• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Disc Drive already trending "High Demand" for Pro

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It looks like it collected dust before anyone bought it.

When something is called "special edition" people no longer have problems with the price. We do get a 2TB hard drive, which is nice i have to say.
Maybe Sony should call ps5 pro "special edition" instead?

Youtubers would buy it just to be visible in the background. :messenger_winking:

You are so right. LOL!

Sony is really confused about people buying up a disc drive for a $699 console that people claim they don't want. Lol

INSANE!!!! Just a few years ago people were saying digital only was the future. NOW......the disc drive is the most important part of a console LOL!!

onQ123

You are so right. LOL!

INSANE!!!! Just a few years ago people were saying digital only was the future. NOW......the disc drive is the most important part of a console LOL!!
I don't think these people realize how insane they look jumping from hill to hill to die on .

They was just telling people to get a PC which is at least 90% digital now but losing their minds about this disc drive situation lol .

I really haven't bought a PS5 Game disc yet I bought a 2 TB SSD popped it in & never looked back.

That's coming from a person who couldn't wait for Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD) lol

Now I'm just hoping for some type of break through in data distribution like reusing the local analog TV airwaves to send data directly to RAM as you go.

rkofan87

Gold Member
nm98uai.png

People saying this doesn't make sense, but the Pro is bigger than the Slim
this gave me a fright for sec.

eerik9000

You can use an already paired drive on another console.

Just need to be paired again on the new console.

No issue getting a used disc drive.
Thanks for correcting me. Looks like I was mislead by bad information. I would not put it past Sony to do such things, but glad this isn't the case.

I'd rather wait until I have a pre-order actually secured before getting mine I would hate to be sitting on a drive without the console same goes for people already trading in their PS5s to gamestop umm make sure your location isn't one of the many that's about to be shutdown this year 🙃 I understand the preparation but I just wouldn't be too hasty

BlackTron

I'm really interested in watching whether the majority of these drive buyers are intent future Pro owners or scalpers intending to sell to future Pro owners.

And if they are scalpers, whether their drives will be inflated, they break even, or have trouble moving them. And what the reasons are.

There are a lot more dynamics to analyzing this system than usual due to this piece of it being currently available.

Basically it would be really fascinating if Pro sells well, but the drive ends up being a nothingburger. This is a really interesting test for Sony but we can try to read between the lines ourselves by watching how much scalpers are suffering.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
This is where I am right now :
99% of my library is digital since A) I can grab PSN wallet cards cheaper than their worth (39.99€ for a 50€ card) and B) I use remote play a lot.

Thing is, I still have physical copies of CP2077 which I need as to be able to play the expansion which I bought but haven't touched yet, Armored core 6 which I also bought but haven't touched yet, The Nier prequel/remake, Nioh2 and a couple of other games.
What the heck am I going to do with these ? Used market is non-existent where I live and as for GameStop...they'll buy them for a pittance which is a no go.
Thing is, shedding 120€ for the drive from the already ridiculous 800€ price tag here in Europe is better than nothing but still...

What a cluster fuck this disc/no disc SKU situation is...

Last edited:

jm89

I don't think the shortage is gonna last long.

Even though physical is still big on playstation, I think alot of people buying will be opting for digital.

Gerdav

I ordered mine within minutes of Tuesday’s reveal and glad I did as it appears completely sold out in the U.K.

I have been 100% digital gaming wise for close to a decade and have a 4TB ssd that I’ll be transferring over to the pro, but I have a large collection of physical DVD’s/Blu Ray’s and 4K Blu Ray’s that I need the disk drive for, it’s still easier and more convenient than getting a dedicated 4K Blu Ray player.

Cornbread78

I ordered mine within minutes of Tuesday’s reveal and glad I did as it appears completely sold out in the U.K.

I have been 100% digital gaming wise for close to a decade and have a 4TB ssd that I’ll be transferring over to the pro, but I have a large collection of physical DVD’s/Blu Ray’s and 4K Blu Ray’s that I need the disk drive for, it’s still easier and more convenient than getting a dedicated 4K Blu Ray player.
Have they talked about this in any Q&As yet? I have a 4tb drive that has been collecting dust until the Pro releases. Can I install it in my 5 and transfer it with everything downloaded on it to the Pro?

IAmRei

Imagine if the scalpers get hold of the PS5 Pros? That is a nightmare scenario I don't even want to think about but it could happen if they think the demand for the console will be high.
Scalper here ask more than $1400, for launch price about $1600 🫠

King Dazzar

Scalpers are definitely buying them. Appearing on ebay for £230. I'd love Sony to step in now with tons of them. Until my government do something. Its the best way to stop it. Flood the market with enough stock. Nothing I'd like more than to see scalpers get bitten.

Gerdav

Have they talked about this in any Q&As yet? I have a 4tb drive that has been collecting dust until the Pro releases. Can I install it in my 5 and transfer it with everything downloaded on it to the Pro?

According to Sony’s own support pages everything will be there and it’s just a case of swapping the ssd.

How to use an M.2 SSD on a different PS5 console​

1. Safely remove the M.2 SSD from your PS5 console.
  2. Install the M.2 SSD into the new PS5 console.
    You can now access and play the games on your M.2 SSD.
To successfully access the data on your M.2 SSD on a new PS5 console, make sure you are signed in to the same account on both consoles.

Cornbread78

According to Sony’s own support pages everything will be there and it’s just a case of swapping the ssd.

How to use an M.2 SSD on a different PS5 console​

1. Safely remove the M.2 SSD from your PS5 console.
  2. Install the M.2 SSD into the new PS5 console.
    You can now access and play the games on your M.2 SSD.
To successfully access the data on your M.2 SSD on a new PS5 console, make sure you are signed in to the same account on both consoles.

Nice, I hope it works that easy for the pro. I'll start filling up the drive now, lol!

Roufianos

They were obviously produced in low quantities. I'm sure Sony can easily ramp up production for the Pro and hopefully have some bundles on Direct. I think a lot of scalpers are gonna end up sitting on theirs.

Kings Field

From what I heard from a GameStop manager yesterday they are planning on doing bundles for their pro preorders in store on October 10th. He said they will have one or two preorders for just the console and the rest bundles. He didn’t go into details on wha true bundle included but I’m assuming maybe a disc drive and stand.

Take this with a grain of salt because when preorders opened for the PS5 during that fiasco, the manager at the time preordered all the consoles for himself and his buddies at my local GameStop which was instantly. So don’t bank on just them come October 10th.

Reactions: Isa

saintjules

Gold Member
From what I heard from a GameStop manager yesterday they are planning on doing bundles for their pro preorders in store on October 10th. He said they will have one or two preorders for just the console and the rest bundles. He didn’t go into details on wha true bundle included but I’m assuming maybe a disc drive and stand.

Take this with a grain of salt because when preorders opened for the PS5 during that fiasco, the manager at the time preordered all the consoles for himself and his buddies at my local GameStop which was instantly. So don’t bank on just them come October 10th.

I guess it's no surprise. Gamestop always offer bundles. It will be no different for the Pro.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
People blaming this on scalpers simply want that to be the case.

Of course there are some people trying to resell on ebay for a bit extra, but look at the numbers, they're pretty small and hardly any of these have bidders on ebay.

This isn't how scalping works.

Duchess

Dude, I probably spend 1/5 of what you do on games each year. The option to resell games, especially shit ones, is awesome.
Exactly!

I just finished and sold my copy of Armored Core 6. Bought it for £21 (new, from Amazon), sold it for £15 cash. So, the game cost me £6 in the end.

Meanwhile, the digital edition is £60 on PSN, literally 10 times more than what I ultimately paid for it.

nnytk

The plate is on the disc drive itself, you don't use the one in the console anymore.

Aah this video just taught me that I'm not stuck with a white PS5 Pro if I ever want to get different colored plates, even if you use the disc player. Great!

CLW

Got the STANDARD Pro anyone know any retailers in the US that have the disk drive available? If not I can wait out the scalpers for a drive.

Top Bottom