• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Khaz

How do you guys manage your memory cards? I filled my first one and the second one will soon be, too. Do you store stuff by genre, most played, completed? How do you physically store your Memory cards when they're not inserted in the console?

Have you ever played Fear Effect? I love that game: very cool art style and decent action. I remember really getting into the plot too. I rented it when it first came out, then bought it years later and replayed it.

I have to play the sequel again, I haven't played it since it released (I remember there were some pretty provocative ads when released, I'm surprised my parents bought it for teenage me)

Fear Effect, sooo good.gif. The plot was pretty damn good as well, I remember getting pissed off when
they made you think Glas was dead when he got his arm cut off, then later he pulls himself off of a meat hook with ONE ARM. Then you get you play as him with one arm for the remainder of his segments. Zeke totally had it coming though, dude was a sociopath.

How do you guys manage your memory cards? I filled my first one and the second one will soon be, too. Do you store stuff by genre, most played, completed? How do you physically store your Memory cards when they're not inserted in the console?
I used to store by genre a bit as I loved racing games and had a card specifically for that, then I just went over to storing what I played most on the memory card in slot 1. Think I have two grey and one island blue, I store them in two official dust covers I have for them in green and red see-through plastic!

If you run out of space simply copy the saves to a PS2 card for storage, you can't load the saves from a ps2 card into ps1 games, but you can keep them there for storage!

sarcoa

I got you

SALDmKP.jpg

Just realized my 2 copies of CTR have different disc art (kinda). One of them is in full color and the other is in black and white. Is this related to the greatest hits reprint? It's very possible than my in-color one was original black label but I've since lost the case (had this one for quite a while now).

**Okay, looked around a bit. I'm almost positive it's a difference between the original and the GH versions. Guess I need to find a black label box for my copy.

If anyone has a ctr black label box without a game I'll buy it :p

oldmario

Just realized my 2 copies of CTR have different disc art (kinda). One of them is in full color and the other is in black and white. Is this related to the greatest hits reprint? It's very possible than my in-color one was original black label but I've since lost the case (had this one for quite a while now).

**Okay, looked around a bit. I'm almost positive it's a difference between the original and the GH versions. Guess I need to find a black label box for my copy.

If anyone has a ctr black label box without a game I'll buy it :p

looking at psxdatacenter it looks like b/w label is a GH version, also it's the first time i've ever seen a NTSC disc label and never knew they printed the ratings on discs and some text about the hotline to call for hints and tips

looking at psxdatacenter it looks like b/w label is a GH version, also it's the first time i've ever seen a NTSC disc label and never knew they printed the ratings on discs and some text about the hotline to call for hints and tips

Yeah I noticed that as well. The impulsive side of me really wanted to call the number.

Tayaya

Of course my next question is:

Is Project Horned Owl any good? And is Resident Evil survivor that bad?

Project Horned Owl is one of my old favorite light gun games. It isn't very long or unusually challenging, but it does a great job of capturing that mid 90's mecha anime vibe. Also the bad guys are a force called "Metalica" so as a teenager I always laughed when they would say things like "Metalica is trying to blow up the city" and such, being a fan of Metallica back in their pre-Load days.

Elemental Gearbolt is still the best PS One light gun game though.

IrishNinja

I had all my saves backed up using the Dex Drive to floppy disks through a serial port.

So yeah.

i gotta dig through my old-ass spindles but i know my college roommate burned all our dex drives (and the PS Underground ones too, haha) to a disc somewhere, gonna be neat heaving access to all that again

Mzo

i figure it's just a serial to USB adapter i'd need, and a program like Dexter since i don't have a floppy drive anymore either...should be good i'm hoping

Yeah, hopefully since it's just data it's easier than trying to get a serial port flightstick to work on a modern PC, which is a fucking nightmare.

Let me know if you ever work it out. I'm gonna look for those floppies.

Teknoman

Project Horned Owl is one of my old favorite light gun games. It isn't very long or unusually challenging, but it does a great job of capturing that mid 90's mecha anime vibe. Also the bad guys are a force called "Metalica" so as a teenager I always laughed when they would say things like "Metalica is trying to blow up the city" and such, being a fan of Metallica back in their pre-Load days.

Elemental Gearbolt is still the best PS One light gun game though.

