• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Is this particularly rare?
I had no probs finding it when i went looking
I think the black label version is a bit more difficult to find and thus some people price it higher. The GH version is a huge percentage of the total stock of that game so I imagine it's justifiably a tad more expensive. Not the 40$ some people try to charge, though.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Well I've learned something today and will forever remember this member

Timu

Battle_Arena_Toshinden_PSX_cover.jpg

I don't remember if it was the 1st PS1 game I played, but it was certainly the 1st 3D fighting game I played...and I don't know if this aged well or not.

I don't remember if it was the 1st PS1 game I played, but it was certainly the 1st 3D fighting game I played...and I don't know if this aged well or not.

Bushido Blade will always be good. The sequel... not so much.

One of the main appeals of it back in the day was that it was easy to get into and it didn't need any explanation - you stab and hit your opponent until you get the killing blow. You could get your grandparents to play it.

The problem with that now is that people may not be able to look past the blocky graphics, which takes away its immediate accessibility.

Edit: haha. I'll just leave my review of bushido blade up. Toshinden sucks.

Hard to find longboxes in good condition, I find. I haven't seen many for good prices that I thought looked nice.

Definitely. Most that I find in the wild have cracked jewel cases or peeling covers. Most longbox auctions end for pretty cheap though. I've picked up a ton of mine through cheap lots on eBay.

It was the two Toshindens, RE (beat up, though,) X-com and some others. Not bad, really.

Of all the longboxes XCOM is the one I'm most likely to get since AFAIK there isn't a non-longbox version. Haven't had much luck on ebay for it, though.

Ugh someone is selling long boxes of Tekken, Ridge Racer, and Ace Combat on craigslist here but he won't sell them to me separately only in some crazy ass $200 bundle. Which btw, outside the long box games, the rest are random disney games. Like... the collection looks like it was bought in 1996, then never bought a game again til 2001 when all the shitty cash in games were $4.99 lol

http://savannah.craigslist.org/vgm/5017483696.html

Even worse is they look like they are in great condition, FUUUU

kaiju

Ugh someone is selling long boxes of Tekken, Ridge Racer, and Ace Combat on craigslist here but he won't sell them to me separately only in some crazy ass $200 bundle. Which btw, outside the long box games, the rest are random disney games. Like... the collection looks like it was bought in 1996, then never bought a game again til 2001 when all the shitty cash in games were $4.99 lol

http://savannah.craigslist.org/vgm/5017483696.html

Even worse is they look like they are in great condition, FUUUU

That's a clean looking PS1 console, but no way in hell is that bundle worth $200. I'd have a hard time paying even half of that for it.

Mzo

Anyone have any good advice for what might work best to glue the peeling art back on to PS longboxes?

Regular glue sticks aren't cutting it.

It has not aged well. But I was stunned playing this at launch at a friend's house. I couldn't beleive I was playing this on a home console.

Gusy

I was an N64 kid in the 90's. By the end of the decade I started to realize all the awesome games I missed by not having a PS1. Fortunately the PS2 solved that problem but I never got around to start seriously collecting for the PS1. I already have FF 7-9, Colony Wars and MGS. I love the way early 3d games look. I'm also fascinated by games that pushed the hardware limits of the PS1. I decided to start collecting with a few interesting looking
games

Today I get my first PS1 mail box. It contains:

1- Castlevania SoTN
2- Crash 3
3- Omega Boost
4- Medal of Honor
5- Disruptor
6- Ace Combat 3
7- G-Police 2
8- Soul Reaver
9- Spyro : Year of the Dragon

I paid 186 US$, they are all complete. I'm not sure if its a good deal but you gotta start somewhere.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be apreciated GAF!!

Figured this was an appropriate enough place to post this. Leigh Alexander from Off World/Boing Boing is a huge SOTN fan and recently wrote a reflection on the game in light of Iga's Kickstarter. It's a great read.

http://boingboing.net/2015/05/12/castlevania-symphony-of-the-n.html

There is nothing like finally unlocking the solid door that proves to you that this area leads to that area after all. Or let’s say you’ve passed by a very high ledge countless times, maybe even over years when you were a kid. And then one day you finally kill a boss—you weren’t thinking about the ledge, just about defeating the enemy—and your prize is that you can now jump twice as high.

So you go what if, and you go back to that immortal ledge, thinking just maybe. And you jump, you double-jump, and for the first time in your life you just slip like butter up onto the ledge, and an entirely new place unscrolls before your eyes, a palace of unopened presents and brand new and unmapped rooms.

I (and everyone else) have been beating that game like a red-headed step child for so long, I forgot what it's like to discover stuff new and have some difficulty with it.

I'm really happy they're doing that "nightmare" difficulty for the new game. SOTN could use a hard mode!

kaiju

I was an N64 kid in the 90's. By the end of the decade I started to realize all the awesome games I missed by not having a PS1. Fortunately the PS2 solved that problem but I never got around to start seriously collecting for the PS1. I already have FF 7-9, Colony Wars and MGS. I love the way early 3d games look. I'm also fascinated by games that pushed the hardware limits of the PS1. I decided to start collecting with a few interesting looking
games

1- Castlevania SoTN
2- Crash 3
3- Omega Boost
4- Medal of Honor
5- Disruptor
6- Ace Combat 3
7- G-Police 2
8- Soul Reaver

I paid 186 US$, they are all complete. I'm not sure if its a good deal but you gotta start somewhere.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be apreciated GAF!!

Not a bad start. Based on your recent purchases, you may want to check out Blood Omen, Codename Tenka, Silent Bomber, Ghost in the Shell, Future Cop LAPD, Warhawk and Gex 2.

Got a few games in yesterday. Star Ixiom is a nice surprise. The gameplay is a lot of fun, and the game features a plethora of enemies seen in other Namco shooters.

076_zpshpt6h2pa.jpg

I have never played an Armored Core game. Decided to start with the original.

078_zpsjltwbznq.jpg

I just played a few hours of Treasures of the Deep and the game holds up well. It's remarkably intense deep down in the ocean in that mini-submarine.

081_zpskobeszm8.jpg

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

1- Castlevania SoTN
2- Crash 3
3- Omega Boost
4- Medal of Honor
5- Disruptor
6- Ace Combat 3
7- G-Police 2
8- Soul Reaver

088.gif

I would also second the Blood Omen recommendation (play it before Soul Reaver if you can), and also Crash 1 and 2 are still very good. For colourful platformers, one of my favourites on PS1 was Klonoa, so check out that one.

And of course other PS1 mandatories are Resident Evil 2, Silent Hill, MGS, and if you're into JRPGs there are tons of great ones like Suikoden I and II, Wild ARMs, FFTactics, Breath of Fire III and IV, etc. (sigh, Konami was so good in those days...)

Gusy

Not a bad start. Based on your recent purchases, you may want to check out Blood Omen, Codename Tenka, Silent Bomber, Ghost in the Shell, Future Cop LAPD, Warhawk and Gex 2.

Great suggestions. Star Ixiom looks right up my alley, didn't know it existed. Maybe I'm a little crazy but I think Colony Wars holds up incredibly well. It still looks beautiful (Maybe I have a soft spot for the " Psygnosis futuristic look" )

I would also second the Blood Omen recommendation (play it before Soul Reaver if you can), and also Crash 1 and 2 are still very good. For colourful platformers, one of my favourites on PS1 was Klonoa, so check out that one.

And of course other PS1 mandatories are Resident Evil 2, Silent Hill, MGS, and if you're into JRPGs there are tons of great ones like Suikoden I and II, Wild ARMs, FFTactics, Breath of Fire III and IV, etc. (sigh, Konami was so good in those days...)

I have Klonoa for PS2 and it's wonderful. Definitely giving the PS1 version a look. I'm a little picky with my RPG's so I gotta take a good look before I choose, they're definitely not cheap. I have FF8 and FF9 sealed. Dying to play them but I'm not sure if I should open them.

Also have my sights set on Medievil 1 and 2. Love the look of both games!

Thanks for the suggestions!

Do you guys think there would be point in making a PS4 collectors thread? I would love to see peoples collections and trade information between territories, but I'm afraid to create one if the consensus is that only old school consoles deserve collecting topics.

I just went over to the fourth shelf with my collection.
My full PS4 collection: https://instagram.com/vhyttinen/
e2HWajh.jpg

How is it even possible to have that many PS4 games but no Wolfenstein

Top Bottom