• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Huh.... I've always heard the exact opposite -- that the arcade version was kinda okay but the console versions were butt.

if you like Super Street Fighter II Turbo, then you like the console versions of the movie game. The arcade game was a completely broken mess that makes no sense and plays nothing like a Street Fighter game.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
The arcade had controls like fucking Primal Rage IIRC.

Wasn't quite that bad. The arcade version wasn't developed by Capcom and I guess they decided to create a new version for the home consoles instead of porting the arcade version over. Like it's been said already, they changed the game play to something very similar to SSF2T, so we got a mediocre version of that with crappy graphics and Captain Sawada in place of Fei-Long. The arcade version was at least something different and it also looked better than the home ports. I mean, it still looked like a poor MK clone, but it was better than the PS1/Saturn versions.

I owned SF: The Movie very briefly when the PS1 came out. Toshinden got old fast and there were no other fighting games to play. MK3 was not really for me and I preferred the Genesis version to the PS1 version -the PS1 version may have looked and sounded much better, but the load times were awful- so it really wasn't until Zero Divide came out in the U.S. towards the end of 1995 and when Street Fighter Zero came out in Japan around the same time that fighting games kept me glued to the PS1.

The arcade version is way more fun because of the broken juggle system. PS1 version is a boring digitized graphics ST that isn't nearly as good as ST.

The arcade had controls like fucking Primal Rage IIRC.

It had regular street fighter inputs. not that "hold 2 buttons then press back and forth, then spin the joystick, release one button, press forward, release the other" shit. maybe i'm exaggerating primal rage's controls a little.

jerry1594

I found some Rockman complete works games overseas for less than on ebay (lot of 6 for 450, lol). Having only played 1 and 2, which should I get besides? And also, which ps1 controller do you guys prefer out of the 4(?) released for ps1?

I found some Rockman complete works games overseas for less than on ebay (lot of 6 for 450, lol). Having only played 1 and 2, which should I get besides? And also, which ps1 controller do you guys prefer out of the 4(?) released for ps1?

MM3 is my favorite one. Seems to be popular among series fans as well.

As far as Sony's first party controllers goes, I still like the original digital pads. You lose utility without any analog sticks and rumble, but to me they're just the most comfortable to hold. And hey; good enough for the 2014 evo champion, good enough for me.

jerry1594

I was looking at those a bit earlier, but I'm curious why they share the same model number as the analog controller?
Edit- nvm I'm can't decipher number glyphs

Khaz

As far as Sony's first party controllers goes, I still like the original digital pads. You lose utility without any analog sticks and rumble, but to me they're just the most comfortable to hold. And hey; good enough for the 2014 evo champion, good enough for me.

I do think having the two sticks sticking out with games that don't use them is annoying. I always have the reflex to try to move my character with the thumbstick in FF VII, and then being irritated that I can't. I solved the problem with RPGs by using an ASCII Grip instead.

kaiju

Latest pickups have all been PAL exclusives. Many of these are quality games, with Space Debris, Invasion and Viper as current favorites. Omega Assault might have the best worst PS1 cover ever, reminds me of the Mega Man NA glory days.

palps1_zpsd4vhgum4.jpg

Biggest surprise is the Dinosaur in Action Man Destruction X. It looks great for a PS1 game, I'd say it could even pass for a PS2 era boss. Not saying the game is all that great, but the graphics are impressive for PS1.

Comparing it to the Dinosaur in Tomb Raider isn't very fair, as TR was an earlier PS1 game as opposed to a later release such as AMDX. But it's an interesting look at how far games progressed near the late side of the PS1's lifecycle.

Tomb Raider:

url.jpg

Action Man Destruction X:

d1ce9702bb02.jpg

Video of the Destruction X Dino in action: https://youtu.be/0rDq5UgpFuc?t=36s

Mitch

Banned
So I have a number of games I'd like to get rid of. Was thinking about going to the B/S/T thread with them, but really have no idea how to price them. They're all in good/great condition. A couple games have cracked jewel cases, which would be replaced before selling.

