• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Aeroangel

Banned
So overall a huge improvement over ps3 everything is just so much faster and snappier... it's not a painful waiting game when launching apps & games... downloading and installing all on it's own in the background is wonderful....

BUT WHY is the browser such crap?! I know the system is for gaming, but I just want a mediocre browser at least on such a powerful machine. I can't even view this thread without it telling me it's ran out of system memory... Really?!

Please give me a better browser Sony!!!!

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I'm on a damn beach in Mexico missing all the festivities of this launch while my PS4 is sitting in a box on my porch. Some one give me their impressions! Let me live vicariously through you!!

Ok Bruce, even though sitting on a beach in Mexico doesn't sound too bad.

The Dualshock 4 is the best controller I've held, period. I've been console gaming since Atari and DS4 being best feeling one is truthfact.

Remote play work flawlessly on my home network. I can't notice any lag whatsoever. Last night playing Resogun from my bed on the 3rd floor while the PS4 was in the basement was something magical. Remote play now is what remote play should have always been. It just works.

Downloads from the PSN were pretty crazy last night due to millions connecting to PSN but overall I feel like they are a bit faster for me. I'm connected over ethernet. Overall the store seems to be a bit more fluid. As does the OS in general, no more waiting 2 or 3 seconds for the XMB to show up while in a game, simple tap of the PS button and BOOM you're there.

Killzone SF looks amazing, Resogun is an absolute eye melting fun game. I haven't tested out any media features such as loading MP4s.

Let me know if there is something more specific you want to know.

AmyS

Alright, finally decided to setup PS4.

Mine is setup on a large table in front of my 1080p LED set. Not inside or on a shelf of any kind. It should have all the ventilation it needs. Was very careful to plug in HDMI connections and power connections IN ORDER. I decided NOT to connect to internet/PSN for now. Did initial system setup. Check.

DS4 feels great.

Only setting I wanted to see was that it was outputting in 1080p. Okay.

Inserted the Battlefield 4 disc. Installed the update that was on disc, but not the day one patch. System went through the process, auto reset. I held my breath as the system stayed powered down (or whatever mode it goes into) and soon enough it started back up. It installed what it needed to from BF4.

Played some BF4. SP of course. Awesome.

So far, so good.

Not planning to go online until I learn more from GAF.

Bacs

Neo Member
Slowly peel back the sticker, and take it out and play with it. Remember we are all 8 year old kids this week. What would 8 year old you do?

Cry because he was too short to reach the top of the shelf...and genetics weren't kind to him in the height department fourteen years later.

Zoc

My headphones are plugged into the ds4 now. What do you want to know?

The speakers for my home theater are currently BEHIND my couch, because there's no place to run the wires from the projector (also behind the couch) to the front of the room. If Blu Rays and DVDs have decent stereo audio from the controller, with no lag, it would be super-convenient for me.

Could you try playing a DVD with the controller jack headphones?

newsguy

I know this isn't something many will need to do, but it is an issue and I'd like to know if anyone else has experienced it. I have to use digital optical out for my audio since my receiver does not have hdmi. While playing NBA2K last night, with the optical output set as my main source for audio, the audio would crap out after a few minutes. Crap out ranges from stuttering, to skipping badly, to downright making scary noises. Also, this was not exclusive to the game. The audio would continue this way even after leaving the game and it affected the system's menu music and anything else that made sound. The only thing that solved this issue was switching to hdmi as my main audio source. At that point I would still get audio as pro logic thru the receiver and lose DD or DTS completely. This remedied the issue completely but obviously isn't the optimal quality. If anyone has experienced this or has read that there is a fix or a patch please let me know. Yes I know I need a newer receiver but spare me that for now gaf, thanks.

Ricker

Ok finally logged in but I asked not to post my real name and there it is,so I went to profile and now I have the spinning please wait again...going to take a break for now from PSN,obviously getting hammered and play Killzone or AC4.

Thoraxes

how can you tell? is there a pic?

I don't have a high enough definition camera to properly show it. I totally didn't understand the issue people were having till I actually saw it on mine.

It's hard to describe, but like, say you put a cup (HDMI Cable) in a cup holder (PS4 HDMI Port).
You tighten the tray to make sure your cup is snug in the receptacle.
With the "problem" your cup holder is too big and it doesn't fit and stay in the right way.

Megasoum

Banned
I've been stuck at the "Please Wait" screen after setting up the new PSN settings. I guess PSN is getting hamered right now. I can't even cancel out of it tho.

IrishNinja

first hard lock happened and i didn't know how to hard reset (really need to read this manual) so i unplugged it, which isn't wise & i dont want to do again...how to hard reset?

hopefully things are sorted soon, took forever this morning to get my girl's account set back up. thankfully i just grabbed the Lost Worlds demo so i was able to multitask, heh.

Ok finally logged in but I asked not to post my real name and there it is,so I went to profile and now I have the spinning please wait again...going to take a break for now from PSN,obviously getting hammered and play Killzone or AC4.

Oh good to know I can back out and go play single player while they sort out the psn issues.

Raoh

Picked mine up this morning at the Gamestop in NYC, 30 Rockefeller Center. Walked in with no issues, paid off my pre order and picked up a new vita memory card. Already had knack, killzone, second controller and camera.

After I paid, the line of people started to arrive. I figured it would be the best place to pre order since its walking distance from work but also because the plaza is usually closed or really only frequented by tourist.

Everything is going well so far, camera and controller setup, waiting for the setup to complete post PSN Sign In.. Guess PSN is getting hammered so it may be a while.

Guess I can ... play my PS3 while I wait and hand out on Gaf.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.

From my understanding the Real Name that you see on the top of the screen is just there for you. Externally you will still show up as XxxXpsnnameXxx420

The speakers for my home theater are currently BEHIND my couch, because there's no place to run the wires from the projector (also behind the couch) to the front of the room. If Blu Rays and DVDs have decent stereo audio from the controller, with no lag, it would be super-convenient for me.

Could you try playing a DVD with the controller jack headphones?

The audio is good enough , it wont blow you away but its more than decent. Again the audio will not be very loud depending on the ohm's of the headphones your using. I am using 32 ohm ATH AD700s.

And this is DVD only, I dont have any bluray disks to try out.

Also when playing a dvd I cannot change volume or access any settings.

Oh shiiit.. Tell me more. I'm dying for impressions.

Well, I'm not really a graphics know it all, I just know it looked way better. I played the PS3 beta and thought it was so ugly that I quit playing and deleted it. When I played it on PS4 last night it was like a high end PC game by comparison. I was floored.

Has anyone figured out where in the PSN store you go to see the things you've bought/downloaded before?

I put a bunch off codes in the online web store for preorder goodies and I don't know if they downloaded automatically or if I need to do it. Thanks.

DogMeat77

Picked up my PS4 from the UPS will call center so I didn't have to wait. I've got everything setup. Started downloads for Resogun, Contrast, all of the free-to-play games, and now it is time to play some games in this order:

Killzone
NBA2K14
Resogun
Need for Speed
AC4 Black Flag
Contrast
Battlefield

My body is ready. Thank you based Cerny.

Top Bottom