• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Khaz

I have seen consistent reports that the PS3 introduces input lag on PSone games. Has anyone tested them with the PS3 set to 480i on a CRT?

The PS1 input lag is due to emulation. You will have less input lag by ditching the flat-panel, but the console itself adds lag. Just get a PS1, it costs like $10.

Zing

Banned
I only asked because I game on a CRT and have been considering buying a PS3. If it could play PSone games flawlessly then I would be sold. Apparently not, so I will stick with my PSone.

Although, I question your use of the word "emulation". None of the PS3 models use emulation for PSone disc games, as the console contains the hardware. It is the PS2 which was bumped to emulation with the second batch of PS3 systems. Unless something has changed!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Although, I question your use of the word "emulation". None of the PS3 models use emulation for PSone disc games, as the console contains the hardware. It is the PS2 which was bumped to emulation with the second batch of PS3 systems. Unless something has changed!

Not sure if that's true... I noticed a ton of glitches in FF7, for example, even on the OG 60gb PS3. That shouldn't be happening if it's the original hardware in there. Even the PS2 Slim seems to have a bunch of issues (mostly audio) with PS1 games.

Don't digital PS1 games play on an emulator? I'd find it pretty funky if discs played on hardware but ISOs played on emulator. Seems like an odd case.

I'm still of the mind that a DTL or Fatty PS2 with FMCB + HDD is the way to go for everything PS1/2. Pretty close to perfect compatibility (only a few games don't work, and the overwhelming majority of those aren't worth playing), decent cable options, and very little fuss over input lag, controls, etc.
talked with some folks and googled around a bit, I'm fairly confident that it's emulation (past the first few models). Additionally it's region locked.

Don't digital PS1 games play on an emulator? I'd find it pretty funky if discs played on hardware but ISOs played on emulator. Seems like an odd case.

I'm still of the mind that a DTL or Fatty PS2 with FMCB + HDD is the way to go for everything PS1/2. Pretty close to perfect compatibility (only a few games don't work, and the overwhelming majority of those aren't worth playing), decent cable options, and very little fuss over input lag, controls, etc.
talked with some folks and googled around a bit, I'm fairly confident that it's emulation (past the first few models). Additionally it's region locked.

Weirdly enough, It's not region locked for the digital download games. I have played a lot of J-PSN PSOne Archive releases on my NA system.

IrishNinja

I posted this in the 20th anniversary thread. This had to be my favorite mag back in the day next to gamefan and gameplayers

I also won an Ebay auction of 35 PSM mags. I have just about every single issue I owned and then some minus 2 before the metal gear solid 1 issue. The September 1998 and October 1998 issues

$_57.JPG

late on this, but congrats! loved that mag, followed Chris Slate there and during that golden era of PSX ('97-early aughts) they rarely steered me wrong, had tons of great recommendations between them & Gamefan. and i totally still use some memory card stickers, haha

My friend did the coloring for the Wipeout/Adam Warren cover. He snuck in his telephone number <now disconnected> at the time somewhere in the artwork, see if you can find it :)

this is awesome, gonna look for it!

Kept my momentum going after Mega Man Legends and played through the Misadventures of Tron Bonne.

It was really charming! The levels ranged from great (bank robbery) to meh (farm stuff.) The cargo container puzzles were almost too clever at times. Some of the solutions were moves I didn't even know you could do.

I loved the different outfits Tron wore and how some had animation, like being out on the deck.

The controls were still a bit stiff and it still feels better with a dpad. Looks like the zenny pickup radius has been improved, making their collection less of a chore.

Training servbots was repetitive, though. Would've been nice to have a couple of minigames for each stat instead of just the one each. Luckily it wasn't too hard to max them out, but there was absolutely no reward or acknowledgement for doing so =[ Throw me a freaking bone or something.

Already started Legends 2 and... I'm kind of blown away. It's a huge improvement in terms of graphics, narrative and controls so far. There's been more story in the intro movie than all of Legends.

always wanted to try these ones, surprised you'd not played them prior but im digging the ongoing impressions here...might finally give them ago. about how long are MML1/2 and tron?

