• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Disc Drive already trending "High Demand" for Pro

So glad not to be playing the hunting game on this. I wonder if this is a sign on how well those pro units are going to move. Really not a fan of this going well for that price.

saintjules

Gold Member
The plate is on the disc drive itself, you don't use the one in the console anymore.

Woops I was looking at it's size wrong...

So glad not to be playing the hunting game on this. I wonder if this is a sign on how well those pro units are going to move. Really not a fan of this going well for that price.

I think if anything it will be indicative of the pricing scheme moving forward. I don't see a PS6 that would be more powerful be at a lesser price point than this.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Guys, chill.

With the way reactions are going, they are bond to make a bundle with the drive, at a nicer price, 3 months after the console crashes in sales.

Be Patient Stephen Colbert GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

Last edited:

aclar00

And this is supposed to fit the Pro?

Make sure you guys are in the return window period in case the one the produce for the Pro is diff dimensions. These things arent USB right?

Dont get me wrong, it would save Sony from producing two models...but i can see them making a pro specific drive for $99. Arent the widths different?

Last edited:

saintjules

Gold Member

Make sure you guys are in the return window period in case the one the produce for the Pro is diff dimensions. These things arent USB right?

Dont get me wrong, it would save Sony from producing two models...but i can see them making a pro specific drive for $99. Arent the widths different?

They said in the blog that you can use the existing disc drive to attach onto the Pro. It's compatible.

ReBurn

Gold Member
with the backlash. i can see them releasing a disc version next year
Not me. With the Pro reveal Sony is coming right out and saying that including a disc drive with a console is not necessary. At some point I can see them changing all of their SKU's to drop the included drive and have it be an optional purchase as a way of managing console prices. I wouldn't be surprised to see base consoles lose the included drive sooner than expected.

aaronwt

FYI for anyone in UK that cares. Still stock on the EE store (27 remaining at the time of this post) and with code "GAMEDAY10" you can get it for £88.18.

Has Sony actually confirmed that the current optical disc drive can be used in the PS5 Pro? Because, I would not be surprised it they made a slight change, so you needed a different version for the PS5 Pro. I mean, they aren't even including a stand with the $700 console.

near

Gold Member
Has Sony actually confirmed that the current optical disc drive can be used in the PS5 Pro? Because, I would not be surprised it they made a slight change, so you needed a different version for the PS5 Pro. I mean, they aren't even including a stand with the $700 console.
The width of the Pro is the same as the Slim apparently. Gamespot and IGN both confirmed the current attachable drive is compatible.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Crazy to have “Pro” in the name and not even offer a disc drive.
Why would the presence of a legacy media format be associated with a cutting edge technical device? They are at least giving you the option to have one, why would it be better than forcing others to also have one at an additional cost and size/weight?

Robb

Gold Member
Why would the presence of a legacy media format be associated with a cutting edge technical device? They are at least giving you the option to have one, why would it be better than forcing others to also have one at an additional cost and size/weight?
Because it’s a console aimed at video game enthusiasts that costs $700. There’s zero excuses not to have it included imo.

KaiserBecks

Why would the presence of a legacy media format be associated with a cutting edge technical device?
When one of your selling points is improved performance with back compatible games, you better include a disc drive. Owning your games on a disc and being able to share them is what gave Sony a hell of a lot of goodwill a couple of years ago. It’s so strange to see how things have changed.

Alebrije

Well on Amazon México still on stock, 135 bucks. Do not think we Will run out of stock since PRO price here Will be very high.

Anyway I jumped , I am not getting younger and Will not wait for. A PS6 pro. Skiped PS4 pro SO this Will be My first PRO.

Most of My games are physical so needed the drive.

Greatness awaits!!

I decided to order one a couple hours after the reveal just in case and just picked it up on the way home from work. Good choice I guess.

Last edited:

Matsuchezz

Well on Amazon México still on stock, 135 bucks. Do not think we Will run out of stock since PRO price here Will be very high.

Anyway I jumped , I am not getting younger and Will not wait for. A PS6 pro. Skiped PS4 pro SO this Will be My first PRO.

Most of My games are physical so needed the drive.

Greatness awaits!!
I just got it cheaper from Liverpool, it was 10% off. It should arrive between now and friday. I am going to giveaway my current PS5 to my older brother.

Justin9mm

I'm about to buy this, can someone link me to where it actually says it 100% fits onto a PS5 Pro?
It would be completely illogical not to.. It's literally the whole reason why the Pro is one SKU. It's called critical thinking. Not sure how old you are but something Gen Z is completely devoid of. Our world has gone to shit.

PSYGN

It would be completely illogical not to.. It's literally the whole reason why the Pro is one SKU. It's called critical thinking. Not sure how old you are but something Gen Z is completely devoid of. Our world has gone to shit.

Talk talk talk show some proof

Justin9mm

Talk talk talk show some proof
oh look someone who doesn't have critical thinking skills. The best thing you can do is get a proper education so you can acquire some of those life skills. You don't need to be told everything in life to work things out for yourself. The level of dumb on the internet amazes me.

Last edited:

PSYGN

oh look someone who doesn't have critical thinking skills. The best thing you can do is get a proper education so you can acquire some of those life skills. You don't need to be told everything in life to work things out for yourself. The level of dumb on the internet amazes me.
Lol you got baited. Take a chill pill bro

AmuroChan

Existing drive will fit.

9ch2pUW.jpeg

Justin9mm

People spend $3000 on high end PCs while all their games are digital
Yes, but remember, games are cheaper, multiple competitor outlets to buy games from. Actual refund policies like Steam's 2 hour try before you buy type of system. And you can gift games etc. None of which consoles have, Sony have some of the shadiest digital policies around and a monopoly on price.

Matt_Fox

am all digital but i like the 4k player for movies and have games you can not get digital any more.

I'm the same - have a small (but lovingly curated!) collection of 4K movies and I use the PS5 as the player.

There was a rumor going round that the Pro would support Dolby Vision for movies, which would have been a nice bonus but I haven't seen that mentioned by Sony.

Robb

Gold Member
People spend $3000 on high end PCs while all their games are digital
But this isn’t a PC. It’s a “pro” version of an existing platform that already has a user base of +60M people where the best selling SKU is a model with a disc drive. All with the promise of improving the performance of your existing library…

“here’s a ‘Pro’ version of our system, it’s significantly more expensive and has less features out of the box than the original. Please understand.”
Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

Last edited:
Top Bottom