• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Burnout 3 IS compatible with Logitech Wheel

My friend just picked up the PS2 version and says it does work with his Logitech wheel. Hrm. That makes which version to get a toss up to me again....

ourumov

These are great news ! I was a bit afraid after seeing the demo not supporting it (weird since every other FF-enabled game supported FF on the demo too).

ourumov said:
These are great news ! I was a bit afraid after seeing the demo not supporting it (weird since every other FF-enabled game supported FF on the demo too).

if you guys are basing stuff off the demos, let us know in the future. ;)

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Well pimp slap me like a bitch! Isamu - 0wn3d

vince_16290.gif

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
In other news, I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to make 'custom' soundtracks in the PS2 version (by replacing the music files in the disk image)

I just picked the PS2 version up at lunch.

It definitely DOES SUPPORT the Logitech Wheel and it is progressive scan.

Brofist

Marconelly said:
In other news, I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to make 'custom' soundtracks in the PS2 version (by replacing the music files in the disk image)

Please share if it's possible

Marconelly said:

Since my stereo is in the same room as my computer and console, I just pop in custom CD and I'm good. SCEA has really dropped the ball on pushing the HDD's features to the third party developers. I'm hoping they're working on middleware tools, or if they've been created, push them to 3rd party devs.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It definitely DOES SUPPORT the Logitech Wheel and it is progressive scan.
To think how assy it would be to have what is essentially the best arcade racer ever made not support the wheel, when so many crappy ones support it...

Please share if it's possible
Oh absolutely, I'll start looking into this as soon as I get home. I just looked at the files this morning, and curiously enough, I could't even find any music files... but I looked only for about 10 seconds, as I was already being late. Those tracks can't be CDA, right? That would make the job too easy :p

Nah, they can't be CDA, they mix them with radio noise every time the music resumes after the crash and do other such things with the sound.

What I'll try to do first is see if BO3 uses the same audio format as other EA trax games. If it does, I'll just use the soundtrack from SSX Tricky, SSX3 or NBA street, etc. which are all much better. There's total of 4 songs on BO3 soundtrack that I find reasonably good - and for a while I was considering to disable all but Ramones' song, which in all honesty rocks to no end :p )

SCEA has really dropped the ball on pushing the HDD's features to the third party developers. I'm hoping they're working on middleware tools, or if they've been created, push them to 3rd party devs.
Couldn't agree more. Right now, HDLoader offers infinitely more value for the HDD than anything SCE has done. GT4 and GTA:SA might be their saving grace when it comes to HDD support, we'll see. One thing to consider, though - I wouldn't expect a custom soundtrack support in game like BO3 even if Sony was more open to support such things. Doing everything BO3 is doing AND decoding something like MP3 or ATRAC on a PS2 at the same time, seems nigh impossible.

Marconelly said:
To think how assy it would be to have what is essentially the best arcade racer ever made not support the wheel, when so many crappy ones support it...

I was pretty damn positive it would have it since the previous versions did, but some tard out there started a rumor that EA made them pull it out. Clearly, a non-necessary attempt at FUD.

Marconelly said:
Couldn't agree more. Right now, HDLoader offers infinitely more value for the HDD than anything SCE has done. GT4 and GTA:SA might be their saving grace when it comes to HDD support, we'll see. One thing to consider, though - I wouldn't expect a custom soundtrack support in game like BO3 even if Sony was more open to support such things. Doing everything BO3 is doing AND decoding something like MP3 or ATRAC on a PS2 at the same time, seems nigh impossible.

Well, if you think value is the ability for you to get lots of games for free, it is a great value. If it was just saving you the hassle of switching disks and getting better load times, I'm not sure the HD cost + HDloader is worth it (for me at least). Plus, it seems as if SCEA has already found a way to block the game if HSG:Fore! is any indication.

Finally, decoding MP3's takes so little time, it's almost negligible, so I doubt that would be the problem. The problem is <<<< 1% of people have an HDD, so why should developers even bother?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
If it was just saving you the hassle of switching disks and getting better load times, I'm not sure the HD cost + HDloader is worth it (for me at least). Plus, it seems as if SCEA has already found a way to block the game if HSG:Fore! is any indication.
Running games without switching the disks, and running them faster is a big enough deal to me, but considering that you aslo get to run all the homebrew software, such as emulators and audiovisual demos, makes it that much more appealing. Right now you can play NeoGeo CD games, such as Metal Slug 1 & 2, Lucasarts Adventures, Genesis, SNES, etc. all on an unmodded machine. How about playing Japanese and even European Imports, again on an unmodded machine? Euro version of Ico works just fine, and so does Japanese Metal Slug 3, Espgaluda, etc. Couple all that with fast load times, and you get the best 'peripherial' made so far for the PS2, IMO.

Btw. many SCEA games released pre-hdloader also don't work... Frequency, Amplitude, War of the Monsters, etc. It's not as much as finding the way (it's trivial) it's that developers apparently still don't bother, as evidenced by BO3.

The problem is <<<< 1% of people have an HDD
Sales of FFXI aren't that low... Then again I have no clue what number there would have to be, for a developer to bother supporting something.

RuGalz

It's got force feedback as well. Impact Time is implemented by using wheel to move left or right and if you want the equivalent of down left or down right just step on the break. It's pretty intuitive.

sonycowboy said:
Finally, decoding MP3's takes so little time, it's almost negligible, so I doubt that would be the problem. The problem is <<<< 1% of people have an HDD, so why should developers even bother?

I can't complain much cause I got my HDD for free, but it's only a save vault right now. You can say that it's only 1% of the userbase, but I'm pretty sure that the higher ups at SCEA want to see that number grow. For it to grow, there MUST be some support for the games, even if it is saving DIRECTLY onto the HDD. It's inexcusable, and puts a real sour note on a rather successful endeavor with Sony's other accessories.

And if developers don't want to waste any time with coding for the HDD, then they could use middleware from SCEA...

rastex

Banned
WasabiKing said:
And if developers don't want to waste any time with coding for the HDD, then they could use middleware from SCEA...

Wasabi, with your contacts I would've figured you'd know that Sony's middleware support [jon stewart] suuuuuucks [/jon stewart]

Agent X

Yes, I just got this game, and came here to post the news. (It's mentioned near the bottom of page 3 of the manual.) I'm glad others have noticed this. :)

Official support for the HDD on the PS2 is woefully lacking, but that's another story altogether.

rastex said:
Wasabi, with your contacts I would've figured you'd know that Sony's middleware support [jon stewart] suuuuuucks [/jon stewart]

;) - hi A.S.

It's just my hope that someone out there is reading, wondering "damn, this kid sounds like he's insane, and right at the same time, get that guy in our offices..."

But in all seriousness, I'm aware of it, and that's where the problem lies. There's no doubt that their hands are tied to SCEI. Problem with some multinational companies is the red tape involved.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
--------------------------------

isamu

Just to confirm, which specific wheel are you guys using? The original Driving Force from a few years ago? Or the newer 900 degree Driving Force Pro? Also can you give some impressions, as far how convincing the FF effects are? I mean, do they hold a candle to the effects in GT3? Or perhaps a Daytona USA cabinet?

RuGalz

I'm using the older wheel. Feedback is good. It's been a long while since I played GT3 so I don't know how to compare. But it's good IMO.

Top Bottom