Weirdly enough, It's not region locked for the digital download games. I have played a lot of J-PSN PSOne Archive releases on my NA system.

yeah, i drunkenly bought a few JP ones years ago (Mega Man 3 for some reason) and have had no issues

Mzo

always wanted to try these ones, surprised you'd not played them prior but im digging the ongoing impressions here...might finally give them ago. about how long are MML1/2 and tron?

They're about 10 hours a piece, give or take a couple of hours depending on how much you do.

If anyone wants to hear my friends and I talk about

Mega Man Legends and Tail Concerto

in our new baby podcast, I'd love to get some feedback from you guys. The format is that we give ourselves two weeks to play a game and then discuss everything about it from its development (if it's an interesting story) to it's gameplay, graphics, and music. The papercraft cover is by my friend Finch, who is also on the podcast.

It's a little on the long side. I think the Legends talk was ok but Tail Concerto suffered a bit from being crammed back into this episode after some scheduling conflicts. I make (what I think) is a really good Huepow joke that I hope someone out there will get someday =[

PS - I've already asked at my childhood forum of TNL, but I'd love to get some RetroGAF people involved. If anyone here ever wants to be a guest on the show, we take suggestions. All I ask is that you have strong feelings about the game you suggest (love or hate) and aren't too shy, since I tend to be loud and highly opinionated =]

Listened to it all, which is odd for me since I'm not too into podcasts.

A couple of notes about the MML part. All the dungeons are connected except for the 3 sub cities. You noted how you saw the Servbots around the different areas while investigating the bank robbery stuff and then they were the ones that opened up a restaurant when you returned the money that was stolen. Did you notice how they probably didn't rob the bank, but just withdrew the money to open the bank and were just mistaken for robbers? They do get the money back to open their restaurant if you return it after all.

As for the money stuff you talked a lot about, the two biggest ticket items aren't really intended for a full upgrade on a normal run and break the game considerably if they are. The Active Buster will destroy anything in seconds fully upgraded without even aiming at them and has infinite ammo. Juno will not even get an attack off on hard mode iirc. That final energy upgrade costs more then fully upgrading everything on the Shining Laser, and it's upgrades are really costly compared to other weapons as well. It was funny hearing you talk about using the vacuum arm at the expense of having a real sub weapon when I don't think I ever used it in any of my runs of the game except as a novelty. The having to run around and collect all your drops was another early 3d thing I guess. As someone who played the game when it first came out it really didn't seem that weird or tedious at the time, but after years of 3d game evolution and how drops like that always have a ton of magnetism now I can see why it would seem odd looking back.

Mzo

Thanks for listening!

That's a really cute story with the ServBots. I didn't explore the town enough at that point! Poor little guys... And you're absolutely right. While I do go for 100% completion in games and found the zenny farming to be past my personal breaking point, I should have pointed out that upgrading the weapons does in fact completely break the game and is not necessary (or even encouraged, really.)

The real problem with zenny drops in this game is that their pickup radius is way too small, something they fixed in Tron Bonne and Legends 2. Vacuum for life.

Thanks for the feedback!

Peltz

I only asked because I game on a CRT and have been considering buying a PS3. If it could play PSone games flawlessly then I would be sold. Apparently not, so I will stick with my PSone.

This definitely isn't true.

Also, afaik the PS3 isn't capable of 240p output so it's pretty much disqualified if your goal is accurate PS1 games on a CRT. Get a PS2 for 99% accuracy or a PS1 for 100%.

Also, afaik the PS3 isn't capable of 240p output so it's pretty much disqualified if your goal is accurate PS1 games on a CRT. Get a PS2 for 99% accuracy or a PS1 for 100%.

This is what I'm aware of, too. All PS1 games are emulated on PS3 and the lag comes primarily from converting 240p content into interlaced images, from what I've read. I once set my PS3 to 480p via component and that seemed to eliminate much of the PS1 lag. But my PS3 games all looked way off. I now have a PS2 for the 99% accuracy noted here.

Thanks for listening!

That's a really cute story with the ServBots. I didn't explore the town enough at that point! Poor little guys... And you're absolutely right. While I do go for 100% completion in games and found the zenny farming to be past my personal breaking point, I should have pointed out that upgrading the weapons does in fact completely break the game and is not necessary (or even encouraged, really.)

The real problem with zenny drops in this game is that their pickup radius is way too small, something they fixed in Tron Bonne and Legends 2. Vacuum for life.

