• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

cerulily

I just picked up this gem this weekend for $50 CAD (a steal)

ChQryUr.jpg

Must say, i was pretty happy with it.

crimilde

Banned
Just wanted to pop in and say that after reading all your wonderful posts and feeling the enthusiasm, I got carried away and bought myself a PSOne. :D

I never got the chance to play it in its own time, I grew up on PC gaming, so I wanted to experience it now that I had the means to. :) I did get some PSOne games for the Vita, but it's just not the same thing as playing on the real console...

I still haven't bought any games, but I did compile a list from this thread so I'm fairly excited about that.

Khaz

35+6€ later, I'm now waiting for PAL copy of Rapid reload (Gunner's heaven in Japan). Even at 50Hz, I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

[edit] Wait, there's no coop? Oh well, it's not like I have anyone to play it with anyway ^^

35+6€ later, I'm now waiting for PAL copy of Rapid reload (Gunner's heaven in Japan). Even at 50Hz, I'm sure I'll enjoy it.
Gunner's Heaven was shockingly good when I played it. I wish it was co-op, but otherwise it's a better game that Gunstar Heroes.

I wish there were more games that used Brave Fencer Musashi's copy "enemy attacks" mechanic. It works really well for a ARPG, outside of Kirby games you really don't see it that often.

I can't believe 50 bones is considered a steal for it nowadays :/

This thread inspired me to go pick up Vandal Hearts & Battle Arena Toshinden 3.

VH will always have a place in my heart as the first game that I ever saw a curse word in as a kid.

Mzo

Finally got my hands on US Clock Tower II aka Ghost Head when a dude accepted my best offer for the game and guide. I was balking at the general price on eBay, but it ended up being a decent deal.

I still want the sufami original, but I'm going to play through the PS1/2 trilogy soon.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Finally got my hands on US Clock Tower II aka Ghost Head when a dude accepted my best offer for the game and guide. I was balking at the general price on eBay, but it ended up being a decent deal.

I still want the sufami original, but I'm going to play through the PS1/2 trilogy soon.

I've been watching let's plays of the Clock Tower series recently. They are very interesting, but probably nothing I'd play myself. Still looking forward too seeing how the spiritual successor turns out though.

graffix13

I was an N64 kid in the 90's. By the end of the decade I started to realize all the awesome games I missed by not having a PS1. Fortunately the PS2 solved that problem but I never got around to start seriously collecting for the PS1. I already have FF 7-9, Colony Wars and MGS. I love the way early 3d games look. I'm also fascinated by games that pushed the hardware limits of the PS1. I decided to start collecting with a few interesting looking
games

Today I get my first PS1 mail box. It contains:

1- Castlevania SoTN
2- Crash 3
3- Omega Boost
4- Medal of Honor
5- Disruptor
6- Ace Combat 3
7- G-Police 2
8- Soul Reaver
9- Spyro : Year of the Dragon

I paid 186 US$, they are all complete. I'm not sure if its a good deal but you gotta start somewhere.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be apreciated GAF!!

All great games. I would recommend Tenchu as well. Also, are these all black labels?

. I have FF8 and FF9 sealed. Dying to play them but I'm not sure if I should open them.

Hmm I wouldn't open those, but that's just me. There are plenty of other ways to play those games.

Malick[AI];164441856 said:
This thread inspired me to go pick up Vandal Hearts & Battle Arena Toshinden 3.

VH will always have a place in my heart as the first game that I ever saw a curse word in as a kid.

No memories of the fountains of blood? :p

For me going from FFT to VH and seeing a blood fountain spew from defeated enemies was quite a surprise at first.

No memories of the fountains of blood? :p

For me going from FFT to VH and seeing a blood fountain spew from defeated enemies was quite a surprise at first.

I only realized when I re-bought it that it was rated M.

Those were long before the days of reading ESRB ratings to parents I guess.

cerulily

I wish there were more games that used Brave Fencer Musashi's copy "enemy attacks" mechanic. It works really well for a ARPG, outside of Kirby games you really don't see it that often.

I can't believe 50 bones is considered a steal for it nowadays :/

Neither could my ex who found it for me. But he texted me saying "this for 50$?" i checked Ebay, and complete it is 90. So i said ABSOLUTELY GET IT NOW!

If anyone is interested, i am starting a stream of BFM tonight @ 7est. twitch.tv/cerulean_skylark

Kawika

Neither could my ex who found it for me. But he texted me saying "this for 50$?" i checked Ebay, and complete it is 90. So i said ABSOLUTELY GET IT NOW!

I've been sitting on multiple mint condition copies of that game and had no idea of their worth.

IrishNinja

you planning on doing a stream or anything? never played any of those but was always curious

BGMNTS

I recently rebought a Playstation yet was mulling over what games to get. By the time I decided I lost my money and income stream :D

Now I have an empty PS1 sitting there. It makes me sad.

What was the sequel to Micro Machines? Micro Maniacs? I loved that one.

while I was away I managed to pick up a few essentials I was missing. Spyro 1, MGS, FF Anthology, Alundra. All black label. Alundra unfortunately missing a manual cause I can't read.

Gusy

All great games. I would recommend Tenchu as well. Also, are these all black labels?

Hmm I wouldn't open those, but that's just me. There are plenty of other ways to play those games.

Black labels confirmed except SoTN. Heard great things about Tenchu. What about Syphon Filter? Of the 3 available which one should I try? Also debating myself if I should try any of the Wing Commander ports they did.

Next mail box should be looking like this:

1- RE 2
2- Dino Crisis
3- Medievil 1 & 2
4- Syphon Filter ?
5- Tenchu
6- Blood Omen
7- Forsaken
8- Bubsy 3D
JK!

Regarding FF8, FF9... you definitely got a point.

Anyone have any good advice for what might work best to glue the peeling art back on to PS longboxes?

Regular glue sticks aren't cutting it.

I thought about doing this (ive been collecting longboxes for years) but honestly I think it's better just to leave them as they are and prevent further damage. The problem is that you're gluing cardboard onto plastic and most adhesives will just absorb into the cardboard and discolor it at this point, especially if it's torn at all from the art peeling.

I've just come to accept it as part of owning longboxes. Anything you could use would probably just peel again eventually.

entremet

I've been playing Rockman complete works versions on my Vita.

Did they fix the flicker and slowdown? I'm not noticing any.

I started playing the PS1 Tales of Phantasia remake over the weekend. I'm really digging the 2D-with-some-3D-effects style of this game.

Are there other notable PS1 RPGs like this? Tales of Destiny, obviously, is like this but it seems like most other RPGs on the system went with either mostly 3D with maybe 2D sprites or 3D characters on pre-rendered backgrounds.

entremet

Yep. And certain music channels no longer cut out while you're charging your buster cannon. It's great.

That's pretty awesome!

Seems like these are the definitive versions then.

Wish the games were a bit more affordable. I love the artwork on the cases. But it's hard to beat 6 bucks on PSN.

I started playing the PS1 Tales of Phantasia remake over the weekend. I'm really digging the 2D-with-some-3D-effects style of this game.

Are there other notable PS1 RPGs like this? Tales of Destiny, obviously, is like this but it seems like most other RPGs on the system went with either mostly 3D with maybe 2D sprites or 3D characters on pre-rendered backgrounds.

Suikoden 1 and 2 come to mind. The map, cities, dungeons, characters, and NPCs are all 2d, but in battle there is (fixed camera) 3D terrain and some 3D spell effects.

Try Breath of Fire. Haven't played III but IV has 3D backgrounds that frequently look like they could be 2D as well as having mindblowing sprite work.

Ex.
1-Breath_of_Fire_IV_01320.jpg

IrishNinja

so a buddy hooked it up with a cheap CIB Arc the Lad Collection...i remember pining over this one decades ago in GameFan shots, and honestly, i know it's short but its a beautiful game for its time, and i really love the early 32-bit era JRPGs that kinda continued gorgeous 2D spritework from the gen prior but made everything look (and sound!) way better. it's pretty by-the-numbers so far but im digging it.

lol, I think the optional dungeon in Arc 1 is longer than the entire rest of the game (and there are no saves points until the final floor). We need more 10 hour RPGs tho.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
so a buddy hooked it up with a cheap CIB Arc the Lad Collection...i remember pining over this one decades ago in GameFan shots, and honestly, i know it's short but its a beautiful game for its time, and i really love the early 32-bit era JRPGs that kinda continued gorgeous 2D spritework from the gen prior but made everything look (and sound!) way better. it's pretty by-the-numbers so far but im digging it.

I liked Arc the Lad 1. What I played of Arc 2, though, was sooooo much better. I really want to go back to those games.

and I agree that 32-bit 2D games were awesome. I really wish indie devs would get inspired by that style more often.

I liked Arc the Lad 1. What I played of Arc 2, though, was sooooo much better. I really want to go back to those games.

and I agree that 32-bit 2D games were awesome. I really wish indie devs would get inspired by that style more often.

Should check it out the first Alundra if you've never played it, imo it's the best 2d zelda game since Link to the Past.

The gameplay is sublime 2d zelda with a god tier OST.

IrishNinja

We need more 10 hour RPGs tho.

amen

ah, looking forward to part 2 then!

Should check it out the first Alundra if you've never played it, imo it's the best 2d zelda game since Link to the Past.

The gameplay is sublime 2d zelda with a god tier OST.

i gave up on this one halfway through years ago, but yeah, i kinda wanna revisit it now (thanks again, Mzos). how does 2 fair?

amen

ah, looking forward to part 2 then!

i gave up on this one halfway through years ago, but yeah, i kinda wanna revisit it now (thanks again, Mzos). how does 2 fair?

I never played 2 because I didn't care for the transition from 2d backgrounds to 3d.

Alundra is pretty hard though, some of the platforming and puzzle sections in the dungeons are no joke.

Jaeger

If I wanted to play US PSX titles on my JPN system, what are my options? And vice versa, as well. I remember back in the day a swap disc + a spring was an efficient method.

If I wanted to play US PSX titles on my JPN system, what are my options? And vice versa, as well. I remember back in the day a swap disc + a spring was an efficient method.

I think there's a method with an action replay? there's some disc+spring thing called breaker pro, I'm not sure if that's even obtainable anymore.

You should go with the nuclear option and get a PS2 Test console though and never have to worry about PS1/2 import stuff again!

Lol I can't even imagine the hours I put into Official PlayStation Magazine demo discs. Still kicking myself on the ass for throwing them out when I moved to go to college :(.

I know if only i could go back in time and kick myself for misplacing/throwing away some off my retro stuff!!

Disc swap kinda sucks. In most cases you'll need to swap the disc twice, really not worth it.

Adding a modchip isn't that hard, just 6 wires. :)

So there are simple PSOne mod chips? I know it was designed to be more difficult to chip but I wasn't sure how well they had done with that.

Somewhat related, I really would like a Net Yaroze or one of the Blue/Green PSX debug units. They're really cool.

So there are simple PSOne mod chips? I know it was designed to be more difficult to chip but I wasn't sure how well they had done with that.

Somewhat related, I really would like a Net Yaroze or one of the Blue/Green PSX debug units. They're really cool.

This is for Multimode 3, which is just a program installed to a super common microcontroller:

anTpdVd.jpg

As far as I know it works fine for that model as well. Might be a bit harder to solder in since there are smaller components.

Net Yaroze seem hard to find. I saw one in Japan for ~$300 but looking on ebay... yikes!

Top Bottom