• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Best Buy Listing (mentions 4K using PSSR at 60fps-120fps with RT all at the same time for compatible titles)

Moses85

It's real, and here he is after Cerny finished giving him that PSSR (you will see why these are spoliered):

21199752_774133359435217_34561615706869386_o.jpg

21246257_775473952634491_3026974472974707242_o.jpg
Season 1 Episode 6 GIF by Friends

How Dare You Greta GIF

Arrested Development Crying GIF by HULU

Last edited:

sachos

7700XT doesn't have PSSR.
I know but if the RT performance of the Pro gpu is similar to the 7700XT and it already cant do 60fps at native 1080p it wont be able to do at 4K Performance either since upscaling has a cost. All of this assuming the RT performance is similar, we dont know how big the jump from RDNA3 to 4 in RT will be.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I know but if the RT performance of the Pro gpu is similar to the 7700XT and it already cant do 60fps at native 1080p it wont be able to do at 4K Performance either since upscaling has a cost. All of this assuming the RT performance is similar, we dont know how big the jump from RDNA3 to 4 in RT will be.
I am willing to bet the RT performance will surpass it, especially due to PSSR.

sachos

I am willing to bet the RT performance will surpass it, especially due to PSSR.
In this case it could be another Alan Wake 2 situation were you have to render sub 900p and upscale to 1440p with PSSR and then do basic upscaling to 4K. This is all using the Ultra settings though, consoles rarely use those so you can get performance there too.

Lysandros

Based on what we know like twice the intersection throughput per CU and additional features designed to accelerate some other parts of the pipeline, RDNA 4 can only be more performent in RT compared to RDNA 3 which makes total sense. My only worry is the additional bandwidth pressure that those would potentially bring in case of PS5 PRO especially, since the machine's increase in this area is very 'modest' to say the least.

Last edited:

yogaflame

Why do they keep pushing 'ray tracing'? Most don't give a shit.
A decent frame rate will be enough for me, but still, for me, it still looks cool to see RT with realistic lights and shadow especially in action games where there are times you can stop and enjoy the view. Stellar blade, FF7 Rebirth, Rise of Ronin, GOT, Elden Ring, Wukong, Resident Evil, etc. any game were you can stop and enjoy the view will truly benefit with RT. Hopefully PSSR will truly be revolutionary and game changer.

sachos

Based on what we know like twice the intersection throughput per CU and additional features designed to accelerate some other parts of the pipeline, RDNA 4 can only be more performent in RT compared to RDNA 3 which makes total sense. My only worry is the additional bandwidth pressure that those would potentially bring in case of PS5 PRO especially, since the machine's increase in this area is very 'modest' to say the least.
Thats awesome. The thing is Cerny said its 2 to 3 times the RT performance but thats relative to the PS5 gpu and thats RDNA2. What is the equivalent RT of the PS5, something like a 6600 XT?
If you take the performance of that and multiply x2.5 you get around 7700XT performance at 4K (although this graph may be VRAM limited in this case, i dont know if its better to compare at 1440p or 1080p).
relative-performance-rt-3840-2160.png

Lysandros

Thats awesome. The thing is Cerny said its 2 to 3 times the RT performance but thats relative to the PS5 gpu and thats RDNA2. What is the equivalent RT of the PS5, something like a 6600 XT?
If you take the performance of that and multiply x2.5 you get around 7700XT performance at 4K (although this graph may be VRAM limited in this case, i dont know if its better to compare at 1440p or 1080p).
relative-performance-rt-3840-2160.png

Make it RX 6700 and add some due to lower level API/offline BVH. I was responding to the core question of RDNA 3 vs RDNA 4 RT hardware in the context of throughput per hardware component/IE/CU. I far as I know RX 7700 XT has only half the L0/L1 cache amount per DCU/SA compared to PS5 PRO, this is a factor. Altogether with mentioned RDNA 4 RT IPC/feature improvements and lower level API logic dictates that PS5 RT performance should exceed 7700 XT at least somewhat with enough developer care. But again that modest shared APU bandwidth is a big question.

Last edited:

sachos

Make it RX 6700 and add some due to lower level API/offline BVH. I was responding to the core question of RDNA 3 vs RDNA 4 RT hardware in the context of throughput per hardware component/IE/CU. I far as I know RX 7700 XT has only half the L0/L1 cache amount per DCU/SA compared to PS5 PRO, this is a factor. Altogether with mentioned RDNA 4 RT IPC/feature improvements and lower level API logic dictates that PS5 RT performance should exceed 7700 XT at least somewhat with enough developer care. But again that modest shared APU bandwidth is a big question.
Thanks for the awesome input. Really fun trying to predict performance for new hardware.
About the low level API boost, the biggest i remember is the one in CP2077 PS5 Rt mode vs 6700

In this video they also test in Avatar that also has RT but there the 6700 is 10% faster than PS5.

Last edited:

Lysandros

Thanks for the awesome input. Really fun trying to predict performance for new hardware.
About the low level API boost, the biggest i remember is the one in CP2077 PS5 Rt mode vs 6700

In this video they also test in Avatar that also has RT but there the 6700 is 10% faster than PS5.

Yes, it depends on the game but generally in the ballpark. PS5 is also ~5-10% ahead in Black Myth Wukong compared to a PC with a RX6700 and equivalent (XSX') CPU.

Theoretically you could extract up to twice the performance from a fixed platform using a lower level API compared to an equivalent PC hardware like John Carmack once stated. But it isn't practical nowadays due to resource and time constraints of the industry and higher game complexity. Only some first party efforts can have the luxury to advance further to be closer to this goal.

Last edited:

Calverz

And this is surprising why? I’d have thought that would be the minimum for the games that are essentially last gen or 4 years old? The less demanding titles.

Top Bottom