Thanks for the feedback!

Same on the bolded. It is that tendency that made me search out all the really enjoyable side quests and extra dialog in the game though. Stuff that I didn't expected to even be a part of the game. The second Legends game is the same, in that some of the upgrades are super expensive and you have to farm a ton if you want to complete everything, but it is in no way intended. Games that make you really choose your upgrades like that are a real pain for me since I have a need to farm out everything. The Zenny pickup radius is defiantly another early 3d thing though, with the transition from 2d games where it was a given that you had to run directly into anything to actually pick it up.

Another thing I forgot to mention is how much I liked you guys doing the voices from the game. Kinda shows that good or bad, the voice work in it was memorable.

Was thinking about the PS1 being 20 years old here in Europe. I loved that console for all it's amazing racing games. My three favourites from 1995 from my collection:

dsc_0149avkph.jpg

Zing

Banned

Already corrected long ago, my friend.

Does seem odd since the PS2 has 240p output, but in that case it was hardware driven.

Collection-wise, I acquired Azure Dreams (again) after selling it last year. I'm in a better mood for it now.

I tried playing through Mega Man Legends again, but can't stomache it. I really enjoyed it my second time through, but it is just too rough for another play.

woodypop

Cheap ($8) addition to my small JPN PS1 library today:

66E8C736-F05B-4D9F-A059-821B6BB454C3_zpsq2hlcp9l.jpg

Capcom Generation 4 - Gun.Smoke, Commando, Mercs. It's cool that Mercs retains 3-player capability, and Gun.Smoke is always fun. Pew-pew-pew!

IrishNinja

^that's awesome man! ive got the G&G one on saturn, that volume there and the 1943 disc are on my list for sure. all 3 of those games are fun but i'd love to get a 3-player mercs game going!

Teknoman

With Mzo's podcast, Retronauts people being members here, Greg Sewart being a member here, people uploading things to youtube, and of course CoachKev's Back in my Play, maybe we should made a media section to the main Retro GAF thread?

IrishNinja

...that's actually a really good idea, man. too lazy to toss the URL's together right now but if anyone else does i'll add it for sure!

Zing

Banned
I stumbled across Jade Cocoon at my local game store for a very good price, so I bought it. I had always considered getting this game from EBay, but the high cost made it feel risky. I played it for a bit today and think I will really enjoy it.

I stumbled across Jade Cocoon at my local game store for a very good price, so I bought it. I had always considered getting this game from EBay, but the high cost made it feel risky. I played it for a bit today and think I will really enjoy it.

Nice! It was one of the last RPGs I picked up for the system. I hate that I didn't play it as a kid, I think I would have been really into it considering the anime-styled graphics and Pokemon-inspired gameplay. Doubt I could manage it nowadays.

I've been itching for a good RPG lately, so I started up Tales of Destiny and played through about 2 hours or so...before I got bored and switched to Infinite Undiscovery, lol.

Zing

Banned
You are crazy. Tales of destiny is classic fun! I have yet to finish it myself. It was the last game I played a few years ago before I took a long PSone hiatus.

Keep us informed. I ended up getting a PSOne from a flea market to replace my aging problematic gray model (think it's a SCPH-5501). Wouldn't mind bringing it outta retirement tho!

Is that a beta unit?

I've wanted to get a PSIO for a loooooong time. Too bad it's kinda pricy. I might still go for it.

Ouch. I just saw the price. Yeah, I don't think I'll be buying that as cool as it sounds I'd rather just use a mod chip or swap method with an Action Replay.

I have two PS1s with bad lasers. I ordered the laser and motor all in one kit for my specific system (a BAM unit) but after the swap it wouldn't spin the disc. Does anyone know what might be happening? Are there any good write ups or tutorials out there?

Ouch. I just saw the price. Yeah, I don't think I'll be buying that as cool as it sounds I'd rather just use a mod chip or swap method with an Action Replay.

I have two PS1s with bad lasers. I ordered the laser and motor all in one kit for my specific system (a BAM unit) but after the swap it wouldn't spin the disc. Does anyone know what might be happening? Are there any good write ups or tutorials out there?

I have a modchip now but I want a long term solution that doesn't involve discs cause I don't trust them. My official CDs will rot, CD-R backups will rot faster, and CD-Rs won't be purchasable at some point to recreate them.

I'd rather get it sooner since we can't assume these sort of kits will be available forever.

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
About damn time........

Now time to breath life back into my PAL launch SCPH-1002 console (broken laser)

You lucky, lucky person...
I'll get it as soon as it's on sale. I've been tempted to spend money on the Everdrive, but I'm definitely going to get this one.

The thread about Umihara Kawase and my subsequent reading of the relevant hg101 article made me buy the PS1 game. I have no idea what I'm going into. I'll tell you in a month.

The PS1 game (Shun) rocks. It's coming to Steam too via Agatsuma, apparently. I hope you enjoy!

Ugly as fuck game tho, but I guess that's the series' MO

Isn't it supposed to be hard as fuck, too? honestly not sure that's a game I'd like to play on the PS1. Vita's dpad and screen response time sounds better suited though idk if it's on PSN, and obviously a sizable population of folks in here are collecting and prefer OG hardware (myself included, for the most part).

Mzo

I love the Umihara game series. It's not that hard once you figure out that you gain momentum with the springiness of the line and by reeling in at just the right time, not by swinging.

It's a lot of fun.

Lettuce

Here a video i made of the PSIO device....

https://youtu.be/CbNEmO3qClo

works more or less flawlessly, only issue atm is that it doesnt support cue sheets, but you can use a program that create's a file know as a .cu3 file so audio music streamed from cd disc works, hopefully true cue sheet support for CD-DA audio will be added in the future also be nice if you could save game data to the SD card thus removing the need for a memory card.

Stoked that i got in on the Beta and only paid $50 for it to become a tester, now to backup my PS1 library :(

Lettuce

How do the loading times compare?

Yeah they are reduced, there is an option in the menu that is listed as 'Fast Read' or something but thats greyed out atm for the beta.

I could make a video of say loading the disc of Wipeout and then loading it via PSIO to compare

D.Lo

Here a video i made of the PSIO device....

https://youtu.be/CbNEmO3qClo

works more or less flawlessly, only issue atm is that it doesnt support cue sheets, but you can use a program that create's a file know as a .cu3 file so audio music streamed from cd disc works, hopefully true cue sheet support for CD-DA audio will be added in the future also be nice if you could save game data to the SD card thus removing the need for a memory card.

Stoked that i got in on the Beta and only paid $50 for it to become a tester, now to backup my PS1 library :(
Nice work!

That's a quite extensive internal mod unfortunately. I wonder if it could be done more easily without using the port, and replacing the drive, like some of these other console's drive replacement solutions are doing.

Honestly seems easier to just burn backups. Perhaps not quite as convenient once all is set up, but still pretty simple if you've got a modded system or some other way of playing backups.

D.Lo

Honestly seems easier to just burn backups. Perhaps not quite as convenient once all is set up, but still pretty simple if you've got a modded system or some other way of playing backups.
It's not about piracy, anybody can steal. It's about longevity.

It's not about piracy, anybody can steal. It's about longevity.

What? Where in my comment did I say anything about piracy? Maybe I'm missing something, but this plays ISOs or similar, right? How is that different from taking the same ISO and putting it on a backup? I've done this with a number of my games so that I can keep them in their boxes and protect them from scratching.

D.Lo

What? Where in my comment did I say anything about piracy? Maybe I'm missing something, but this plays ISOs or similar, right? How is that different from taking the same ISO and putting it on a backup? I've done this with a number of my games so that I can keep them in their boxes and protect them from scratching.
Longevity of the drive/console. Disc drives have moving parts and die. They literally wear out with each use. So this means original hardware will be able to be used without killing parts.

Discs can be damaged, but do not wear out (in theory - there is disc rot happening), or at least wear out far slower than drives.

Longevity of the drive/console. Disc drives have moving parts and die. They literally wear out with each use. So this means original hardware will be able to be used without killing parts.

Discs can be damaged, but do not wear out (in theory - there is disc rot happening), or at least wear out far slower than drives.

I guess. I'm using a PS2 and replacements parts are still pretty abundant so I admit I'm not terribly fussed about longevity of the console. Not to mention that PS1s seem to die at the drop of the hat.

If you don't want your PS1's disc drive to get worn out, then yeah I guess this is a good product, though.

Top Bottom