• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Leynos

Currently I am playing in Colony Wars for the first time. I don't know maybe I am very poor gamer or this game is so fuc...incredible, impossible hard. As a matter of fact I finished game in 2h, but it was bad ending with all main missions loses by me.
I beat this year - according to fans of Souls games - hard game - Bloodborne, but in comparision with Colony Wars, BB is like a piece of cake.
I am totaly stuck. Spend over 3,5h playing in 2 act (Gallonigher) and trying to beat Navy fregate. I can't. Once I was very close to beat it, but...it was only one time.
Any advice? Maybe I can't beat this game. Maybe my skills aren't enough. I know there are cheates and codes, but that's not for me. Rather I abandon this game than use it. Unfortunately there isn't easy mode in this game.

I beat all three Colony Wars games years ago, but the only real advice that I have is:

1. Make sure that you take out shields before you try to take destroy the hull. Use anti-shield weapons first, then move into your anti-hull weapons.
2. Do not underestimate the value of EMP weapons - they are extremely helpful. Especially for large vessels, EMP weapons make the job much, much easier as the target can no longer can fire back, or escape.
3. Lead your target. Don't shoot at where they are right now, shoot ahead of them as it takes some time for your shots to travel.
4. Don't be afraid to use missiles, especially on agile enemies.

And yes, the save system sucks ass in that you can only save your progress after every two, or three levels. So if you die in the last level before you can save, then you can either take the loss, or start again from your last save.

I really wish the video would stop cutting to a close up of his face talking.

A matter of taste I guess but I don't mind it. I like to know who's doing the analysis and lots of YTers never show their face. What I really appreciate is how Derek just lets the content do the talking. I have never once laughed at or been the least bit entertained by the schmucks who edit in dumb little asides or pictures or who act all angry or crack jokes. Hardly any gamers on YT are actually funny or clever. Only guy who is even close to having a "personality" that I find entertaining is Mark at CGR, but that's because he's actually being himself.

A matter of taste I guess but I don't mind it. I like to know who's doing the analysis and lots of YTers never show their face. What I really appreciate is how Derek just lets the content do the talking. I have never once laughed at or been the least bit entertained by the schmucks who edit in dumb little asides or pictures or who act all angry or crack jokes. Hardly any gamers on YT are actually funny or clever. Only guy who is even close to having a "personality" that I find entertaining is Mark at CGR, but that's because he's actually being himself.

It was more the close up of it, not that he showed his face. Watching the video full screen made me feel like it was a person standing too close to me while talking.

Cross post from the pick ups thread.

Got a few PS1 games in the last two weeks.

2015-08-12-050921_zpstarrir9i.jpg
2015-08-12-050858_zpsxoweq7st.jpg

2015-08-12-050905_zpsqueegir1.jpg
2015-08-12-050913_zpstmwmx6i3.jpg

2015-08-12-050849_zpshxfwimid.jpg
2015-08-12-050838_zpskgwqj3ef.jpg

I found this baby a not so great game store(usually price there games at high end e-bay prices) I go to sometimes. But someone made a huge mistake! Yes that price tag says $9.99. :D

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
As a Nintendo guy at the time (still playing a lot of Nintendo, but not exclusively anymore), I've found a PS1 on the ground last year and have decided to get myself a small PS1 collection of the highlights I missed so far. My collection now has the following games:
- Crash Bandicoot (set to arrive this week)
- Crash Bandicoot 2 (it was always my favourite PS1 game back in the day)
- Crash Bandicoot 3
- Alundra (playing right now)
- TearRing Saga (so this is where Fire Emblem 64 ended up ;))

Also, my fiancée brought FFIX into the household and on Saturn I already own Croc and Rayman, so I won't buy those again for PlayStation. I've also bought Ridge Racer Type 4 in order to get a new case to replace the missing one for Alundra, but as someone who likes Arcade racers, I'll give it a try before deciding whether I'll throw it away or not. On PSP I have FF Tactics, but I found it rather bad, so no need for the PS1 version, here. Now those games basically are everything I could come up with myself so I figured I'd ask for some gems I might have forgotten in here. In order to get good recommendations, I'll list my favourite genres and my favourite games within those genres:
- platforming (Mario series, Sonic series, Banjo-Kazooie, Rayman series)
- Action-Adventure (Zelda series, Metroid series, Sphinx & Cursed Mummy)
- RPG (Lufia 2, Fire Emblem series, Mario RPG series)
- arcade (F-Zero series, Monkey Ball series, Crazy Taxi series)

Do you have any recommendations for me? There are still two likely candidates, which I want to rule out: Spyro, because my experience with the first game was enormously bad, both mechanically, and regarding the use of the collectathon gameplay concept, and WipEout, because I'm extremely picky with controls in arcade racers. It must absolutely not be floaty, I need full control.

