• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
God's Beard said:
9JHd9.png
Odd that most of the losses are in after market trading.

Though to be honest it could have nothing to do with the leak, since the stock over the past few weeks, before this even started, hasn't been doing to great:
sonystock.png

YakiSOBA

Has anyone stepped up to claim responsibility? What do you think Sony will do to find out who did this, can they trace it at all?

If the hacker(s) responsible are caught, oh good lord... the thought of nerds in jail is frightening.... godlike powers on the internets, but oh so tight bumholes to be expl0ited and 0verfl0wed in jails by thugs and the likes.

YakiSOBA said:
Has anyone stepped up to claim responsibility? What do you think Sony will do to find out who did this, can they trace it at all?

If the hacker(s) responsible are caught, oh good lord... the thought of nerds in jail is frightening.... godlike powers on the internets, but oh so tight bumholes to be expl0ited and 0verfl0wed in jails by thugs and the likes.
They'll put them in the hacker tank.

Afrikan

YakiSOBA said:

who ever it is, will be in big big trouble.

gofreak said:
It's not exactly clear in the Forbes article who that estimated cost is being attributed to by Ponemon either. VG247 relays it as the cost of investigation, but the Forbes article doesn't qualify it as that, and I am very sure Sony won't be spending anything like $24bn investigating this breach. If I had to guess I'd think that estimate relates to 'loss' per compromised record due to CC abuse etc. - i.e. cost to 'everyone' as a result of these breaches, not to the company breached per se.

Oh yeah, I definitely agree. It won't be 24 billion. That's a LOT of loot.

I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up costing a good amount down the road. What number exactly- who knows? It's not going to be cheap given the litigious nature of society especially with the government asking questions now.

Cruzader

Banned
notworksafe said:
Well unless he was also selling 5 other PS3s, a PSP, and a bunch of jeans because "I am a Husband, father and now a grandfather with a full time job, but I enjoy doing this aside; it helps me with the high cost of living" then he's a liar.
Im sure if someone posted something similar on a nintendo or 360 thread, you would get insta ban either for trolling or lying. Trolling Sony threads though, its ok.

I don't want to accuse anybody of lying, but these mysterious sudden "credit card charges" because of the hack.... uh well.
The hackers got the data of 77 million accounts, and they won't use them themselves. They probably even need to wait a bit, then sell the info. I don't think that suddenly, 1 day after Sony goes public with this, they already use your credit cards + have the security code hacked on all these cards...

Zoe

Tryckser said:
I don't want to accuse anybody of lying, but these mysterious sudden "credit card charges" because of the hack.... uh well.
The hackers got the data of 77 million accounts, and they won't use them themselves. They probably even need to wait a bit, then sell the info. I don't think that suddenly, 1 day after Sony goes public with this, they already use your credit cards + have the security code hacked on all these cards...

If they are indeed legit, then I'd think that would mean the intrusion happened well before last week.

jmdajr

npm0925 said:
Apart from canceling credit card and changing passwords & security questions, what else should I do?

make sure you are not using the same password for everything.... be vigilant of your accounts...

outside of that..

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Drkirby said:
One is the actual stock sold on the Tokyo Stock Exchange, the other is a American Depositary Receipt, which is more or less a proxy stock used to make it easier to sell share of foreign companies in the US. That one you linked is also in Yen.

Ok. I was wondering. I have no knowledge of stocks.

Zoe said:
If they are indeed legit, then I'd think that would mean the intrusion happened well before last week.
Or they got leaked from another source... credit card leaks happen all the time, or do you think onlineshop xyz has super-duper security to keep your credit card information 100% save?....

Dynedom said:
Jesus.

Not sure if this is related but I just got 93 e-mails into my Hotmail account, all from the same sender: "The Seven Ancient Health Services"

The subject is: "You friend "The Seven Ancient Health Services by Kapcer M. Powatski has recommended t..."

I didn't open the e-mail out of fear/paranoia. This is odd because it's not the e-mail I linked to my PSN. It is, however, the e-mail I use for Xbox Live and the 2 e-mails might have had the same password. Either way :(

Ehhhh isn't Hotmail still a spamfest anyway?

Zoe

Tryckser said:
Or they got leaked from another source... credit card leaks happen all the time, or do you think onlineshop xyz has super-duper security to keep your credit card information 100% save?....

I meant legitimately related to a PSN breach.

Arnie

dr_octagon said:
someone mentioned this before, if you search your emails with the term DoNotReply@ac.playstation.net - it should show you the purchases and funding method (including any cards)

keep in mind, money may not be taken immediately, it might occur when the dust settles
Thankyou very much, I'm going to do this now.

