• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Timu

I'm not even sure what I'm reading anymore
Me realizing that I fucked up and is trying to make up for it.

It gets even weirder in the YT comments, there's even conversations about getting better camera angles and shit.
dahell2.png

and that's just from one comment.
patrice.png
Oh god, I can't stand that guy, that's one of those crazy youtubers, I keep telling him that I didn't want to do it but he continue to persist so I had to tell him off. You see how crazy these youtubers are guys, I'm telling you guys they are insane and drove me to stop doing this. Everything I'm saying is the truth.

IrishNinja

mannn let's not dwell on it & judge too much, retro-GAF...like ya'll aint beat to some classic andou hiroyuki before nahmean

haha...yikes

I do some PS1 variety streams with obscure games every once in a while, will post if I do.

Watch Time Gal get murdered over and over and make sex noises every time a QTE is missed

...ok that shit got me, almost spit up my drink

Timu

Off topic: Fuck this, I'm deleting all of those vids, such a waste of time!!! Why should I torture myself anymore with that bullshit???=O

Timu

I hate you guys for changing Timu.
Nah, it's ok, I'm keeping my game playthroughs in tact... it's the other vid series that's going, and besides, I never wanted to do them, it was at 1st a test then people made me get carried away with it before I realize that what I was doing was wrong and honestly I'm tired of these, so in a way, GAF helped me because now I can focus on beating the harder games and doing playthroughs on them in the future.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

I fucking hate the Internet sometimes.

Got dammit, I am not listening to youtubers anymore, hell they even gave me the mods to force me to do some, sigh, I wish I didn't do these requests! They brainwashed me to say and do these things and now I'm fixing them. This whole thing was a mistake that I didn't even want to do.

I'm glad that I'm not going to do these anymore(by force).

What the actual fuck

It gets even weirder in the YT comments, there's even conversations about getting better camera angles and shit
[snip quotes]
*shudders* Fucking creeps.

There isn't even a PS3 or 360 collectors thread yet, that I know of.

Do you know what gets me about this picture?

The abundance of multi-gen and last-gen games in the PS4 library. It's overwhelmingly obvious to me here.

I just love the fact that there's so many titles that are digital only on other platforms that get released at retail for PS4. It's almost like an attempt to pad the shelves. Two versions of Pinball Arcade, Stick It To The Man, Terraria, Pure Pool, Pure Chess...some great games there, but why on earth would you release them at retail?

Oh right...so that people can buy them and keep them sealed on their shelf.

Petrae

I picked up a copy of Bubsy 3D for $4 the other day for my collection just to see how bad this game really is.

I grabbed it late last year but it didn't play right on my PS2. Works like a charm on the PSone I just got, though. (And I use the term "charm" loosely.)

The resolution on my GxTV is nice. But other than that? Yeesh.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Found my old launch PS1 in the closet and set it all up to see if it worked and it did! I had to turn my PS1 upside down for some reason but is there a way to get it working right side up?

Found my old launch PS1 in the closet and set it all up to see if it worked and it did! I had to turn my PS1 upside down for some reason but is there a way to get it working right side up?

...you had to turn it upside down? that can't be good for the disc. You may just need to clean it.

**also still interested in opinions on which crash/spyro games are best now that the thread is back on track.

hey, if you can 1CC Double Dragon 3, I think you have the right to do whatever you want.

And speaking of Double Dragon, the japanese fighting game version on PSN is some good dumb fun. I like how you can shrink the characters in the pause screen for some unknown reason.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
...you had to turn it upside down? that can't be good for the disc. You may just need to clean it.

That was the only way it'd read the disk for some reason, but it was just in for a few minutes so I think no harm done. I'll go buy some cleaning supplies when I'm at the grocery store later and see how that goes.

That was the only way it'd read the disk for some reason, but it was just in for a few minutes so I think no harm done. I'll go buy some cleaning supplies when I'm at the grocery store later and see how that goes.

the upside down trick is a classic, i'm not sure how to fix it though.

Carnby

**also still interested in opinions on which crash/spyro games are best now that the thread is back on track.

First run PlayStations had this defect. After long term use they would only work upsidedown. I guess the laser would become too loose.

I had to do that with my og one. Well, it worked when on its side, but did upside down to make sure it did not fall over. Eventually I bought the PSOne variation when it was $50 and that's the one I use when needed.

televator

It might just need a cleaning. PS1 is early optical tech which is super easy to clean. All the mechanisms are kinda big and not so fragile like modern optical drives are. Just open it up, take the shroud off the drive, take some compressed air to the drive, brush the dirt off the rails, and wipe the lens with lint free cloth and alcohol. You might try turning the drive over an getting the bottom side of the lens and all the other stuff too. I've fixed a few problematic PS1 drives just by cleaning them.

Timu

hey, if you can 1CC Double Dragon 3, I think you have the right to do whatever you want.
You know, that game took me a while to do even though I did get better with it overall. This is due to that damn final boss that gets me in just all of my attempts, I can do most of the game fine though I have some trouble in the last stage but nothing I can't handle, but the final boss? Screw her, I bet it took me over 20 tries to beat her without losing a single character. The problem is that she's random as hell and does whatever she wants. She counters everything I do so it's a matter of luck in various cases. One of the toughest bosses I fought on the NES. But I'm glad it's done regardless.