Cool, i'll keep an eye out for both of em.

Speaking of, is there any way to...say use the Genesis justifier with the PS1?

I got a complete nice looking one for $30 free shipping last night. That was the price I was watching for.

I have the issue of once I see a game for for an especially low price, that price becomes my goal lol. Totally screwed me on Suikoden 2 not once but twice, as well as screwing me on Alundra, Persona 2, Sexy Parodius, Lunar, and DQVII..

I'm realizing now just how much I missed during the PS1 era. Never had one as a kid...

I mean Fear Effect is probably one of my favorite PS1 games. Minus the controls (which I think are better than RE within reason) the presentation was definitely ahead of its time. It feels a lot like the Blade Runner PC adventure game.

Very very impressed with it and I can't put it down. What a fucking gem folks...Is the 2nd game worth spending the money on?

Having said that, can any of you offer some more recommendations for games similar to Fear Effect? Underrated/unsung gems with great presentation?

Teknoman

On S-video, you use Luma, on Component you use the green wire.
But there is an adapter available, as shown in the picture, so you don't have to worry about messing with your cables.

My concern was more about what sort of information the lightgun was taking from Composite, if it only needs the sync pulse for calibration or if there is more, like stuff encoded in the brightness signal (like needing to detect a brighness pulse on both the screen and the cable.)

The yellow cable plugs into the SCPH-1160 dongle. Plug your S-Video, RF, RGB, or Component on PS2 cable into the back of it just like the composite cable pictured.

So after testing the guncon 2 on ps2 with the dongle, worked perfect. Guncon 1 though, I seem to actually have to plug the guncon yellow av into the TV, not just the dongle... On both ps1 and ps2. Strange.

Unless I just have a messed up gc1.

Edit: Tried to just go full composite direct connect, and the screen is fuzzy / wavy. Maybe something is wrong with the gc1 av cable...so now I know its not my TV, the ps1, or the multi out. Played Ninja Assault just fine (pretty cool game).

Khaz

That's a pretty strange and inconsistent behaviour. It would seem you could have a connection fault on either the adapter or your GunCon. If I had to guess, the previous owner pulled the yellow cable a little too hard and broken the solder joint within the controller plug, and it only makes connection when the cable is under tension when plugged to the back of your TV). Or the yellow RCA out on the adapter is faulty but somehow worked with the GunCon 2.

I would encourage you to make more tests, possibly using a spare RCA cable that is known to work to interface between the adapter and the GunCons, so that you can plug the controllers without touching and moving the adapter.

Zing

Banned
I have mine stored by genre. I have a "platformer" card, an "RPG" card, etc. This makes it easy to remember which card to use.

I just keep my cards next to the system. The system is in the TVs glass cabinet.

totally random and it's a mess

That's pretty cool, as I'll be able to play it! However, I wonder how the physical price will change for those who have it in their collection.

That's pretty cool, as I'll be able to play it! However, I wonder how the physical price will change for those who have it in their collection.
Digital re-releases seem to have minimal impact on the value of "collectible" games even if the new digital version is unquestionably better, like Guardian Heroes.

Mercutio

As sixteen says, It really seems to do very little. Earthbound and Dracula X still go for a ton, despite having digital versions that go for cheap. I haven't checked on Suikoden 2, but I doubt that took a huge hit either.

But holy Nicholas Cage am I glad to have this one for so cheap.

As sixteen says, It really seems to do very little. Earthbound and Dracula X still go for a ton, despite having digital versions that go for cheap. I haven't checked on Suikoden 2, but I doubt that took a huge hit either.

But holy Nicholas Cage am I glad to have this one for so cheap.
Suikoden II actually dipped right after the release followed by a spike which hasn't come down again. Went from ~120 before PSN, to ~90, and then to ~130+. Pain in the ass. I think more than anything it's because resellers buy up all the copies going for less than 120 and then resell them for BIN 150 or some shit. But also I think Suikoden II had a really high profile release on PSN as far as such things go and it had a sort of "youtuber effect".

Khaz

Can't the PS3 play original PS1 discs? I think it may be a factor. You have that surge in popularity brought by the PSN, and several people try to get the physical release instead.

