• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Teknoman

I see Skullmonkeys missing from that list!
Otherwise solid collection/list, don't think it lacks any other essentials. ^^ Maybe Soul Blade, Rayman and Adventures of Lomax? Or the Arc the Lad games? Though I never played any but I heard good things about them.

Kudos for having Blood Omen. <3

Im kinda salty whenever I see Skullmonkeys. I got stuck with a copy long ago that has bad music skipping the further you get in the game / bonus stage music. The guy on Ebay vanished from Earth too.

Khaz

this should be here in 3 weeks via japanese slow boat:

haotERV.jpg

Not even remotely worth the $130 I paid, but I have weird fascination with Time Gal and I hear Ninja Hayate is good too.

I'm looking for this one too, but no way I'm going to pay the asking prices. I'll stick with the Mega CD version.

Just picked up the Double Shooting disc with Raycrisis and Raystorm for 25$ shipped. Pretty happy with that deal.
this should be here in 3 weeks via japanese slow boat:

http://i.imgur.com/haotERV.jpg [ /img]

Not even remotely worth the $130 I paid, but I have weird fascination with Time Gal and I hear Ninja Hayate is good too.[/QUOTE]

I got a kick out of your post in the drunk purchases thread, at least.

IrishNinja

its funny that i remember giving my roommate shit for supporting that namco museum line - thought it was such an obvious moneygrab, since they damn well could've put em on one disc, i thought - but now i kinda wanna play some of em

What are some of your guys favorite arcade ports for this system? Been replaying Point Blank recently.

there's a few, but Tekken 3 was a big moment for me - i was a huge fan of 2, and this felt like we were finally catching the arcades. i mean, extra characters & entire game modes, too!

jonno394

Potential starter UK collector Looking to get a playstation that can play UK/usa/jpn games. What's my best option?

Modified UK console would likely be easier with regards to power and tv?

Potential starter UK collector Looking to get a playstation that can play UK/usa/jpn games. What's my best option?

modded PS2 would be my recommendation. Modded PS1 works too, obviously, but they tend to be less reliable.

DTL PS2s if you're looking for something official. Dunno how common they are over in PALand though

TEST PS2's are great for this, they're rare but often aren't outrageously expensive. Make sure you check what year it's from as some were coded before PAL/NTSC were implemented.

Recently I picked up Star Wars Rebel Assault 2 to scratch that SW itch. Cheesy as I remember. I also picked up the Hive, which I played on PC back in the day and is the same on rails game as SW, but joystick and mouse controls were not friendly. Much easier on psone pad. And last I got Descent Maximum. I played the hell out of The Descent series so it was nice to go back. The PC version never had colored lighting so that was always a nice addition. Frame rate is a bit weak in spots but I can live.

Not the most exciting games I know.

jonno394

I'm thinking of getting a slim ps2 and a mcboot memory card. That'll do the trick right?

edit - apparently not as it will only allow backups of other regions to run, not official games :/

MikeMyers

there's a few, but Tekken 3 was a big moment for me - i was a huge fan of 2, and this felt like we were finally catching the arcades. i mean, extra characters & entire game modes, too!

I liked 2 as a game better, but 3 was quite the package. Tekken Ball, Tekken Force, hidden characters, etc.

Khaz

I'm thinking of getting a slim ps2 and a mcboot memory card. That'll do the trick right?

edit - apparently not as it will only allow backups of other regions to run, not official games :/

Well you could always copy your own game and stick it in the box.

I don't know why it is said that a modded PS1 is unreliable, but my PAL PSOne with the ONEchip I got from that seller on assembler-games works flawlessly. Maybe the problems are with the FAT (NTSC) Playstations and older chips?

Be careful with the slim PS2, it has a tendency to scratch disks pretty badly: the lens ribbon sticks out when the lens is far out and can destroy a game if it has data on the outside of the disc. You have to push the lens and fold the ribbon correctly for it to stop scratching.

