• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Disc Drive already trending "High Demand" for Pro

Matt_Fox

PS5 Pro pre order may not be available till Sept 26th but that hasn't stopped the Disc Drive from blowing up.

Amazon UK is sold out.
Argos is trending "High Demand".

I just scored one from Argos - a heads up to buyers to move quick if they want one. It's an extra £99 stinger on the price but its better than the £120 people are already charging on Ebay.
CFdIVgh.png

Gerdav

For anyone in the uk its in stock on PS Direct, and also will depend on your local store but you can order on Argos for delivery 6-10pm tonight, Amazon appear sold out.

nikos

Not seeing any sold listings on eBay yet. I think there are plenty to go around at the moment. We'll see in a month or so.

Matt_Fox

Imagine if the scalpers get hold of the PS5 Pros? That is a nightmare scenario I don't even want to think about but it could happen if they think the demand for the console will be high.

I don't think Sony will be bullish with such an expensive console, they'll probably be cautious and keep stock levels relatively low. Could easily become a scalpers market if demand is strong despite the price.

Sethbacca

Yeah those aren't being sold to people interested in the PS5 Pro, those are scalpers
It wouldn't surprise me if Sony does some kind of holiday bundle or price cut for Black Friday so these may be high demand regardless if there are a pile of regular Slims sold. So the scalpers may make some money stocking up ahead of time anyway.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It wouldn't surprise me if Sony does some kind of holiday bundle or price cut for Black Friday so these may be high demand regardless if there are a pile of regular Slims sold. So the scalpers may make some money stocking up ahead of time anyway.
Retailer may do it too.

near

Gold Member
I'm not poor and I'm doing a victory lap for correctly calling this.

Trade your PS5 in and you'll get 350 dollars towards this. It's not that big of a deal.
This is honestly a bad take. I can buy several of these consoles and it wouldn't hurt my balance. It's just a fact that this price tag does not present itself as value for money. £800 for a console is absurd, anyone can see that.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
This is honestly a bad take. I can buy several of these consoles and it wouldn't hurt my balance. It's just a fact that this price tag does not present itself as value for money. £800 for a console is absurd, anyone can see that.

How does it not present value?

How much for a 1TB expansion drive? How much is the value of the increased GPU? How much for the AI upscaling?

I've always hated having to choose between performance and fidelity mode. One reason I liked Insomniac's Performance Plus modes. Now I don't have to choose. That's fantastic.

More and more games are going to be 30 fps moving forward and I hope you enjoy playing them at 30 fps. I'll enjoy them at 60.

This console will really be 920€ in Europe basically. This is the one continente that saved Sony back in the PS3. Xbox is irrelevant here as well...so of course they can do whatever they want.

Will i buy this now? Yeah.

Kuranghi

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Same. Mine is coming in Friday, so done deal. It seems local retailers will be taking pre-orders simultaneously. So I'll most likely get it from Best Buy. But if not applicable, Gamestop or PS Direct.
I tried asking my friend that runs a lot of Gamestops if he thought stock would be an issue and he said he didn't know for certain but highly unlikely anyone would have any issue getting one preordered

saintjules

Gold Member
I tried asking my friend that runs a lot of Gamestops if he thought stock would be an issue and he said he didn't know for certain but highly unlikely anyone would have any issue getting one preordered

Excellent to know. And I'm sure with that price point many are thinking twice.

Edit: nevermind I looked at the disc drive wrong hah.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

As for that disc drive though, how does the plate work since this Pro doesn't have a bulge to insert it properly or am I missing something? A back plate specifically for Pro also incoming?
No clue there

All the shit talking about consoles being digital only and Sony got people scrambling for Disc drives lol.
there isnt much aside from some dinosaurs that will get the drive, ps6 will be digital. keep in mind that the disk drive has drm where it requires you to connect to the internet so down the road it will be an issue when the servers get taken down and you want to switch or add a new drive,etc

Robbit_80

Just ordered one from the EE store in the UK. Can imagine these selling out pretty quick so fuck it.

I'll give Sony credit though, that was a clever move. 😂

Elios83

As for that disc drive though, how does the plate work since this Pro doesn't have a bulge to insert it properly or am I missing something? A back plate specifically for Pro also incoming?
The plate is on the disc drive itself, you don't use the one in the console anymore.

Last edited:
Top Bottom