• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I am trying to determine if I should switch out the HDMI cables to the new ones just because or if I can just use my PS3 one, lol. :(

Gaz_RB

I'm debating whether I should take a vacation day Friday. Originally, as luck would have it, I was supposed to have Friday off because it was my turn to work Saturday. Turns out, they don't need me Friday, so I'll have to work. The reason I'm considering it is because my preorder is from Amazon, so the FedEx/UPS guy probably will leave one of those "failed attempt at delivery" notices on my door. They are like ninjas as it is when you are home, but when you aren't it's practically impossible to receive your package on time.

Also, should I be concerned about launch game availability? I had the Watch_Dogs Amazon bundle, but with WatchDogs delayed I want to pick up ACIV. I'm worried it might be sold out come launch day. Should I pre-order?

I don't think games will be much of an issue at most places. I'm sure you'll be able to find them.

I know Im just being silly but does anyone else think the blu-ray slot is recessed two far between the top/bottom of the unit looks like getting disks in will be fiddly?
dualshock_system.jpg
No way bro. The "suck tray" solves that problem.

or is it "blow tray?"
I know it's slot loading

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
There's no good reason why you should need to switch the cables...but...well, I feel like I should.

ascii42

I am trying to determine if I should switch out the HDMI cables to the new ones just because or if I can just use my PS3 one, lol. :(

Obviously you need to get a new Monster HDMI cable so you get all 1080 p's, regular HDMI cables probably drop a few p's. You might even get i's instead.

wizzbang

Banned

HDMI is HDMI, it will make 0 difference.
EDIT:
Not only will it make 0 difference, it will take TIME TO PLUG THEM IN / CHANGE THEM!
I've literally plugged my cables in (power / network / video) and renamed my amp input.
I can open the box, take the PS4 out, plug it in and GO - I'm looking at like a ..5 minute turnaround from getting home with it (mines being delivered to work)

BYILphgCUAAnITM.jpg:large

Prepare, rename those amp inputs now!

Vizzeh

Banned

Digital is generally digital..I think the latest spec is 1.4. Your prob okay with the ones you have, but unless their expensive or awquard to get out, may as well just replace :)

I really hope they resurrect the G.A.P. program. I doubt it will happen but I felt so special being on the "in".

On the plus side I recently became a MVP.

I was hoping I could switch my amazon preorder to an amazon locker and get an earlier delivery but it won't let me.

They always get to my place after 7pm, and when I've had locker delivery recently it's been around noon even though it's down the block from me,

Vizzeh

Banned
Anyone know if there are any defining features on PSN to determine if someone on your friends list is playing a PS3 or PS4 game...ie BF4 user

I'm hoping we will see more native 3D games on the PS4 as well as Dual play support. Love that feature on my LG, but it's better if it's supported in game.

woober

I have a PS4 coming but none of the retail launch games interest me (BF4 would, but I play that on PC). Are there any indie/downloadable titles that are being made for PS4 that is releasing on launch? Last I heard they were planning on releasing a Journey PS4 port.

Vizzeh

Banned
I have a PS4 coming but none of the retail launch games interest me (BF4 would, but I play that on PC). Are there any indie/downloadable titles that are being made for PS4 that is releasing on launch? Last I heard they were planning on releasing a Journey PS4 port.

Killzone, knack, ac4?

wizzbang

Banned
How have Sony not released a UI video yet =\

Dude I've got no idea, we've got like..... 6 days to go? 5 and a half? Seriously................ either they are extremely confident with the UI, they are extremely worried about the UI or they are concerned it might be seen as a 'spoiler' taking some of the new sheen off use of the console?
I gotta say the Xbox One UI vid was pretty fucking slick.

Anyone know if there are any defining features on PSN to determine if someone on your friends list is playing a PS3 or PS4 game...ie BF4 user

That would be a nice little feature.

I remember when Socom 3/CA came out, there was a dot (I think) next to their names if they were on the PS3

Saganator

Just a little heads up for people who didn't manage to get a preorder, Most Costco locations should have some units. Its a bundle for $489, it comes with an extra controller, and I *think* a 1 year PSN+ card. If you get there early should be able to get your hands on one with out much hassle. Get dat Costco return policy.

Damn I got to try Knack at the Sony Store in NYC today, playing the demo on hard might have sold me on the game, you really do have to be alert.

Audioboxer

Yes Sir...

I think I might also use new HDMI cables, am debating it myself. I just feel like I should be all fresh and new for my PS4, maybe a bit much, but I think I will end up doing it?

lh4MmRn.jpg

Did you get the platinum for that NeoGAF game yet? I think you get it when you unlock "Member" :p

Dude I've got no idea, we've got like..... 6 days to go? 5 and a half? Seriously................ either they are extremely confident with the UI, they are extremely worried about the UI or they are concerned it might be seen as a 'spoiler' taking some of the new sheen off use of the console?

UIs are vastly overrated. If they can give us something as good as the XMB then I'll be pleased.

Pop

Press event yo

wizzbang

Banned
Press event yo

That's like 1 day before man :/

No, PROPER UI breakdowns which show all the little features - specifical the settings menu, how friends stuff works, how messages work, can you do voice messages, how do you block people? Can you change the size of their avatars? Where's the section to hide / show your real name? Is the store built into the UI or does it open an app. Does it still have odd stuff like a printing section? What's the bluetooth section look like? Is there a quick way to switch from game sound -> speakers to game sound -> headset.

The list goes on, for a long long time, HEAPS of shit isn't known and a proper UI breakdown (that isn't canned) would be nice.

Audioboxer

I have a worse issue than waiting in lines... nowhere to store PS4 games (this isn't even all my PS3 games).

IMG_20131110_014036.jpg

Good thing PS4 has no games, right?

wizzbang

Banned
But seriously, as long as the UI is fast, responsive, and works as advertised I really don't care if it's black icons on a white screen.

It kills me that people endure stuff like Metro and the new Gmail look - and general, flat, big, tabletification of user interfaces.

I LOVE that the PS3 UI lets you "see" below 4 or 5 steps and above 4 or 5 - same for left and right (or is it just right?)
You can do shit from muscle memory, you can know where to go just by seeing "ahead" - this flat single screen look, with no idea of what's on the next page? I don't give a fuck how slickly it's animated, it's slow and frustrating.

I've thought this too, im leaning to use the old one on the ps4 and the one that comes with the ps4 for the ps3.

Does anyone know if killzones soundtrack will be sold on PSN? I know its a preorder but will it be purchasable without a preorder?

Top Bottom