• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro pre-orders go live |OT| [10/10 Pre-Order Links Updated In OP]

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I was pleasantly surprised how much I was able to get for my XSX at GameStop. Was able to get it for effectively $335. Had some good experiences playing Xbox titles I missed out on, but now that MS is going third party for many of their titles I’d rather buy them on the Pro where they’ll play better. I never really liked the GamePass model model much so I won’t miss it

I’ll trade in my PS5 in November for the Pro but I’ll probably get less since it’s a digital edition.

Still, Ybarra was right about the trade in deals lessening the blow for the cost of the Pro
A lot of people, like myself, likely trading in hardware for the current gen machines and again like myself will trade the pro on the PS6

I even traded my PS3 in for that PS4 that traded into the PS5

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
A lot of people, like myself, likely trading in hardware for the current gen machines and again like myself will trade the pro on the PS6

Yep I remember trading in my ps4 pro for a ps5 and still got around $250 for it

Old hardware seems to get you close to 50% value of new hardware

Over 8+ years you end up paying like $125/year to always have the best hardware

Worth it

FrankWza

People aren't able to see it like this. Consoles are the best value on the market.
It also makes sense from a risk standpoint. 8 years is a long time and a lot of consoles can crap out when your using them daily for hours at a time. If your console dies, you're looking at a full purchase of a new console. You would end up paying the same amount as a trade up to a Pro right now to get a standard PS5 in year 5 or 6 or 7. Even if the slim drops in price it's not going to be under $299 any time soon

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
It also makes sense from a risk standpoint. 8 years is a long time and a lot of consoles can crap out when your using them daily for hours at a time. If your console dies, you're looking at a full purchase of a new console. You would end up paying the same amount as a trade up to a Pro right now to get a standard PS5 in year 5 or 6 or 7. Even if the slim drops in price it's not going to be under $299 any time soon

The PS5 Pro is a complete no brainer, which is funny because so much narrative online suggests that the price is UNBELIEVABLE!

You'll get an extra year of warranty, a newer device as you mentioned, better performance, and better value for the trade in towards the PS6.

That year 5 PS5 standard is far more likely to break down than the brand new Pro (assuming there aren't production issues or cut corners).

Last edited:

Little Mac

Gold Member
I have a PS5 Slim that I want to sell or trade in for a Pro, but not before the Pro's launch because I having alot of fun with it atm. I also have a SSD drive installed that I'd need to take out and transplant to the Pro.

What are my best options? Preorder the Pro from Sony and sell the Slim on FB Marketplace or Craigslist after it arrives? Trade in Slim at GameStop post launch?

FrankWza

I have a PS5 Slim that I want to sell or trade in for a Pro, but not before the Pro's launch because I having alot of fun with it atm. I also have a SSD drive installed that I'd need to take out and transplant to the Pro.

What are my best options? Preorder the Pro from Sony and sell the Slim on FB Marketplace or Craigslist after it arrives? Trade in Slim at GameStop post launch?
I think Playstation direct also takes trade ins. Not sure of they value they offer. As far as maximizing it's possible that a place like gamestop could offer a trade-up deal for higher than they are currently offering on or around launch but it's also possible the trade value drops. I guess waiting is the best deal because you continue to be able to play and then you still have options to sell or trade and unless the value of both plummets you'll still get a decent amount.

jm89

Damn that's a steal! Is this a trustworthy site?
You will most likely get it but will take a bit longer as it's gonna get shipped from china.

Quality wont be as high as the official one, but considering it's such a simple low cost product to make it might be ok getting it from aliexpress.

If I do get it I'm definitely going third party, no way am I paying Sony £25 for that stand.

Last edited:

rsouzadk

PS5: 1TB SSD installed, 4TB external for PS4 games.

XSX: 1TB expansion card, 5TB+8TB external for XBO/BC games.

PC: 2TB SN850 Gen 4 SSD C: drive, 6TB D: drive, 4TB external.

You can never have enough storage.

pc: S70 1tb, 980 pro 2tb, p5 plus 2tb, s4510 1.92tb (x2), p5510 7.68tb, kioxia cd6r 7.68tb.

S70 2tb on ps5.

I think we're good man.

saintjules

Gold Member
Damn that's a steal! Is this a trustworthy site?

Yeah apparently. You can use PayPal worst case to shield yourself, but I saw people on era validating it.

Edit: Gambit2483 Gambit2483 so apparently looking at the box, it isn't the official Sony one. Would be too good to be true, but the design looks nearly identical.

Anyway, $5 is still not bad.

Last edited:

Luipadre

looking at the quality mode for sh2... the pro version can be *special*

im 7 hours in, but i already cant wait to replay this on the pro at 60 fps with PSSR. Thankfully the game looks like its gonna be a fun one to replay. No annoying puzzles or upgrades, pretty straight forward with really good pacing.