EDIT: I also already have Klonoa on Wii and don't like tank-controls, so horror action-adventures that play like Resident Evil 1-3 are not for me.

Spyro series seems obvious. You could try out the various mega man games on the system, or look at some of the RPGs (honestly there are so many I'm not even going to bother listing them, google will net you hundreds of lists).

As far as something a bit further off the beaten path, Ghost in the Shell seems to fit your genre preferences and is quite a good time, especially if you like the manga/anime.
Yeah, there are countlessly many, but it's difficult to find which are really good choices for me. While I do enjoy FFIX, I typically prefer more active RPGs like the Mario & Luigi ones or the amazing Lufia 2 which is packed to the brim with puzzles. Often, RPGs are just fights + story, which I like a lot less if it isn't an SRPG.

EDIT: Oh and on a related note, for 3D games, is there a good third party controller that has the d-pad and the left stick switched?
Well the glaringly obvious choice is Alundra based on what you've said, but you're on top of that. Honestly I haven't played enough of the RPG library to give you really specific recommendations, perhaps someone else will be able to.

Yoshi

or look at some of the RPGs (honestly there are so many I'm not even going to bother listing them, google will net you hundreds of lists).

Yeah, there are countlessly many, but it's difficult to find which are really good choices for me. While I do enjoy FFIX, I typically prefer more active RPGs like the Mario & Luigi ones or the amazing Lufia 2 which is packed to the brim with puzzles. Often, RPGs are just fights + story, which I like a lot less if it isn't an SRPG.

EDIT: Oh and on a related note, for 3D games, is there a good third party controller that has the d-pad and the left stick switched?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
On PSP I have FF Tactics, but I found it rather bad
What the.... how

here. Now those games basically are everything I could come up with myself so I figured I'd ask for some gems I might have forgotten in here. In order to get good recommendations, I'll list my favourite genres and my favourite games within those genres:
- platforming (Mario series, Sonic series, Banjo-Kazooie, Rayman series)
- Action-Adventure (Zelda series, Metroid series, Sphinx & Cursed Mummy)
- RPG (Lufia 2, Fire Emblem series, Mario RPG series)
- arcade (F-Zero series, Monkey Ball series, Crazy Taxi series)

Do you have any recommendations for me? There are still two likely candidates, which I want to rule out: Spyro, because my experience with the first game was enormously bad, both mechanically, and regarding the use of the collectathon gameplay concept, and WipEout, because I'm extremely picky with controls in arcade racers. It must absolutely not be floaty, I need full control.

EDIT: I also already have Klonoa on Wii and don't like tank-controls, so horror action-adventures that play like Resident Evil 1-3 are not for me.
Platforming: Skullmonkeys
Action-adventure: Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, MediEvil
RPG: Wild ARMs, Breath of Fire III, Xenogears

Skullmonkeys has some similarities to Rayman I'd say. 2D side-scrolling and challenging, but all done in claymation style. Very funny game. I don't know how hard it is to find though. I don't think it's on PSN. :(

Blood Omen is like a 2D Zelda but in the gothic horror/fantasy style with a mature storyline (actually mature and not "gore and tits lol so edgy"). Loading times suck but it's the only serious drawback. It's available for cheap on PSN. Soul Reaver, the sequel, is actually like Zelda too, but the 3D one. A semi-open world like the 3D Zeldas, but with little to no hand-holding whatsoever, heavily puzzle-oriented. Once again great writing and VA. And yeah if you like Super Metroid and never played SotN (what's wrong with you?!), then that one is mandatory.

If you like Lufia I'd recommend Wild ARMs, it's got similar action-style puzzles and it's a very fun JRPG with great music. I don't know if BoFIII and Xenogears would be your type, but they're among the best of the era really, and definitely both in my top 10 JRPGs of all-time.

Yoshi

What the.... how
I'll explain it quickly to you because you asked, but I don't want to cause any trouble or lengthy discussion about it, after all, it's an appreciation thread ;). I love SRPGs, in particular Fire Emblem, but als TearRing Saga, Pokémon Conquest and Shining Force were a lot of fun to me. However FFT has too miniscule maps, too aggressive enemies and is way too grindy for my liking. I prefer if SRPGs do not offer any way to grind whatsoever, in FFT, grinding, choosing jobs and building your roster seems to be way more important than clever tactics on the battlefield. Moreover, the intertwined moving of your own characters and the enemy's characters makes it almost impossible to really do formation based tactis, so you are even more dependent on the strength of individual units. FFT was one of only very few games I had to abondon because of how much I disliked it.