One of the few times I'm happy that here in my country MBNET is so popular. It basically creates one use only temporary cards whenever you want to buy something online, it expires within a month and you can set its credit limt (fom 5€ to 200€ I think). That's the only thing I've ever used on psn.

EagleEyes

mentalfloss said:
Baghdad+Bob-746275.gif

It's okay guys.. if the affected userbase was 20% of that number, it would only be $6 Billion lost.
Didn't Microsoft put aside 1 billion for the RRod incident? Kind of puts this thing into perspective I guess.

Dynedom

The Blue Jihad said:
Ehhhh isn't Hotmail still a spamfest anyway?

Haha, yep.

I'll watch my hotmail over the next few days/weeks. I think this was an isolated incident. The only things I use my hotmail account for are Live Messenger and Xbox Live.

sajj316

bryehn said:
It can fall a bit further I'd think.

Just pulled up the chart on my Reuters (SNE) .. down almost 3% .. has the potential of breaking below the 52 week low of 25.850. Certainly a downward trend.

Speevy

Banned
Hey guys, those people saying their credit card information was stolen.

You actually have your card on your PSN account, correct?

Dunlop

Tryckser said:

I doubt is is lying, but also might not be related to this and the breach happened in the billion other places people use thier cards.

Ihave gone through 2 credit cards (3 now) and 4 debit in the last 18 months from them being automatically disables due to them being used in a place that is under investigation (of course they wont tell you where said place is)

droopy

Well they just did a call-in bit about this on CBC daytime radio. The host wasn't exactly sure what she was talking about :lol

Sony's incompetence is officially mainstreamed.

This is what happens when you get rid of Ken Kutaragi. The Playstation brand was top-notch for two generations. They was the best consoles out there. Then with him gone, It all goes to shit. So much so that Sony hasn't fully recovered this gen. I, for one, will have a hard time rationalizing buying a Sony system unless Kutaragi is at the helm again.

Adamm

madmook said:
The e-mail doesn't say anything new... why are some of you guys so eager to get it?

Just pointing out how long it actually taking them to send the emails out.

For people who dont keep up to date with the news they still will have no idea whats happening.

Regardless of the actual monetary cost of this breach, which will probably be pretty heavy for Sony, I believe an even bigger issue for them will be the huge blow at their brand image in the eyes of regular consumers, especially now that the cat's out of the bag and media outlets of all sizes are starting to report on this.

SteelAttack said:
Regardless of the actual monetary cost of this breach, which will probably be pretty heavy for Sony, I believe an even bigger issue for them will be the huge blow at their brand image in the eyes of regular consumers, especially now that the cat's out of the bag and media outlets of all sizes are starting to report on this.
Just like no one goes to BP anymore...oh wait

Speevy

Banned
The Broken Ska Record said:
This is what happens when you get rid of Ken Kutaragi. The Playstation brand was top-notch for two generations. They was the best consoles out there. Then with him gone, It all goes to shit. So much so that Sony hasn't fully recovered this gen. I, for one, will have a hard time rationalizing buying a Sony system unless Kutaragi is at the helm again.

Well, he did design the console that had backward compatibility, which (and this is just my guess, don't jump on me) I believe led to extra heat, forcing them to remove it.

params7

Banned
I couldn't log into my yahoo email today morning. Just so happens I use the same email and password for my PSN login. I just got back my account after going through "Yahoo's account compromised" section and somebody freakin' changed me password last night.

This is probably not PSN, just me being stupid over free wifi somewhere..but this has never happened to me before. I just also saw I received the PSN email Sony sent out yesterday.

Just to be safe, if you are using the same email and pass as those in your PSN, GO CHANGE IT.

Rapstah

Kibbles said:
It's on CNN now.

They're telling people to cancel their credit cards and/or check the charges.
NEW DEVELOPMENTS

OBAMA'S BIRTH CERTIFICATE

I should seriously learn not to assume International runs the same stories as whatever one you US people are getting.

Stinkdog

Neo Member
gcubed said:
i apologize, if thats his standard, I can "make" about 300 fake id's just by logging onto my facebook account.

lol I never said he was being realistic. I was just clarifying. =p It sounds like hogwash to me.

params7 said:
I couldn't log into my yahoo email today morning. Just so happens I use the same email and password for my PSN login. I just got back my account after going through "Yahoo's account compromised" section and somebody freakin' changed me password last night.

This is probably not PSN, just me being stupid over free wifi somewhere..but this has never happened to me before. I just also saw I received the PSN email Sony sent out yesterday.

Just to be safe, if you are using the same email and pass as those in your PSN, GO CHANGE IT.

Yahoo always asks me to change my password, like every 3 months because of "suspicious activity" i change my security question as well. Shit always happens.

Anyway, while I don't think Sony should be blamed for this, I do think their lack of PR is frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom