• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Pricing Discussion Thread

R6Rider

Gold Member
I see people are already back to using the price chart with no inflation adjustment.

Euro price should be 50 less since tax is already included. That would be about the same as US average with tax applied.

Last edited:
frustrated the missing GIF by STARZ

Interfectum

Sony's fault. They positioned it wrong. They were too busy comparing to PS4 games instead of attacking PC gaming directly. Give us side by side video of PS5 Pro running Cyberpunk vs a 4090. Show us what it can do and, if it's able, should shut down the discussion pretty fast.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I think it's the lack of disc drive and the stand tbh. If both were included it would be an easier pill to swallow.

100% this. £699 with the disk drive and stand and I would have been in day one! - I have two Disk OG PS5s and the thought of having to buy the disk drive (I have quite a few PS4/PS5 games on disk) is just too much. £830 for a marginal upgrade is pushing it too far and I'm someone who spends my money flippantly. If I am struggling then I cant imagine what it is going to be like for the mass market.

It will 100% sell out day one, but that doesnt mean shit really.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I'm primarily speaking about NA prices.

The prices in EU do seem too expensive.

I should have clarified that in the OP.

PS4 (2013): $399
PS4 Pro (2016): $399
PS5 Digital (2020):$399
PS5 Pro (2024): $699

It's still shit.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Sony's fault. They positioned it wrong. They were too busy comparing to PS4 games instead of attacking PC gaming directly. Give us side by side video of PS5 Pro running Cyberpunk vs a 4090. Show us what it can do and, if it's able, should shut down the discussion pretty fast.

Also this, how did Sony not get CDPR to have a patch ready and show us how this thing stacks up against a 4070 PC or something?

XXL

PS4 (2013): $399
PS4 Pro (2016): $399
PS5 Digital (2020):$399
PS5 Pro (2024): $699

It's still shit.
With inflation? Absolutely not.

Like I said, it's about $250 for an extra 1TB of storage and a better GPU.

Probably even closer to $200 if you factor inflation.

I agree with the point that EU pricing is too much though.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I personally think it is too expensive but the bigger issue in my mind is that the price point will hamper adoption rate which in turn will hamper publishers/studios willingness to properly utilize the hardware advantages it offers.

Like I said, it's about $250 for an extra 1TB of storage and a better GPU.
Better GPU than what? A console from 4 years ago?

This logic is so flawed yet I keep seeing it in every thread.

By this ridiculous logic, PS6 should be $999 because it’ll have a much better CPU, GPU, and RAM than the 4-year-old PS5 Pro when it comes out in 2028.

Crazy how the iPhone 16 Pro has much better specs and features than the iPhone 12 Pro yet it costs the exact same amount to buy one at launch. You’d think it would be $2000 with all how much better the specs are!

Last edited:

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
Sony failed here in 2 key areas:
  1. This is where those goddamned PC ports become a problem. You've created a comparative case that is difficult to make.
  2. Showing a bunch of early PS5/crossgen/late PS4 titles is not driving enthusiasm.
Other than that, I'm not surprised by the price. 4 years of record inflation after 15 preceding years of regular inflation with stagnant prices, technological plateaus, vastly increased chip demand outside of vidya, and assorted international fuckery all means that the days of quickly and deeply depreciating hardware and subsidization are over. Microsoft isn't charging 600 dollars for the Series X+2TB because they have leeway.

Despite being priced at mass market level, PS4 Pro didn't sell more than 12 million units. Sony's clearly looked at that, and decided to make a more significant upgrade and price it accordingly. If they werent making a profit on this thing, it wouldn't exist.

They've also clearly looked at the digital ratio and decided splitting off the disc drive is worth it, and gamers only have themselves to blame for that. You can't buy the supermajority of games digitally and not expect the business to shift in that direction.

King Dazzar

I personally think it is too expensive but the bigger issue in my mind is that the price point will hamper adoption rate which in turn will hamper publishers/studios willingness to properly utilize the hardware advantages it offers.
That was my concern too. I'm still diving in regardless. But yeah, what happens if support fizzles out.

sainraja

Their big mistake is the 2TB SSD, they could've knocked 100€ off the price with a 1TB. Let people buy their own storage. I already have a 2TB drive in my PS5 that I could just move over to the Pro, I'm sure that's the case for many potential buyers.

I feel like MS pressured them into it with their 2TB Series X model.
I am not sure if MS pressured them into choosing 2TB, however, if they were going to make disc drive optional, then they had to go with 2TB.

XXL

Better GPU than what? A console from 4 years ago?
The price of PS5 right now.

