• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro pre-orders go live |OT|

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
If you do a trade in, they put the money on a trade in card unless you put the money on something immediately. Apparently if you have a GameStop gift card, it won’t allow you to buy any sort of gift card like PSN or Steam. If you have a trade in card though , it works just like a debit card but they might fight with you a bit over it.

Still pondering if I should trade in my XSX now that MS is going third party and I’m getting a pro

I only see around $300 trade in value for a ps5 or XSX

Should I trade in own or wait?

panda-zebra

I never thought it would be hard to preorder the regular today. PS4 Pro was pretty easy to get and ended up totally 13% of PS4 consoles sold last gen (heard on some pod cast the other day).
PS4 Pro only accounted for 13% of PS4 consoles sold. They know this will be as or more niche with the higher price, that most people buying are upgrading from a PS5 they already have so they can just wait a bit if needed to buy at regular price etc. There’s not nearly the hype/demand/FOMO with a mid gen refresh as there is with a new generation console release.
PS5 Pro was never going to be very hard to buy. PS4 Pro wasn’t either and ended up only accounting for 13% of PS4 console sales. These are niche items for us enthusiasts and there’s just not the demand/hype/fomo there is or new generation launches.
Plus, as I and others have said, the PS4 Pro only ended up accounting for 13% of the PS4 consoles sold.
Ummmm, aaaaachtully...🤓

Don't worry, not being a dick quoting you multiple times to own you 😇 just saw it mentioned so often in this thread I had to see where it came from as it's not the same ratio I recall reading at the time. Just happens it was yourself saying it each time... so sorry about that, lol.

The 13% figure is, as you say, the percentage of ps4 Pro consoles sold as a proportion of total ps4 sales - but those are lifetime ps4 sales, so it skews the perception of how the Pro sold once it became available. The percentage of sales before November 2016 is a shocking 0% - bomba!

Also, it's also US sales only, not worldwide. The data was supplied by Mat earlier in the month (also those sales accounting for 15% of volume in revenue terms). Welfare reverse engineered this to put total US ps4 Pro sales at 22% to 23% of all ps4 sales from its launch, which is pretty much what was already known, but now confirmed late in the ps4/pro's life. It lines up exactly with what we were hearing at the time that Pro was selling one unit for every 3 or 4 base ps4 units - 22-23% of ongoing sales.

That's not nearly as niche as the far less meaningful 13% of total lifetime ps4 sales suggests.

The ps4 Pro also contributed 13% towards worldwide noise pollution levels. This fact might require some checking.

Still pondering if I should trade in my XSX now that MS is going third party and I’m getting a pro

I'd say hold on to it if you have a large owned library of games or an active GPU sub, but if not...

XSeX values aren't going to go up. People are already selling them for $250 on Facebook. If GameStop is really offering you $300 on an XSeX trade in I would take the money and run

Last edited:

ValiantInstance

Neo Member
LOL Walmart briefly put the 30th anni Slim preorders up for Walmart+ members only

Might have been a mistake, intern clicked the wrong button or something, not supposed to go live until 10/10
So that confirms they're going on sites like Amazon on the 10th. Hopefully they made more than 5 of them so people can actually get one.

The Japanese really get hard over exclusivity don't they. So exclusive that the people who deserve these things never have a chance of actually owning it.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I'd say hold on to it if you have a large owned library of games or an active GPU sub, but if not...

Don’t own any games, and my GP sub expires next May.

So I should probably sell it honestly. I never really liked GP anyways and prefer owning my games

the games I’m looking forward to like Fable and PD aren’t announced for PS5 but I’d have to imagine it will eventually happen.

But who knows, maybe Phil keeps legacy Xbox studios exclusive while Activision/Bethesda are third party

Last edited:

Ogbert

Gold Member
I’ve cancelled mine. I’ve slept on it for a couple of days and decided the £700 can be put to better use elsewhere.

To be honest, it was just FOMO.
I haven’t gone for it. And I usually pick up every console and/or upgrade on day one.

I just don’t see the point at the moment. All the games they are showcasing already look and play brilliantly.

I’ll probably get one in 12 months or so.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Who claimed it would sell out in minutes? You're only creating a narrative. The PS4 Pro didn't sell out in the US and was readily available. It was always going to be a niche product just like the PS4 Pro was. It's selling to the 10-15% of enthusiast gamers.

