• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Disc Drive already trending "High Demand" for Pro

ahtlas7

Discovery Sharks GIF by Shark Week

Sharks Scalpers know when suckers are spawning.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
When one of your selling points is improved performance with back compatible games, you better include a disc drive. Owning your games on a disc and being able to share them is what gave Sony a hell of a lot of goodwill a couple of years ago. It’s so strange to see how things have changed.
Yeah but they are not stopping you have that option, if you value it you can pay for it. I don't want that, I haven't bought discs since PS3 days, so I'm happy it's optional for people like yourself, but not any more expensive for me.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Because it’s a console aimed at video game enthusiasts that costs $700. There’s zero excuses not to have it included imo.
I'm an enthusiast and I don't want a disc drive. I expect they have metrics that tell theme there are a lot like me. Why make others pay extra for something that can (and has) been made optional? If you don't value the price it costs then fair enough, stick with the PS5 you have.

Not looking forward to at all to the death of physical media on consoles. Its already the worst part about PC gaming. Especially now there is more value than ever to having a day one version of a game permanently regardless of internet access.

This is clearly a step gap and a way to test the waters, how many people will fork over for the disc drive, how many will resign to only digital.

Archie501

Neo Member
not saying i dont beleive you but do you have the source?

The disk drive is quite expensive here, i need some confirmation before i get one.
Look at the CNET video posted in another thread. He explains it works and it shows one being attached in the footage.

Last edited:

onQ123

Kerotan

Sold out in Ireland. I'll probably want one for my Pro but I can easily wait as I don't currently have any ps5/4 games on disc.

Robb

Gold Member
I'm an enthusiast and I don't want a disc drive. I expect they have metrics that tell theme there are a lot like me. Why make others pay extra for something that can (and has) been made optional? If you don't value the price it costs then fair enough, stick with the PS5 you have.
So am I, and I want one.

It shouldn’t be “extra”. It’s already $700, it should be included.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
So am I, and I want one.

It shouldn’t be “extra”. It’s already $700, it should be included.
Great argument, why stop there. It's $700 they should include X, Y, Z

The price is the price, if you don't like it then vote with your wallet. Like I say you have the option to buy it. I would love to pay less and get more for lots of things in life, but you have to make decisions based on what is being offered. You will likely have to wait a year or so in the hope that the price is reduced.

Fabieter

Great argument, why stop there. It's $700 they should include X, Y, Z

The price is the price, if you don't like it then vote with your wallet. Like I say you have the option to buy it. I would love to pay less and get more for lots of things in life, but you have to make decisions based on what is being offered. You will likely have to wait a year or so in the hope that the price is reduced.

A disc drive is to be expected in video games consoles and if they charge extra for a basic thing in an already expensive product than everyone is in the right to tell Sony they are greedy.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
A disc drive is to be expected in video games consoles and if they charge extra for a basic thing in an already expensive product than everyone is in the right to tell Sony they are greedy.
You are making sweeping statements based on your own opinion. I do not expect a disc drive in consoles anymore, but I'm glad they are giving people the option to vote with their wallets to prove that they want/need them.

Also 'expensive' is a relative concept.

Last edited:

Fabieter

You are making sweeping statements based on your own opinion. I do not expect a disc drive in consoles anymore, but I'm glad they are giving people the option to vote with their wallets to prove that they want/need them.

Also 'expensive' is a relative concept.

Ofc it is if iam a billionaire. It's nothing for me to pay 1000 bucks because I broke the speed limit, but I think the average family father would have a harder time.

I know it's optional but critical thinking over stuff like it if you aint comfortable with what those companys do it's horrendous. It's also sets the sail for the pricing for next generation and maybe they drop physical altogether. Speak up before its too late ;).

Last edited:

onQ123

As a Portal owner I don't think I'll ever buy a PS5 game on a disc unless I find it in a bargain bin or something. The only disc that's been in my PS5 is UHD Blu-Rays and I think I might have put a old PS4 game in it before but I'm not even completely sure it I did that .

gerth666

Not sure how this meme works.

If they gave you an improved CPU and more ram you'd think be paying more then $700. And you'd still complain.
I've been saying it since yesterday, these people complaining about the price are people who were never interested in buying it anyway. It's just platform wars. Fucking sad

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Ofc it is if iam a billionaire. It's nothing for me to pay 1000 bucks because I broke the speed limit, but I think the average family father would have a harder time.

I know it's optional but critical thinking over stuff like it if you aint comfortable with what those companys do it's horrendous. It's also sets the sail for the pricing for next generation and maybe they drop physical altogether. Speak up before its too late ;).
Yeah I think it is literally not a product aimed at the "average" person. It is a high end version of an already niche product.

It's kind of like saying that Apple should price their iPhone Pro Max 16 (or whatever it's called) for the average person, why would they do that when they have other products to cater for those people and they have another set of people that are willing to pay a premium just to have the best possible iPhone, even if it is in a cost per power ratio may offer a diminishing return.

The actual solution for this is probably others stepping up and offering genuine competition. I would love to see Valve offer a Steam Box priced to compete and obviously offering people that would have previously bought a PS an option to benefit from free online multiplayer and the ability to buy from 3rd party code stores. But pretty sure they wouldn't be offering a disc drive (sorry guys).

Fabieter

What the hell does this mean? Platform wars are fun?

That's not what I said or meant. But to discredit all voices which ain't happy about Sony as platform wars is a)wrong b)sad like you said initially;).

Yeah I think it is literally not a product aimed at the "average" person. It is a high end version of an already niche product.

It's kind of like saying that Apple should price their iPhone Pro Max 16 (or whatever it's called) for the average person, why would they do that when they have other products to cater for those people and they have another set of people that are willing to pay a premium just to have the best possible iPhone, even if it is in a cost per power ratio may offer a diminishing return.

The actual solution for this is probably others stepping up and offering genuine competition. I would love to see Valve offer a Steam Box priced to compete and obviously offering people that would have previously bought a PS an option to benefit from free online multiplayer and the ability to buy from 3rd party code stores. But pretty sure they wouldn't be offering a disc drive (sorry guys).

The best solution is to speak up give them a shitstorm about their constant pr mistakes this gen and hope they might change their greedy stance. If they don't look for an alternative. That alternative might be a bit more expensive but it will be better overall ;).

gerth666

That's not what I said or meant. But to discredit all voices which ain't happy about Sony as platform wars is a)wrong b)sad like you said initially;).

The best solution is to speak up give them a shitstorm about their constant pr mistakes this gen and hope they might change their greedy stance. If they don't look for an alternative. That alternative might be a bit more expensive but it will be better overall ;).
So tell me what are you not happy about.?

gerth666

Well let's answer it the other way around. If the asked price would include stand and the discdrive than It would still be expensive for a console but I wouldn't complain ;).
Got it, so you think it's not worth it to you. I still don't get why that should get your back up, you've made the choice not to buy it. That's fine.

gerth666

So you never excuse shitty business practices. Got it;).
What shitty business practices? The fact that it's £700 without a disc drive? Do I think that's spicy? Yes. Am I willing to pay? Yes. Again I think you were never going to buy a ps5 pro whatever it cost and whether a drive were included. You're just playing platform wars, and it's sad

Ronin_7

What shitty business practices? The fact that it's £700 without a disc drive? Do I think that's spicy? Yes. Am I willing to pay? Yes. Again I think you were never going to buy a ps5 pro whatever it cost and whether a drive were included. You're just playing platform wars, and it's sad
You gotta understand not everyone here is an engineer with high salaries like us.

People want something they can't afford and are unhappy.

Fabieter

You gotta understand not everyone here is an engineer with high salaries like us.

I hope Sony is charging a grand for the ps6 without the ability to have a disc for all those fancy engineers 🤣🤣. It's not about being able to afford it.

What platform wars? The fact that PC has better value than consoles now? If you can afford big money toys than staying on consoles make no sense in the first place.

PeteBull

It just looks like really bad value proposition, back durning cryptoboom i spent 2200 euro for 3080ti, so its not like i cant afford 920euro ps5pr0(obviously counting in disc drive coz dont like to be assfucked by sony overpriced digital prices here in europe), i just dont think its good value proposition for me personally, maybe it will drop in price in a year by 200usd/euro when gta6 launches ;D

gerth666

I'm lucky to be in a position to buy one. I except it's expensive, but I do think it's worth it
I think it was, that's why I bought one. I played Ferrari 355 Challenge in HMV and just knew......I HAD to have one.

@Riky likes to play skin the cat?

We've (except a certain delusional group) been knew that making Starfield an exclusive was the wrong move, as the game completely BOMBED, had ZERO longevity and did not boost GamePass sales like they had hoped.

UVnP.gif

Shit he's figured out my plan

On what planet is this the case? And, by the way, may I ask exactly who else is making a better example? 3rd or 1st party?

At the end of the day, both dev groups cater to a specific group of people. The 'problem' is that one group is FAR bigger than the other, yet it is treated as a niche audience, which is insane.

I DO agree, however, that if a character fits the story to be unattractive, then yes, go for it, no questions asked. Bryanne of Tarth in Game of Thrones is one of the best characters in the story, and she's purposefully unattractive, and the characters around her ACT ACCORDINGLY, which adds to her arc and her character. What those retarded ideologues do not understand, is that by making EVERY female character look like Bryanne of Tarth WITHOUT having an arc and the appropriate context/responses, the whole point is lost, what makes the character special is lost, and it's all done to appease a generation of mentally unhinged individuals who don't have the money to buy your product anyway.

Thats the job. You get paid to do a job. Nothing more.

Now if someone wants some kind of locked and loaded job for life, isn't Japanese corporate culture kind of like that? Whether it's government law or just the company norm, it's kind of hard to get outright fired. Instead they kind of ween you off to crappy special projects hoping you eventually quit. I'm sure there's other places in the world where it's hard to get fired.

Just work in those places.

It doesn't matter if anyone works for a giant corporation or is an apprentice working at Pete's Plumbing Service. Dont treat employers like hand out charities. If any of you ran a business with costs to track I bet every one of you isn't going to guarantee anyone a job for life either.

Some games have large differences, others do not. Simple as that.

Good luck running the game on anything other than six-eight CPU cores. This is one of the few games that maxes out eight CPU cores/threads.

EOzbW8U.jpg

Just a raging Sega fan that stills hold a grudge against Sony but happy to talk bs about security and making weird comparison between rrod and some way smaller PS3 issues.

Things that make you go hmm..

The trouble is in the waiting

This is a 4 year old game

Don't expect 8k in any games other than some simple indie titles. I don't doubt console will be upscaling all games to it on HDMI output.

nnVpRvf.jpeg

This is with DLSS on Nvidia (so comparable to PSSR), without it PS5 Pro performance should be below 6900XT (GPU stronger than the one in PS5 Pro in raster) and 3090. This is also basically a PS4 game.

Imagine being the people that sold the dev to Sony and dodging that bullet. I'd be sitting next to the pool sipping on a margarita.

I hope Sony is charging a grand for the ps6 without the ability to have a disc for all those fancy engineers 🤣🤣. It's not about being able to afford it.

What platform wars? The fact that PC has better value than consoles now? If you can afford big money toys than staying on consoles make no sense in the first place.

Because I've got no interest in buying a pc mate. I like playing on playstation.
I'm starting to see why you're working overtime now trying to convince people not to buy a pro. It's blatant concern trolling.

Fabieter

I'm lucky to be in a position to buy one. I except it's expensive, but I do think it's worth it

Because I've got no interest in buying a pc mate. I like playing on playstation.
I'm starting to see why you're working overtime now trying to convince people not to buy a pro. It's blatant concern trolling.

Yes platform wars and concern trolling. No negative statements allowed. Got it!

sainraja

He's got a point. If you value the disc drive over the other upgrades then you have to speak with your wallet and not buy it. My initial reaction was similar but then I looked back at how many physical games I bought and the answer was like just 1. Having the disc drive as an optional add-on was probably the right call (given where the industry seems to be heading). Was it the right call to price the console with the upgrades that it has $699.99? Maybe or maybe not. Sony has to show us that or convince those who are not convinced yet.

From what I have read, they are aiming for better performance modes with the Pro and if people want that, the Pro is the answer to that. Did Sony make the right choices with its design? We will see.

Personally, I am not planning on getting it at launch unless I see good trade-in offers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom