• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Mononoke

Banned
Aww fuck that! I am definitely buying a PS4 (come, Europe launch, of course) but I just find myself unmotivated to hype the shit out of this. A combination of no games (sorry, but this is MY opinion) and the fact that I'll be struggling economically this month).

Compared to the PS3 launch, where I was basically the most hyped I've ever been in a video-game related event, this is lackluster as hell. I'm sure some hype will go through my body whenever I hold this sucker in my hands though :3

All perfectly valid. Hope you eventually feel hyped. :)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Because you overhype everything :p
Maybe it feels like that but it's probably because I've very vocal and loud whenever I decide to hype something :3!

Oh and I just realized that EU launch is TWO weeks later - not one :( Fffffffffffff...

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
jvrDKkraZThBY.png

thank you based amazon.

oh man. checked Bestbuy.com forgot that i had a ps4 preordered once before. i cancelled it but i would have had a total of 5 ps4 lol

Congrats! Mine still hasn't shipped. 5 PS4s? My bro-in-law would love take one of those off your hands, dude. :)

More hype for this launch than PS3 but i don't think anything will beat PS2 hype i had .
Hope to join you guys soon but it going to be hell for me to get a console this year at a good price.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
8atk.jpg

Been non stop cleaning all day. Pulled out all my furniture, shampooed the carpet, simple green'd the entertainment rack, got all fresh HDMI cables and CAT6 cables, and detailed my leather recliner.

Girlfriend wishes i'd do the rest of the house but I only got time for the man cave right now. Really my man cave was well past due for a hard cleaning. And being both consoles are almost here and I just built a new gaming PC it was a good time to do it. Room smells so nice now, light smell of clean coming from carpet.

#hyped
Holy shit :lol I love it!

Replicant

8atk.jpg

Been non stop cleaning all day. Pulled out all my furniture, shampooed the carpet, simple green'd the entertainment rack, got all fresh HDMI cables and CAT6 cables, and detailed my leather recliner.

Girlfriend wishes i'd do the rest of the house but I only got time for the man cave right now. Really my man cave was well past due for a hard cleaning. And being both consoles are almost here and I just built a new gaming PC it was a good time to do it. Room smells so nice now, light smell of clean coming from carpet.

#hyped

Is that your GF holding the Killzone box. She's.....err...unique.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Everyone I'm so excited.

Last week, I decided last minute to switch to PS4 over Xbox One. It was a hard choice, but I made it. Everyone here was helpful with the info I would need to transition from Live to PSN.

I also got some great tips on how to take advantage of the money I had down on my Xbox. I canceled the Gamestop pre-order today and bought amazon gift cards with the credit which payed off my amazon PS4 order. Thanks for the idea, you're all awesome.

On top of that I had a little extra credit, so I got an extra controller, and thanks to the Target deal and the help on here I screed the games I wanted with B2G1 free plus 30% off.

This might be the greatest launch ever.

I'm ready.
I'm genuinely happy for you. Congrats.

Now if I could only come by that same 30% sale.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I'm sure this has been asked and I apologize, but is there news on the 1.51 firmware? The headset compatibility update...
1.50 is the USB headset update.

Qw9kuL1.png

Not sure about BT, but fwiw the 1.50 manual mentions BT headsets.

Support for Pulse line of headsets is scheduled to be in an early Jan update.

Welcome to the PS4 club! :)

Your post makes me wonder - Are there any PS3 only gamers who decided to switch to the xbox one? Would be an interesting thread if it doesn't already exist.

That would be interesting.

Awesome, glad you were able to take advantage of some sales.

Yeah man, I was so excited about that sale.

I'm genuinely happy for you. Congrats.

Now if I could only come by that same 30% sale.

I tried to pay it forward a bit from the help on here. After I got my games I got another 30% off with my game purchase. I didn't need it or any other games so some dude who was picking up Killzone I told him about the sale and gave him the coupon.

He was so pumped, I'd normally never just randomly go up to some random person like that, but I was in such a good mood haha.

1.50 is the USB headset update.

