• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Vizzeh

Banned
is it possible to trade a ps3 copy of bf4/ac4 for a physical ps4 copy or does sony only allow the digital upgrade?

i don't really want the games eating up hard drive space and im a bit worried digital versions might suffer from performance issues like GTAV did.

In the UK we get a guaranteed £40 towards the PS4 Version with a 'trade in' of the Ps3 title. (usually games are £44 - still unsure if the price will increase/drop for next gen)

DoctorZ

You're going to base a purchasing decision around game reviews? Yuck.

Since only reviewers and outlets will have played the launch games before launch what is wrong with wanting some opinions from people who have actually played the games to completion. If you want to decide on launch games to play on launch day there won't be many opinions outside of reviews. Unless a ton of people get early consoles.

big_z

In the UK we get a guaranteed £40 towards the PS4 Version with a 'trade in' of the Ps3 title. (usually games are £44 - still unsure if the price will increase/drop for next gen)

being Canadian im not sure if we get that option but something similar would be nice. anyone else know if theres a physical upgrade option for bf4/ac4 ps3 to ps4?

Vizzeh

Banned
being Canadian im not sure if we get that option but something similar would be nice. anyone else know if theres a physical upgrade option for bf4/ac4 ps3 to ps4?

I tried to find specifically Canada only but as far as I can tell, you guys are under the same market as the US on this occasion. I found these links

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/09/19/how-to-upgrade-select-ps3-games-to-their-ps4-versions/

http://us.playstation.com/digitalupgrade/

Get the PS4™ digital version of select games for a discounted price when you buy the PS3™ version.
For a limited time, when gamers buy the disc or digital version of select games for PlayStation®3 they can download a PlayStation®4 digital copy of the same game from the PlayStation®Store for a discounted price. Redeem the code packed into the PlayStation®3 version of the game on the PlayStation®Store and download the PlayStation®4 version of the game when it's released. Then use the original PlayStation®3 disc in the PlayStation®4 to activate and start playing. Activate your code today! You do not need a PlayStation®4 to redeem your code. Redeem your code then download your digital copy when the PS4 digitial copy is available.

There is a digital upgrade and a physical upgrade option.

cormack12

Gold Member
When someone gets the console on 14/15th can you check if you can create freind categories/folders for organsiation?

On the ad, there's a screen here at 2:55 which shows 58 friends allocated to a PS4 lovers list/group that the player shares a video with. Is this a default group or user generated?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDCYa768iFE&feature=youtu.be

Maybe this has even already been confirmed and I've missed it?

Marvel

could never
Greatness Arrives.

1kw6.gif

Vizzeh

Banned
doesn't say anything about physical upgrade option

Seems your only option is to upgrade "from Digital or From Physical" TO "Digital"

Get the PS4™ digital version of select games for a discounted price when you buy the PS3™ version.
For a limited time, when gamers buy the disc or digital version of select games for PlayStation®3 they can download a PlayStation®4 digital copy of the same game from the PlayStation®Store for a discounted price

G17

doesn't say anything about physical upgrade option

I believe EB Games is doing upgrades to next gen. Phone in to ask. I'm sure they're already getting enough phone calls with this question due to the Futureshop trade in deal haha.

DryvBy

I created a Launch event on Facebook with some friends, just posting random stuff and trailers and listing what games we were getting. My brother is a die-hard Xbox fanboy to the fullest. I mean, complains about everything on the PlayStation. We can't even really have a conversation about next-gen because he gets too upset if you talk about the PS4.

As a joke, I added him and his fiancé to the event. My brother posted his "I'm not getting one" post and I joked around a bit, mainly using "ONE" jokes and various salty jokes. We typically joke around with each other on various things but his fanboy attitude took over. He removed me from Facebook and quit texting me.

So folks, lesson learned. Don't rub in how superior the PS4 is to the Xbone. They're extra salty right now.

DBT85

We typically joke around with each other on various things but his fanboy attitude took over. He removed me from Facebook and quit texting me.

Damn. If my dad, brother and I got THAT upset about abuse about our product choices we'd have killed each other by now.

It's non stop between the three of us.

Cyborg

For my fellow EU homies:

t1385683200z0.png

Only 18 days left. We can do thiiiiiiiiiiiis

I played the PS4 yesterday in a store (Bart Smit) Netherlands. It wasnt a smart move now the fcking wait is unbarable!

