• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Pricing Discussion Thread

Hugare

Sony is loosing all of the goodwill obtained during the PS4 era (and end of PS3 era)

From the focus on GAAS games, lack of huge AAA singleplayer games this gen, to underwhelming titles and expensive hardware, they look lost.

Management needs to change asap. Feels like they are speedrunning a disaster

I dont see PS6 selling nowhere near as well as PS4/PS5 if they dont get their shit together

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
They also didn't give the option for a cheaper 1TB version that could have been $100/£100 less and would have also have greatly reduced the negative PR (coupled with a fairer Euro price).
My biggest fear with all of this is they gonna pull the same crap with PS6. I can easily just ignore Pro version since essentially same system but I can’t with PS6.

Chopino

Neo Member
If you actually thought the PS5, a $400 system, was going to play games at 4k60 across the board, then that's on you.
Ratched & clank and returnal run at 4K (rescaled) at 60 fps, the same thing that will happen with many other games now on the PlayStation Pro while original owners will play at sub 1440p and 30fps.

What a dirty move!

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

My biggest fear with all of this is they gonna pull the same crap with PS6. I can easily just ignore Pro version since essentially same system but I can’t with PS6.
I expect the PS6 be around this price because the kind of CPU/GPU and other things they will put in the PS6 will be much more powerful than the PS5 Pro and then there's inflation etc... Providing all that in a next gen console at break even and I think it will probably be somewhere between $599-$799...

From a pricing point I think consoles can still offer great value compared to PC at these prices, but they should at least be much more consumer friendly and do some of the following:
  • Give the option for a lower priced 1TB version on day 1
  • Include the stand at no extra cost ffs!
  • Include the disc drive or at least sell the disc drive at a much lower price than it is now and make a committment to physical games as the market is big
  • Apply fairer currency conversions because every other market outside of the US is getting shafted
  • Full BC and enhancements for older games

Last edited:

Alebrije

Guess one factor people from US is suffering now is inflation.

Past decades US hardly had it and even there were deflation years. The inflation rates from 2021 to 2024 are crazy with a peak of 8.4 % between 22-23.

This has affected electronics , usually hardware trend to be chaper the older it get (GPU,CPU). but inflation is eating those "savings"

Also it seems Sony won't sell at loss the PRO like happens with regular new generation consoles.

This two factors shows the real price of a current Console. Maybe for PS6 Will sacrifice 100 US and sell at $600 digital Console with 2TB. And 700 with disc drive.

Anyway inflation is something new for US consumers and must be take in count for future consoles.

Ronin_7

Sony is loosing all of the goodwill obtained during the PS4 era (and end of PS3 era)

From the focus on GAAS games, lack of huge AAA singleplayer games this gen, to underwhelming titles and expensive hardware, they look lost.

I dont see PS6 selling nowhere near as well as PS4/PS5 if they dont get their shit together
Brady Bunch Jan GIF by MOODMAN

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
So which games ran at 4K native and which games ran at 60fps locked?
As explained to you before current market conditions dictate what you can build at what price. It's clear you have no clue. Prices have risen steeply in the last 4-5 years. Why don't you build us a console with more power than a PS5 Pro and cheaper as well??? Clearly you seem to know more than everyone else.
When did I say native 4k? Stop putting words in my mouth. It doesn't have to be native 4k for upscaled 4k to have a noticeable difference from 1080p. Hell, even the PS5 Pro upscales.

Which games ran at 60 FPS on PS4 Pro? Here, let me Google that for you:

Several games added 60 FPS performance modes. If you want to move the goal posts and ask which games ran at "locked" 60 FPS, I don't know, and I'm not going to bother making a list. You should look it up. The PS5 launched with and continues to have several games with 60 FPS performance modes that have occasional dips, so it's a bit ridiculous to expect the 60 FPS to be locked in every game with a performance mode on PS4 Pro. Especially when we don't even know that the performance modes will be locked on the PS5 Pro since it's still using the same CPU as the PS5.

Ronin_7

I see people are already back to using the price chart with no inflation adjustment.

Euro price should be 50 less since tax is already included. That would be about the same as US average with tax applied.
Euro price is kinda crazy but the components are extremely expensive who knows how much this costs to make.

iPhone 15 Pro was like 1500€ and my C4 42" OLED TV was 1400€ but had discount to 1099€.

