• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
There was a ton of packing inside my box.

Oh, cool I was wondering about this and hoping that amazon didn't just throw it in comically large box like they sometimes do for other small things I order lol

I use those air bubbles to scare my dog and wife, good times.

The new PSN is godlike. Very impressed. Downloaded Knack took around 10-15min to download and install the playgo portion. Amazing.

If you're going digital be prepared to have online at least 4-5 hours depending on your connection. The background download says i have over 3hrs left to download. So i assume i wouldn't be able to play offline for awhile.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
This is pretty disappointing that a free indy game is the best at launch. I'm just gonna open NBA 2K14 and exchange Killzone
You're disappointed that a free game is really good because it's an indie game...?

So on the PSN Store (accessed from within the PS4) I've just found
  • PlayStation Protection Plan PS4 Accidental Damage 36 Months, 59.99$
  • PlayStation Protection Plan PS4 Non-Accidental Damage 36 Months, 49.99$
Does the former include the latter ? If I buy the 59.99$ does it also cover Non-Accidental Damage and so I don't have to buy the 49.99$ one ?

How does one cause accidental damage to a home console? There's a discoloured outline on my shelf where my cable box sits because it hasn't moved in 3 years :)

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I don't get the complaints about the UI. To me they somehow managed to upgrade the already perfect XMB. It's better in every way imo.

KalBalboa

Banned
Kind of in love with this system now. I figured out why my codes weren't redeeming: they won't stack. I need to redeem them once my Plus account expires in five days.

Can anyone tell me how to delete screen caps I've made on the PS4?

Twio

Is the PS4 icon (icon shown when playing a game) the same as the PS3 icon when viewed on the PS3?

Also, four more hours for me, T_T

LTWood12

If I start downloading nba2k14 now, any chance it'd be done in 5 hours? I get 10mb down and it's a 41gb game.

Just wondering what people are experiencing as far as retail game downloads

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Oh, cool I was wondering about this and hoping that amazon didn't just throw it in comically large box like they sometimes do for other small things I order lol

I use those air bubbles to scare my dog and wife, good times.

Well, it was a massive box, but 2/3 of it was the air pocket stuff.

Xenon

Wow I can't believe how much I love Resogun. I had zero interest in it but it's such an addicting fun game.

DC UO on the other hand is horrible.

Got my PS4 hooked up, all is well. Updating now. Only thing I'm noticing that might be a little "off" is that when the PS4 is cycling its boot/rebooting, there's a very audible click when it first comes on, sounds like the power supply flicking on. Anyone else getting this? Normal?

Requoting myself to see if this is normal or not. Does anyone else notice the system audibly clicks when its given power? Clicks louder than the PS3. Or is my power supply wonky?

graywolf323

Got everything set up smoothly - only issues are PSN is still getting hammered so a lot of 'Please wait...' but that's fine, whatever.

BZIlcLqCAAE6m3k.jpg

are you accepting friend requests? trying to build up my friends list for if I actually tackle Killzone coop/mp

lucius

I had to download and install 1.50 from USB, now things seem to be running good. So I guess that 30 day Plus Trial doesn't stack?

The $10 PSN credit worked, but I keep getting an error on the Plus trial.

I don't like retro shooters and the fact it's the best game is a huge indictment on the launch lineup IMO

Um, subjectivity and all. It is not going to be the best game at launch for everyone. I will enjoy it but it surely will not hold my attention. Killzone, BF4, Knack (Still unsure if I want to keep this), etc. are the games that I'm looking forward to.

I really like, its just so quick to jump from game to app, to browser to settings, seamlessly.

I agree, and what else do we need really? At a certain point, OS features may take resources from game performance, and that would be a huge no-no on a fixed hardware platform like a gaming console.

What it does, it does great. If they can improve it, that's cool, but right now I don't feel as though it's limited in any way as I can change virtually every setting while in game, and switch between apps seamlessly. It's awesome.

Samyy

Requoting myself to see if this is normal or not. Does anyone else notice the system audibly clicks when its given power? Clicks louder than the PS3. Or is my power supply wonky?

Mine did it a few times but has stopped doing it since, completely quiet - even with discs in :/

Dug

Banned
Is anyone else having the problem of not being able to install China Rising for BF4? I downloaded it but whenever I try to install it just says "Cannot Install".

So i started download AC4. I got a notification that it was ready to install. I click it and now it says installing application with the loading circle next to it. Is that normal? Should i see a progress bar or something?

ckohler

Trying to sign into psn and its stuck on "please wait"....

Horrible Sony

This seems like more of a software issue than a network issue because once you get your system logged in correctly, it seems to never have that issue again. That's been my experience. Just the initial setup is wonky.

Beant

Mine worked great. Phew. Remote play works awesome on direct connection for me. (Plenty of range to reach bathroom!)

Amazon.

Why am I not surprised that you do not have the mysterious bent pin and/or metal piece. Can you post a picture of the HDMI port please. Not doubting you, I'm doubting Sony. I find it to be rather hard to believe that a bent HDMI pin and/or metal piece in the HDMI port would make it past QA. Does your HDMI cable plug all the way in?

Best I could get with my phone and shitty picture taking skills.

Mononoke

Banned
Personally I think it looks fine. A nice step up from PS3 while not being too bloated.

I actually love the UI. I think it's really smooth, and nice to look at it. I'm just in awe of how seamless this all is. I was in disbelief at how quickly the games download from the disc (makes my worry about the big game size a non-issue). I mean, yeah space still is an issue. But if you can add and delete memory that fast...

And moving between menus on this UI + downloading is all fantastic. The only thing I don't love so far, is I kind of find the update system confusing. As I said a page back, so far for me it's: Insert Disc and download. I'm told I need to update. So I QUIT the application. Then re-open it, and the update installs.

Why do I have to do this? Unless I'm doing it wrong, the update should happen in the game itself IMO. Or at least it should give you the option to exit the application and go straight to the update.

So i started download AC4. I got a notification that it was ready to install. I click it and now it says installing application with the loading circle next to it. Is that normal? Should i see a progress bar or something?
I don't think play while downloading works for many games yet for some reason. Back out and let it complete.

Top Bottom