Btw the Dualshock4 feels amazing

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Yeah here in the states it's only retailers that are doing it. Sony's official upgrade is digital only (and you still need the PS3 disc if that's what you bought)

I thought GameStop was doing a promotion. Not sure if it was $10, might have been. But them you obviously have to give back the disc. The official one you don't. But you still need the disc in the PS4 to start the digital upgrade copy.

Best option seems digital to digital. You get two games for $70 playable on two different systems.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I created a Launch event on Facebook with some friends, just posting random stuff and trailers and listing what games we were getting. My brother is a die-hard Xbox fanboy to the fullest. I mean, complains about everything on the PlayStation. We can't even really have a conversation about next-gen because he gets too upset if you talk about the PS4.

As a joke, I added him and his fiancé to the event. My brother posted his "I'm not getting one" post and I joked around a bit, mainly using "ONE" jokes and various salty jokes. We typically joke around with each other on various things but his fanboy attitude took over. He removed me from Facebook and quit texting me.

So folks, lesson learned. Don't rub in how superior the PS4 is to the Xbone. They're extra salty right now.

As payback, disconnect his internet
tumblr_mu3scjR7k01shaex9o1_250.gif

DryvBy

Damn. If my dad, brother and I got THAT upset about abuse about our product choices we'd have killed each other by now.

It's non stop between the three of us.

My dad switched over after I showed him some stuff. He's now on the PS3 and waiting like me for this week. My brother went a little overboard. Just a little overboard lol. It's a game console. I'd hate to see what would happen if we disagreed with religion or politics.

Sadly, he just had his first child. But I really don't know who the child is in this situation.

rCIZZLE

For the non-preorder people who will be in the trenches trying to secure a PS4: how early are you planning on going to your local gamestop/bestbuy/whatever? I'm likely going to gamestop since they're letting people without a preorder to set one up at around 6pm Thursday and trade stuff in to pay it off before midnight. Thinking 10am Thursday should be early enough. Worst case scenario I can run across the parking lot to Best Buy and try my luck there if the line gets capped.

Anybody have much experience with Amazon preorders? Mine shows a delivery estimate of Nov. 15 by 8pm. How accurate can I expect this to be? Is Amazon usually good about shipping things so that they arrive on release day?

In preparation for the ps4, I'm selling my ps3. To eradicate my account from it, I just go to system deactivation, then format right? Or should I do restore?

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Yikes, one of the first ones I made. And that was before I learned how to use tracking function in After Effects, so that's handkeyed (slitswrist)

Handkeyed - the only method in GIMP. I really need to get and learn how to use photoshop.

Covfan

That playstation app that is on the App Store now in the EU is the one we've had for years, PS4 compatibility is coming in a different app I assume.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Anybody have much experience with Amazon preorders? Mine shows a delivery estimate of Nov. 15 by 8pm. How accurate can I expect this to be? Is Amazon usually good about shipping things so that they arrive on release day?

Yes, the only time I didn't get a game from Amazon on time, there was a hurricane.

LAA

That playstation app that is on the App Store now in the EU is the one we've had for years, PS4 compatibility is coming in a different app I assume.

Yeah was about to say that. The app will probably be either getting an update or being replaced by the new app.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Just curious. Why?

I get immense pleasure from my collection. There are days when I can just sit in front of it and look at the cases and enjoy touching the plastic. I know it sounds really bizarre, but I guess fetish is part of the fun of collecting things that don't hold value.

Sometimes I will dump them all on the floor and realphabetize them.

The reality is that trade-ins do not make sense from an economic perspective considering the loss of value you get, and I replay old games alllll the time. I had my Saturn out a few weeks ago, I have an NES under my desk, I have an N64 hidden behind my desk drawers. Just doesn't really seem worth it to me.

Already got AC4 and COD for ps4, I can't choose between KZ or BF4. I'm thinking KZ might be better with no friends. =\

Edit: Nm I chose KZ for release and ordered it on Amazon.

Ripclawe

Banned
I got to stop at BB to pay off the rest, it should be ready at midnight unless they screw it up for pick up.

I went and used this launch to justify paying for a new entertainment stand. Can't have the new system coming to a old home :p

rCIZZLE

So who is braving a line w/o a pre-order

I'm going to confirm gamestop has some extras then go there around 10am Thursday with fully charged Vita and music as well as a book. That and talking with other people in line should keep me occupied for the day.

KOHIPEET

For my fellow EU homies:

t1385683200z0.png

Only 18 days left. We can do thiiiiiiiiiiiis

Give an additional 13 days to that and you get the 31 days we still have to wait until it releases here. :(

At least I'm buying another one for christmass. :)

Empathy bear for Japan/Asia

Top Bottom