• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: Rare Xbox 360 sale features over 60 non-backwards compatible games (Xbox 360 MarketPlace closes July 29)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Last edited:

Leonidas

AMD's Dogma: ARyzen (No Intel inside)
Only one month left of Xbox 360 Marketplace. I'm waiting for July 16th when the final sale goes live before I buy everything I want. Still have $80+, in my MS account from when I price matched my Xbox Series X last year, should be enough to get everything I want.

Hoping for DLC discounts included in the finale... there is a lot of DLC I want, but seems silly to pay more than the cost of some of these games for DLC which many times only amounts to a small extra.

Power Pro

I can't even look at the marketplace from my 360, because for some (or for no reason), my xbox 360 refuses to connect to the internet. Wired or wireless, it just constantly fails to reach the internet. It's not like the console or my account is blocked. It has connected before, and I still have an active account on other platforms, it's just this machine is refusing to work.

Larxia

Yeah but based on that link it seems like the PC version suffers from 'constant stuttering'.

A modern console re-release would likely not have that. Or hell, even an enhanced BC version.
Never had any stuttering issue with Remember Me on pc from what I remember. I do however always lock my framerate with rivatuner, which almost always fix bad framepacing from internal framerate limiters, so maybe that's why.
Amazing game, very underrated, and so much ahead of its time in term of visuals.

Power Pro

Okay...got it to work, it wanted me to enter my username and password again for some reason. So weird how it just kept saying connection failed. It wasn't until I attempted to sign in with my profile that it told me I needed to enter my information again.

Now to see what's actually available at a good price. Not seeing much besides Dead Rising so far.

Last edited:

Power Pro

Man, there really are quite a few games that were just put up on the marketplace, and the owners probably just forgot they existed and have just sat there with full price and never been lowered. I went through most games one by one on the 360 store to see what was cheaper, and for the most part, it's just some Capcom games right now that have a decent price, with a few exceptions. Spyro for $9.99 is tempting since I think the physical copy is pricey. Rise of the Tomb Raider I'd be curious to see on 360 for $7.99.

But seriously, with the server shutting down, they should be lowering the prices on every thing exclusive to 360. I understand they probably don't want to touch the prices for games playable on Xbox One/Series systems, but something like...Bullet Witch, yeah I still don't wanna spend $20 on that.

Then there are games like I mentioned that I think the IP owners just forgot were even there. Xbox 360 version of Alien Isolation, $49.99. Fucking Yaiba Ninja Gaiden Z is still $59.99 lol I probably would've gotten Quantum Theory in a heartbeat if it was on sale, but it's still just sitting there at $30, because fuck trying to make a few sales before the store closes I guess.

Leonidas

AMD's Dogma: ARyzen (No Intel inside)
Man, there really are quite a few games that were just put up on the marketplace, and the owners probably just forgot they existed and have just sat there with full price and never been lowered. I went through most games one by one on the 360 store to see what was cheaper, and for the most part, it's just some Capcom games right now that have a decent price, with a few exceptions. Spyro for $9.99 is tempting since I think the physical copy is pricey. Rise of the Tomb Raider I'd be curious to see on 360 for $7.99.

But seriously, with the server shutting down, they should be lowering the prices on every thing exclusive to 360. I understand they probably don't want to touch the prices for games playable on Xbox One/Series systems, but something like...Bullet Witch, yeah I still don't wanna spend $20 on that.

Then there are games like I mentioned that I think the IP owners just forgot were even there. Xbox 360 version of Alien Isolation, $49.99. Fucking Yaiba Ninja Gaiden Z is still $59.99 lol I probably would've gotten Quantum Theory in a heartbeat if it was on sale, but it's still just sitting there at $30, because fuck trying to make a few sales before the store closes I guess.
Still a chance some of the stuff you were hoping for could go on sale on the 16th (the last time prices will be adjusted).

If you really wanted games like Alien Isolation, Yaiba and Bullet Witch, I'd suggest the PC version (most of which are on sale on Steam right now, and run way better than the 360 releases. Bullet Witch on 360 frame-rate was abysmal.

Power Pro

Still a chance some of the stuff you were hoping for could go on sale on the 16th (the last time prices will be adjusted).

If you really wanted games like Alien Isolation, Yaiba and Bullet Witch, I'd suggest the PC version (most of which are on sale on Steam right now, and run way better than the 360 releases. Bullet Witch on 360 frame-rate was abysmal.
It's not that I really want any of those, I already own Alien on multiple platforms, and the other 2 were more like "well if it's $2, I'll grab it", but that's it. Like there's also a lot of Koei Tecmo games that are on here that I'd be like "ehh, not at full price" and that's why I never got em, and here they sit still at full price.

Power Pro

So are Xbox 360 games that are Backward Compatible going to stay up once the 360 Marketplace closes? Like, are they going to still offer that stuff if you purchase on an Xbox One/Series console? Just don't know how paranoid I should be about stuff on my wish list.

adamsapple

So are Xbox 360 games that are Backward Compatible going to stay up once the 360 Marketplace closes? Like, are they going to still offer that stuff if you purchase on an Xbox One/Series console? Just don't know how paranoid I should be about stuff on my wish list.

Yes.

This is the Xbox 360 version of the store, anything that is BC has already been migrated to the new store a long time ago.

intbal

They're repackaged for the emulator, so they're actually Xbox One/Series versions now. So they should remain up indefinitely.

BlackTron

Of course the last month the store exists would be the month I decide to put thousands of dollars of parts into my car. Making me question my sanity scouring a list of old games I wouldn't be thinking about otherwise for a system I haven't had hooked up for eternity. In fact my remaining 360 doesn't even have a HDD, FOMO running on all cylinders today.

Power Pro

They're repackaged for the emulator, so they're actually Xbox One/Series versions now. So they should remain up indefinitely.
Well until some publishers take their shit down for no reason. Honestly, I don't why Soul Caliber 1 is not purchasable anymore :( I want it! I understand SC2 cuz it has Spawn in it, but 1 should still be on there.

intbal

Well until some publishers take their shit down for no reason. Honestly, I don't why Soul Caliber 1 is not purchasable anymore :( I want it! I understand SC2 cuz it has Spawn in it, but 1 should still be on there.
Yes, that's true. Publishers can and will remove their games from digital storefronts. Rarely any way to know when that is going to happen.
I was only really referring to the games still being offered through the modern consoles' digital stores once the 360 store shuts down.

Power Pro

Yes, that's true. Publishers can and will remove their games from digital storefronts. Rarely any way to know when that is going to happen.
I was only really referring to the games still being offered through the modern consoles' digital stores once the 360 store shuts down.
I know, it's just frustrating. You look up the category for Backward Compatible titles on the Xbox Store, and it's ridiculous how many say "not available for purchase". They went through the trouble of making these games BC, and so many were delisted pretty fast after they were made available.

intbal

How many Xbox 360s are still functioning?
Probably every single Trinity and later variant. That was first released in the middle of 2010.
The Tonasket (late 2009) variant is also probably in perfect working order.
The Jasper (late 2008) variant is the first model that had significant fixes for RROD because it featured a die shrink.

YMMV when it comes to the DVD drives. I don't think the drives in the 360 E model are of the same quality as earlier versions.

Killer8

Time to dust off the old slim and raid the store. I do have a 360 modchip already and already bought most of what I wanted from the 360 era for the Series X, but it's good to have some other games in case they ever get added to backwards compatibility.

StereoVsn

Got Bionic Commando, BC Rearmed (Amazing soundtrack) and Remember me.
Is Remember Me backwards compatible? Couldn’t get an answer by searching online.

Also, is Batman Arkham Origins still available on Xbox?

I actually got both on Steam, it wouldn’t mind having it on Xbox BC if they are cheap enough.

RedC

Is Remember Me backwards compatible? Couldn’t get an answer by searching online.

Also, is Batman Arkham Origins still available on Xbox?

I actually got both on Steam, it wouldn’t mind having it on Xbox BC if they are cheap enough.
No, Remember Me is not backward compatible.

Batman Arkham Origins is backwards compatible but there was never a digital version offered on the Xbox Marketplace, so you will need to use the disc.

I used this time to gather all the 360 disc copies of games I wanted. I figure the prices will only go up. I now have a stack of 20 games to get through someday. Currently enjoying Lollipop Chainsaw, Blue Dragon, and Sonic Generations.

BlackTron

I used this time to gather all the 360 disc copies of games I wanted. I figure the prices will only go up. I now have a stack of 20 games to get through someday. Currently enjoying Lollipop Chainsaw, Blue Dragon, and Sonic Generations.

