• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Khaz

I know Bad_Ad84 sells them, but he's from the UK so you may have to wait for a while before receiving your chips.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
This is for Multimode 3, which is just a program installed to a super common microcontroller:

anTpdVd.jpg

As far as I know it works fine for that model as well. Might be a bit harder to solder in since there are smaller components.

Net Yaroze seem hard to find. I saw one in Japan for ~$300 but looking on ebay... yikes!

So if my only goal is to be able to play all JP games, including the ones that require a stealth chip, will the Multimode 3 let me do that?

So if my only goal is to be able to play all JP games, including the ones that require a stealth chip, will the Multimode 3 let me do that?

AFAIK, yes. I mostly bought mine to play fan translations since I have a JP and US PS1. But everything I read about it said it should work with every released game.

NIGHT-

So while shopping with the girlfriend today, I went across a local game shop and found a complete copy of Tomba 2 for $60. The manual disc and case are excellent. I went ahead and picked it up, I still need the first game. Did I do well?

Recently acquired a bunch of games including a black label FF VII. Already had a Greatest Hits version, but I'll take it. Oh, and it happens to have the typo on the back. Nice.

Since we're talking pickups, I recently snagged G-Darius and Gekioh: Shooting King (aka Shienryu) for $6 each on Craigslist. Seller had a bunch of junk games and a couple of niche shmups mixed in. Not a major steal but it looks like they're going for $20 or $25 on eBay.

Leynos

So while shopping with the girlfriend today, I went across a local game shop and found a complete copy of Tomba 2 for $60. The manual disc and case are excellent. I went ahead and picked it up, I still need the first game. Did I do well?

It's a bit more than what I would pay, but you did well. I beat it years ago, and had a fantastic time with it. I should play the first one sometime.

Khaz

Well I'm now the happy owner of game SCES-00004, and this numbering makes me want the first three for no other reason than completeness. Stupid collector behaviour.

Rapid Reload / Gunner's Heaven is great guys, you should all play it! 50Hz isn't really a burden, the action is frantic enough as it is and the English dialogues is a nice addition.

I want a copy of Gunner's Heaven.

Got Gradius Gaiden in the mail a few days ago!

edit: found gunner's heaven that ships from Nevada for about $18 on amazon. rolling the dice on condition, but w/e. also, amazon recommended Project Altered Beast for PS2 in addition lolllll

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Lovely Retro Polygons

is more accurate imo =)

I adore how some PS1 games look. I even like the pixely textures. Mmmm.

Got Gradius Gaiden in the mail a few days ago!

Congrats. It's the best one, imo. Although I've always considered it more of a Salamander game than a pure Gradius.

Jaeger

How's the port of Zero 2' Dash on PSX compared to the Saturn? Is it like most other Capcom PSX ports missing frames and/or slowdown?

Daria

I have one, maybe two of the OG's sitting in a box with cables and controllers. I don't know if it's worth saving or letting go? mainly because I don't have many games for it and yada yada.

or I was thinking of maybe using the shell for a Raspberry Pi 2 sort of that SNES console mod somewhere on Gaf did

got an opportunity to buy Tron Bonne complete and in somewhere between good and very good condition for $170ish. hmmm

edit: also learned that Gradius Deluxe and Salamander Deluxe for the PS1 both exist. expensive day!

Mzo

Yeah, super clean look that reads very well and gives off a pleasing cartoon aesthetic. That's a big part of what I love about Mega Man Legends.

Khaz

welp, I just received Silent hill. Not that I really want to play it, but I'm being constantly told how a masterpiece it was. How scary is it? I'm a big sissy when it comes to these sort of games. It's definitely not next on my list, I guess I'm afraid to be afraid, but I'll play it someday.

Sword Familiar

welp, I just received Silent hill. Not that I really want to play it, but I'm being constantly told how a masterpiece it was. How scary is it? I'm a big sissy when it comes to these sort of games. It's definitely not next on my list, I guess I'm afraid to be afraid, but I'll play it someday.

It doesn't really have jump scares. It's more of a scariness that creeps up on you due to the atmosphere. I think you can handle it.

Mzo

It's scary until they start to explain what's going on. Then it's goofy. The atmosphere in that game is fantastic, though.

I had a greatest hits one I got rid of a long, long time ago and am finding it difficult to buy the game online again for whatever reason, and it hasn't come up locally. Hopefully one day I'll come across a shiny one.

From someone who's played every SH except Origins and Shattered Memories the original has the scariest atmosphere in the series to me at least.

The original went into the "hell" version of Silent Hill way more than any of it's sequels. Navigating the environments in SH1 is flat out scary the first time, especially the school.

It's been a while since I've played the original but I remember the enemies being much more aggressive in the original. While I love SH2, when I replayed it recently I noticed that the common fodder enemies just are not really aggressive/intimidating at all. They all move really slow and are easy to avoid.

In Silent Hill 1, there's enemies that will outrun your ass down. The original probably has the best common fodder in the series.

So whenever I replay SH2 or SH3, while I might be creeped out by the environments. I'm never really scared of anything in those environments. It's the exact opposite for me with the first game.

Man, San Francisco really is a black hole for retro game stores :/

Instant gratification plays a huge role in me purchasing old stuff. I mean the occasional craigslist ad pops up but that's starting to be risky nowadays as well. I recently had to return a busted copy of Tekken 3 I bought from eBay for like 13 bucks so this entire prospect has me burned.

