• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3/Vita Store Death Thread. When do you think it will shut down?

What year will PS3/Vita store close?

• 2027 or later

Results are only viewable after voting.

Leonidas

AMD's Dogma: ARyzen (No Intel inside)
PSP Store
2021 (PS3/Vita Store was also going to close that year, before being spared)

Wii U/3DS Store:

Xbox 360 Store:

PS3/Vita Store:
????

I honestly wish they'd go ahead and announce it, so I can go ahead and buy a few things I've been holding out on. I hope they go out with a sale like Nintendo and Xbox did.

As I sit here charging my 6 PS3 controllers, I browsed the store, and I would buy a few things, but it'd suck if I bought now and then they announce a final sale... on the other hand it'd also suck if one of the games I want to buy gets delisted between now and when the store finally does close...

SHA

Idk, after backward compatibility, maybe 2029-30 or something like that, after running those games on Ps6.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I don’t get what the big plan is. Wild Arms, Legend of Dragoon, Jeanne D’Arc, and a few others were FREE to download from my PS5 because I bought them years ago. Will they keep honoring that type of thing when the legacy store shuts down?

StereoVsn

PSP Store
2021 (PS3/Vita Store was also going to close that year, before being spared)

Wii U/3DS Store:

Xbox 360 Store:

PS3/Vita Store:
????

I honestly wish they'd go ahead and announce it, so I can go ahead and buy a few things I've been holding out on. I hope they go out with a sale like Nintendo and Xbox did.

As I sit here charging my 6 PS3 controllers, I browsed the store, and I would buy a few things, but it'd suck if I bought now and then they announce a final sale... on the other hand it'd also suck if one of the games I want to buy gets delisted between now and when the store finally does close...
Unfortunately I think next year is it. Got all PS3 games I needed, downloaded and updated (or patch downloaded) and backed up.

It’s the same for Vita and SD card mod. I recommend people do the same, including PSP games. You can download on PS3 to transfer to Vita later even.

Edit: For PSP, I mean games that can be purchased for Vita play.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

After Sony threatened to close the PS3 store I just went ahead and bought everything I wanted so I don't regret it later when the store is actually closed. I still play on my PS3 regularly so I figured it would be worth it. Buying everything however was a major pain in the ass though. Sony has made it super convoluted to buy games and the store is slow and just awful to browse. Not to mention download speed is atrocious. I also discovered that a lot of games have been delisted as well, so grab what you can now because I don't think there will be any heads up from Sony or any publishers if a game gets taken off the platform. I'm glad I managed to secure every PS1 game that I wanted from the store. Many of those games have been purged and I sold my physical collection and PS1 console some time ago so it's nice to have all of those games digitally on PS3.

Last edited:

Audiophile

Shutting these stores down seems largely arbitrary to me. A relatively small amount of server space is being used (and the cost of that will reduce over time), there's only a small amount of people accessing it due to it being a legacy service and so bandwidth is probably minimal. They could just simplify the storefront into a barebones, straightforward list + search + basic categories + purchase history to minimise maintenance requirements.

Just retaining very basic access to this stuff would probably amount to a rounding error in PlayStation's overall costs.

Last edited:

Duchess

Sony's not shutting down the PS3 store, as they have PS3 emulation coming to PS5 later this year, remember? :)

After Sony threatened to close the PS3 store I just went ahead and bought everything I wanted so I don't regret it later when the store is actually closed. I still play on my PS3 regularly so I figured it would be worth it. Buying everything however was a major pain in the ass though. Sony has made it super convoluted to buy games and the store is slow and just awful to browse. Not to mention download speed is atrocious. I also discovered that a lot of games have been delisted as well, so grab what you can now because I don't think there will be any heads up from Sony or any publishers if a game gets taken off the platform. I'm glad I managed to secure every PS1 game that I wanted from the store. Many of those games have been purged and I sold my physical collection and PS1 console some time ago so it's nice to have all of those games digitally on PS3.
gotta laugh to keep from crying. i could only discover that some stuff was there by choosing the 'bundles' category, rather than 'ps3 games' category? granted, you can find everything individually by name, but, when you're just checking to see what all's available? it's ludicrously convoluted...

so, yeah - pore through each individual category. doesn't take all that long, &, imo, worth the effort (eg, i found remember me this way)...

Mr Hyde

gotta laugh to keep from crying. i could only discover that some stuff was there by choosing the 'bundles' category, rather than 'ps3 games' category? granted, you can find everything individually by name, but, when you're just checking to see what all's available? it's ludicrously convoluted...

so, yeah - pore through each individual category. doesn't take all that long, &, imo, worth the effort (eg, i found remember me this way)...

Yeah, I just searched for everything individually, because as you said browsing the different categories did not cut it. But I found a web page that makes it so much smoother. It's called PS Deal's, and there you can search for all the stuff you want on your phone or computer, and then when you know what you want, just hit up the store on the console and buy it. You can even buy gift cards and if you register, you can wishlist and get notifications on game sales. It's great for keeping track of the store.

Shutting these stores down seems largely arbitrary to me. A relatively small amount of server space is being used (and the cost of that will reduce over time), there's only a small amount of people accessing it due to it being a legacy service and so bandwidth is probably minimal. They could just simplify the storefront into a barebones, straightforward list + search + basic categories + purchase history to minimise maintenance requirements.

Just retaining very basic access to this stuff would probably amount to a rounding error in PlayStation's overall costs.

I think the main issue is that credit card security standards evolve over time... and updating to remain compliant costs enough to make it not worth the effort.

begotten

They can shut it down if they put all the shit on there on modern hardware and I get access to all my old stuff.

Kerotan

I reckon they'll wait until they get a PS3 emulator working on ps5 or 6 with a selection of games included with PS Premium and to buy separately.

I'm aware a potential closure is nearing so I'm prioritising my PS3 to platinum backlog.

Ratchet 1-3
Jak 3
GTA IV

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
We got rid of jim ryan but now that prick herman munster is in charge, I feel it will be 2025.

Last edited:
Top Bottom