome, I shouldn't have waited so long to get it.

Even though I have a pretty good start there are a good number of games I still want to grab. Probably work on replacing my BoF IV (still a bit miffed about that), and getting Mega Man Legends 1 to complete the MML games. I really really want to get Tales of Destiny, but man i'm not seeing many that don't usually go for about $100. I really love ToD too, but man..its hard to justify that much on a game, especially one released so long ago...but i'm sure i'll break sometime. The PS1 is definitely special to me, and I have been having a ton of fun adding more games to my collection. What an amazing console.

Very nice collection! I agree PS1 games are a lot of fun to collect, addicting even. Play Blood Omen! Damn good game. I still need to find out if the secret areas are in the PS1 version.

Also, since you like Guncon games, check out Elemental Gearbolt if you haven't already. It's a beautiful yet challenging light gun game.

Sojiro

Very nice collection! I agree PS1 games are a lot of fun to collect, addicting even. Play Blood Omen! Damn good game. I still need to find out if the secret areas are in the PS1 version.

Also, since you like Guncon games, check out Elemental Gearbolt if you haven't already. It's a beautiful yet challenging light gun game.

Isn't it though? I'm glad my wife hasn't totaled up what i've spent on ebay lately lol. I'm really looking forward to blood omen, I loved soul reaver, but I know Omen is a very different beast, but one I am eager to play. I do plan on picking up Gearbolt, I just wanted to get the other Guncon games first since they are pretty cheap, still need to get Time Crisis: Project Titan, and the first Point Blank, but Elemental Gearbolt is definitely on the list :).

So I've decided to break in to the PSX japanese shmup genre. Currently debating between G-Darius, Einhander, or one of the Parodius games.

Any other suggestions or recommendations? I think I've looked over most of the big ones, but I'm all ears to something with interesting art or different gameplay.

^Raiden Project is quality, and still one of the only good ports of Raiden II. I'm not even sure it's been emulated yet.

as of right now the Raiden series is lower priority just because I don't find the art as interesting (lol). Might be a bit backwards, but I value that sort of thing highly with genres that're pretty gameplay focused in their totality.

I'll look in to it though, thanks

**Oh, I also prefer horizontal shmups. They're just easier on my brain for whatever reason. Vertical shmups throw me off.

tav7623

Figured it was time for a collection update cause it's been nearly 8 months since I posted my collection on here and in that time I've picked up a few more PS1 games. Now most of these "new" additions were games that I owned at one time, but over time I traded away. I recently decided to reacquire them because I had fond playing them back in the day and wanted to revisit them.

Notes:
1.One of the games pictured below (Resident Evil 2, which is located on the bottom right of the pic) was mentioned in my first collection post, but it was not shown.

2. All of these games with the exception of Parasite Eve which is missing the demo disc that came with the game's first release are CIB.

3. There is one title not pictured below and that is the PSN/PS1 Classics version of Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, which I picked up while it was on sale earlier this year. The game now brings my digital PS1 collection on my PS3 up to 14 games.

Khaz

**Oh, I also prefer horizontal shmups. They're just easier on my brain for whatever reason. Vertical shmups throw me off.

Definitely Gradius Gaiden. Probably the best pixel Gradius.
I hear Sexy Parodius is awesome too. I'm still waiting for my (Saturn) copy, stuck at customs.

Yep Gradius Gaiden is terrific. It's one of the few games that don't work perfectly on PS2s though, so if you plan on picking it up make sure you have a PS1 capable of playing JP games.

Yep Gradius Gaiden is terrific. It's one of the few games that don't work perfectly on PS2s though, so if you plan on picking it up make sure you have a PS1 capable of playing JP games.

Damn. That's a deal breaker for right now. I intend to get a PSOne at some point in the near future, but that's not on the table for at least a few months. Good that you let me know, thanks.

Bar81

Damn. That's a deal breaker for right now. I intend to get a PSOne at some point in the near future, but that's not on the table for at least a few months. Good that you let me know, thanks.

It works fine up to the last level so it's not like it's unplayable.

New arrivals. Got some good deals on these. Digimon World 2 for $30, Legend of Legaia for $20 and Kartia for under ten. It was a good weekend.

You should give Legaia a playthrough for the battle system alone. Kartia is pretty fun but the whole card summoning system is really weird, I don't think I really understood it at the time if I remember correctly.

hm.. Well I'll keep it in mind.

Leaning towards G Darius.

I picked this up from a local Craigslister for $4 recently. The same guy has a copy of Gekioh: Shooting King for $8 but I didn't see it in his blurry picture the first time I talked to him and my follow-up attempts to reach him have gone nowhere. That one sells in ebay auctions for about $30 or $35 right now.

I picked this up from a local Craigslister for $4 recently. The same guy has a copy of Gekioh: Shooting King for $8 but I didn't see it in his blurry picture the first time I talked to him and my follow-up attempts to reach him have gone nowhere. That one sells in ebay auctions for about $30 or $35 right now.

Gonna start a collection of japanese shmups complete with spine cards for that sexy display :D

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It does work perfectly on certain models of PS2 slim. Presumably because they switched to partial software emulation in late PS2s.

kaiju

You should give Legaia a playthrough for the battle system alone. Kartia is pretty fun but the whole card summoning system is really weird, I don't think I really understood it at the time if I remember correctly.

Yeah I beat Legaia way back when it first came out. Looking forward to playing it again to see how it still holds up. Surprised I found it at that price, last time I checked it was going for $40-50.

Glad to pickup Kartia also. I knew Amano did the character designs but I didn't know his artwork would actually show up in game, which is a huge plus for me.

Bar81

Arent there two Raiden projects or something on PS1? Or am I thinking of something else?

Raiden Project is a port of Raiden 1+2. Raiden DX is a port of... well...Raiden DX, which is an improved remix of Raiden 2 (think of it as what Metal Slug X is to Metal Slug 2).

Raiden Project is another one I picked up for a fairly reasonable price in the last year. There's a hint of lag when playing on my PS3, of course, so I'm looking forward to popping that into my PS2 when it arrives next week. In fact that's probably the first game I'll play on it. My PS2 games aren't as accessible as my PS1 stuff right now.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Thanks. I have Soul Reaver on the Dreamcast ,so I think I will let it slide from my PS1 collection :). I actually have never played Blood Omen! I've seen a lot of praise for it so i'm eager to give it a shot. I am starting to get to the point where some of the ones I want to pick up are getting higher and higher to nab, things like Persona 1 and 2, Valkyrie Profile, and ToD. Thankfully, there are still quite a few that are not as expensive as those, but man I really want ToD :(.
Ohhh you have the Dreamcast version which is the best version. All is forgiven then. ;)

Blood Omen will have rough loading times, but it's otherwise still very playable, like a dark gothic horror version of Zelda ALttP. I hope you like it, but it's worth playing for the amazing story, VA and atmosphere.

Fedemgsuy

Just got Arc the Lad collection CIB, 80 bucks (including shipping to Uruguay from Australia), so happy right now, been wanting it for years.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I won an auction for the Japanese version of Castlevania Chronicles tonight for $15, I am super juiced about that!

Nice video reviewing the PS1 launch library in retrospect
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsJVqC0pPFY

Nice vid, watching it now. The guy has a clear and strong voice, without babbling on randomly too, I like that.

Edit: Finished watching it now, good coverage for the US launch titles on PS1. I kind of disagreed on the two folowing quotes:
"I'd rather play [Street Fighter The Movie] any day over all the Mortal Kombat games." like WTF?!

and "If you drift, you're doing it wrong" about Ridge Racer. A technique that was required to beat the sharpest corners and to get past them in the quickest way!

Khaz

"I'd rather play [Street Fighter The Movie] any day over all the Mortal Kombat games." like WTF?!

Well, console Street Fighter: the Movie: The game had the same engine as Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, only with cheesy graphics. So it boils down to whether you like Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat gameplay.

Don't haze me because it's taken me so long, but I just finished playing through Symphony of the Night for the first time. I can't believe that it's taken me this long to actually play it. I had only played around with a little of Circle of the Moon and the NES games but this one just blew all of that out of the water.

Mzo

That was a really cool video. I definitely agree about SF The Movie, but then again I've never liked MK haha.

I beat the Saturn version at Irishninja's place last weekend. That final Bison took so long AND THEN HE REVIVED AND WAS EVEN HARDER. Eventually figured out a few things that worked against the AI and had to get lucky enough to have them all happen in a single match to win, but ugh.

It's outside the purview of the video so I understand, but he doesn't mention that SF The Movie The Game had a really fucked control scheme in the arcade and didn't really play like SF until the console ports.

Don't haze me because it's taken me so long, but I just finished playing through Symphony of the Night for the first time. I can't believe that it's taken me this long to actually play it. I had only played around with a little of Circle of the Moon and the NES games but this one just blew all of that out of the water.

Did you really finish it?

Did you really finish it?

Okay, okay -- you saw right through me. I only did the lame ending. Give me a break, Xenoblade 3D is out tomorrow and I'm jonesing to play it again.

I'm planning to jump back into it and do the Inverted Castle after I'm done with school this summer. I've heard nothing but amazing things about playing through with Richter.

The arcade version of SF The Movie sucks ass, but the console versions were surprisingly solid since they redid the fighting engine to play like ST

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The arcade version of SF The Movie sucks ass, but the console versions were surprisingly solid since they redid the fighting engine to play like ST

Huh.... I've always heard the exact opposite -- that the arcade version was kinda okay but the console versions were butt.

Khaz

Apparently Capcom was pretty pissed at the terrible arcade controls and took the console port back home to slap the digitized sprites on a competent engine.

Top Bottom