• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Teknoman

I got my Pocketstation yesterday and omg I forgot how much technology has advanced so fast.

This thing is small well at least the screen. I know its just a ps1 memory card with an LCD screen.

I'm curious to know how much this thing costed back in the day when it came out

Now I need to see what games are on this thing as well as looking into putting my games on this thing

sonypocketstation.jpg

Final Fantasy VIII and maybe Chocobo Dungeon 2?

Klonoa rocks. I remember it was on sale for under a dollar on PSN recently. I spammed that sale thread so hard. I'm a total Klonoa stan and own most if not all games in the series, lmao.

Klonoa rocks. I remember it was on sale for under a dollar on PSN recently. I spammed that sale thread so hard. I'm a total Klonoa stan and own most if not all games in the series, lmao.

I need to get around to the handheld games but I have everything released on consoles. The world needs more Klonoa!

Man I love Gumtree. People sell bundles of games to clear space and get quick money and have no idea what they have in their hands.

Managed to get Grandia for £10!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Man I love Gumtree. People sell bundles of games to clear space and get quick money and have no idea what they have in their hands.

Managed to get Grandia for £10!

I actually got this recently unopened for about that price, cant be too rare?

I know that it might sound a stupid question, but today I noticed that there are two different versions of Formula One (japan), one has the normal case and the other has that bigger case which was used in the beginnig for PS1 games
covers are the same, product code also, so I wonder if there is some difference except the case

Teknoman

I think I may have asked before, but is there anything about the PS1 version of Star Ocean 2 thats better than the PSP remake (or possible PS4/Vita port of the remake)?

AlanOC91

The newest edition to my collection from today.

I had a choice between this or Legend of Legaia. Both the same price. I chose this as I've seen Legend of Legaia MUCH more often online and in the wild.

GgOAKpK.jpg

Pre-order a PSIO Cartridge
PSIO is simply a cartridge that plugs into your PlayStation 1's Parallel I/O Port (PIO).
It will then let you play your software from an SD card on the console instead of the CD-ROM drive.

Brief Terms and Conditions
- These are strictly pre-orders only. This means that we will not start manufacturing instantly and supply is limited.
- All items are shipped from Australia using either DHL or Australia Post (depending on your region).
- All products shipped outside of Australia will not consolidate any Australian Tax, but you may be required to pay an import duty.
- You understand that an internal modification is required for PSIO to work with your PlayStation.
- If you require your PlayStation to be modified, please purchase a "PlayStation Switch Board Installation Service" with the third option.

Please do not email us asking where your cartridge is. You will receive an email once we have sent you your PSIO cartridge along with the tracking number. Depending on assembly turnover times, it may take up to 60 days until we begin working on your cartridge, so please be patient with us.

install.jpg

The price is tempting because that's only like $110 USD, but no thanks, the product isn't what I thought it was. I'd rather install a mod chip.

I also don't like that the terms and conditions say that manufacturing will not start instantly, which sounds innocuous enough, they're just covering their own ass. But they also say they don't want you to be asking where your cartridge is which tells me that they don't expecting to manufacture these in a hurry. I'm going to pass.

The price is tempting because that's only like $110 USD, but no thanks, the product isn't what I thought it was. I'd rather install a mod chip.

I also don't like that the terms and conditions say that manufacturing will not start instantly, which sounds innocuous enough, they're just covering their own ass. But they also say they don't want you to be asking where your cartridge is which tells me that they don't expecting to manufacture these in a hurry. I'm going to pass.
I hear you, but AFAIK, Paypal covers transactions for 6 months (because people were just filing chargebacks with their credit cards, anyway) I'll give them a few months and if it seems like a bust, I'll get a refund. Kind of sucks that they have all of my money, and they may not even have my cartridge done until 60 days have passed.

IrishNinja

nahh, you're not wrong to like it - gunsmith & others keep pointing out how important drive replacement stuff is in the long haul, as hardware breaks down over time. i'll be on that boat eventually, i'm sure! meanwhile, im riding these lasers till they fall off

nahh, you're not wrong to like it - gunsmith & others keep pointing out how important drive replacement stuff is in the long haul, as hardware breaks down over time. i'll be on that boat eventually, i'm sure! meanwhile, im riding these lasers till they fall off
Yeah pretty much my take. At some point I might buy a small stockpile of replacements but eh.

I can dig it! Hopefully development and competition-- apparently, this team is taking on Dreamcast next-- can help drive these prices down. PSIO is on the cheaper end at this moment, so I give them props for that, but it'd be nice to see these devices go under 100 bucks

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I just bought Suikoden II.

Sooo... between that and Valkyrie Profile, I think I bought both of my PS1 holy grails this year. That's a good fucking feeling.

Suikoden rocks, but I've only played the first two. The pacing is tight and the battles go by so quick. Does that trend continue with the later games?

Suikoden rocks, but I've only played the first two. The pacing is tight and the battles go by so quick. Does that trend continue with the later games?
I have heard the 5th described as "suikoden 2 in 3d", so I'm inclined to say they're pretty similar. 3 and 4 are a bit more divorced, though.

IrishNinja

Suikoden V isn't II at all, it's just the best one since that. Play it on an HDD loaded if you can for loading time improvement!

Man, I bought back Suiko 2 from former gaffer Himuro a while back, but loose - one day, a reasonably priced case & manual will come my way...or just a good repro of em
Having waited on & bought it Day 1 way back then, I refuse to be milked on it, haha

Any reason why my memory cards won't read or show any saves after all these years? I took them apart and cleaned the contacts but still nada. I also tried both ports and still nothing. These just die after awhile?

Any reason why my memory cards won't read or show any saves after all these years? I took them apart and cleaned the contacts but still nada. I also tried both ports and still nothing. These just die after awhile?
All my three official ones work fine! Third party crap you are using?

TwistedSyn

So I have started to go around and collect PS1 games recently. I used to have a PS1 and a ton of games for it but, it was all sold by my parents when doing a garage sale. I was out in Minnesota when they sold them and wasn't contacted about it at all. So coming back home I discovered all my PS1 stuff was gone. Never forgave them for doing that. Anyways here is the beginning of my collection. I am pretty happy with what I got my hands on.

8J1YX1c.jpg

I have a few duplicates that I'm selling, so I thought I'd give you guys first dibs. All are PAL versions.

GTA - Black Label. Includes Maps. Missing Instructions
FF7 - Black Label.
Silent Hill x2 - Both Black Label.

Been playing Grandia. I had this game as a kid but it's been a while since I last played it.

There are so many little details all over the place, just a ton of really cutely designed low-res 3D objects. It's really, really charming.

Couldn't you just get the official Sony one? The one they made for PS1/2 to PS3 transfer.

Should be significantly better since it uses USB.

Yeah that never occurred to me. I know it was designed for PS3s but is there software that makes it compatible with PC for archiving or sharing?

Top Bottom