Platforming: Skullmonkeys
Action-adventure: Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, MediEvil
RPG: Wild ARMs, Breath of Fire III, Xenogears

Skullmonkeys has some similarities to Rayman I'd say. 2D side-scrolling and challenging, but all done in claymation style. Very funny game. I don't know how hard it is to find though. I don't think it's on PSN. :(

Blood Omen is like a 2D Zelda but in the gothic horror/fantasy style with a mature storyline (actually mature and not "gore and tits lol so edgy"). Loading times suck but it's the only serious drawback. It's available for cheap on PSN. Soul Reaver, the sequel, is actually like Zelda too, but the 3D one. A semi-open world like the 3D Zeldas, but with little to no hand-holding whatsoever, heavily puzzle-oriented. Once again great writing and VA. And yeah if you like Super Metroid and never played SotN (what's wrong with you?!), then that one is mandatory.

If you like Lufia I'd recommend Wild ARMs, it's got similar action-style puzzles and it's a very fun JRPG with great music. I don't know if BoFIII and Xenogears would be your type, but they're among the best of the era really, and definitely both in my top 10 JRPGs of all-time.
I already have Sould Reaver for Dreamcast and want to play it soon, if I like it, I guess Blood Omen is a good choice :)? SotN I haven't played yet, right, that's because I don't like the SNES Castlevanias all too much, they are too much slow action for me. Wild ARMS also seems to be an interesting recommendation, especially since you say it has similar puzzle style as Lufia. I'll have a look into it tomorrow!

marcincz

Yoshi you should definitely try MGS1 and Silent Hill if you haven't played yet. Medievil is great too. I heard good opinions about Fear Effect 1&2. If you have FF9, why not FF7 and 8?
MGS1, SH1 and FF8 are one of my favorites games of all time. Highly recommended.

Yoshi

I know and don't like MGS1. Regarding Silent Hill, does it have tank controls like Resident Evil? Also, FFVIII certainly is an option, but Final Fantasy games I burn out of quickly. After FFIX I plan on playing VI, then VII, then I can try VIII, if you say it's the best on PS1; I enjoy IX.

I keep eyeing Parasite Eve, and its sequel on PSN, but I never pull the trigger as I keep waiting for them to go on sale. Sony has trained me to wait.

I played the first one years ago, and remember liking it a great deal, especially since the combat system has similarities to my favorite game, Vagrant Story. I can't recall if I ever tried Parasite Eve 2.

They are on sale this week. $2.99 each.

Leynos

They are on sale this week. $2.99 each.

I bought them yesterday. I tried both games briefly, and now I'm questioning if I actually did play one, or the other years ago as I don't remember a thing that I've seen so far. Oh well, they seem fun enough.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I already have Sould Reaver for Dreamcast and want to play it soon, if I like it, I guess Blood Omen is a good choice :)? SotN I haven't played yet, right, that's because I don't like the SNES Castlevanias all too much, they are too much slow action for me. Wild ARMS also seems to be an interesting recommendation, especially since you say it has similar puzzle style as Lufia. I'll have a look into it tomorrow!
Oh lucky you, Dreamcast version of SR is the best one. Blood Omen was first, and it's more like the 2D Zeldas in term of gameplay. If you can endure the loading times it's very worth it for the story and atmosphere.

Wild ARMs is a classic. Amazing soundtrack too!

Yoshi you should definitely try MGS1 and Silent Hill if you haven't played yet. Medievil is great too. I heard good opinions about Fear Effect 1&2. If you have FF9, why not FF7 and 8?
MGS1, SH1 and FF8 are one of my favorites games of all time. Highly recommended.
He already said he doesn't like tank controls, SH1 has tank controls like RE. Then you recommend FF8 which is utter trash, and two games you haven't even played (hint: I have and they're not actually that good)? smh :p
FF7 is OK, but there are better RPGs on the PS1.

Oh lucky you, Dreamcast version of SR is the best one. Blood Omen was first, and it's more like the 2D Zeldas in term of gameplay. If you can endure the loading times it's very worth it for the story and atmosphere.

Wild ARMs is a classic. Amazing soundtrack too!

He already said he doesn't like tank controls, SH1 has tank controls like RE. Then you recommend FF8 which is utter trash, and two games you haven't even played (hint: I have and they're not actually that good)? smh :p
FF7 is OK, but there are better RPGs on the PS1.

you're seriously going to get on someone's case about their recommendations and then totally dismiss a game the person might like as "utter trash". wow.

anyone know if the buttons on the PSOne pack-in congraller (dualshock with rounded end plug) can swap buttons and d-pad with the standard OG digital PS1 pad?

anyone know if the buttons on the PSOne pack-in congraller (dualshock with rounded end plug) can swap buttons and d-pad with the standard OG digital PS1 pad?
I would think so, I opened a few of the original d-pad only and dualshocks back in the day and you could swap the X,O, etc. buttons. I've never opened the PSOne controllers, but I'm guessing they're the same on the face buttons.

marcincz

Turns out Yoshi isn't a big FF fan, so, so much for that. I still don't get why someone would recommend a game they haven't even played, though.