Suikoden II actually dipped right after the release followed by a spike which hasn't come down again. Went from ~120 before PSN, to ~90, and then to ~130+. Pain in the ass. I think more than anything it's because resellers buy up all the copies going for less than 120 and then resell them for BIN 150 or some shit. But also I think Suikoden II had a really high profile release on PSN as far as such things go and it had a sort of "youtuber effect".

I think that's highly likely.

Stainless

Yeah I bought it on PSN for $4. I have a like new condition disc version I've had for a while and on a whim I checked ebay...the ones that were in really good condition were on there a few days ago at $150-$175.

yeah i noticed yesterday that complete suikoden 2 prices were higher than before, though the actual sold prices are all over the place. I don't think anything special will happen to Tron Bonne prices. The thread for the digital release was declaring victory over scalpers over some shit, along with people saying retro games shouldn't cost more than their original retail prices lol :\

Mercutio

Can't the PS3 play original PS1 discs? I think it may be a factor. You have that surge in popularity brought by the PSN, and several people try to get the physical release instead.

It can, but the games interestingly don't look nearly as good as they do if you download them. There's some kind of general emulation happening, as opposed to emulation specifically tailored to whatever game.

yeah i noticed yesterday that complete suikoden 2 prices were higher than before, though the actual sold prices are all over the place. I don't think anything special will happen to Tron Bonne prices. The thread for the digital release was declaring victory over scalpers over some shit, along with people saying retro games shouldn't cost more than their original retail prices lol :\

Yeah, I'm happy that more people get to play the game, but what people were saying in that thread was just crazy. I get it -- there are a lot of scalpers in the used video game market (S2 is a good example), but Tron Bonne is a game that's legitimately hard to find, probably didn't sell well, and associated with a well-regarded spin-off of a popular and dead IP. I feel like that's a much better reasoning than "yeah FUCK YOU SCALPERS" lol.

I got mine in a misspelled eBay lot with all the other PS1 Mega Man games for $26 back in 2008...so it's no skin off my back. ;)

I've just long accepted that I have no control over these things. especially after seeing VII's price spike after Advent Children came out.

I've just long accepted that I have no control over these things. especially after seeing VII's price spike after Advent Children came out.
FFVII is a case study in how common games can become expensive. Seems like it's at a pretty normal price right now, but after that ffvii ps4 announcement a bunch of listings were placing it at 30+

It's crazy because no one knows what could eventually happen. It's been great seeing the rise and fall of FFVII, but what if PS collecting eventually hits a surge in a few years and FFVII becomes the Chrono Trigger of the PS1, pricewise? CT definitely isn't a rare game, just really popular -- granted, I'm sure FFVII had a much higher print run.

It's crazy because no one knows what could eventually happen. It's been great seeing the rise and fall of FFVII, but what if PS collecting eventually hits a surge in a few years and FFVII becomes the Chrono Trigger of the PS1, pricewise? CT definitely isn't a rare game, just really popular -- granted, I'm sure FFVII had a much higher print run.
That's part of the reason why I'm looking to get a nonGH version asap. I fully expect the game to go back up to 40 bucks soon enough.

**Speaking of Suikoden II
20sqTnI.jpg

Irritated...

IrishNinja

FFVII is a case study in how common games can become expensive. Seems like it's at a pretty normal price right now, but after that ffvii ps4 announcement a bunch of listings were placing it at 30+

god, i remember this being my first window at retro madness - mid to late aughts trying to replace my lost PSX games, and FF VII black/non GH climbing to somewhere between $75-100, despite, you know, being one of the most printed games of its time.

said fuck that and waited till a buddy was getting married a year and a half ago, got the original run with the misprinting on the back like my launch copy for a tenner. this is how i roll from now on.

god, i remember this being my first window at retro madness - mid to late aughts trying to replace my lost PSX games, and FF VII black/non GH climbing to somewhere between $75-100, despite, you know, being one of the most printed games of its time.

said fuck that and waited till a buddy was getting married a year and a half ago, got the original run with the misprinting on the back like my launch copy for a tenner. this is how i roll from now on.

yuuuup. My only reservation in holding out for games is a concern that the PSX library is going to start jumping in value similar to the way SNES games have. Seems like we may be safe for a while longer, though. Hopefully youtubers and streamers just never play PSX games. (lol)

Top Bottom