Blue Dragon I can see but Sonic Generations on a 360 in 2024? I have a physical copy too for posterity but you can get it digital on sale for 5 bucks, enjoy MUCH better performance, and avoid the wear and tear on your 360 (this game actually damaged my brand new PS3's graphics card back in 2011). I found hardware struggling to keep up with this game equated to the end experience of input lag which made playing a twitch game maddening.

intbal

I'm probably one of only three people on Earth who would care about this, but I'm going to mention it anyway.
I picked up Dark Messiah of Might and Magic in this sale. It's a Source Engine game, so I was hoping it would allow the same Uncap FPS trick as Half-Life 2.
Unfortunately, the game doesn't store the User Settings ini on the 360's hard drive. Not in any accessible way, anyway. So the game is capped at 30fps, even though the graphics are very simple and the cutscenes all run at 60fps.
So, if you're one of those other two people who might have been considering this, now you know.

StereoVsn

No, Remember Me is not backward compatible.

Batman Arkham Origins is backwards compatible but there was never a digital version offered on the Xbox Marketplace, so you will need to use the disc.
Yeah, got a copy of Arkham Origins on eBay, lol. I do have Remember Me on PS3 and Steam, so that isn’t a big deal.

And let’s face it, playing these games on PC at 60+ fps and much higher res will always be better as even Origins didn’t get res/fps enhancements.

Blue Dragon I can see but Sonic Generations on a 360 in 2024? I have a physical copy too for posterity but you can get it digital on sale for 5 bucks, enjoy MUCH better performance, and avoid the wear and tear on your 360 (this game actually damaged my brand new PS3's graphics card back in 2011). I found hardware struggling to keep up with this game equated to the end experience of input lag which made playing a twitch game maddening.
I’ve noticed no difference using the disc on my 360s versus the digital version on Xbox One.

BlackTron

I’ve noticed no difference using the disc on my 360s versus the digital version on Xbox One.

Fair enough. I have no idea if Xbox One helps the game but the difference on Series S/X is huge. Which of course you could always get out of the PC version with the right specs.

Sorry if you don't have any of those options. Not trying to go elitist on you.

StereoVsn

Fair enough. I have no idea if Xbox One helps the game but the difference on Series S/X is huge. Which of course you could always get out of the PC version with the right specs.

Sorry if you don't have any of those options. Not trying to go elitist on you.
Unless the game is FPS boosted, attaching external SSD to Xbox One would accomplish the same thing in cutting loading times.

Edit: PC version should be a better bet.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Unless the game is FPS boosted, attaching external SSD to Xbox One would accomplish the same thing in cutting loading times.

Edit: PC version should be a better bet.

Load times were never a concern of mine in this game, other than when my old PS3 failed the load assets during gameplay and I was running on invisible tracks. The X/S version gets 4k/60FPS.

adamsapple

Yeah, got a copy of Arkham Origins on eBay, lol. I do have Remember Me on PS3 and Steam, so that isn’t a big deal.

And let’s face it, playing these games on PC at 60+ fps and much higher res will always be better as even Origins didn’t get res/fps enhancements.

I tried my hand on the PC version of Origins a few years ago, it was an incredibly buggy mess. Higher resolution and performance is a big plus but the game having a myriad of issues is definitely a huge sore spot. Comparatively, I also picked up Origins earlier this year at a garage sale (FOR JUST $1 :D ) and even though it looks like ass by comparison, the 360 version running in BC mode on Series was an almost entirely bug/glitch free experience for me.

Orbital2060

Doesnt look like FEZ is available anymore, but it was released for PC in 2019. I bought a copy to play on my laptop.

graywolf323

I can't even look at the marketplace from my 360, because for some (or for no reason), my xbox 360 refuses to connect to the internet. Wired or wireless, it just constantly fails to reach the internet. It's not like the console or my account is blocked. It has connected before, and I still have an active account on other platforms, it's just this machine is refusing to work.
are you getting the MTU error? I’m having the same issue and it seems like it’s been happening since the winter but Xbox/Microsoft can’t be bothered to fix it 😑

edit: I finally got through, I think it might have been caused by my old app password for the Xbox 360 expiring? at least when I tried connecting from the dashboard it made me login again & I had to generate a new one

edit 2: well this sucks, I thought these were permanent price cuts so I wasn’t in a hurry to dig my 360 out of storage but now I see the sale on BLACK already ended 😔

Last edited:

Jesb

Did they already delete some games before the date? I’m looking at the marketplace online and a lot of games are not even purchasable.

Looks like a lot of games have been delisted. Why was there no warning that these would disappear?

Last edited:
Top Bottom