It's crazy to think it's a flaw in logic, while you want to exclude the price of what the base model actually costs.....that's a flaw in logic more than anything. Get real.

sainraja

Sony failed here in 2 key areas:
  1. This is where those goddamned PC ports become a problem. You've created a comparative case that is difficult to make.
  2. Showing a bunch of early PS5/crossgen/late PS4 titles is not driving enthusiasm.
Other than that, I'm not surprised by the price. 4 years of record inflation after 15 preceding years of regular inflation with stagnant prices, technological plateaus, vastly increased chip demand outside of vidya, and assorted international fuckery all means that the days of quickly and deeply depreciating hardware and subsidization are over. Microsoft isn't charging 600 dollars for the Series X+2TB because they have leeway.

Despite being priced at mass market level, PS4 Pro didn't sell more than 12 million units. Sony's clearly looked at that, and decided to make a more significant upgrade and price it accordingly. If they werent making a profit on this thing, it wouldn't exist.

They've also clearly looked at the digital ratio and decided splitting off the disc drive is worth it, and gamers only have themselves to blame for that. You can't buy the supermajority of games digitally and not expect the business to shift in that direction.
I think it basically comes down to the bolded part. They are also a business after all... and our hobby wouldn't exist if companies weren't able to make a profit.

Last edited:

sainraja

It's because it was a bad presentation, announcing it with new games with impressive graphics would have helped instead of showing ps4 remasters

The US price is okay but the EU price is not
We are paying 799€ and the Disc drive costs 120€
That over $1000
Yeah. They needed to show the Pro with a new title designed for the PS5/Pro. Perhaps there is still time for that. We will see.

Its amazing at how many ways people try to justify this.
People have to decide for themselves if they want the Pro or not. If you don't want it, and don't see value in what is being offered, it is perfectly fine to choose not to get it.

Last edited:

nial

PS4 Pro sold 1.5M units over there, so I'm expecting 800K-1M for PS5 Pro (also with the fact that it's being released later in its lifecycle).

The price of PS5 right now.

It's crazy to think it's a flaw in logic, while you want to exclude the price of what the base model actually costs.....that's a flaw in logic more than anything. Get real.
Ah yes the PS5, the only console in history to not only not drop in price after 4 years, but has actually gone up.

It’s almost like the console makers have suddenly decided they’re done taking losses on these machines and want as much profit as possible. It’s almost like the business model has completely changed this generation.

PS5 and Series X are the only tech in that came out in 2020 that cost the same asking price (or more) 4 years later.

We are living in unprecedented times when it comes to the console gaming space, and Sony just hit us with an unprecedented price for a disappointing mid-gen console.

Last edited:

XXL

Its amazing at how many ways people try to justify this.
So address the argument.

EU pricing sucks, I acknowledge that.

In the US.

Is $250 more than the PS5 is right now expensive for a better GPU and an extra 1TB of storage? Because I don't think it is.

Because that's the argument I'm making.

XXL

Ah yes the PS5, the only console in history to not only not drop in price after 4 years, but has actually gone up.
So now you're going to exclude record inflation (in recent times) and pretend that didn't effect the prices?

What else are you going to exclude in the name of logic?

So now you're going to exclude record inflation (in recent times) and pretend that didn't effect the prices?

What else are you going to exclude in the name of logic?
Accounting for inflation, $399 in 2020 is something like $485 in 2024

They are now charging $450 for the same console in 2024 that they were charging $399 for in 2020

We have never, ever seen this. Inflation alone does not explain it. Something has changed in the console business model.

Geruda065

So address the argument.

EU pricing sucks, I acknowledge that.

In the US.

Is $250 more than the PS5 is right now expensive for a better GPU and an extra 1TB of storage? Because I don't think it is.

Because that's the argument I'm making.
It's just bad value for what it offers.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
€599 would've been ideal, but whatever.
€200 more than I was expecting is manageable.

They should've included the stand though.
I think there is a strong possibility due to the backlash of the £700 price tag, Sony may backpedal on not including the official vertical stand as a goodwill gesture.

I can see people getting the vertical stand for free via PlayStation Direct by emailing across their receipts, or getting it as a free extra when they pre-order on the 26th of September.

Absolutely no way in hell will they inclued the disc drive though in my opinion!

saintjules

Gold Member
I think there's a lot of people hoping for the "we hear you" post from Sony and that there will be a sudden $100 price change.

I think there is a strong possibility due to the backlash of the £700 price tag, Sony may backpedal on not including the official vertical stand as a goodwill gesture.