Things are pretty expensive, I was looking at 4090 and it's a crazy 2029,90 €.

I don't like the price more then anybody else but unfortunately considering today's economic climate it doesn't surprise me.

Sony already increased the price of the base console basically everywhere once due to inflation (I believe everywhere but the US got hit with the OG, but the Slim Digital went up $50 here too). I also think that they know it's a much more niche product just like the PS4 Pro was (wasn't it like 15% or sales or something?) and they can make money on every console versus breaking even or losing money.

It sucks, but the days of consoles and electronics dropping price over time is basically over. Basically all flagship phones are basically $1K now, GPU pricing just goes up and up, and even stuff like laptops have gone up. This is the norm for consume electronics unfortunately.

Katajx

First it was $70, then PSN increased its prices also dramatically, the consoles, and now the peripherals.

I personally done enjoy feeling fleeced and like someone is trying to milk me dry.

The problem with most of this is the perceived reality that I am being asked to continually pay more for less and it hasn’t stopped at a single one of these things.

It’s completely understandable for people to be upset about these things. A product being priced higher does not mean it is of a higher quality. People will try to sell you shit and convince you it’s gold lol

coolmast3r

Kinda crazy that people don't see this happening.

Kerotan

This is scalper protection, good guy Sony looking after poor consumers.
Literally. Imagine Sony sold this at a loss at 600 just to keep the nerds happy or included a disc drive and sold for 700.

They'd take in 2 billion less dollars for the first 10M sold. That's a lot of money especially when they might have plans to acquire another publisher.

Hugare

The amount of negativity after the price announcement doesnt tell you anything? 150k thumbs down on the official video.

Plus the amount of people complaining about the lack of big first party titles for quite a while now.

Sure Jan GIF

I speak for myself, as someone that always bought a Playstation on launch date, that I wont be buying a PS6 if things dont change.

We will see the results in time

Last edited:

SHA

The amount of negativity after the price announcement doesnt tell you anything? 150k thumbs down on the official video.

Plus the amount of people complaining about the lack of big first party titles for quite a while now.

Sure Jan GIF

I speak for myself, as someone that always bought a Playstation on launch date, that I wont be buying a PS6 if things dont change.

We will see the results in time
HHH: it's about the games and how you play it.......

Topher

Gold Member
Been thinking about this and I have to say that my issue with PS5 Pro is not about price. It is about configuration.

Look at these two configurations. One of them folks are pissed about. The other, I doubt they would be very much at all.

-PS5 Pro, 2TB SSD, No disc drive, $699
-PS5 Pro, 1TB SSD, Disc drive included, $699

If that second choice would have been offered up yesterday then I would have no complaints. Hell, Sony could have offered up both of those as choices I'd been fine. Just don't like the option we have.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Been thinking about this and I have to say that my issue with PS5 Pro is not about price. It is about configuration.

Look at these two configurations. One of them folks are pissed about. The other, I doubt they would be very much at all.

If that second choice would have been offered up yesterday then I would have no complaints. Hell, Sony could have offered up both of those as choices I'd been fine. Just don't like the option we have.
I would definitely consider upgrading to the Pro if it included the disc drive in the price, even if it only had a 1TB SSD. 1TB -> 2TB upgrade doesn't really interest me much, but my hype deflated quickly learning that this was digital only and required an additional purchase to play my games

Topher

Gold Member
I would definitely consider upgrading to the Pro if it included the disc drive in the price, even if it only had a 1TB SSD. 1TB -> 2TB upgrade doesn't really interest me much, but my hype deflated quickly learning that this was digital only and required an additional purchase to play my games

Same. Obviously they went with the configuration with best profit margin. Disappointing.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Same. Obviously they went with the configuration with best profit margin. Disappointing.
And obviously this would be a total non-issue for me if the base OG disc model had the same drive that I could just disconnect from my current PS5 and install into the new one. Guess I should have just waited for the slim. Or just not bought any physical games.

Fuck Me Right I Know GIF

bundylove

Just want to raise some awareness on a couple things.

Number 1 , if this system is using AI upscale and such you will need to be online at all times. This also kills physical games . Maybe it works offline but i cant imagine.

