• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Disc Drive already trending "High Demand" for Pro

Metnut

Makes sense. The Pro is a monster and it’s the best way to play games without dealing with all of the BS that comes with dealing with PCs. Cheaper too. Also, you get to play stuff like GTA6 and Sony second half of the gen exclusives day 1.

This thing is gonna sell like hotcakes.

Last edited:

Zacfoldor

Makes sense. The Pro is a monster and it’s the best way to play games working dealing with all of the BS that comes with dealing with PCs. Cheaper too. Also, you get to play stuff like GTA6 and Sony second half of the gen exclusives day 1.

This thing is gonna sell like hotcakes.
Hell yeah brother. Haters today will be clicking F5 with us on preorder day they just don't know it yet. You can already feel the change in the air.

Loxus

I'm surprised no one is talking about the scalpers.

548wbRz.png

eerik9000

One of my local retailers has been increasing the price for the drive €10 per day since the Pro announcement. Started at €119, which is already a lot more expensive than the American price, went up to €129 and now at €139. Will probably be €149 by the end of the day. Free market, baby.

iHaunter

I'm fine trading in my PS5 for Pro for $350. Considering I had it day 0 and got a lot of use out of it; however, $700-$900 for it is insane. PS5 should be dropped to $400, and this should be $600 if that. No CPU upgrade makes no sense.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

It's funny how everyone is now "PRO" physical media now. Just last week and dated back to 2020, I've been in fights about why physical media is still needed. But most told people like me that digital only future was here.

welshrat

And this is supposed to fit the Pro?

Make sure you guys are in the return window period in case the one the produce for the Pro is diff dimensions. These things arent USB right?

Dont get me wrong, it would save Sony from producing two models...but i can see them making a pro specific drive for $99. Arent the widths different?
It already says on the ps blog that these drives fit the pro

" PS5 Pro console will be available this holiday at a manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP) of $699.99 USD, £699.99 GBP, €799.99 EUR, and ¥119,980 JPY (includes tax). It will include a 2TB SSD, a DualSense wireless controller and a copy of Astro’s Playroom pre-installed in every PS5 Pro purchase. PS5 Pro is available as a disc-less console, with the option to purchase the currently available Disc Drive for PS5 separately."

Last edited:

aclar00

It already says on the ps blog that these drives fit the pro

" PS5 Pro console will be available this holiday at a manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP) of $699.99 USD, £699.99 GBP, €799.99 EUR, and ¥119,980 JPY (includes tax). It will include a 2TB SSD, a DualSense wireless controller and a copy of Astro’s Playroom pre-installed in every PS5 Pro purchase. PS5 Pro is available as a disc-less console, with the option to purchase the currently available Disc Drive for PS5 separately."

Thanks, a few people pointed it out to me as well a couple of days ago.

Archie501

Neo Member
nm98uai.png

People saying this doesn't make sense, but the Pro is bigger than the Slim
The pro is taller, true. However i believe that is because the middle section containing the fins is larger. The shell sections above and below should be the same. I'd be very surprised if the different shell colours available for the slim model were not compatible with the pro.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

aclar00

As I posted in another thread

Damn, so you have to buy two separate drives if you have a base digital PS5 and a Pro?

I mean on one hand it seems legitimate. But these fuckers made it a peripheral, so it doesnt on the otherhand.

You got to buy that shit all over again if your digital bites the dust and you decide to buy a new one instead of paying to fix it?

Edit: Next thing you know Sony is going to tie controllers to a console and far too many people will take it up the ass and chalk it up to smart business practice. Im sure its poossible given the firmware updates they get.

Last edited:

yogaflame

I still hope Sony will release a version with a disc drive in the future. Maybe with all the anger, they will think about it.

Last edited:

Venom Snake

Why should the PS5 Pro have the same price as this console?

2tb-xbox-series-x-599-99-holiday-2024-v0-cklB_aZta_l5GmatXDWsy0TCXC3xSgzFK1JnzcdTJKE.jpg

It looks like it collected dust before anyone bought it.

When something is called "special edition" people no longer have problems with the price. We do get a 2TB hard drive, which is nice i have to say.
Maybe Sony should call ps5 pro "special edition" instead?

Youtubers would buy it just to be visible in the background. :messenger_winking:

Last edited:

welshrat

Damn, so you have to buy two separate drives if you have a base digital PS5 and a Pro?

I mean on one hand it seems legitimate. But these fuckers made it a peripheral, so it doesnt on the otherhand.

You got to buy that shit all over again if your digital bites the dust and you decide to buy a new one instead of paying to fix it?
Just googled it.

"Yes, you can move a disc drive between two different PS5 Slim consoles. The drive registers with the console it's connected to, so no extra steps are needed to move it to another console. "

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Shareholders gonna be happy. Finally Sony is moving into serious profit territory. Not that it wasn't before but this is even better. They are gonna laugh in the face of all the detractors. As a result we will get more expensive everything. Switch, Xbox, Steam Deck. It's all going up, no doubt about it.

Alebrije

PS5 PRO Will sell better than some think, if on a country like México the drive is out of stock on Amazon this means the demand is good.

Yes it won't sell like the regular PS5 but for a PRO that in México Will cost 750-900 U.S. ( we don't Even know how Much Pesos it Will it cost) is interesting to see the lector running out of stock.

Isa

I was mulling it over these past few days and this morning I decided I'd go ahead and try to get a Pro myself, so I ordered the Disc Drive and Stand. My library is mainly digital but I like the option to go physical when desired, plus I have been collecting a LOT of movies and anime physically for the past year now, so its always nice to have another 4K UHD drive.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Scalpers being dumb here. You can hoard all the drives you ever want but who are you gonna sell them to?
We all know Sony will make like 3 pros for the entire Holiday season and one of them will be inside a demo-station in Japan never to be sold anywhere. So yea good luck selling all those drives to 2 people :messenger_relieved:

Last edited:

GrayDock

Just got mine, now the wait....
By the way, someone knows if we can use the slim plates on the pro? At first it looks like they are the same, but couldn't find any confirmation.

Top Bottom