But dude yeah, the PS1 is a rad ass system.

Man, San Francisco really is a black hole for retro game stores :/

Instant gratification plays a huge role in me purchasing old stuff. I mean the occasional craigslist ad pops up but that's starting to be risky nowadays as well. I recently had to return a busted copy of Tekken 3 I bought from eBay for like 13 bucks so this entire prospect has me burned.

But dude yeah, the PS1 is a rad ass system.

I'd like to get more deals in person, but opening a package is so satisfying I can't complain.

Khaz

It doesn't really have jump scares. It's more of a scariness that creeps up on you due to the atmosphere. I think you can handle it.

Ok, I guess the jump scares are the worst.

I tried the first few minutes, until you first meet the ranger in the diner
and the pterodactyl attacked and killed me
. It's creepy weird but not much more, I was tippytoeing each screen because I was constantly anticipating for a jump scare. Also I played with a bright light and low sound which quite detracted from the experience I suppose. Next time I'll go in the dark with headphones on. Probably won't last five minutes ^^

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'd like to get more deals in person, but opening a package is so satisfying I can't complain.

I have the complete opposite feeling. When I get a retro game in the mail, I kinda dread opening it, because I always wonder "okay, what's gonna be fucked up?" It happens often enough that I don't actually enjoy getting stuff that much anymore.

But when it goes well, that feels pretty great.

I have the complete opposite feeling. When I get a retro game in the mail, I kinda dread opening it, because I always wonder "okay, what's gonna be fucked up?" It happens often enough that I don't actually enjoy getting stuff that much anymore.

But when it goes well, that feels pretty great.

I've had pretty good experiences with ordering online. Typically the only times I'm disappointed are because I didn't read.

Lynd7

Hey

I remembered a game I played as a kid back in the 90's on my uncles PS1, it would have probably been an early game, 96/97 maybe.

It was a spaceship rail shooter, it also had FMV cutscenes and when you lost it showed the doctor's looking down at you and stuff.

Not sure what it's called.

Hey

I remembered a game I played as a kid back in the 90's on my uncles PS1, it would have probably been an early game, 96/97 maybe.

It was a spaceship rail shooter, it also had FMV cutscenes and when you lost it showed the doctor's looking down at you and stuff.

Not sure what it's called.
That game over screen sounds like Shockwave 2 on 3DO. I don't know if the PS1 version is similar.

Lynd7

That game over screen sounds like Shockwave 2 on 3DO. I don't know if the PS1 version is similar.

Ah, seems like your right. It's Shockwave Assault on the PS1. I thought it was in the 3rd person view though, maybe you can change it? Or I'm just remembering wrong.

Eh, I would say the bigger issue is seller's not being nearly descriptive enough. Especially on amazon where hardly no one posts photos.

I roll the dice constantly. It usually turns out well or it's a game I don't care about being perfect. I've had one bad deal where I really needed to return it because of condition.

So I've been listening to Retronauts for the first time recently and everything was OK until I got to their episode about Xenogears. Talk about harsh. I understand the complaints that people have with the game but Parish's entire argument boiled down to the fact that there's not enough "game" in Xenogears. I get that there are a lot of great RPGs that are efficient and fun, but you'd think someone interested in a genre defined by its focus on narrative would appreciate a game that's trying to do something grand and cinematic.

Yeah, yeah, I understand why people wouldn't want to play a game where they're just advancing endless text boxes with dialogue they don't care about, a game they're not engaged with. I get that games are supposed to do the work to engage your attention, but I think that a game can only do so much when someone isn't willing to engage themselves with the whole experience. For instance, I'm very happy that I didn't play the game until I was around 19. I had a much better appreciation of gameplay and the ways a game could experiment with form, genre, spectacle, and player experience -- which Xenogears knocked out of the park. I could totally picture 12-year-old self just lazily trudging my way through the game, but I was looking for different things from games back then.

Mzo

I think most people who are into RPGs really like Xenogears and forgive its many, many flaws.

There's definitely still something enjoyable in all that mess.

Khaz

I don't know, I received it by mistake so I was able to try the first few minutes of it and I was really put off by the presentation. I mean you start the game when your village is on fire AND you have amnesia AND guns and mechs are ancient tech from a mysterious civilisation. You can't really put more tired tropes in the first few minutes. And the writing is terrible, I really hope the plot is better than the script.

I want to experience it further though, so I may keep this copy and play it more later. But the first impression was definitely not good.

Sword Familiar

I think most people who are into RPGs really like Xenogears and forgive its many, many flaws.

There's definitely still something enjoyable in all that mess.

I think I'm one of the few who didn't enjoy it that much. It looks/sounds good, but is tedious, boring and generally uninteresting. I'm also one of those who liked the second disc more than the first one, heh.

Hahaha seriously. I feel you on the camera though, it sucked -- especially during some of the platforming sections.

Speaking of cameras though, I think the game has some of the coolest cutscene camera angles of its time, at least in JRPGs. Really makes the game into a "big" experience.

Teknoman

I need to get back to Xenogears. Also if you like SRPGs at all, give Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden (full english patch) a shot. Pretty challenging at times and a great soundtrack with a mix of original music and licensed theme songs.

Khaz

Gunbike is damn awesome guys. You race on a bike that can transform into a mech to destroy stuff. You also have boss battles for when you are a mech. You should definitely check it out!

gunbike-1.png
gunbike-10.png
gunbike-11.png
gunbike-15.png

Made by inti creates

Top Bottom