Khaz

What are some of your guys favorite arcade ports for this system? Been replaying Point Blank recently.

Pang! is a lost gem.

It's Buster Bros collection in the US (the one to get because screw you 50Hz), and it contains all three games, arcade-perfect. The only way to play Pang! 3 too.

Buster_Bros._Screenshot.png

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I have a tons of PS1-consoles, and am in the process of getting rid of some of them. Any reason to keep the PSOne over the original?

D.Lo

I have a tons of PS1-consoles, and am in the process of getting rid of some of them. Any reason to keep the PSOne over the original?
It looks cool? Best looking Sony console ever IMO.

Also I can use my unmodded Japansese PSOne with a local power supply because power is external, no need for stepdowns etc.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
well, i have to turn my original upside-down to boot (worn) might be a good idea to keep a fresh one.

It looks cool? Best looking Sony console ever IMO.

Also I can use my unmodded Japansese PSOne with a local power supply because power is external, no need for stepdowns etc.

Right, I will of course keep one that plays disc flawlessly, and I agree the PSOne looks cool, so will probably be that one if nothing else separate them. Just wanted to know if there were anything else to consider, like them breaking less, having better sound or something like that.

Yeah my old gray PS1 started crapping out so I got myself a PSOne to replace it just over a year ago. No compaints. Obviously you lose the I/O ports tho; so PSIO is out of the question.

alf717

Any recommendations on where to get a good quality laser replacement? Is the popular choice still to use the PSone KSM-440BAM laser in 1001 units?

Timu

Just got Street Fighter Collection and Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha in the mail today to prepare for next month's Street Fighter month.

Fox Mulder

you can get it one of these!

ACC-ps1-sonyLCD-2__39443.1394693656.300.300.jpg

Seriusly, Think about getting one... The Official Sony PSone LCD screens are pretty awesome.

I've wanted one for awhile, but never got around to just buying one. I found a psone, and matching controller and multitap all separately. Wanted to find the screen in the wild too.

I don't know why, as I just play ps1 games on my ps2 to save space.

god i love compilations like this - how did i not know about this one? so cool!

I found out about them because i was being sad about my lack of gimmick and someone recommended that version. I am not familiar enough with sunsoft's library to know which all games in those collections are worth their salt.

alf717

Decided to take a PSone and source the laser assembly for my 1001 unit. Makes it a lot easier for me to setup for light gun games while using s-video. Did some testing the last few days and followed a few guides but I just couldn't get the original laser in the 1001 to play nice. The 101 laser makes the 1001 sound like a PS fresh out of the box and does a way better job reading discs. Those 440-BAM laser units are like magic. Only issue I have left with the 1001 is coil whine when the console is turned off. Much more noticeable when the shell is off.

Man, the ps1 version of Gimmick is rough. Butchered music, slowdown. may as well just play in a NES emulator.

I don't understand how a nes port could go so wrong.

alf717

Man, the ps1 version of Gimmick is rough. Butchered music, slowdown. may as well just play in a NES emulator.

I don't understand how a nes port could go so wrong.

The Rockman ports have a strange input lag to then. Some of the sounds in these game play a bit too loud as well. It isn't horrible but it is noticeable.

I was under the impression the music was the only meaningful difference. There's slowdown?

uh huh, you can see it on the very first screen of the game. this guy has a playthrough, it's the first game he plays. i trust his judgment fwiw:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKd86q_Js1Q

The Rockman ports have a strange input lag to then. Some of the sounds in these game play a bit too loud as well. It isn't horrible but it is noticeable.

apparently the psn versions played in HD are nigh unplayable. Maybe they're adding lag on top of lag haha

I had watched this before without audio. Yeah, definitely has some issues. Wonder if running the NES version on an emulator would be better. Can emulators even do gimmick with its custom sound chip or whatever the fuck?

I was wondering the same thing about the sound.

It should be fine in emulator. Aquas (guy who raced it in AGDQ) ran it on emu up until a few weeks ago.

Top Bottom