Yeah but I'm focusing on game playthroughs and trying to beat the hardest games so there's that.=p

Are you really claiming no responsibility, like those suggestions were somehow forced on you? Seriously?

are you seriously going to continue to derail this thread? Can you not read the damn title?
This, maybe?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CHIOBIU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I don't know for sure. Like everyone else, I just bought a new one after the first year.

PSOnes are pretty damn cheap now anyway. That might still be the way to go.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well if cleaning it up doesn't work I'll try and nab a PSOne sometime maybe! Is there any downsides to getting that model opposed to the PSX?

Well if cleaning it up doesn't work I'll try and nab a PSOne sometime maybe! Is there any downsides to getting that model opposed to the PSX?

I think it's missing a back port that can be used for action replays and the like (and thus region free softmods)

**Looks like PSOne consoles go for as low at ~18$. Pretty good.

Timu

Are you really claiming no responsibility, like those suggestions were somehow forced on you? Seriously?
Um, they were forced on me, I seriously did not want to do anything that youtuber suggests. I hated his suggestions with a passion and I even got angry at him. He then gets on my nerves as he complains about me not doing his suggestions and I had to tell him off to get him to stop. After that he quits asking me to do his suggestion as he doesn't talk to me anymore.

That my friend is when I was getting annoyed with this so it was only a matter of time before I stopped doing these vids completely and deleting all of them as well.

Teknoman

Crisis averted. Another guncon from ebay arrived and works as expected. Of course...I guess I can try to mess with the other and see how to fix it?

televator

Timu, you got Morrigan on you now.
images.jpg

I think you've been pretty cool for the most part on these threads and I think Morrigan is pretty cool too. If I were you, I'd just own up to it, apologize sincerely, and move on. We all believe you wont bring that stuff here again.

I think you've been pretty cool for the most part on these threads and I think Morrigan is pretty cool too. If I were you, I'd just own up to it, apologize sincerely, and move on. We all believe you wont bring that stuff here again.

or we just stop talking about it...

cause it doesn't matter...

and doesn't effect anyone's life...

and isn't relevant to the topic at hand...

Timu

images.jpg

Yeah you're right about that, and it certainly won't happen again, I would like to move on from this as well.

televator

Yeah, IDK... The thing about GAF is that all are welcome and people should feel like they aren't being marginalized. If people are uncomfortable with something I'm not one to tell them "It doesn't matter. It doesn't affect my life. Stop talking about it." Yeah I'm definitely not on that train. Sorry.

televator

Yeah, IDK... The thing about GAF is that all are welcome and people should feel like they aren't being marginalized. If people are uncomfortable with something I'm not one to tell them "It doesn't matter. It doesn't affect my life. Stop talking about it." Yeah I'm definitely not on that train. Sorry.

However, if things should go to PMs, it might be better? Idunno.

However, if things should go to PMs, it might be better? Idunno.
It should absolutely 100% go to PMs. There's no reason to have a debate over the morality of some strange videos in this thread because -- while it was brought up originally in this thread -- that's not the point of this thread. If we pursued every tangent in every thread to its conclusion the whole board would be a clusterfuck.

**additionally, they're totally welcome to feel uncomfortable about something. Then they can subsequently discuss it in the appropriate place. Which is not a thread dedicated to a rather narrow topic.

It should absolutely 100% go to PMs. There's no reason to have a debate over the morality of some strange videos in this thread because -- while it was brought up originally in this thread -- that's not the point of this thread. If we pursued every tangent in every thread to its conclusion the whole board would be a clusterfuck.

**additionally, they're totally welcome to feel uncomfortable about something. Then they can subsequently discuss it in the appropriate place. Which is not a thread dedicated to a rather narrow topic.

You should PM a mod and thoroughly explain the situation to them and see what happens.

Khaz

Crisis averted. Another guncon from ebay arrived and works as expected. Of course...I guess I can try to mess with the other and see how to fix it?

yep, your first one was busted somehow. I'm sure it's repairable, but is it worth it?

Came across a Disc Replay last night that had a lot of PS1 games. I was super happy to find sealed copies of Muppet Monster Adventure (had been looking for a cheap copy of that for a while) and Buster Bros. Collection. There were a lot of other cheapo sealed titles -- including a few that I wish I had picked up -- but I was happy to find a replacement for the Gallop Racer I gave away a few months ago, a very cheap copy of Ape Escape (can't believe I didn't have that one yet), the Power Serve Tennis longbox, and a copy of the Pink Panther game. I've had my eyes on that game for a while but refused to pay the insane $40+ that people charge online.

It was refreshing going to a retro store and finding a bunch of games that I had been actively looking for -- all at the same time. I hate that the Disc Replay in Lexington closed because they've got GREAT prices on obscure PS1 stuff.

Top Bottom