Relax man. I wrote that I heard good opinions about FE. For you FE isn't good and FF8 is a trash. That's great. Congratulations.

televator

Its a sad day when hearing someone doesnt like tank controls... So many great games just out the window for them. Damn. Not passing judgment of the person. Its just damn sad they cant play these wonderful games.

Yoshi

Its a sad day when hearing someone doesnt like tank controls... So many great games just out the window for them. Damn. Not passing judgment of the person. Its just damn sad they cant play these wonderful games.

Yeah, I'd love to be more flexible in that regard, but everything that doesn't feel 100% direct and responsive to me is instantly destroying my enjoyment :(.

ScOULaris

I'll tell you what: I'm in full PS1 nostalgia mode right now with my newly purchased Vita slim and growing library of PS1 classics. What a great way to play these classics.

AlanOC91

So my collection has slowly been growing over time and I've started knocking off some of the more expensive PAL games on my last but there is still much more to go. Some PS1 games really aren't that cheap! Here are some of the more prestigious games I've picked up over the past few months.

One of my greatest finds was finding another copy of Digimon World for €3 in one of my local Cash Encounter pawn shops and selling it for 10 times that a few days later.

What's next for me now are these:
-Tombi 1+2
-Clock Tower
-Digimon World 2003
-Alundra 1+2
-Castlevania Symphony of the Night

5THoOzf.jpg

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
What the... the PAL cover for Suikoden is the original Japanese art?? EU > NA confirmed :(

On the other hand, that BoF III PAL cover is absolute rubbish. The NA one was generic but at least not eye-gougingly bad like this one, haha.

What the... the PAL cover for Suikoden is the original Japanese art?? EU > NA confirmed :(

On the other hand, that BoF III PAL cover is absolute rubbish. The NA one was generic but at least not eye-gougingly bad like this one, haha.
The PAL Suikoden 2 fixes some glitches from the NA VER as well.

entremet

People, go vote for your favourite 5th gen games if you haven't done so already! The lack of participation is mildly troubling to me. xD

I hate the requirement to add text to your choices. I just want to make a list be done with it.

It's the reason I avoid most voting threads. Too lazy.

Not everything deserves reading or deserves to be read. I get the premise, to engender discussion. But I've discussed gen 5 ad nauseam already.

I just frankly can't make a list like that. I mean, I could go through and list the games that I think are best, or I could go through and list the games I've enjoyed the most over the years, or list the games I'm enjoying most at that specific time. Unfortunately none of those things really appeal to me as an exercise, so I don't even get to the discussion part lol.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I hate the requirement to add text to your choices. I just want to make a list be done with it.

It's the reason I avoid most voting threads. Too lazy.

Not everything deserves reading or deserves to be read. I get the premise, to engender discussion. But I've discussed gen 5 ad nauseam already.
You need to make one comment on one item, that's the only requirement. Geez...

Anyone played Strider 2? Curious if there are any impressions on it and if it's worth picking up. Online reviews seem to be mixed to good, but it's apparently short. Is it worth picking up?

Anyone played Strider 2? Curious if there are any impressions on it and if it's worth picking up. Online reviews seem to be mixed to good, but it's apparently short. Is it worth picking up?

It's pretty fun. I never liked to play on any difficult mode, just turned everything to easy and ran through slashing everything. Always had a good time with it, and yeah it's short, you could beat it in an evening no problem unless you want to make it hard.

Ebay price seems kinda dumb but it's $5 on PSN.

Just remember Strider 1 disc is Strider 2, and Strider 2 disc is Strider 1. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's pretty fun. I never liked to play on any difficult mode, just turned everything to easy and ran through slashing everything. Always had a good time with it, and yeah it's short, you could beat it in an evening no problem unless you want to make it hard.

Just remember Strider 1 disc is Strider 2, and Strider 2 disc is Strider 1. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

lol

they fixed that on the PSN release too.

Thanks for the info.

Yea, prices are kinda high for a physical copy, but I'd really like to own it physically. I was able to get it for a bit cheaper than eBay so I went ahead and snagged it. Thanks again.

Does anyone know if the arcade version of Strider 2 was 60fps?

I want to say no. But I'm not sure without sitting in front of it again. The slowdown is missing, but I'm pretty sure both games run at 30fps. Even the horrible load times are present between level sections in the arcade version.

It's a great arcade game. Longer than the original Strider arcade title. The complaints come from credit feeders who continue their way through the game without properly learning the mechanics to get good at it.

Treat it like a shmup and never continue when you die. It will become one of the most satisfying hack n' slash action platformers you have ever played.

Top Bottom