• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkwing

Rebel Leader said:
I wonder aswell. When was master card hacked?

http://www.informationweek.com/news/galleries/security/attacks/229300675?pgno=2

In June 2005, MasterCard announced that up to 40 million credit card holders were at risk of having their data stolen -- and 200,000 definitely had -- because of a Trojan on the computers of a credit card processing company. The processor, CardSystems Solutions, had improperly stored the card data, unencrypted, in order to do research on the transactions. The CardSystems chief executive admitted: "We should not have been doing that."

yeah it was a failure on MasterCard's part though to trust them, you are only as strong as your weakest link

Zoe

Houston3000 said:
I think it was a few months ago around Christmas. They were freezing funds being donated to WikiLeaks so Anonymous hacked into their website and brought it down.

That's completely different. All Anonymous was doing was DDoS attacks, and it just so happened that MC's transaction processing server was the same as their web server.

snap0212

aristotle said:
Are you trolling or did you not even watch that?

1. Hsu said no such thing.
2. Sony said that themselves on the blog (albeit a few days later after the official "PSN is down" announcement)
“They waited almost a week before they told consumers 'this is why PlayStation Network is down'” is exactly what he said (0:39).

On April 22nd, Sony posted about an “external intrusion” on the PlayStation Blog. That's not almost a week. It was almost a week until Sony decided to share that our data has been stolen, not the fact that the PSN is down because of hacking.

darkwing said:
remember when Mastercard got hacked, yeah i thought so

Walgreens was also hacked not too long ago. Right around the time the Gawker incident happened I believe. I remember my dad scrambling to make sure all his med stuff was ok.

yoopoo

Banned
Hot dang, I just realize that I have a dormant account on PSN, which uses my gmail address and password

Had to change my Google pass and now I'm also using the 2-step verification process... That thing is pretty neat.

aristotle

snap0212 said:
“They waited almost a week before they told consumers 'this is why PlayStation Network is down'” is exactly what he said (0:39).

On April 22nd, Sony posted about an “external intrusion” on the PlayStation Blog. That's not almost a week. It was almost a week until Sony decided to share that our data has been stolen, not the fact that the PSN is down because of hacking.

I would've thought deductive reasoning would've meant the whole reason it was down, not "We had a hacker. Please wait for further announcements" but maybe that's just me.

jorma

is now taking requests
BeeDog said:
Question for Swe-GAF: are you familiar with how identity thefts work in Sweden? Should we be scared of shit like that happening?

No i don't think so, it's your social security number they need for identity thefts, and Sony does not have that data.

BeeDog

jorma said:
No i don't think so, it's your social security number they need for identity thefts, and Sony does not have that data.

True enough, phew. But in general, how easy is it to find people's SSN's online (through shit like Ratsit and so on)? I'm clueless, really.

EagleEyes said:
Didn't Microsoft put aside 1 billion for the RRod incident? Kind of puts this thing into perspective I guess.
So this is worse for sony than rrod was for ms I guess. It's already far worse than the 07 xbox live outage.

Zoe

Paznos said:
Yet people are still using credit cards but are swearing off all things Sony and their network, were people just as outraged back then?

The internet seems more vocal these days.

Rebel Leader said:
Sony stock is now -2.75%
Do you actually understand and follow the stock market on a daily basis or are you just posting what seem to be "bad" numbers in an attempt to get people to freak out or something?

FYI, Sony's stock has been on a small but somewhat steady decline for a while now.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Sony's damn lucky the Royal Wedding is on Friday...that'll bury this news for a bit on major news sites.
itsgreen said:
With 25 seconds googling: on 3.6 billion shares, thats 1.8 billion. Quite a big impact.
I don't know much about stocks so correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure no one sees stock declines like that at all.

sajj316

CadetMahoney said:
So this is worse for sony than rrod was for ms I guess. It's already far worse than the 07 xbox live outage.

What I fear is that despite the rebuild of the infrastructure, there will be more attacks and more down times. I do think the worst is over but expect future intrusions now that the world knows how to get the PlayStation brand on it's knees.

snap0212

aristotle said:
I would've thought deductive reasoning would've meant the whole reason it was down, not "We had a hacker. Please wait for further announcements" but maybe that's just me.
Well, if I were him I'd have chosen different words, that's for sure. ;)

sajj316 said:
What I fear is that despite the rebuild of the infrastructure, there will be more attacks and more down times. I do think the worst is over but expect future intrusions now that the world knows how to get the PlayStation brand on it's knees.
I wonder if Microsoft is triple-checking XBL security right now...

obonicus

chubigans said:
Sony's damn lucky the Royal Wedding is on Friday...that'll bury this news for a bit on major news sites.

Thank god, because the fighting in Cambodia/Thailand or the trouble in Syria wasn't important enough news.

The worst part about all this (OK, maybe not the *worst*) is watching your local news idiot explaining the concept of "online gaming". "Virtual battlefields!", etc.

Jburton

Banned
sajj316 said:

I think we have had enough supposition and make believe ........ this type of nonsense helps nobody ....

.....especially those that are overly concerned.

I also doubt the 'world' has been waiting with baited breath on how to bring the Playstation brand to its knees.

sheesh!

Equus Bellator Apex

The hackers broke into psn so they could form a class action lawsuit against Sony.

"Holy shit."
shyamalan_xlarge.jpeg

sajj316 said:

Bison.jpg

Cday

Banned
Might as well start suing them now. It's not like they're going to tell anyone anything because as soon as they do there will probably be a real reason to sue them then. Let's subpoena their computers and tell them to erase our leaked personal information from the internet or else.

kodt

Banned
I haven't read the entire thread, but do we know if there was any truth to the claim that PS3's that were hacked to enable dev mode could use fake credit card information to buy anything on PSN effectively for free?

Also, didn't Sony at first blame this current outage on DDOS attacks (Anon) and now are admitting the real reason? Or did they not say at first?

sajj316

Jburton said:
I think we have had enough supposition and make believe ........ this type of nonsense helps nobody ....

.....especially those that are overly concerned.

I also doubt the 'world' has been waiting with baited breath on how to bring the Playstation brand to its knees.

sheesh!

Well I hope I'm 100% wrong .. I want my PSN back and uninterrupted. For those that are concerned, do what you have to do with your credit/debit cards. You know what I meant by when I said the world.

Zoe

kodt said:
Also, didn't Sony at first blame this current outage on DDOS attacks (Anon) and now are admitting the real reason? Or did they not say at first?

They didn't specify what kind of attack.

Kafel

Banned
Just received an e-mail from Verified by Visa that my account was blocked after fraudulent activity.

there's a link in the mail to order another card

I have a MasterCard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom