• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Has anyone played AC4 yet? Does it require a connection to PSN?

Luckily I have the firmware update on a USB stick for when I get my console tonight.

S¡mon

Banned
Backstory: Long time ago I hooked up this chick with my extra Armin Van Buuren ticket through Facebook. Fast forward to today; PS4 launch day. I didn't pre-order a PS4 cause I wasn't planning on getting one at launch initially. However, the hype got to me and I drove to multiple stores just to have them tell me that they were all accounted for. So I put up a facebook post as well for the hell of it. 10 minutes later, the same chick hits me up and tells me that her boyfriend picked up an extra PS4 and he'll sell it to me. I immediately take out $450 cash and go meet them up for the exchange.

The exchange: I meet them with cash in hand and hand $450 to him. He counts it, smiles and says "I'll tell you what. You made our night a while back with that free Armin ticket so I'll sell you this PS4 for $200." At this point my mind goes blank for a second and I'm thinking he's fucking with me. He repeats the same thing again and it sinks in a bit further. At this point, I start to tear up a bit, tell them they're gonna make a grown ass man cry and bear hug the living hell out of both of them. I held them for like 15 good seconds to the point of awkwardness because this shit left me completely flabbergast. He hands me the rest of the money and only takes $200. I kept thanking them afterwards haha.

Finally we parted ways, me with my brand spanking new PS4 in hand. Drove home with the biggest fucking smile on my face and still misty eyed. So here I am, back at home with a brand new PS4 that I got for $200 cash. I'm still in disbelief a bit and can't wait till I swap the drive with my spare SSD at hand and set this baby up. What a great day it has been so far. An act of kindness goes a long way and I'll never forget this day. Hope you guys are enjoying your PS4s as well. :)
Woah, nice story and really nice of them to basically give you a $200 discount. :D

AmyS

Someone post the correct link for the 307 MB update. I might try to download it on my laptop to USB drive, and use that.

suikodan

I would have preferred waiting in line for a PS4 rather than waiting for PSN to connect.

Fortunately, I was lucky to get the last copies of BF4 and COD at my local store where we could "upgrade" physically our PS3 copies.

revotron

Backstory: Long time ago I hooked up this chick with my extra Armin Van Buuren ticket through Facebook. Fast forward to today; PS4 launch day. I didn't pre-order a PS4 cause I wasn't planning on getting one at launch initially. However, the hype got to me and I drove to multiple stores just to have them tell me that they were all accounted for. So I put up a facebook post as well for the hell of it. 10 minutes later, the same chick hits me up and tells me that her boyfriend picked up an extra PS4 and he'll sell it to me. I immediately take out $450 cash and go meet them up for the exchange.

The exchange: I meet them with cash in hand and hand $450 to him. He counts it, smiles and says "I'll tell you what. You made our night a while back with that free Armin ticket so I'll sell you this PS4 for $200." At this point my mind goes blank for a second and I'm thinking he's fucking with me. He repeats the same thing again and it sinks in a bit further. At this point, I start to tear up a bit, tell them they're gonna make a grown ass man cry and bear hug the living hell out of both of them. I held them for like 15 good seconds to the point of awkwardness because this shit left me completely flabbergast. He hands me the rest of the money and only takes $200. I kept thanking them afterwards haha.

Finally we parted ways, me with my brand spanking new PS4 in hand. Drove home with the biggest fucking smile on my face and still misty eyed. So here I am, back at home with a brand new PS4 that I got for $200 cash. I'm still in disbelief a bit and can't wait till I swap the drive with my spare SSD at hand and set this baby up. What a great day it has been so far. An act of kindness goes a long way and I'll never forget this day. Hope you guys are enjoying your PS4s as well. :)

This is awesome.

Dre3001

So is everyone using the HDMI cable that came with the PS4 or rather going with a third party cable?

I saw a post on Twitter saying the cable provided with the system is causing damage to the HDMI port on the system and wanted to know if anyone had experienced this issue.

Just to make sure, the size of the update is 307 MB. And on the USB it goes PS4->UPDATE-> (file)?

Just update normally through the system, its 300mb. The usb method is if you were swapping hard drives and the download is closer to 800mb.

Just ran a test of the ps4 browser on html5test. Score of 358. To compare with other gaming browsers, the ps3 scored 81, xbox 360 scored 129, ps vita scores 310 and the wii u scores 330

Hanmik

Crap. Can't view this thread without seeing an error message saying not enough memory. Haven't even tried youtube or anything that was disappointing enough on it's own.

hmmm.. I will try to contact Cerny, and see if he can fit some more RAM into the system then..

