• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS6 Specs you expect?

For me next gen must be about making it easier for developers.

If they have to resort yet again to wasting time with baked lighting and multiple depth of field models then dev time will only get longer.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Honestly all i play most of the days are indie games…

Only few sony IP’s i prefer on console compared to pc.

Mythoclast

Dunno about specs, but like every time, it will be 8k30 with 8k60 for remasters, with the eventual PS6 Pro that will finally be able to do 8k60 stable

Kerotan

I think it’s more likely to come in 2029/2030. The price of PS5 hasn’t even been reduced yet so they will most likely extend this generation to get as much out of it as possible.
Personally I'd prefer to get at least 4 years out of my Pro. But it depends what Xbox does.
I'm expecting TLoU at 4k/8K 60fps finally.
Isn't TLOU2 basically built to be future compatible. I wouldn't be surprised if it runs at 4k 120 or 8k 60 on ps6. Same with Turismo.

As for PS6 price SSD's will be half the price at least by then and they are no longer hampered by a disc drive so it'll be sold as an accessory.

If I'd put my money on it they'll offer a digital PS6 with a 2TB SSD day 1. And it'll cost $699. It'll have no problem selling for at least 2 years at that price.

FeralEcho

G0T3wC4.jpeg

Audiophile

Spec mockup I did a while back, obviously given recent revelations you can probably add 10-40% to the price of various parts...

o0OxkfB.png

Probs something more like this now:

gWc6chx.png

I don't think it'll be as much as the PS5 Pro being a base unit, but it'll probably be an intermediate price for the first few years, like $599, right between $499 & $699; and the disc drive will be a readily-available add-on with every sku digital by default. Then I expect a $499/$699 split again for the Slim & Pro, but again, disc drive separate and probably marked up to a round '99' in EU, US & UK moneys.

Last edited:
Keep in mind Sony's restraint on power consumption. It appears that the Pro does not draw much more than the Slim does.

Just the 4090 alone is 450 W.

Radical_3d

Spec mockup I did a while back, obviously given recent revelations you can probably add 10-40% to the price of various parts...

o0OxkfB.png

IWjNGkT.png

I don't think it'll be as much as the PS5 Pro being a base unit, but it'll probably be an intermediate price for the first few years, like $599, right between $499 & $699; and the disc drive will be a readily-available add-on with every sku digital by default. Then I expect a $499/$699 split again for the Slim & Pro, but again, disc drive separate and probably marked up to a round '99' in EU, US & UK moneys.
Disappointing, therefore probably true.

Damigos

I expect triple GPU, double CPU, double RAM in GB and 1,5x in speed, triple raytracing in regards to PS5 Pro.
I also expect a 2027 release date (since we got the PS5 Pro model) with a price tag of 699 WITH bluray player.
Save this post, its prophetic

ap_puff

I think anyone expecting 4090 levels of performance are going to be disappointed. Node shrinks are becoming less and less effective and more and more costly. I expect the PS6 to be around 4080 super performance but have additional dedicated hardware for path tracing and AI. It won't be cheap either, I expect $600 with no disc drive.
I also expect PC components to continue to get more expensive. Wouldn't be surprised if the 6090 hits 3k+.

Quantum253

Gold Member
I'd expect the PS5 Pro with a slightly better GPU, more in-depth AI integration for PSSR, and a custom Zen processor (close to 4 )

Madjako

Next gen will obviously get better cpu and gpu but the main target might be RT en AI (you will be able to talk to npc)

ap_puff

o0OxkfB.png

IWjNGkT.png

There is no way you're getting the tech you've listed for $600. 108 CU on N2P? That's $600 of component costs by itself.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I am going out on a limb and guess there is a 2 in some number somewhere. .. yeah a 2.

hinch7

I think anyone expecting 4090 levels of performance are going to be disappointed. Node shrinks are becoming less and less effective and more and more costly. I expect the PS6 to be around 4080 super performance but have additional dedicated hardware for path tracing and AI. It won't be cheap either, I expect $600 with no disc drive.
I also expect PC components to continue to get more expensive. Wouldn't be surprised if the 6090 hits 3k+.
Assuming MLID rumor isn't completely BS we may get 4080 like performance (raster) from RDNA 4 this year or most likely early next with Navi 48. That is rumored to be a 4nm GPU, 64 CU's and 16GB GDDR6 @ 20GB/s (210-280W TDP).