Qw9kuL1.png

Not sure about BT, but fwiw the 1.50 manual mentions BT headsets.

Support for Pulse line of headsets is scheduled to be in an early Jan update.

Just saw this thanks!. I was trying to figure out what to do with my Halo 4 Edition Titan War Heads. I think I might sell them and put it towards some Astros. Should have gotten those last year, rookie mistake.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I tried to pay it forward a bit from the help on here. After I got my games I got another 30% off with my game purchase. I didn't need it or any other games so some dude who was picking up Killzone I told him about the sale and gave him the coupon.

He was so pumped, I'd normally never just randomly go up to some random person like that, but I was in such a good mood haha.
250px-DustinHoffmanHook.jpg

Good form Henry, good form.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
From the user manual

Even if you are playing a game, you can say "PlayStation" and then say one of the following commands to perform operations.
Home Screen
Take Screenshot
So I guess it must reserve a little bit of CPU for that?

Also I still don't understand where apps and games go. It describes the 'content area' - the big main strip of icons - as showing the most recent apps and games you used. But it also says you select the web browser and TV/video apps from here. So does everything just go in a big long list? No separate game/video/music sections in the UI anywhere?

viveks86

From the user manual

Also I still don't understand where apps and games go. It describes the 'content area' - the big main strip of icons - as showing the most recent apps and games you used. But it also says you select the web browser and TV/video apps from here. So does everything just go in a big long list? No separate game/video/music sections in the UI anywhere?

There probably is.
Select [TV & Video] from the content area, and then select the service you want to use.

The above quote in the user guide implies that there is some category called TV & Video somewhere

I think I'm going to order those PX4s and give them a go.

Thanks!

No problem! :)

viveks86

I assume they didn't do the logical thing and make any Turtle Beach phones that are compatible with both next gen consoles, right?

How could they? No 3rd party headset is currently compatible with the xbox one. They are all releasing sometime in February, I think

Yoshichan

Just went on chat support, translated, here's a short part I copy and pasted:

"Hey, I can't find PS+ in the site. Could you help me find it?"
"Do you mean Xbox Live?"
"No, the similar thing but for Playstation."
"No similar thing exist, unfortunately".
"Do you mean no such thing exists on your site, or in general?"
"In general, are you sure you're not looking for Xbox Live? We've got plenty of that."

This is where I rage-quit :(

viveks86

Just went on chat support, translated, here's a short part I copy and pasted:

"Hey, I can't find PS+ in the site. Could you help me find it?"
"Do you mean Xbox Live?"
"No, the similar thing but for Playstation."
"No similar thing exist, unfortunately".
"Do you mean no such thing exists on your site, or in general?"
"In general, are you sure you're not looking for Xbox Live? We've got plenty of that."

This is where I rage-quit :(

LMAO!

Killthee

From the user manual

AFAICT, mostly yes: /
  • Installed games seem to just get dumped in the content area.
  • The Library icon is the new download list. I don't know if it's just a name change though or a full on interface refresh. Hopefully the latter....
  • There's no Video or Music sections, but then again the system doesn't have support for playing back imported media files/importing them so those sections would be pointless atm. One thing to note though is the VU tile is titled 'Video Unlimited - My Videos' (Purchased vids are also labeled My Videos), giving me the impression that they want you to associate Videos with their store and maybe something they could expand into a full Video tile later down the line.
  • System apps (Library, Live from PS, Whats New, & 'TV & Video') and first party apps (Music Unlimited & Video Unlimited) take up slots in the content area.
  • Third party apps seem to be the only ones that reside in a separate area. Instead of just populating the content area they appear below the TV & Video tile.

I was hoping the Library tile had a similar view, but I'm not so sure now....

Yoshichan

Can you buy PS+ (3/12 months) in the EU PSN store (digitally) or can you only buy it in stores (Gamestop, GAME)?

If you can buy it digitally, how much does it cost (EU)?

viveks86

What's the hold up with XBO? Isn't it simply a matter of making a cable that fits the new controllers?