So is everyone using the HDMI cable that came with the PS4 or rather going with a third party cable?

I saw a post on Twitter saying the cable provided with the system is causing damage to the HDMI port on the system and wanted to know if anyone had experienced this issue.

Went and bought my own cable yesterday just to be safe, not taking that risk and having to week an entire week for repair.

Darkone

For those who tried the remote play with the Vita, are the graphics the same?
is there any downscale when you play on the Vita?

X-Frame

I'm sure this has been answered already, but is there any difference in function but especially quality in plugging headphones directly into the DS4 compared to the TV or Receiver?

I assume the latter will be of higher quality, but just wanted to ask. Thanks!

Raoh

I just connected my PSN profile, if your having long wait times, back out and restart the connection.

A fresh psn sync request helped move things along. At least in my mind they did.

My first party cable slid in nice and snug. I haven't noticed a issue yet but I've probably had my unit for15 minutes now. I'm just waiting to get on PSN.

I'm surprised Ron Jeremy didn't show up in his pick-up truck and take the girl and the PS4 away with him.

Enjoy your PS4.

Lol no it Looks terribly cheap. Used my own.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Crap. Can't view this thread without seeing an error message saying not enough memory. Haven't even tried youtube or anything that was disappointing enough on it's own.
really? I can view this thread on PS3 no problem & that scored 80 vs the PS4's 358, that makes no sense.

Aeroangel

Banned
How is the PS Store?

Extremely fast & snappy! Looks basically the same as the one on PS3, but it isn't sluggish at all. You can easily download your games & apps without watching an install screen, and having to click on "download in background". You hit download the screen goes blank for a second, then you see the status bar underneath the title, and you can back right out immediately and do whatever else you feel like doing.

It also installs the games & apps on it's own now!

we're starting to get into unacceptable territory regarding PSN

I know console launches are rough, but not even being able to log into the network is pretty unacceptable

The download, update, and instal process is all so seamless, smooth and quick. You day one owners are in for a treat.
And to think its only going to get better from here

Ryoohki360

Neo Member
Well, I'm not really a graphics know it all, I just know it looked way better. I played the PS3 beta and thought it was so ugly that I quit playing and deleted it. When I played it on PS4 last night it was like a high end PC game by comparison. I was floored.

It use a combo a Ultra and High setting with FXAA and no MSAA. So off course it will look better than PS3 version :) But that game isn't really demanding in MP, so a off the self less than 200$ videocard will grant you about the same performance..

KaOTiK

Banned
Anyone else not being able to log into the PSN currently? I've gotten the message it is under maintenance and now it just says Please wait as I try again. I expected this, but just want to make sure it isn't something on my end lol.

Aeroangel

Banned
Anyone else not being able to log into the PSN currently? I've gotten the message it is under maintenance and now it just says Please wait as I try again. I expected this, but just want to make sure it isn't something on my end lol.

I've been ignoring that message all night. Just keep trying to log in, and if it gets stuck restart the system. This morning I haven't encountered the maintenance problem or any issues logging in.

I just connected my PSN profile, if your having long wait times, back out and restart the connection.

A fresh psn sync request helped move things along. At least in my mind they did.

could someone explain how I do a 'fresh psn sync request' ?

(what steps starting from getting out of the please wait screen), thanks

ckohler

This happened to me last night. Got to a Please Wait... Screen after doing the privacy stuff. Eventually I tried pressing Circle to back out but it wouldn't work.

Then I discovered I could hold down the PS button and return to home Screen. I did that. Then I tried logging in to PSN a second time and after a little effort it worked. I'v not had a single problem logging in since.

suikodan

For the "Please Wait" PSN issue. I found this at the PS Community forums (Credits to Kikoshi)

1. Hold the Home button and turn off the PS4.
2.Turn it back on and you can skip this part.
3. Go to Settings and factory restore the settings, don't confuse this with Formating. Just restore its settings.
4. Enter everything again and things should work perfectly for you know

Worked for me.

Does anyone who has NBA 2k14 on PS4 know how the historical teams look. I believe the current teams use facial capture means for their players modeling, so wondering if Jordan/Byrd etc. are gonna look deficient in comparison.

Top Bottom