Its not too far fetched if we jump a node (possibly 2nm by then) or two and move onto GDDR7 that we can get something in the ballpark of 4090D to 4090 in a sub 300W package.

Last edited:

ap_puff

Assuming MLID rumor isn't completely BS we may get 4080 like performance (raster) from RDNA 4 this year or most likely early next with Navi 48. That is rumored to be a 4nm GPU, 64 CU's and 16GB GDDR6 @ 20GB/s (210-280W TDP).

Its not too far fetched if we jump a node (possibly 2nm by then) or two and move onto GDDR7 that we can get something in the ballpark of 4090D to 4090 in a sub 300W package.
Yeah, but the die is going to cost substantially more. n5 is estimated around $16,000 per wafer, n2 is estimated around double that. So I'm thinking they'll go back down to 36 CU to cut down component costs. If they make PS6 a 60 CU machine with GDDR7 that's definitely not going to be $600.

Bigfroth

PS6 should be near AGI or, better approaching ASI (Artificial Superintelligence). Framerate and resolution will be a moot point and irrelevant. OS/frontend will be some Mobius strip-type interface that offers a limitless infinite availability to all Generations of PlayStation software... I can only hope. :messenger_beaming:

hinch7

Yeah, but the die is going to cost substantially more. n5 is estimated around $16,000 per wafer, n2 is estimated around double that. So I'm thinking they'll go back down to 36 CU to cut down component costs. If they make PS6 a 60 CU machine with GDDR7 that's definitely not going to be $600.
Perhaps but I think the age of cheaper (high end) consoles is over and Sony is a testing waters of sorts in terms of pricing for the PS5 Pro.

Assuming Xbox is still floundering and no competition in the high end console space, they could easily go $700+disk drive again for PS6.

Last edited:

ClosBSAS

i expect it tot be4 the first machine to give a real pc gamer pc some competition...for a couple of years. ps5 was wahck, is whack and will forever be whack, already obsolete, only a bunch of marketing bs like ssd and shit. transitional console.

Mr.Phoenix

Too early for this. PS6 is at least 3 years away. Maybe even 4.

Any ideas put up here as expectations are nothing but a glorified wet dream. Some of the technologies that would go into the thing aren't even on the market yet.

How about we at least wait till 226 to start making threads like these, at least then they would be meaningful.
Perhaps but I think the age of cheaper (high end) consoles is over and Sony is a testing waters of sorts in terms of pricing for the PS5 Pro.
I agree with this. I think that is another reason the PS5pro is priced at what it is. I believe Sony could have sold that thing for $600 all digital or $650 with a disc drive bundled in. I believe it costs $700, so when the PS6 launches at $700, it would no longer be a sticker shock. Or if it launches at $600, some would say its a deal.

I expect it to launch at $600 though, with Sony likely taking a $50-$100 hit on each unit sold. I just don't think its possible to make a console that will have the kinda upgrades to be considered next-gen, with a BOM of under $500 anymore.

Last edited:

SHA

A gpu around 100 TF, and a 16c cpu, it means we get much bigger and more complex games, more of cyberpunk type of games and less of failures like Redfall and other stupid games. With AI, the number of aaa games should skyrocket easily, indie games getting fewer and richer than before, and everything else pretty much stays the same.

Last edited:

Hrk69

o0OxkfB.png

gWc6chx.png

You can tell a lot about people who make this like this

The specs don't matter one bit even if its got a RTX5090 in there because we'll get more of the same we got this gen.

More remasters of PS4 and PS5 games and next to no actual next gen games for the first 3 years.

Reading these types of threads is always funny. A lot of people assembling words they don't understand into configurations that are scarcely plausible.

First of all, we have no idea what RDNA4 or its memory subsystem looks like in comparison to RDNA3, and we're making proclamations about WGP, shader, ROP, TMU counts and frequency?
We have no idea what kind of topology these upcoming graphics are gonna have. We have no idea how they're going to be structured or configured. Not the faintest clue about anything. So by the time 2026 rolls around all of the speculation from here would almost certainly be redundant.

Just relax.

BlackTron

Just make it compatible with previous generations of PlayStation consoles. I want it to play all my discs.

It's way too many numbers away but I was thinking how insanely good it would be if we could have a PS10 called PSX that just played everything. Shit like this is why MS skipped Windows 9

Loxus

Nodes get cheaper overtime.
Example.

