• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Izayoi

Banned
Does anyone have the inFamous presenter gif where he talks about his mom being attacked with a knife when he was five?. I teared up in laughter.

edit: Found it:

iEZUXaR629nfL.gif
Probably one of my favorite GIFs of all time, right up there with the Conan "Oprah Bees" one.

doby

Europeans have it lucky... us Americans have to BETA test the new system. :(

And we get official accessories too :) double win.

I'm actually not too bummed about getting it 2 weeks later, the (probable) cluster-fuck US launch will keep me entertained until then.

JohngPR

Toys R Us sent me an email saying they are processing my order (Preordered Knack for 20% off with that one coupon from a month or two ago). Starting to feel like its almost here!

Mims

So who's going to jump right into a game after the patch and who's gonna fiddle with some options?

I'll be jumping into a game while its patching most likely starting with NFS: Rivals or Knack can't decide which to play first.

netguy503

So it won't work with the mic that comes with the ps4? :/

I guess it might. The mic that comes with the PS4 looks very thin and crappy though and has to be plugged into the controller at all times so I can imagine someone getting a hunchback trying to use it for long periods of time. Just seems uncomfortable and I said kinda crappy.

grkazan12

Posted this earlier, but didn't get any replies. Would love some help guys.

I'm torn on how I'm going to purchase my launch games. I want to go all digital for this gen, but with them being launch games that I might not play way down the line, them being 40GB, and the uncertain state of the network that day, I'm contemplating on buying them physically. Then again, it would be cool to have them in my library so I can revisit them immediately.

The 2 plus 1 deal that Target is having next week sounds too good to pass up.

So, help me out here gaf, digital or physical?

jayu26

I'm torn on how I'm going to purchase my launch games. I want to go all digital for this gen, but with them being launch games that I might not play way down the line, them being 40GB, and the uncertain state of the network that day, I'm contemplating on buying them physically. Then again, it would be cool to have them in my library so I can revisit them immediately.

For now at least go with physical...you already know the reason why. Also, don't you want this box with that awesome box art on your shelf?

Majmun

Gonna have to wait until the end of the month, though. That is if I can find a Ps4 out in the wild because I haven't pre-ordered.

Oh, and great thread
ibtPgSHYe7tsZx.gif

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.

I'm sorta in the same boat. I want to be able to do remote play on the fly without having to swap disks and stuff. This is only possible if I buy those the stuff I want digitally. However, as always in life there is a trade off. In this case that trade off is gigantic installs and missing out on deals.

For me I've decided that the benefit of sales like buy 2 get 1 are more important to me than the convenience of digital downloads. I'm not terribly confident with the PSN holding up day one and being able to download the games I want too. So that is a factor.

Ultimately I think digital distribution has to be more appealing than just ease of use. The trade offs are too extreme without more benefits. I would be more accepting of a digital future if the prices were at least $20 less expensive.

Sorry I guess I'm kinda rambling.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

I decided to go physical at launch just because the idea of spending the entire launch day downloading 40GB games sounds like the ultimate buzzkill. That being said, I'm thinking about calling up Comcast and upgrading to a 100 Mbps connection some time in the near future.

jayu26

I decided to go physical at launch just because the idea of spending the entire launch day downloading 40GB games sounds like the ultimate buzzkill. That being said, I'm thinking about calling up Comcast and upgrading to a 100 Mbps connection some time in the near future.

Well, you would not have to download entire 40GB before you start playing. But as far as launch day is concern, it is safer to go physical.

Binx

I'll go physical at launch, especially because of the Target deal. I'll probably go digital for big open world and RPG games that I'll sink tons of time into, but stay physical for stuff I'll finish quickly.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Well, you would not have to download entire 40GB before you start playing. But as far as launch day is concern, it is safer to go physical.

Yeah I know but at my current speed, even the initial 7GB would take a good amount of time. And that's just Killzone, I have 4 other retail games I purchased plus digital content. It's just too much for launch.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I always go physical when given the option. Why give up the ability to return or resell my games?

jayu26

Yeah I know but at my current speed, even the initial 7GB would take a good amount of time. And that's just Killzone, I have 4 other retail games I purchased plus digital content. It's just too much for launch.

lol, PS4 has too many games.

Fletcher

Won't be getting a PS4 until March, but super stoked on launch. My wife is going to have to hold me back from trying to hunt one out. I love launches.

Can't wait for all the impressions. Have fun, dudes.

Midou

Picked up controller and Knack earlier today. Tried demo of Knack at an EB Games in Canada, was pretty dope. Had a bit of slow down in some transitions but combat felt pretty silky smooth.

MY BODY IS READY.

This blows :/

My expected delivery on Amazon is Monday. Had a perfect weekend to play the PS4, but I guess I'm at the end of the line.

Oh well, could be worse. I could be European.

This blows :/

My expected delivery on Amazon is Monday. Had a perfect weekend to play the PS4, but I guess I'm at the end of the line.

Oh well, could be worse. I could be European.

or me and not have a single clue when you can get a console. first shipment is out of the window unless I call around Tuesday/Wednesday and stores are receiving far more then they thought they would.

The guesses from the retailers around here when the 2nd shipment will hit is not something I like. Most say maybe before Christmas, and who knows how many more units will be sent out.

Could be a Wii situation till March/April of next year.

With the 2000 friends list limit, does anyone know if we can group friends into folders or groups? The FAQ only mentions locking a set amount of people for use on the PS3:

Additionally, you will be able to set and lock a pre-determined friends list to be used while you play on the PS3 system if you wish.

Codeblew

I hope Sony doesn't copy the non-gaming achievements. That just seems kind of over the top and would annoy the fuck out of me.

Top Bottom