Secondly, will they charge for AI down the line like it will be the case witj samsung and google phones. I have an s24 ultra and it says that the AI service will be billable at the end of 2025.

What are your thoughts on this and are you worried there will be more hidden cost coming to us down the line or will this fall into their subscription service?

Please share

Topher

Gold Member
Just want to raise some awareness on a couple things.

Number 1 , if this system is using AI upscale and such you will need to be online at all times. This also kills physical games . Maybe it works offline but i cant imagine.

Secondly, will they charge for AI down the line like it will be the case witj samsung and google phones. I have an s24 ultra and it says that the AI service will be billable at the end of 2025.

What are your thoughts on this and are you worried there will be more hidden cost coming to us down the line or will this fall into their subscription service?

Please share

This is not online AI. It has machine learning hardware.

bundylove

This is not online AI. It has machine learning hardware.
We dont truly know in my mind. They never explained to us how pssr works.

I hope you are right though. But its concern of mine given how other devices need to be online for AI use.

bender

What time is it?

I think people would still complain or be disinterested. The same might have been true at $599 with your second configuration. It kind of feels like the days of price drops being over, or at least aggressive price drops towards the end of the generation. I think the smarter play would have been to make a Pro targeting the original PS5 launch price of $499 and designed it around more modest upgrades. The problem with Pro models is that most publishers/developers aren't going to upgrade their back catalog to take advantage of these new specs and if the sell through is poor, most publishers/developers aren't going to try to take advantage of the newer hardware either. I guess that's all relative to how easy it is to utilize the new feature set, but you are always going to focus where most of the audience is anyway. That said, I was mostly against the idea of upgrading to a Pro personally, but that price point probably cements my decision so take my thoughts with a huge grain of salt. Further, with most games being cross generation these days, my plan for my next Playstation being the PS6 Pro seems like an easy decision.

bundylove

Not sure but i read that ML and also dlss does require some online connection where data is acquired and is utilized to update the best predictor for future data at eaxh step.

I would assume you do need to go online here and there to get the best result?

You say all this but their revenue is higher than ever. They've already made more this gen then they ever have in PS history. The problem with all the complaints on this site is that Sony just keeps making more money.

On top of that the reality is there is no other choice other than to just go to PC gaming and while some may be ok with that I sure as hell wont be going to PC gaming and plenty of other people wont either. They'll just look at the Pro and say nah, I'll just get the normal PS5 and move on with their life.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

That's my main complaint right now.

They should've offered a 1TB digital for $649 and a 1TB disc version for $699.

Topher

Gold Member
We dont truly know in my mind. They never explained to us how pssr works.

I hope you are right though. But its concern of mine given how other devices need to be online for AI use.

This is existing tech in other GPUs. This is like DLSS. Not the same as what you are thinking. Does not need to be online. We already know this.

Does DLSS require an internet connection to work?​

No, DLSS does not require an internet connection to work. The AI models and algorithms used for DLSS are stored locally on your computer, so if you have a compatible NVIDIA® graphics card and the necessary drivers installed, DLSS can be utilized offline.

Last edited:

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Not sure but i read that ML and also dlss does require some online connection where data is acquired and is utilized to update the best predictor for future data at eaxh step.

I would assume you do need to go online here and there to get the best result?
the AI is trained on datacenters at NVIDIA then they give you the results with the updated drivers

XXL

if this system is using AI upscale and such you will need to be online at all times. This also kills physical games . Maybe it works offline but i cant imagine.
It will require a ChatGPT plus account to access max frame rate.
Super Freak Flirting GIF by Rick James

Last edited:

Unknown?

Guess one factor people from US is suffering now is inflation.

Past decades US hardly had it and even there were deflation years. The inflation rates from 2021 to 2024 are crazy with a peak of 8.4 % between 22-23.

This has affected electronics , usually hardware trend to be chaper the older it get (GPU,CPU). but inflation is eating those "savings"

Also it seems Sony won't sell at loss the PRO like happens with regular new generation consoles.

This two factors shows the real price of a current Console. Maybe for PS6 Will sacrifice 100 US and sell at $600 digital Console with 2TB. And 700 with disc drive.