I can see people getting the vertical stand for free via PlayStation Direct by emailing across their receipts, or getting it as a free extra when they pre-order on the 26th of September.

Absolutely no way in hell will they inclued the disc drive though in my opinion!

Yeah, I think the omission of the vertical stand is weird and should at least get included.

Maybe they will introduce a holiday bundle of the disc drive, but I'm sure Gamestop is already getting ahead of the curve with that.

Last edited:

welshrat

So, unfortunately, I use the Windows shit for my job, and thanks god I use a console for entertainment!
Honestly windows is not shit. I use all 3 major os (windows, macos and Linux mainly Ubuntu) and I enjoy using all 3. I am a software dev. My main machine runs Windows and so does my work laptop I really have no issues with it at all. I will spin up Ubuntu instances for nginx, python etc, also great. Really struggle with why people hate on Windows so much.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I had to look it up. Here are the UK launch day prices.

PS4 price £349

PS4 pro price £349.

PS5 digital edition £359

PS5 pro price £699

That's an insane price hike.
The PS4 systems even included a disc drive. And PS5 digital OG a stand.

Sony is in profit making mode. Way back even with cheap priced systems they were taking in money 13% net profit. Last bunch of years it’s down to 6% for whatever reasons…. Costs, bungie, cancelled gaas games etc…. It’s not like the 30% cut has gone away. So they got some costs cutting profitability in half.

Hence the high price, gamepads going up another $5-10 etc…. They are doing exactly what many companies did long time ago which only recently game makers have done. Focus on profits instead of trying to sell a gazillion consoles and games at rock bottom prices for sake of user base.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
I disagree. For $250 if I could upgrade my GPU on my PC and a get an extra 1TB of storage, I would 100% do that.

Some of these arguments are starting to sound delusional.
Agencylife Bingo GIF by MX Player

My favorite so far is the "There's barely any difference in the gameplay shown! I guess I'll just use the money to upgrade my PC and see the same amount of difference."

I swear some people have it in their minds that they were going to see a PS3 to PS4 difference.

Reactions: XXL
I disagree. For $250 if I could upgrade my GPU on my PC and a get an extra 1TB of storage, I would 100% do that.

Some of these arguments are starting to sound delusional.
It is entirely delusional. The cheapest 4060-4070 upgrade alone is >$200. We haven't talked about storage yet or the proprietary ML hardware.

Reactions: XXL

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I swear some people have it in their minds that they were going to see a PS3 to PS4 difference.
I mean isn't the biggest issue with it? They are asking lot of money with minimal upgrade and you have to pay extra 100$ if you want play physical games you own.

People keep saying this is a premium product but they didn’t bother put basic feature you would expect buying console like disc drive or even vertical stand.

Last edited:

John Wick

You don't think doubling the FPS and/or resolution output in several games is a huge jump over the original? And without a price increase? lol, sure thing.

People who think like you and just throw their wallets open at terrible value propositions like the PS5 Pro are WHY Nvidia sold the 4080 for $1200. Sony looked at your buying habits and said, "Hey, WE could do that." Your defense of "sky's the limit" pricing enables this behavior.
So which games ran at 4K native and which games ran at 60fps locked?
As explained to you before current market conditions dictate what you can build at what price. It's clear you have no clue. Prices have risen steeply in the last 4-5 years. Why don't you build us a console with more power than a PS5 Pro and cheaper as well??? Clearly you seem to know more than everyone else.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I mean isn't the biggest issue with it? They are asking lot of money with minimal upgrade and you have to pay extra 100$ if you want play physical you own.

People keep saying this is a premium product but they didn’t bother put basic feature you would expect buying console like disc drive or even vertical stand.
Oh I agree that their attempt at showing it off as a premium product has been horrible. And the no stand is beyond idiotic.

Last edited:

Chopino

Neo Member
That’s the keyword here.
t8dkbn1tamja1.jpg

Did we go backwards? From 8K to 4K? Or do we all know marketing is full of shit? The RTX 3090 was also marketed as an 8K GPU.
That's what make me mad.

I was so excited by this when i got mine thinking in all those 4k 60fps games. Now i have to pay 800€ or play ff rebirth/Dragons Dogma at sub-4k 30fps.

WTF SONY

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

I mean isn't the biggest issue with it? They are asking lot of money with minimal upgrade and you have to pay extra 100$ if you want play physical you own.

They also didn't give the option for a cheaper 1TB version that could have been $100/£100 less and would have also have greatly reduced the negative PR (coupled with a fairer Euro price).

Top Bottom