• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

hoserx

Madden is actually pretty cool. Seems to run at 1080p (I am not certain but it looks very sharp), and the framerate is buttery smooth. Looks and plays great.

Outside some OS oddities and shitty checkpoints (or not saving of them) My Ps4 seems like its a good one. A little loud but inline with what the PS3 was at launch

Shrewder

Neo Member
The only thing I've done is pull the system out of the box. It really is a sexy unit. Everything else (games and accessories) is still sealed. I'm a bit nervous to find out if I will get hit with the "dud" bad luck, so I'm just following forums and Twitter. I'll install the hybrid HDD soon and see how things go from there.

I really do feel for all those who are having serious issues on this launch day. Many have vested time and money into this, so it's a bummer to go through any issues.

In Banderas name we pray. Amen.

Is anyone having weird drive sounds? It keeps starting and stopping when spinning the disc. It's like a whining sound?

Is it installing? hard to tell without a video..

The only thing I've done is pull the system out of the box. It really is a sexy unit. Everything else (games and accessories) is still sealed. I'm a bit nervous to find out if I will get hit with the "dud" bad luck, so I'm just following forums and Twitter. I'll install the hybrid HDD soon and see how things go from there.

I really do feel for all those who are having serious issues on this launch day. Many have vested time and money into this, so it's a bummer to go through any issues.

In Banderas name we pray. Amen.

Yeah I think everyone when they first boot up the system will take an intake of breath... then do the banderas meme (if all goes well)

TheExodu5

Banned
Setting up the internet connection again since it was failing to get an IP address. Now stuck on "Checking network environment..." and cancelling doesn't back out of it. sigh.

Pop

Yo I've been stuck at the Please Wait for 30 minutes now, wtf

Can't back out with the PS button or circle

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
It took a really, really long time for me to finally get my PSN account signed in. Doesn't matter anyway- PS4 PSN is down for maintenance and you won't really be able to do much of anything. I tried playing a bot match in CoD Ghosts and kept getting kicked back to the PS4 menu screen "due to system maintenance."

From the launch:

This was paused on the TV when I got home! Didn't notice this when I left to go get the system, lol.
uJkr7Cnl.jpg

Everything I got for launch.
JgXJjQel.jpg

The PS4 itself is smaller than I expected it to be and is surprisingly very light.
2XMCe9cl.jpg

As for the Gamestop launch, it was pretty uneventful. There were two weird European dudes laughing at something and trying to take pictures of everyone, but besides them there was only one crazy fanboy type raving about how amazing this was going to be and how remote play was going to be "amazing, son, amazing- imma play my PS4 all over town! They got that VITA TV in Japan man it must cost like crazy money but yo imma cop it!" Everyone else was pretty quiet. One of the clerks was pretty enthusiastic about everything and was asking people what games they got and what they were going to do. I think I made him feel bad when I responded with "go home, update the system, and go to sleep."

AmyS

Shit, reading through many of the posts in this thread now that so many have PS4 has me really worried about my PS4 which is currently unopened.

I'm not only afraid to go online with it for the update, I'm afraid to even turn it on....

I'm so very glad I decided to spend the extra $40 on the GS warranty, that's my only real piece of mind right now....

Aeroangel

Banned
You guys I got in! =D I had to restart my PlayStation and was able to log in no issue. Watching a live stream right now man this is awesome! I hope everyone with the HDMI issues or defective units gets it cleared up asap...

Absinthe

Do they allow streaming during MP? and if so, does anyone else feel like this is going to have a huge effect on players lagging?

The Lamp

Shit, reading through many of the posts in this thread now that so many have PS4 has me really worried about my PS4 which is currently unopened.

I'm not only afraid to go online with it for the update, I'm afraid to even turn it on....

I'm so very glad I decided to spend the extra $40 on the GS warranty, that's my only real piece of mind right now....

Well your console is also covered by the manufacturer's warranty...although it'd be a hassle to wait for your new PS4 to come in the mail.

Noi

I'm not sure if this has been noted, but you can actually take screenshots while using the Crunchyroll app. Haven't tested it on Netflix, but I can only assume you can do the same there too.

bonesquad

Sweet. Pre-ordering online paid off. For some reason Best Buy had online pre-orders go straight through, while in store pre-orders had to stand in some long line. It took me awhile to update and login. My connection has been spotty, but I'm in!

I feel I need another game than just NFS. I missed any deals, whatever. I'm just not sure which FPS I should get. Ghosts, BF4, or Killzone...

Shadownet

Banned
Even Netflix look so much better. I love it!

And btw there is a weird whining noise when the game start up. It last for like 1 second. A high pitch noise.

The amount of complaints in this thread had justified my decision to wait. I knew this would happen.

Empathy for those affected. I would be in tears if it were me.

Sallokin

This is what I got to see today at my base exchange in Japan. Not sure what this "production issues" stuff is all about. Ultra sad face!

UNCIhsM.jpg

Vire

Hey guys is it supposed to glow white? I'm nervous after the reports of white light of death?

Console seems to be functioning fine.

calder

Got home about an hour ago, damn does AC4 look good :D

Not gonna lie, I've never plugged an HDMI cable in more carefully or gently lol

Edit: my best buy had a few hundred preorders and 164 non-reserved consoles available. Apparently Walmart and GameStop nearby also had around a hundred non-reserved as well.

SRTtoZ

omg customizing "MyPlayer" in NBA2k14 is insane. The facial models are excellent, and you can even use a Harden beard, or a hipster mustache.

Gvaz

Banned
Also neat:

UPS' train derailed in kansas. Sooooo a lot a lot of shipments including ps4s are going to be delayed.

Top Bottom