• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Best Buy Listing (mentions 4K using PSSR at 60fps-120fps with RT all at the same time for compatible titles)

Bojji

I mean, it's just going to run those PS4 games at "120" mode that the PS5 does now. But more consistently.
Rainbow Six Siege already does 120FPS on the PS5.

Games that already have 120fps mode will obviously have better framerate if they are GPU limited.

But 120fps mode if base PS5 don't have it? I don't think it will happen very often (game has to be light on the cpu) and there is no reason why base console shouldn't have it with low enough resolution (like starfield on series s, hahaha).

I just can't believe that people that are somewhat tech oriented (that's why they want Pro in the first place) can believe bullshit like: better resolution/IQ AND better framerate AND better RT AND higher graphical options, 8k etc. AT THE SAME TIME.

With 45% power increase it can't be all that and we already know that with first wave of games.

XXL

I just can't believe that people that are somewhat tech oriented (that's why they want Pro in the first place) can believe bullshit like: better resolution/IQ AND better framerate AND better RT AND higher graphical options, 8k etc. AT THE SAME TIME.
Minus RT we literally just saw that with Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth today.

But regardless...

No one thinks the PS5 Pro is going to have the newest current games running at 4K, 120fps with RT.....It just sounds like some older games could.

Stop misrepresenting what people are saying.

Bojji

Minus RT we literally just saw that with Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth today.

But regardless...

No one thinks the PS5 Pro is going to have the newest current games running at 4K, 120fps with RT.....It just sounds like some older games could.

We only saw bump in performance and reconstruction added, resolution and effects remained the same.

If all this is about PS4 games then forget what I said, I fucked up while reading.

Then again, there is no technical reason why normal PS5 couldn't boost PS4 games if sony can indeed unlock them on system level, console is already more than 8x more powerful in GPU and 3x+ in CPU than base PS4 (2x better GPU than in Pro). Locking it to only PS5 Pro would be completely artificial.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Busch Beer GIF by Busch

XXL

Wonder how many games can do native 4k 60fps. My guess is 99% of them rely on frame gen.
Why does it have to be native?

If the image is crisp, who cares how they got there?

All indications seem to be this.....PS5 Pro versions have a better image than the fidelity mode of the PS5 versions, but at 60fps (or twice the frame rate).

Regardless if they're native or not.

XXL

We only saw bump in performance and reconstruction added, resolution and effects remained the same.
Stop worrying about the native resolutions, it's doesn't really seem to matter.

We have had example after example....so again....The PS5 Pro versions seem have a better image than the fidelity mode on PS5, but running at twice the frame rate (generally 60fps).

Regardless of the native resolutions.

We have seen multiple examples of this this week.

As long as they're achieving a better image, I don't think anyone cares about how they are getting to it.

Taycan77

How is GT7 for a casual player btw? It seems like a very grind-heavy f2p title at this point. I remember seeing looooads of DLC for GT7, years ago. How does the game hold up these days? I'm tempted to give it another go when I get the pro...

Regarding that DLC, I might be confusing GT7 with Horizon...
There's practically zero grinding in GT7 if you only want to complete the hefty single-player campaign and additional events. The game rewards you with the necessary prize cars to continue onto the next stage in the campaign. Grinding is required if you want to collect all 550-600 cars. But even then we are talking about a literal handful of ultra rare exotics, many of them classics, that the casual player is unlikely to be interested in.

GT7 has received a huge amount of free DLC and that looks unlikely to stop. Many are expecting a big update to coincide with PS5 Pro.

Will the PS5 Pro improve even the non-compatible PS5 games in loading, frame rate, or graphics in some ways? If not then I'll wait.
We'll have to see what devs do. It's worth bearing in mind PSSR can be added to any PS5 title (and theoretically PS4) by means of a patch. On PS4 Pro you could only add Checkerboard Rendering if the title was updated to the latest SDK. This was a costly and time consuming step. We should see many older titles make use of PSSR as it's simply a case of replacing FSR2 (or whatever upscaling method the dev used) with PSSR.

Last edited:

XXL

Thinking over it some more I remembered.

TLOU Part 1 had an unlocked framerate, it was around 80fps-90fps at times and God of War Ragnarok I believe had an unlocked framerate again 80fps-90fps at times.

I'm wondering if those could be increased to 120fps while using PSSR to upscale to 4K with some RT features added.

sachos

Doom Eternal could potentially do it.
Thats the one i thought about, the 7700XT already can do 120+FPS but at 1080p native res. Maybe possible 4K PSSR Performance. Do we know how much better the RDNA4 RT will be compared to RDNA3?

rt-doom-eternal-1920-1080.png
Elden Ring RT mode at a capped 60 would be nice to see.
This one seems harder, the 7700XT is doing 54FPS at native 1080p. All these tests are done with Ultra settings though, maybe if they drop to a Mix of High/Medium they could do it, and again, how much better the RDNA4 RT is compared to 3.
rt-elden-ring-1920-1080.png

Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/galax-geforce-rtx-4070-super-ex/33.html

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Thats the one i thought about, the 7700XT already can do 120+FPS but at 1080p native res. Maybe possible 4K PSSR Performance. Do we know how much better the RDNA4 RT will be compared to RDNA3?

rt-doom-eternal-1920-1080.png

This one seems harder, the 7700XT is doing 54FPS at native 1080p. All these tests are done with Ultra settings though, maybe if they drop to a Mix of High/Medium they could do it, and again, how much better the RDNA4 RT is compared to 3.
rt-elden-ring-1920-1080.png

Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/galax-geforce-rtx-4070-super-ex/33.html
7700XT doesn't have PSSR.

aclar00

Somebody help me out here....PS5 doesnt already boost PS4 games and improve their image quality?

Seems it would be a shitty base console upgrade if it doesnt.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
PSSR will give you better image quality but it can't give you extra raster performance.

So what should we call the extra frames afforded by these ML technologies that can produce similar, and sometimes better, pixel detail than native rendering?

Correct me if I’m wrong but I think that is nothing preventing devs to use FSR Frame Generation with PSSR. I think in the latest updates frame generation now can work with any other upscaler in the market.

killatopak

Gold Member
I think I'm very vocal about my love of replaying games and by extension BC.

Bestbuy listing Pro improves PS4 games as well will be a huge factor in my purchase.

First game to test would be Bloodborne.

Zathalus

How is GT7 for a casual player btw? It seems like a very grind-heavy f2p title at this point. I remember seeing looooads of DLC for GT7, years ago. How does the game hold up these days? I'm tempted to give it another go when I get the pro...

Regarding that DLC, I might be confusing GT7 with Horizon...
I really enjoyed it, don't expect much of a story or career but the racing, cars, and track variety are all great. The cafe thing with all the information they give you regarding the history of cars and racing is also pretty interesting.

The DLC thing is Horizon I believe, GT7 just really has the ability to buy credits, but it is not needed.

Top Bottom