Area 51
Crash Bandicoot (Greatest Hits)
Crash 2 (Greatest Hits)
Crash 3
Crash Team Racing
FF7
Gran Turismo
Medal of Honor
Metal Gear Solid
Mortal Kombat 4
Mortal Kombat Trilogy (Greatest Hits)
Oddworld: Abe's Exodus
Resident Evil Director's Cut (Greatest Hits)
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3
Spyro The Dragon
Tekken 2
Tomb Raider 2 (Greatest Hits)
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater

Any help would be appreciated.

cj_iwakura

So I have a number of games I'd like to get rid of. Was thinking about going to the B/S/T thread with them, but really have no idea how to price them. They're all in good/great condition. A couple games have cracked jewel cases, which would be replaced before selling.

Area 51
Crash Bandicoot (Greatest Hits)
Crash 2 (Greatest Hits)
Crash 3
Crash Team Racing
FF7
Gran Turismo
Medal of Honor
Metal Gear Solid
Mortal Kombat 4
Mortal Kombat Trilogy (Greatest Hits)
Oddworld: Abe's Exodus
Resident Evil Director's Cut (Greatest Hits)
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3
Spyro The Dragon
Tekken 2
Tomb Raider 2 (Greatest Hits)
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater

Any help would be appreciated.

I don't think any of them would call for much, but I'm sure an enthusiast would pay $20 for some of the more classic ones. Especially if your FF7 and MGS are non-GH, I'd ask $30+.

I'm debating buying The Silver Case off of ebay. No one on GAF seems to have it. :(

843637-me0001045705_2.jpg

I didn't know there was a Time Gal port to PS1 and with english menus/in-game. And Road Avenger, Ninja Hayate, Cobra Command too! shit's expensive now, but cool that it exists.

they're in double packs-- Time Gal and Ninja Hayate are together. and Thunder Storm + Road Blaster in the other. The latter only being like $40 shipped. looks like BINs of Time Gal are $150-ish, but auctions only go to ~$80, so I might camp on that.

fuckin time gal....pretty fun for a FMV game.

Seik

Banned
Just started a game of Vagrant Story since I got my copy from a fellow GAFer today.

I only played until the first save, since it's already midnight around here, but the game seems solid so far. Didn't get much into the combat system yet, but it seems pretty unique with that whole 'attack X body part' thing.

The graphics are insanely good for a PS1 game, really, this is something else.

I'm currently playing Xenoblade 3DS, but this could be a strong contender for a next RPG to do along with Xenogears.

Latest pickups have all been PAL exclusives. Many of these are quality games, with Space Debris, Invasion and Viper as current favorites. Omega Assault might have the best worst PS1 cover ever, reminds me of the Mega Man NA glory days.

palps1_zpsd4vhgum4.jpg

Biggest surprise is the Dinosaur in Action Man Destruction X. It looks great for a PS1 game, I'd say it could even pass for a PS2 era boss. Not saying the game is all that great, but the graphics are impressive for PS1.

Comparing it to the Dinosaur in Tomb Raider isn't very fair, as TR was an earlier PS1 game as opposed to a later release such as AMDX. But it's an interesting look at how far games progressed near the late side of the PS1's lifecycle.

Tomb Raider:

url.jpg

Action Man Destruction X:

d1ce9702bb02.jpg

Video of the Destruction X Dino in action: https://youtu.be/0rDq5UgpFuc?t=36s

Sorry, but that Destruction X game looks terrible; slow, ugly and a simple arena with a grainy backdrop and hardly any geometry. TR1 beats it any day.

Leynos

Just started a game of Vagrant Story since I got my copy from a fellow GAFer today.

I only played until the first save, since it's already midnight around here, but the game seems solid so far. Didn't get much into the combat system yet, but it seems pretty unique with that whole 'attack X body part' thing.

I'm currently playing Xenoblade 3DS, but this could be a strong contender for a next RPG to do along with Xenogears.

Regarding Vagrant Story: be sure that you leave the game running at the title screen for a while. There are two (three?) hidden cut-scenes that you can only view there. Also, be sure to read the game manual, and in-game instruction as some of the mechanics are not terribly obvious. Or just ask here.

Also, be sure to read the game manual, and in-game instruction as some of the mechanics are not terribly obvious. Or just ask here.

Or you can just derp your way though the game with no idea why you are only doing 1 damage and missing a ton until you get a greatsword that already has some good stats on it from the forest area like I did the first time I played the game. :3

leroidys

Stick with it, and ask for help if you don't understand something. Vagrant Story is like nothing else, and you're (I did anyway) going to be pissed off and confused a lot of the time, but it's so, so worth it.