Yeah, the controller has a proprietary headphone jack and the adapter isn't available yet. Just another MS goof up. It seems like they hadn't coordinated well with the peripheral manufacturers. :/

Neverfade

Yeah, the controller has a proprietary headphone jack and the adapter isn't available yet. Just another MS goof up. It seems like they hadn't coordinated well with the peripheral manufacturers. :/

Then going back to my initial question, I'm only curious why the adapter won't be sold separately come February since Turtle Beach connectors are removable anyway. Greed, I guess?

Edit: Or is that the case and i'm just super confused? :p

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
  • The Library icon is the new download list. I don't know if it's just a name change though or a full on interface refresh. Hopefully the latter....
  • There's no Video or Music sections, but then again the system doesn't have support for playing back imported media files/importing them so those sections would be pointless atm. One thing to note though is the VU tile is titled 'Video Unlimited - My Videos' (Purchased vids are also labeled My Videos), giving me the impression that they want you to associate Videos with their store and maybe something they could expand into a full Video tile later down the line.
  • System apps (Library, Live from PS, Whats New, & 'TV & Video') and first party apps (Music Unlimited & Video Unlimited) take up slots in the content area.
  • Third party apps seem to be the only ones that reside in a separate area. Instead of just populating the content area they appear below the TV & Video tile.

So, people complained about the organization on the PS3 (which can be managed quite well with folders) and they made it worse. Way to go guys! :(

Not very serious about that. I'll withhold any judgement until I can tinker with my own box tomorrow. I was really getting into digital releases on my PS3 though.

bar mitzvah

Neo Member
EDIT: Moved this question to the shipment status thread.

Pardon me if this has been asked, but has anyone had any update on their Best Buy in-store pickup status? I check it often, but it still doesn't say anything other than:

Order Status:: 1 item(s) preordered, release date is 11/15/2013.

Payment validated. It hasn't even reached the "preparing order" bubble.

viveks86

Then going back to my initial question, I'm only curious why the adapter won't be sold separately come February since Turtle Beach connectors are removable anyway. Greed, I guess?

Edit: Or is that the case and i'm just super confused? :p

The adapter will be sold separately. But I believe there would be headset models that are specific to the xbox one since they can utilize wired 5.1 surround, which the controller supports. If all of them were built on the adapter, then they might not be able to do 5.1 through wire.

Killthee

Jamie OD

Can you buy PS+ (3/12 months) in the EU PSN store (digitally) or can you only buy it in stores (Gamestop, GAME)?

If you can buy it digitally, how much does it cost (EU)?

You can do both. Digitally I think it's 6.99 euro for one month, 14.99 euro for three months and 49.99 euro for 12 months. So if you already have cash in your PS Store account you can use that to buy subscriptions. They also stack which is great if there will be a sale during Christmas like last year.

viveks86

Would it be unreasonable to think I could walk in and get this in a month or two?

You'd have to be quite lucky. There have been talks that post launch day, you might not find a console till end of January. But it looks like production levels are extremely high, so who knows! Good luck! :)

Would it be unreasonable to think I could walk in and get this in a month or two?

Given its low pricepoint and I can only imagine there becoming a bigger rush once people get it and start showing it off to family / friends... no

Edit: I meant no. There's 0 chance you'll find this in stores before January.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Pews, that's really bad. They must know they'll eventually have enough apps and games to need folders or similar, yet they start with a big list.

Oh well, let's hope 12 months from now we'll have had some big improvements to the XMB (I refuse to call it a freaking dynamic whatever)

Yoshichan

You can do both. Digitally I think it's 6.99 euro for one month, 14.99 euro for three months and 49.99 euro for 12 months. So if you already have cash in your PS Store account you can use that to buy subscriptions. They also stack which is great if there will be a sale during Christmas like last year.

Great info! Didn't know they stacked, thanks man!

Still no movement on the Amazon order. I'm compulsively checking my address and billing info every few hours.

they will not ship until they bill you
so let us know when you get billed, it should be the same day they ship
if they bill you today, then you might be getting it shipped today
normally amazon bills and ships the same day
I was wondering if they plan on making an exception

Top Bottom