• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Pricing Discussion Thread

diffusionx

Gold Member
Sony is loosing all of the goodwill obtained during the PS4 era (and end of PS3 era)

From the focus on GAAS games, lack of huge AAA singleplayer games this gen, to underwhelming titles and expensive hardware, they look lost.

Management needs to change asap. Feels like they are speedrunning a disaster

I dont see PS6 selling nowhere near as well as PS4/PS5 if they dont get their shit together
I don't understand how they are losing their goodwill, at least with PS5 Pro. For years in this forum, I have been reading about how the PS5 and Xbox suck, they're too weak, FSR blows, base resolution is ass, we need a Pro system. Well here's a Pro system lol. It's expensive because gaming hardware is more expensive now. Either (A) pay the money to get the console, (B) pay more for a PC, or (C) try to find a way to love PS5 with 720p and FSR2. This console is not going to play a single game the regular PS5 won't. It's a choice everyone can make. If you want better graphics pay for it. If you're happy with PS5's graphics, then the Pro literally does not matter.

Last edited:

ZehDon

PS3 was expensive but it was justifiable. Cell was R&D by Sony, and was like nothing else at the time...
... except it made the entire console worse for an entire generation, resulted in virtually every third party game being worse, and ignored the development impact on developers. The result was the worst performing PlayStation console ever. PS3 was disaster, salvaged by the rose tinted glasses of hindsight.
PS6 will be left over PC parts sold overpriced.
With Sony basically being the console market now, they're in a position to force through whatever they want. They tried it with the PS3, and I imagine we'll see their attempts again with the PS6.
... They wont go bankrupt, of course, but they wont expand their userbase with these decisions. And they leave some margin for competition.
As much as people sling shit on Phil Spencer, he's absolutely correct when he says the console market hasn't grown. Period. Sony can fake growth with its current strategy of charging more and delivering less, resulting in more profits. But that's a short lived trick, and we're seeing it already start to push people away. Their next trick to fake growth will be eating whatever's left of Microsoft market share, and given they're won the console war, I imagine next generation is the last "Xbox" we ever see in a console format. If you want a console, it'll be a PlayStation because there won't be anything else.
Xbox 360 was a success due to Sony's PS3 misstep at the beginning of that gen, after all.
There's no one left. No one's entering the market to compete with Sony. There's no companies willing to take the enormous losses needed to establish a console platform. Microsoft got it's teeth kicked in, and Nintendo walked away. Sony won the console war.

Been thinking about this and I have to say that my issue with PS5 Pro is not about price. It is about configuration.

Look at these two configurations. One of them folks are pissed about. The other, I doubt they would be very much at all.

-PS5 Pro, 2TB SSD, No disc drive, $699
-PS5 Pro, 1TB SSD, Disc drive included, $699

If that second choice would have been offered up yesterday then I would have no complaints. Hell, Sony could have offered up both of those as choices I'd been fine. Just don't like the option we have.

I think Sony wants to find out how many people really want the disk drive. As in make the effort to buy the additional SKU and install it, etc. And since they are tracking who actually installs it (and not just scalpers buying the drive, hoping for a quick profit)

2 TB vs 1 TB is a separate discussion I think.

Topher

Gold Member
I think Sony wants to find out how many people really want the disk drive. As in make the effort to buy the additional SKU and install it, etc. And since they are tracking who actually installs it (and not just scalpers buying the drive, hoping for a quick profit)

2 TB vs 1 TB is a separate discussion I think.

Very well could be the case. That was a really quick hit yesterday. I wonder if they are trying to see which way the winds are blowing for this thing.

scydrex

Been thinking about this and I have to say that my issue with PS5 Pro is not about price. It is about configuration.

Look at these two configurations. One of them folks are pissed about. The other, I doubt they would be very much at all.

-PS5 Pro, 2TB SSD, No disc drive, $699
-PS5 Pro, 1TB SSD, Disc drive included, $699

If that second choice would have been offered up yesterday then I would have no complaints. Hell, Sony could have offered up both of those as choices I'd been fine. Just don't like the option we have.
I would have been easier for me $699 with the disc drive. Don't care about the 2TB really. 1TB es enough for me if i wanted more then would add an SSD and problem solved.

XXL

I would have been easier for me $699 with the disc drive. Don't care about the 2TB really. 1TB es enough for me if i wanted more then would add an SSD and problem solved.
Yeah, I think 1TB is enough as well and could have been a smart way for them to reduce the price.

I'm never playing 10+ games at the same time on PS5 ever.

scydrex

Yeah, I think 1TB is enough as well and could have been a smart way for them to reduce the price.

I'm never playing 10+ games at the same time on PS5 ever.
Me neither even if they would have lowered the price to $650 with 1TB at least would have been closer to the $600 a lot of people thought it would cost (including me). I want a Pro but those 9min video is not enough to sell me a Pro as it's.

XXL

Me neither even if they would have lowered the price to $650 with 1TB at least would have been closer to the $600 a lot of people thought it would cost (including me). I want a Pro but those 9min video is not enough to sell me a Pro as it's.
Just curiously did watch the IGN video of the presentation that is 4K? It was much better in terms of what to expect from the Pro.

If not, here it is.

The jump is more substantial than the presentation initially made it look like imo.

I agree though, I still want to see more and I'm also interested in the gain for PSVR 2.

Last edited:

John Wick

Euro price is kinda crazy but the components are extremely expensive who knows how much this costs to make.

iPhone 15 Pro was like 1500€ and my C4 42" OLED TV was 1400€ but had discount to 1099€.

Things are pretty expensive, I was looking at 4090 and it's a crazy 2029,90 €.
Shhhh don't commit blasphemy. It's ok when Nvidia do it as PC only gamers love to pay them inflated prices. It's only a problem when Sony does it for their latest console.

John Wick

PS3 was expensive but it was justifiable. Cell was R&D by Sony, and was like nothing else at the time.

PS6 will be left over PC parts sold overpriced.

And I disagree. They are their own competition. They wont go bankrupt, of course, but they wont expand their userbase with these decisions. And they leave some margin for competition.

Xbox 360 was a success due to Sony's PS3 misstep at the beginning of that gen, after all.
People still don't get it, Sony were selling the PS3 at a loss. A big loss.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Shhhh don't commit blasphemy. It's ok when Nvidia do it as PC only gamers love to pay them inflated prices. It's only a problem when Sony does it for their latest console.
People still don't get it, Sony were selling the PS3 at a loss. A big loss.
Who's fault is it for taking big losses on PS3? Are you blaming customers? Seems like a Sony business choice to me.

If Sony is trying to improve profit margins by jacking up PS5 Pro and also taking away disc drive and stand hoping they rebuy them, dont blame the customer for interpreting it as a giant price hike. Also Europe got boosted an extra 100 bucks even beyond exchange rates and tax. Why the big cash grab boost?

Sony set a pricing strategy with PS4 and PS4 Pro, and recent PS5 systems as pretty similar. So when people see a jump to $700 US and 800 Euros with no drive and stand either, people's eyes pop.

If a company selling old and recent soups historically for 99 cents is losing money, but for sake of making profits they have to now charge $1.79 for new stuff going forward, why would any soup drinker give a shit if they sold for a loss before. All they care is the new soup is now 80% more.

Last edited:

odhiex

I think this is pretty much the 80% of Internet for the next 2-3 months, lol. By next year, the arguments will be about pixels and framerates in the Digital Foundry threads

Ywap

I think it's a fair price but i would rather see 899- 999 Euro with a much faster cpu.

A true 60fps monster for those willing to pay for a greatly enhanced experience 💪

Last edited:

John Wick

Who's fault is it for taking big losses on PS3? Are you blaming customers? Seems like a Sony business choice to me.

If Sony is trying to improve profit margins by jacking up PS5 Pro and also taking away disc drive and stand hoping they rebuy them, dont blame the customer for interpreting it as a giant price hike. Also Europe got boosted an extra 100 bucks even beyond exchange rates and tax. Why the big cash grab boost?

Sony set a pricing strategy with PS4 and PS4 Pro, and recent PS5 systems as pretty similar. So when people see a jump to $700 US and 800 Euros with no drive and stand either, people's eyes pop.

If a company selling old and recent soups historically for 99 cents is losing money, but for sake of making profits they have to now charge $1.79 for new stuff going forward, why would any soup drinker give a shit if they sold for a loss before. All they care is the new soup is now 80% more.
Exactly just don't buy it if it's too expensive for you. Alternatively write to Sony to include the drive and stand in the price if it bothers you that much.

Darchaos

I was gonna buy 2, one for the cabin and one to just keep unboxed. But this just seems to be a shitstain, and i already have enough of thoose.

Woopah

That's not going to happen this time.

The PS4 Pro was excellent value for money, it was the same price as the PS4 three years earlier. In Europe the PS4 Slim cost 299 euro and the PS4 Pro cost 399 euro and despite a small 100 euro price difference most people opted for the cheaper console.

So what do you think is going to happen when people now have to choose between a 420 euro PS5 Slim and a 800 euro PS5 Pro? The sticker shock is even worse in Japan where the yen isn't worth a damn.
Ok well see when the numbers come in.
I believe it will be maybe 10%.
The PS4 Pro was the same price as launch PS4 if i remember correctly, this is not the case with PS5 Pro.
But this costs 3X as much and more than double what the base PS5 was here just a few years ago.
Apologies, I should have given a better comparison.

PS4 Pro launched in holiday 2016. In 2017, it made up 22.9% of all PS4s sold.

PS5 Pro will launch in holiday 2024. In 2025, I expect it to make up lower % of PS5s sold (10% - 20%).

sono

Gold Member
This is for their enthusiastic crowd.
I keep reading that on here for folk as the price defense. That has never happened historically
The majority of folk just don't traditionally spend much more then 500 on a games console for the living room

It won't sell numbers at this price folk have other priorities

akira__

Banned
Mark Cerny has finally revealed the PS5 Pro, and I think most would call that reveal lackluster at best.

While much is still unclear, we are not yet aware of what effect the Pro console will have on game performance, particularly regarding PSSR. Will PSSR be toggleable? Will it work on older games?

That said, the initial dust has settled, and there seems to be a consensus among those against the console that the price is too high.

Price is a integral part of any product.

DF's John (who has been against the idea of the Pro) had a double take in the last few days, being positive about the console's effect on FF7 Rebirth's performance, but also created a video calling out the high price.

Destin, the prolific IGN Xbox personality, has stated to Richard of DF that the price is too much and that he might go the PC build route instead.

Interestingly, both Destin and John have, after those statements against the price, still admitted their intent to buy the console.

Thus, the question for everyone to discuss: from PlayStation's viewpoint, is the price too high if, even after a lackluster reveal, it will still sell out?

Is the price too high? Will it still be success with that price?

Edit 1:
Added the option: " Interested, and build a better pc"

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I've been wanting to discuss this
What's one more thread?

Will Smith Comedy GIF by Bad Boys For Life

;)

Mahavastu

i guess I wait for a price drop.

Here in Germany the price for the disc less PS5 Pro is 800€, which is double the launch price of the disc less PS5, and I doubt the manufacturing costs should be not much higher than for the base PS5 at launch. Reduce the price by 200-300€ and I am in.

But tbh, I see that it is a nice console and I would appreciate the better image alot. Some of the games I played on PS5 had pretty bad image quality in performance mode

RoadHazard

Gold Member
EU price is ridiculous. I'm gonna need the disc drive as well, so I'm looking at like 950€ (or like 11K SEK, if not more - we usually get even higher prices than the Euro price).

I want one, but I don't think I can do that.

Last edited:

Brucey

I'm preordering as a married guy in his mid 40s who's been with PS since PS1. If I was at my PS1 age I'd be sad as I wouldn't have the available funds.

Markio128

Gold Member
It is what it is. However, even though I can afford it, dropping £699.99 a month before Xmas would feel irresponsible. I’ll probably pick one up around March 2025.

Zathalus

I’ll probably get it when there is a new PlayStation exclusive that I care about. So next year sometime I guess, depends on what games drop.

Oh look, another fucking thread about the PS5 Pro... Because we haven't had enough threads talking about this and the stupid price already...

In all seriousness, I think it's already pretty clear where most sensible people stand with this.

I am hoping they announce more first party games for next year. At least do a showcase this year. Because I don’t see myself picking this up just to replay old games.

The lack of new first party games would make this a $700 paper weight for me until next year so no point in buying this on day one.

hinch7

Too expensive and unnessesary but then I'm not in the market for refresh generations. Much like how this generation has gone for most part with remasters and remakes.

Guess I'm also falling out of interest with consoles and it doesn't have to do with hardware, more than the games themselves and exclusives. Or lack-thereof.

Last edited:

Damigos

Everyone said the price is too high.
Wait until December and see it sell like hotcakes, especially if series 5000 RTXs start at around 1000 €
Btw, i chose interested but not now

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Already have a capable PC, so not interested unless cool exclusives start popping up.

Top Bottom