• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Ricker

So wait I have to use my real name???

can i switch the real name that shows up

to anything I want?, I dont use facebook only

Twitter

Yeah you can change later but I think your real name will show just for you if you said that you dont want to use it online...others will see your PSN ID...anyway I changed everything to my PSN ID now and it works....just use 1 letter for family name or something like that hehe...

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Adding some day 1 GAF to my FL..

Won't you be my neighbor?
b61Vudp.jpg

Oh shit Gary Whitta's PS4 is broken.
Well I don't know if it's broken yet. I can get into safe mode so video is fine. And I can hear audio when I start normally, just no video. Trying to update the firmware via USB but it won't recognize my drive (FAT-32). Everything is in the correct file structure as far as I can tell.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
PSN is getting hammered. Try downloading it from the Playstation website. Format a USB drive to FAT32. Create a folder named "PS4" with a folder inside named "UPDATE" and download the update file to it.

Turn off the PS4, plug in the USB, and then hold down the power button for 7 seconds, and it'll boot into safe mode.
Also, some USB drives don't work I tried a microcenter one and it didn't work but I used a Sandisk one and it did. Seems some usbs aren't recognized.
Well I don't know if it's broken yet. I can get into safe mode so video is fine. And I can hear audio when I start normally, just no video. Trying to update the firmware via USB but it won't recognize my drive (FAT-32). Everything is in the correct file structure as far as I can tell.
See above man!

bob page

Did you try reformatting the USB drive (using the diskpart method)?

I know my PS3 doesn't detect USB drives that I previously used for installing Windows, storing 360 saves, etc because it messes with the filesystem. You have to manually wipe it & recreate the partition on some drives.

Ok. Now yours does look like it has a piece of metal in it, zero doubt. That is a different HDMI port completely. Compare your port to this one posted by another GAF user, professor_t.

You notice the difference on the bottom of the port in the direct middle?

Nothing looks wrong with my HDMI port i don't see any bent metal are anything...I don't want to bash Sony but I think they launched too early...Rushing units to meet demand....*sigh* This just bombed out my whole day/weekend...I took 4 freaking days off work for this...

Ask again for new page, anyone have suggestions on what to use for a simple in ear headset that plugs into the controller? I have headphones with a built in mic that came with my phone would that work?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Ok. Now yours does look like it has a piece of metal in it, zero doubt. That is a different HDMI port completely. Compare your port to this one posted by another GAF user, professor_t.

You notice the difference on the bottom of the port in the direct middle?
Yeah, it looks like two totally different types of HDMI ports of something? What's up with the metal thing in the middle of the top picture? Is it supposed to be there?

graywolf323

that is odd, hope you get it fixed soon Gary :(

StoopKid

I thought mine bricked doing the update. But it just restarted twice.

Haven't booted up my PS4 yet, but quick question, when you put a disc in and it automatically starts installing, can I exit out to the dashboard or does it stop installing? I'd like to let it fully install before playing.

todahawk

Patch started downloading in the background (unbeknownst to me) the second I setup wi-fi... by the time I clicked on PSN to go online it only had 4 minutes left to go.

Absolutely sexy hardware... the whole thing, even the setup just screams awesome.

taoofjord

Well, I've been playing around in the OS and have played some Killzone and Resogun. I'm in love. The controller feels fantastic, the OS looks great and is snappy (and the feature list will only grow with time) and both Killzone and Resogun are a lot of fun for launch titles. I'm looking forward to trying the rest of the launch games I grabbed but regardless the PS4 as a console is fantastic.

Nothing looks wrong with my HDMI port i don't see any bent metal are anything...I don't want to bash Sony but I think they launched too early...Rushing units to meet demand....*sigh* This just bombed out my whole day/weekend...I took 4 freaking days off work for this...

Your port looks completely different than the one I posted by professor_t.

Again, your port:

His port:

Those ports look completely different. Do you see the small piece of metal that is sticking up from the bottom of your port, directly in the middle?

Derrick01

Banned
I'm starting to get a little nervous now since we're approaching 3pm and UPS hasn't come yet. I don't usually get UPS deliveries past 4...

I was on hold with Sony support for 1 hour with my controller issue and they just disconnected the call. Then I was on hold with their online chat for another 15 minutes and right when it was my turn they said "Nobody is available to help you. Good bye". Fuck them!

Haven't booted up my PS4 yet, but quick question, when you put a disc in and it automatically starts installing, can I exit out to the dashboard or does it stop installing? I'd like to let it fully install before playing.

Machine multitasks really well. I put in Killzone and it started installing right away. Went into the store started downloads, and played Resogun while it was still installing. Nice.

Another cool thing was when I started Warframe it had an update and I could back out and do other stuff (excluding other games) while it downloaded that.

Guymelef

To me this sounds like some assumptions from EA, but...
https://help.ea.com/article/sony-playstation-4-update-1-5-instability

ONY PLAYSTATION 4 UPDATE 1.5 INSTABILITY

Sony has released a firmware update for the PlayStation 4 that is required for many features on the console. However, this update also results in stability issues while playing games on the system.

This affects all games on the PS4, including EA titles, causing crashing/freezing and non-responsive connections between the player's console and their TV Screen.

Unfortunately since it's an issue with Sony's firmware, it requires a new update to fix it. Sony is working to resolve the issue as quickly as they can. They will update their System Update page as new versions are made available, and we will keep this page updated as we find out more.

kaos424

Loving the PS4 so far. Only a couple things that bother me. Anyone else find the Power/Eject "buttons" to be weird and difficult to use? I'm also having an issue where I can be doing something and I get kicked back to the main screen. I have read of others having that issue though. Also Battlefield 4 would not play earlier, kept crashing and getting an error every time I tried to play. I've got it to work since but seems hit or miss at the moment.

Anyone else have their tv screen go completely green and flash a bit when you start up the PS4 or come back from standby mode? Not sure if this is normal or not.

...dude. There is a giant metal piece at the bottom.

What do you mean, there's nothing wrong?

Telaso

Banned
Went and picked up mine this morning and brought it back to work. Bunch of people made me hook it up in a conference room and play AC4 for a bit. I totally died in a stupid way during it too ><

Does anyone have a detailed video on how to get the HDMI to work on the PS4....I'm so fucking angry....

Are you sure it's HDMI though? I think just because Kotaku had it, it's become the scapegoat, but having no video output could be a great number of things.

Sucks you got a defect though. If I were you I'd start the return process ASAP.

MC_Hify

So, is there not a download list like there is on PS3? I entered my AC4 DLC codes via the web, but there's seemingly no way to actually download them when I go into the PS4's store. I tried adding them to the download queue via the web, but it's not downloading them and I can't find where DLC is stored in the system's menus.

I have the same problem, I was entering my Killzone preorder dlc code and it authenticated but then it immediately gave me an error and I never got to download the dlc. And with no download list I can't download it. Even if I could it would also mean I could never switch harddrives because I could never download it again. This pretty much removes any incentive I have for preordering PS4 games.

Damn you Boyes!

Top Bottom