They can go the chiplet route, 5nm + 2nm for example.

ap_puff

Nodes get cheaper overtime.
Example.

They can go the chiplet route, 5nm + 2nm for example.

2nm will not be cheap by 2028, it will be close to cutting edge. We will see what happens with the AI bubble, if the foundries being panic-built in reaction to covid are empty maybe the costs can come down significantly by then but I don't think you can rely on a hope and a prayer that the bubble bursts.

Romulus

$899 with shinier ps4 graphics

It's amazing we're still playing ps4 games at this point at higher framerates

Loxus

2nm will not be cheap by 2028, it will be close to cutting edge. We will see what happens with the AI bubble, if the foundries being panic-built in reaction to covid are empty maybe the costs can come down significantly by then but I don't think you can rely on a hope and a prayer that the bubble bursts.
That's why I said 5nm + 2nm chiplets.
Having half the chip on 2nm is cheaper than having the whole chip on 2nm.

I don't think the AI bloom would affect Sony tbh. Sony would be ordering 100+ chips, TSMC isn't going to panic, not one bit.

LordOfChaos

I think next gen will be defined by rather large neural processing units. It can be used for one for upscaling and frame gen so that the generation for once can hit a target like 4K/60 consistently (perhaps frame gen 120 into many games) even if some games are dipping below it internally (some always will), but that's just the start, machine learning for smarter AI, perhaps real conversations even using the mic, smarter routines, dynamic systems based on user enjoyment or frustration etc etc, possibilities are abound and next gen could be actually different over everything since PS360 mostly being graphics improvements.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

I expect something not too far behind a current mid to high tier gaming PC at time of release. I would pay more for something that is actually worth more. If they going to charge us the same as Pro or more for old hardware, then anti-consumer Sony greed has taken over! This is what happens when there is no competition. Competitive Xbox was good for us!!

hinch7

I agree with this. I think that is another reason the PS5pro is priced at what it is. I believe Sony could have sold that thing for $600 all digital or $650 with a disc drive bundled in. I believe it costs $700, so when the PS6 launches at $700, it would no longer be a sticker shock. Or if it launches at $600, some would say its a deal.

I expect it to launch at $600 though, with Sony likely taking a $50-$100 hit on each unit sold. I just don't think its possible to make a console that will have the kinda upgrades to be considered next-gen, with a BOM of under $500 anymore.
Worked for Nvidia. And now the spending threshold from consumers have been raised just the past few years. Just look at the price of GPU's now verses 2020. And yeah they'd have to make it big otherwise there won't be that much difference to what we have right now. Sadly it'll be a good few years I reckon, for the next one.

Last edited:

Loxus

I think next gen will be defined by rather large neural processing units. It can be used for one for upscaling and frame gen so that the generation for once can hit a target like 4K/60 consistently (perhaps frame gen 120 into many games) even if some games are dipping below it internally (some always will), but that's just the start, machine learning for smarter AI, perhaps real conversations even using the mic, smarter routines, dynamic systems based on user enjoyment or frustration etc etc, possibilities are abound and next gen could be actually different over everything since PS360 mostly being graphics improvements.

Tbh, if PS6 has a NPU, it would be small as it wouldn't be used for gaming.

CPU, GPU, and NPU: Understanding Key Differences and Their Roles in Artificial Intelligence
In practice, CPUs, GPUs, and NPUs are all crucial for the functioning of a computer, but each is optimized to handle different types of calculations and rendering. The GPU is specialized in rendering complex images for applications such as video editing and gaming, while the NPU handles repetitive and less complex AI tasks, such as background blurring in video calls or object detection in photo and video editing, offloading these minor tasks from the GPU. This allows the CPU and GPU to focus on more intensive and complex activities, improving overall system efficiency and preventing one from becoming overloaded, ensuring smooth system operation.

While the AI cores in the GPU can be used for more gaming related stuff.

AMD talks future of RDNA, wants to make game NPCs smarter with AI
"We believe that inference accelerators that should be implemented in gamers' GPUs should be used to make games more advanced and fun."

"The movement and behavior of enemy characters and NPCs are probably the most obvious examples [for Al cores]. Also, even if Al is used for image processing, Al should be in charge of more advanced processing Specifically, a theme such as "neural graphics", which is currently gaining momentum in the 3D graphics industry. may be appropriate."
- David Wang, AMD

Top Bottom