Last edited:
Just joined the PS5 Pro club... holding off on Silent Hill 2, Metaphor and Space Marine 2 to play it on there. Surprised you can still get it on PS Direct but it seems sold out everywhere else.

It's not on sale everywhere else right now

Pre-orders outside PS Direct start on Thursday

Last edited:

Zacfoldor

That's how I stayed in PC gaming so long during my WoW career. Buy once cry once and resell before it goes obsolete. It's how to stay in the game with minimal expenditure!

Interfectum

It's not on sale everywhere else right now

Pre-orders outside PS Direct start on Thursday
Schitts Creek Yes GIF by CBC

Going to get an order in through Gamestop and cancel my pro from PS Direct as I want to trade in a couple of PS5s

Then having lunch with a couple of friends in Terre Haute and maybe a round of golf and look around at the POIs the town has to offer
The problem with GameStop is you’re less likely to get the console at launch from them versus ps direct. I already saw someone on Twitter mention their local gs will only have 5 at launch.

I plan to sell my OG PS5 and a few things but I’m going to do that after I get my PS5 pro just to be on the safe side.

IMO the console will be harder to get after launch, in the past when a new console launches during the holidays and when the mass market realizes it out, the console usually sell out for the holidays and don’t get restocked until the first half of the new year.

Last edited:

saintjules

Gold Member
Going to get an order in through Gamestop and cancel my pro from PS Direct as I want to trade in a couple of PS5s

Then having lunch with a couple of friends in Terre Haute and maybe a round of golf and look around at the POIs the town has to offer

Yeah i might pre order via Best Buy now and cancel my direct too.

Kind of funny when you think about sitting in queue and they're still available on the site. I even think it will be available at launch.

saintjules

Gold Member
The problem with GameStop is you’re less likely to get the console at launch from them versus ps direct. I already saw someone on Twitter mention their local gs will only have 5 at launch.

I plan to sell my OG PS5 and a few things but I’m going to do that after I get my PS5 pro just to be on the safe side.

IMO the console will be harder to get after launch, in the past when a new console launches during the holidays and my mass market realizes it out, the console usually sell out for the holidays and don’t get restocked until the first half of the new year.

Yeah I personally wouldn't trade in my PS5. 1 because I like to keep my Consoles (collector-ish) and since we're early adopters of the Pro, you never know if it comes DOA or malfunctions. I'll have a backup in case.

IMO the console will be harder to get after launch, in the past when a new console launches during the holidays and my mass market realizes it out, the console usually sell out for the holidays and don’t get restocked until the first half of the new year.
Nah, Gamestop is less of a headache than dealing with ps direct for new consoles. I drove to the gamestop right by my house and physically secured my spot for a ps5. Sure it was a lot of waiting, but I'd rather do that than sitting in some online queue and fighting bots for a console.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Nah, Gamestop is less of a headache than dealing with ps direct for new consoles. I drove to the gamestop right by my house and physically secured my spot for a ps5. Sure it was a lot of waiting, but I'd rather do that than sitting in some online queue and fighting bots for a console.
In-store preorder will ALWAYS be better and more fair than fighting hopelessly online against bots that can make 30+ purchases in a matter of seconds

dmaul1114

In this case, the person they responded to already has PS Direct Preorder placed that they'll cancel if they get a Gamestop one placed.

I've got one in as well (were easy to get for the standard pro). I may cancel it if I can get an order in on Amazon though as I have some credit there from my Amazon Visa and would earn 5% back on the balance paying with that card.

Not a biggie for me if it comes after launch day as I'm pretty busy in November and have plenty to play on XSX and Switch while holding off on some PS5 games I want to play with the Pro boost.

saintjules

Gold Member
In-store preorder will ALWAYS be better and more fair than fighting hopelessly online against bots that can make 30+ purchases in a matter of seconds
Not if you have guys camping out the night before pre-orders go up. Not saying for the Pro in this case, but waiting on a line has never been a sure deal either.

I remember being outside Gamestop for the Series X back in 2020. They only had 12 pre-orders. Didn't get it. Then as I was walking back to my car I checked Walmart pre-order option and secured it right away.

DryvBy

Agree. I don't get the point of constantly having games installed that you are not playing.
I usually keep games installed I'm not entirely done with because I have too many games. And some games just need to stay on the console, like RDR2 or GTA V. Too long to reinstall if you want to play.

Agree. I don't get the point of constantly having games installed that you are not playing.

For me my main issue is my friends play a random amount of games. So they'll randomly want to play smite out of nowhere. It's not a huge issue anymore since I have close to 1G internet but it was a PIA back in the day. Now I can download most big games in like 15 mins.

sono

Gold Member
That year 5 PS5 standard is far more likely to break down than the brand new Pro (assuming there aren't production issues or cut corners
Actually.. if consumer electronics last 5 years chances are it is good for long term. The new pro is unproven long term reliability and for any new system a proportion will suffer from early life failures happen...because they do.

Top Bottom