Anyway inflation is something new for US consumers and must be take in count for future consoles.
Inflation is ALWAYS a thing in a debt based monetary system. That 8.4% is simply cooked numbers, the people know it is worse.

At 2%(which is what all the mainstream economists love) inflation target, it only takes 36 years for your purchasing power to halve. So 36 years from now 100USD could only buy the equivalent to 50USD.

Before my time a nickel could buy candy.

Last edited:

Hugare

You say all this but their revenue is higher than ever. They've already made more this gen then they ever have in PS history. The problem with all the complaints on this site is that Sony just keeps making more money.

On top of that the reality is there is no other choice other than to just go to PC gaming and while some may be ok with that I sure as hell wont be going to PC gaming and plenty of other people wont either. They'll just look at the Pro and say nah, I'll just get the normal PS5 and move on with their life.
You are being short sighted

The butterfly effect of their mistakes will take some time for full effect. People have bought their PS5's already, so they either sell their consoles or go "eh, since I already have it, lets see what they got until the end of the gen" (where I'm at right now).

I sure as hell wont be an early PS6 adopter, tho. And I doubt that many people arent feeling the same.

As I said before, they are reaping the goodwill they've earned with PS4 and late PS3. And they are using the same IPs that they've created during that era.

What successful new IP has Sony created this gen? I love Returnal, but in terms of sales, it was a failure. If they keep using the same IPs, people will get tired of them just like what happened with Xbox's Halo or Gears. See how they are milking the Horizon franchise, despite it being a decade old.

Sony got lazy and arrogant. And in capitalism, thats not good at all in the long term.

Spot on, brother. A bunch of us have already utilized the ssd expansion slot anyway, so a Pro with a 1tb isn't even a big deal. We just swap our current NVME's into the pro and call it a day.

Swapping my launch PS5's disc drive, however.....

Last edited:

bundylove

Either way you spin it, the pro is more for large tv's where you lose a lot of detail at low res since its blowen up . Maybe thats their target and that why the price is where its at.

I mean i read here that a lot of people still rock 1080 p screens or 4k 60hz screens.
For those people the pro makes no difference.

Either way you spin it, the pro is more for large tv's where you lose a lot of detail at low res since its blowen up . Maybe thats their target and that why the price is where its at.

I mean i read here that a lot of people still rock 1080 p screens or 4k 60hz screens.

Yeah the difference is really going to be obvious at larger TVs and/or games that use lower resolutions.
I play CoD MW multiplayer a lot at 1080p @ 120hz. The picture quality is appalling. I expect that Pro will make it much better. But for a lot of games, particularly PS4-era games, the difference will be less obvious.

Topher

Gold Member

PC gamers use 1080p screens for higher frame rates, not console gamers. 4K 60hz screens will see the difference since every image is upscaled to 4K and most performance modes target 60fps.

bundylove

PC gamers use 1080p screens for higher frame rates, not console gamers. 4K 60hz screens will see the difference since every image is upscaled to 4K and most performance modes target 60fps.
120hz vrr does help on big tvs with judder. I switched from 65 to 85 and it hurts my eyes. And judder is more obvious at 30fps but also present in 60 without vrr.

People dont realise how much vrr helps in many games not to mention the 40 and 120fps options only work on 120 hz tvs.

To that note i hope we see a permanent 40 fps option on 120hz tvs . It made a huge differ3nce to me in some games to get better image quality and more detail at a more fluid refresh rate.

ZehDon

While I agree that Sony are selling their goodwill, I don't think they have much to worry about. They can do and charge whatever they want at this point - no one's putting up effective competition.

I can't wait to see the PS6. I'm expecting a PS3-2 and it will be glorious.

Hugare

While I agree that Sony are selling their goodwill, I don't think they have much to worry about. They can do and charge whatever they want at this point - no one's putting up effective competition.

I can't wait to see the PS6. I'm expecting a PS3-2 and it will be glorious.
PS3 was expensive but it was justifiable. Cell was R&D by Sony, and was like nothing else at the time.

PS6 will be left over PC parts sold overpriced.

And I disagree. They are their own competition. They wont go bankrupt, of course, but they wont expand their userbase with these decisions. And they leave some margin for competition.

Xbox 360 was a success due to Sony's PS3 misstep at the beginning of that gen, after all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom