• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Disc Drive already trending "High Demand" for Pro

Fabieter

Oh well mate, carry on as you were. I'm sure you'll convince someone that they'd be better off buying a pc

Yea same iam sure you will convince everyone that they wrong criticize Sony and the pro is the best value in the gaming industry and it's not at least 100 bucks too expensive. Carry on.

BlackTron

He's got a point. If you value the disc drive over the other upgrades then you have to speak with your wallet and not buy it. My initial reaction was similar but then I looked back at how many physical games I bought and the answer was like just 1. Having the disc drive as an optional was probably the right call (given where the industry seems to be heading). Was it the right call to price the console with the upgrades that it has $699.99? Maybe or maybe not. Sony has to show us that or convince those who are not convinced yet.

1TB, with drive, 650. Should have done it. Actually they would do well with two models of Pro but then it's just too many SKUs.

The issue I see with a "budget pro" (lol) say 1TB, no drive for 600. It's just getting really close to the price of base PS5 and the whole point here is for Sony to get some premium margin out of the arrangement. Where they may be taking sales away from base PS5 in favor of Pro with worse margins. They are better off letting it stand as an out-of-reach premium product than competing with themselves by making it sell.

Fabieter

1TB, with drive, 650. Should have done it. Actually they would do well with two models of Pro but then it's just too many SKUs.

The issue I see with a "budget pro" (lol) say 1TB, no drive for 600. It's just getting really close to the price of base PS5 and the whole point here is for Sony to get some premium margin out of the arrangement. Where they may be taking sales away from base PS5 in favor of Pro with worse margins. They are better off letting it stand as an out-of-reach premium product than competing with themselves by making it sell.

It's 400 euro more expensive than the disc version of the ps5 amateur in Europe. That's quite substantial room to have less storage with a disc drive and a stand.

But going by their other price hikes like ps+ which was also substantial but didn't change anything in the service, the fact they raised the price on their controllers (which have a shitty build quality), well yea they just seem to be greedy all around.

gerth666

Yea same iam sure you will convince everyone that they wrong criticize Sony and the pro is the best value in the gaming industry and it's not at least 100 bucks too expensive. Carry on.
That's not what I'm trying to do and you know it. I said I except that it's too expensive but that I'm willing to pay because I can afford it and want it. I've not said it's the best value in gaming, that's what you're hearing in your head.
Like I said you have never had any attention to buy a pro, and are using the price tag and no drive as ammo to platform war. That's all I'm going to say to you

Fabieter

That's not what I'm trying to do and you know it. I said I except that it's too expensive but that I'm willing to pay because I can afford it and want it. I've not said it's the best value in gaming, that's what you're hearing in your head.
Like I said you have never had any attention to buy a pro, and are using the price tag and no drive as ammo to platform war. That's all I'm going to say to you

Interesting like you try to put stuff in my mouth or in my mind. How do you know I was never interested? I was ready to put the preorder button if they would go online right away. Will put the money towards a 5xxxrtx card instead, but I can still speak up if I think its shitty value.

Three

so an $800 console.. actually $900 with that ssd upgrade! :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_crying:
Shit if it's like that PS5 Pro is a bargain

2TB PS5 Pro + disc drive + 2TB SSD = $890
2TB xbox series x + 2TB expansion = $880

For only $10 more you get much more powerful hardware in the PS5 Pro

will-smith-shrugs.gif

Last edited:

sainraja

You have a good point there. I do like that they went with 2TB for the price they are asking but of course it is likely also the reason for it being so high and of course they don't want to lose money with it.

gerth666

Interesting like you try to put stuff in my mouth or in my mind. How do you know I was never interested? I was ready to put the preorder button if they would go online right away. Will put the money towards a 5xxxrtx card instead, but I can still speak up if I think its shitty value.
I don't believe you simply as.
You can buy what you like mate, I'm not going to try and convince you that 5xxxrtx is a waste of money. I'm sure you'll get great enjoyment from it

Fabieter

I don't believe you simply as.
You can buy what you like mate, I'm not going to try and convince you that 5xxxrtx is a waste of money. I'm sure you'll get great enjoyment from it

Dude nvidia deserves its fair share of shit for their pricing structure also. Never said its a waste of money. Alot of stuff is completely overpriced but it's great but that's not the issue.

rkofan87

Gold Member
And this is supposed to fit the Pro?

Make sure you guys are in the return window period in case the one the produce for the Pro is diff dimensions. These things arent USB right?

Dont get me wrong, it would save Sony from producing two models...but i can see them making a pro specific drive for $99. Arent the widths different?
the cnet video said it fits we are good

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Imagine if the scalpers get hold of the PS5 Pros? That is a nightmare scenario I don't even want to think about but it could happen if they think the demand for the console will be high.
I'll pass if that comes to fruition I can wait! No way am I giving some malignant sub-human greedy cunt more than £700!

BlackTron

i mean you just can tuck it on from your ps5 slim right? at least that i can do when i get it down the line^^
Doesn't it register to your system or something crazy like that? I'm not sure what a big deal it is to swap on another PS5 but I wouldn't assume it will just work.

Eszti

Banned
from what i know is you need internet conncection. but it should work i guess so i will sell the slim as digital. but what with the cover from the disc case? just put the pro one on the slim vice versa

Doesn't it register to your system or something crazy like that? I'm not sure what a big deal it is to swap on another PS5 but I wouldn't assume it will just work.
from what i know is you need internet conncection. but it should work i guess so i will sell the slim as digital. but what with the cover from the disc case? just put the pro one on the slim vice versa

Once you register on a console it will work on that console even if you swap back. 1st time always require internet connection and to have the latest firmware.

Last edited:

Venom Snake

Disc drives are selling out, so that means people don't care about the pricing apparently. amirite?

Let's be honest here, $1k doesn't seem that impressive these days, no matter what internet says.

I don't want to defend anyone or anything here, but where there is demand, there will be money to spend.

demigod

Knew this was going to be an issue so I bought mine not long after the reveal. Should be shipping soon.

God I hope PSSR makes its way to Cyberpunk 2077.
Goodluck with that. The only reason why cdpr even did a patch for the PS4 Pro was because it was patched for the xbox one x.

Top Bottom