Khaz

I have a few questions about GunCons. How do they work? Why do they need AV input, do they only check for the Sync pulse or is there a secret signal in there too? If I mod my PSone for Csync instead of Composite, will it still work? And if I use a Sync Stripper?

And why couldn't they make a simple lightgun like the Saturn one instead? Do you even have multiplayer shooting games on the PS1?

I have a few questions about GunCons. How do they work? Why do they need AV input, do they only check for the Sync pulse or is there a secret signal in there too? If I mod my PSone for Csync instead of Composite, will it still work? And if I use a Sync Stripper?

And why couldn't they make a simple lightgun like the Saturn one instead? Do you even have multiplayer shooting games on the PS1?

Multiplayer isn't a problem, as that yellow cable is pass-though. Just plug player 2 into the back of Player 1.

guncon-b.gif

If you're set up with RGB, track down the SCPH-1160 accessory. I still have mine from way back in the day when I used to have to play Time Crisis over RF, but had a later model Playstation without the RCA jacks on the back. This should work on your setup.

And if it's a big enough concern you don't want to consider the Guncon, there are plenty other PlayStation lightguns that don't use the yellow av input like the Konami Hyper Blaster

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Curious on y'all's input on something. I bought a Japanese copy of Strider Hiryu 1+2 on eBay. It was listed as "complete" in the listing. The game was in a standard 2CD jewel case, in the photo, and I didn't really think anything of it.

Cut to it arriving in the mail, and I realized that something was off. The back tray liner didn't have any text on the edges and it was literally cut with scissors. I went and searched it out and sure enough, it was in one of those double cases. I should've known this (because I love them!) but didn't think of it at the time.

I reached out to the seller on Saturday night, when the game came, saying that it wasn't what I was expecting and asking if there was anything we could do about it, but they haven't got back to me yet. If they don't reply to me by tonight I'm thinking of filing a case saying that what I got wasn't what I expected... Is that too much? I don't know. I'm annoyed, and I'd really rather spend the extra $25 to get one in the right case.

Mzo

Curious on y'all's input on something. I bought a Japanese copy of Strider Hiryu 1+2 on eBay. It was listed as "complete" in the listing. The game was in a standard 2CD jewel case, in the photo, and I didn't really think anything of it.

Cut to it arriving in the mail, and I realized that something was off. The back tray liner didn't have any text on the edges and it was literally cut with scissors. I went and searched it out and sure enough, it was in one of those double cases. I should've known this (because I love them!) but didn't think of it at the time.

I reached out to the seller on Saturday night, when the game came, saying that it wasn't what I was expecting and asking if there was anything we could do about it, but they haven't got back to me yet. If they don't reply to me by tonight I'm thinking of filing a case saying that what I got wasn't what I expected... Is that too much? I don't know. I'm annoyed, and I'd really rather spend the extra $25 to get one in the right case.

It depends on the listing. Did he mention it wasn't in the original case? Saying complete kind of means complete.

If the description was misleading I'd definitely open a case with eBay. Without a second of hesitation.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
It depends on the listing. Did he mention it wasn't in the original case? Saying complete kind of means complete.

If the description was misleading I'd definitely open a case with eBay. Without a second of hesitation.
The entire description: "Complete. Discs have some scuffs but they are guaranteed to play."

There were pictures showing it not in the original case, which is why I'm feeling a bit hesitant. But... complete is complete.

Teknoman

Multiplayer isn't a problem, as that yellow cable is pass-though. Just plug player 2 into the back of Player 1.

guncon-b.gif

If you're set up with RGB, track down the SCPH-1160 accessory. I still have mine from way back in the day when I used to have to play Time Crisis over RF, but had a later model Playstation without the RCA jacks on the back. This should work on your setup.

And if it's a big enough concern you don't want to consider the Guncon, there are plenty other PlayStation lightguns that don't use the yellow av input like the Konami Hyper Blaster

What if...you use S-video, or with the PS2 component?

Khaz

What if...you use S-video, or with the PS2 component?

On S-video, you use Luma, on Component you use the green wire.
But there is an adapter available, as shown in the picture, so you don't have to worry about messing with your cables.

My concern was more about what sort of information the lightgun was taking from Composite, if it only needs the sync pulse for calibration or if there is more, like stuff encoded in the brightness signal (like needing to detect a brighness pulse on both the screen and the cable.)

Top Bottom