But yes, in general it is a good idea to queue up for your pre-order because you have no idea what the supply situation looks like. A product can have low demand, but also low supply, and still potentially sell out.

Nothing sold out prior to covid. The ps4 was available for days and weeks. It dipped in and out of stock short term.

If I can be assed later I might dig out some posts but I got a birthday today so I'm gonna be out.

Let's see how the pro plays out. I'm not convinced it's going to do well this time. Not as well as the ps4 pro and that's not great.

Are people really trying to change the narrative to they only sat in queues for hours to get 30th anniversary editions and that they knew they could just log in at any time to buy a pro? I'm not falling for that at all.

Last edited:

dEvAnGeL

This isn’t the thread but it became the thread. Ps5 Pro is an optional console. You don’t need reasons to buy one or not to buy one. You’re not missing out on games if you don’t. Only graphical upgrades. If you are okay with your current ps5. That is fine. The Ps5 Pro is the 4090 to the 4080 (obviously no comparing power) sort of speak. You will be able to play the games but they will look a little less detailed and might run a little less stable. That is all.

S0ULZB0URNE

XSX could go up in value if they discontinue that model as the 2TB model is being marketed as a limited edition-ish if I'm not mistaken.
These two models would be the only(?) physical disk capable.

So maybe keep a eye on if it's value goes up?

Rob_27

So I should probably sell it honestly. I never really liked GP anyways and prefer owning my games

the games I’m looking forward to like Fable and PD aren’t announced for PS5 but I’d have to imagine it will eventually happen.

But who knows, maybe Phil keeps legacy Xbox studios exclusive while Activision/Bethesda are third party
Put the money towards the next xbox in 2026.

dEvAnGeL

Every console is optional and please don’t spread this message around here
Don’t spread what? A different opinion. For all intents and purposes almost everything is optional. Ps5 Pro is optional to the Ps5. If you have a Ps5 and don’t get a Pro you won’t miss any games coming to the platform. Absolutely optional.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

Is there anything coming to Xbox you’d like to play? Fable, Avowed, or South of Midnight? If not, I would just trade it in.

welshrat

Do you own a PC? I sold my series x and haven't missed it at all. My intention was to share games between PC and living room but I just never turned the box on. It's literally what I have done with every Xbox since the 360. I buy it because I like tech but sell it 6 months on as I never use it.

Just to add I love my PS5 and have ordered a pro it just seems to be the Xbox brand I have issues with and I have no idea why. I keep trying and just waste my money. This time around I was sure I would use the series x as on paper it's great hardware but alas it wasn't to be. Hopefully have learnt my lesson now.

Last edited:

Alebrije

Finally in México can order the pro for 950 US , the Anniversary sold out on Amazon on a few minutes but still can order the regular one.

The Pro is the second trening gaming related item on Amazon México. So it seems there are demand no matter the price.

Probably better to pick this up nearer the time of GTA 6 release, unless you've not played the current list of games that would benefit from the Pro, there really is no point of picking this up now.

Hopefully some places drop the price in the next few months.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Is there anything coming to Xbox you’d like to play? Fable, Avowed, or South of Midnight? If not, I would just trade it in.

Indiana Jones, Doom, Fable, and Perfect Dark mostly from what they've revealed (maybe Blade). At least 3/5 of those games are coming to PS5.

I honestly don't see why they'd put Doom, Indiana Jones, and Blade on PS5 but not Fable or Perfect Dark.

I'd be OK waiting a little bit if they are not day and date, especially for Pro enhancements.

Put the money towards the next xbox in 2026.

Maybe, although honestly I kind of want to de-clutter. Everyone has their preferences but I don't like the UI or controller for Xbox and I really don't buy into the GamePass model of games as I'd rather just buy them. At that point I'd just wait for a PS6.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Indiana Jones, Doom, Fable, and Perfect Dark mostly from what they've revealed (maybe Blade). At least 3/5 of those games are coming to PS5.

I honestly don't see why they'd put Doom, Indiana Jones, and Blade on PS5 but not Fable or Perfect Dark.

I'd be OK waiting a little bit if they are not day and date, especially for Pro enhancements.

Maybe, although honestly I kind of want to de-clutter. Everyone has their preferences but I don't like the UI or controller for Xbox and I really don't buy into the GamePass model of games as I'd rather just buy them. At that point I'd just wait for a PS6.
Then yeah, I’d get rid of it. Fable and Perfect Dark might still come later.

j0hnnix

Traded in the lot of games(some really old games) , PS5 , Xbox one X and got 571. Bought a Series S for kids bedroom.. can't get ps gift cards with it so the remaing 313 I'll see if I get another pre-order in through GameStop.. hopefully sell steam deck as well.

Markio128

Gold Member
Enjoy with what you got then! I'm ready to play Rebirth the way it was supposed to.
I recently completed Rebirth in quality mode (it was fine), but I’m saving NG+ for the Pro. It’s going to be awesome, and likely one of the first games I try on the Pro, along with GT7. I’m pretty pumped for the Pro tbh because most of my fave games this gen are getting an upgrade, including NMS on PSVR2.

PaintTinJr

I'm not saying you were like this, but there were plenty of posts saying "everyone complaining at the price and it will sell out in minutes". That has not happened at all, it is still available in the UK. If it sells 5% of the PS5 number, do you consider that a success for Sony? Will developers support it properly?

Also, I can't comment for other parts of the world but retailers absolutely CAN NOT sit on aged stock in the UK. Why do you think the PSVR2 fire sale happened?

In the UK most distributors work to 90 day aged. If you hit 90 Days on your stock that is held at a Disti, you better start looking at SOA (Sales out allowance) to clear that stock, or you risk the disti, company pulling out the SOR ( sale or return) terms and the system goes back to the manufacturer/supplier. No one wants that as its double shipping losses / costs and doesn't go on anyone's number for revenue and sales. So the number one route is to support the product with discounts to clear it, then you can purchase new stock and the cycle repeats.

Let's see how this plays out, but the narrative is deffo changing from "This will sell out in minutes, better queue up for your pre order" to "This will be readily available its a niche product"
I couldn't pre order yesterday, but could have pre-ordered just now, but the inability to order the drive and the unit as one is a real turn off. I'm never going all digital on non-retro console, and the idea spending all that money and having to fit the drive myself, assuming the drive isn't sold out is just too big a barrier. I still think it will sell well, but I would agree the all-digital flex by PlayStation tells me this will land differently in 6months, because the launch price will then look worse without FOMO, and no disc drive pre-installed is going to be a put off for those that want to buy later even with a price adjustment.

Really hope before they do retail pre-orders they make a pre-installed disc bundle so they tip the balance for me.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Apparently Sony is cancelling some PS5 Pro 30th Anniversary orders 🤔
Sadly I think the ones that are being cancelled are genuine gamers that want it, ironic isn't it.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I'm not saying you were like this, but there were plenty of posts saying "everyone complaining at the price and it will sell out in minutes". That has not happened at all, it is still available in the UK. If it sells 5% of the PS5 number, do you consider that a success for Sony? Will developers support it properly?

Also, I can't comment for other parts of the world but retailers absolutely CAN NOT sit on aged stock in the UK. Why do you think the PSVR2 fire sale happened?

In the UK most distributors work to 90 day aged. If you hit 90 Days on your stock that is held at a Disti, you better start looking at SOA (Sales out allowance) to clear that stock, or you risk the disti, company pulling out the SOR ( sale or return) terms and the system goes back to the manufacturer/supplier. No one wants that as its double shipping losses / costs and doesn't go on anyone's number for revenue and sales. So the number one route is to support the product with discounts to clear it, then you can purchase new stock and the cycle repeats.

Let's see how this plays out, but the narrative is deffo changing from "This will sell out in minutes, better queue up for your pre order" to "This will be readily available its a niche product"
Like I have said before, Sony signaled to retailers stock would not be a problem, for the US anyhow

This is zero indication if this product is successful or not

I can walk into any store in Southern Indiana and see tons of PS5 sitting on shelves and no Xbox Series X

I guess by your logic the Series X is being a huge success

Markio128

Gold Member
Like I have said before, Sony signaled to retailers stock would not be a problem, for the US anyhow

I can walk into any store in Southern Indiana and see tons of PS5 sitting on shelves and no Xbox Series X

burn GIF by Call of Duty World League

Brucey

I wonder if they decided not to restock the physical stores with series x and just offer it online with shipping? Less risk of getting saddled with unmoving stock?

People are so conditioned to think if a product doesn’t sell out day one it’s not selling good which makes no sense.

Obviously Sony wants to make as much money as possible and they can’t do that if they don’t have enough consoles available to sell.

The only reason most things sell out day one is because of low stock or manufactured fomo tactics, like what they are doing with the 30th anniversary edition ps5 pro.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
People are so conditioned to think if a product doesn’t sell out day one it’s not selling good which makes no sense.

Obviously Sony wants to make as much money as possible and they can’t do that if they don’t have enough consoles available to sell.

The only reason most things sell out day one is because of low stock or manufactured fomo tactics, like what they are doing with the 30th anniversary edition ps5 pro.
The numbered editions were going to sell out instantly even if Sony doubled the retail price, more than enough people would have paid $2k for them.

At $700 for a mid gen refresh these pros were not going to sell out

Heck on my drive today drove through a Ford lot looking at Raptor Broncos and they had a ton of F150s on the lot, they must not be successful at all

Oh wait the F Series truck is one of the top selling vehicles in the US every year

R6Rider

Gold Member
The numbered editions were going to sell out instantly even if Sony doubled the retail price, more than enough people would have paid $2k for them.

At $700 for a mid gen refresh these pros were not going to sell out

Heck on my drive today drove through a Ford lot looking at Raptor Broncos and they had a ton of F150s on the lot, they must not be successful at all

Oh wait the F Series truck is one of the top selling vehicles in the US every year
Off-topic:

I'm seeing the new Broncos all over. The dealership near where I work has a bunch of Jeeps in the lot now where people obviously traded for a new Bronco.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Off-topic:

I'm seeing the new Broncos all over. The dealership near where I work has a bunch of Jeeps in the lot now where people obviously traded for a new Bronco.
I am a Jeep guy that owned a 4XE Wrangler that goes its first 20+ miles on all electric but the older I get the happier I am we traded into a Bronco as the doors are so much lighter and easier to remove

bundylove

I think its safe to say the pro sold over a million units worldwide so far.

Yes people might cancel their orders but i say they had a strong start and the interest is there.

Also 700 UD is nothing in the US . Prices are high accross the board so the price wont be a factor. Shit some of my sheet products went up from 202 a sheet to 320 in a year and wont ever come down. Shipping costs went up, oil and gas went up, israel war is in full force that will end up increasing global prices again and so on and so on.

Prices will continue to rise and by extension console prices will keep increasing so the 700 today is your best price for a while at least.

You also have the ability to sell your base ps5 and ad a few hundred towards the pro.
You can buy the pro also by paying in instalments ar amazon with no interest .

Or you can you some saved points like in my case TD bank points which used 400 bucks towards the pro.

Many ways to make the 700 tolerable.

What hurts the price is the blatant nickle and diming over a shit stand and the lack of disc drive.

Otherwise the pro is priced fairly

I hope we see some numbers next week

Brucey

PS4 Pro launched three years after PS4 and PS4 install base was approx 50 million units

PS5 Pro launches four years after PS5 and install base will be around 65 million. I could see pro hitting 20 million units before this generation is done, especially if Sony extends this Gen (no pressure from Xbox and switch 2 not pushing technical boundaries).

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
No you can pre order anywhere. Best buy walmart amazon etc.

Direct is not world wide. Not even canada has direct. Only US and some other european countries
Well I know u couldn’t at Best Buy’s website said preorders begin on 10/10 when checked and direct website says

“Get early pre-order access
September 26th - October 10th”

List all sites but direct as 10/10 as well

reinking

Gold Member
Well I know u couldn’t at Best Buy’s website said preorders begin on 10/10 when checked and direct website says

“Get early pre-order access
September 26th - October 10th”

List all sites but direct as 10/10 as well

Regions where PS Direct is available can preorder through PS direct now (when in stock) and other retailers starting 10/10. Other regions can preorder through retailers now. At least that is my understanding.

Technically, I guess the Pro cannot sell out until after that 10/10 launch date. Which is great because it would be great if everyone that wants one could get one. I have wondered if stock keeps popping up on PS Direct is because scalpers are releasing them. More great news if that is what is happening.

Last edited:
Top Bottom