• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcubed

phosphor112 said:
Yahoo always asks me to change my password, like every 3 months because of "suspicious activity" i change my security question as well. Shit always happens.

Anyway, while I don't think Sony should be blamed for this, I do think their lack of PR is frustrating.

you should think about never having the password for sites that use your email for a username the same as the password to your email. Very very bad idea

Enco

YakiSOBA said:
Has anyone stepped up to claim responsibility? What do you think Sony will do to find out who did this, can they trace it at all?

If the hacker(s) responsible are caught, oh good lord... the thought of nerds in jail is frightening.... godlike powers on the internets, but oh so tight bumholes to be expl0ited and 0verfl0wed in jails by thugs and the likes.
That would be hilarious.

Hope it happens.

params7

Banned
The Broken Ska Record said:
This is what happens when you get rid of Ken Kutaragi. The Playstation brand was top-notch for two generations. They was the best consoles out there. Then with him gone, It all goes to shit. So much so that Sony hasn't fully recovered this gen. I, for one, will have a hard time rationalizing buying a Sony system unless Kutaragi is at the helm again.

This is whole lot broader than that. Spanning back to Sony's scare-bullying tactics over the last decade from being the only music label to support DRM spyware to losing vs Immersion where Microsoft won and kept their rumble feature to suing kids like Hotz over harmless hacking thinking they can send the community message only to settle with him too.

The whole Sony's culture right now is shit and but it should change when Hirai becomes the CEO.

gcubed said:
you should think about never having the password for sites that use your email for a username the same as the password to your email. Very very bad idea

I have about 13 passwords I use.

One of which even contains 23 characters. It's just Yahoo sucks ass for some reason.

stupei

Tryckser said:
Just like no one goes to BP anymore...oh wait

There is a really really big difference in the minds of most consumers between, "Company X's fuck up cost other people who I do not know money" and "Company Y's fuck up potentially cost me and people I know money."

Not saying people will turn away in droves but to compare it to the situation with BP is silly.

params7

Banned
Skel said:
Do you guys think this could compromise the future of the playstation brand? Wonder what they'll say about this at e3.

Yup..this is going to affect PSN's reputation permanently for a while.

jergrah

Skel said:
Do you guys think this could compromise the future of the playstation brand? Wonder what they'll say about this at e3.

They'll close their presser with it

"We have one final announcement - something you've all been asking for since the end of April. Ladies and Gentlemen - PSN is back online!!"

darkwing

Skel said:

let's just say the person that is going to speak at E3 will be hearing boos

Az

I swear I forgot E3 is coming up. I have some days scheduled off soon, hopefully the fall around that time.

verbum

Tryckser said:
I don't want to accuse anybody of lying, but these mysterious sudden "credit card charges" because of the hack.... uh well.
The hackers got the data of 77 million accounts, and they won't use them themselves. They probably even need to wait a bit, then sell the info. I don't think that suddenly, 1 day after Sony goes public with this, they already use your credit cards + have the security code hacked on all these cards...

2 years ago, I got a call from my bank. I live in Georgia and someone in Brooklyn, NY was trying to open a credit card account using my name, birthdate, SSN, address, phone numbers, and supplying other account numbers such as savings, car loan,etc.
After I told them I was not in NYC, they cancelled the credit card application, changed all my account numbers, sent me new debit cards, and put me on a credit monitoring program for 1 year at their cost. it was Wachovia which is now part of Wells Fargo. I extended the credit monitoring program for $35 for another 12 months.
So criminals do not need a credit card number or PIN. They can use the personal info to get an account opened. Once they have your name,address, birth date and account types, they can buy a report from credit bureaus which have your SSN and other info they may need.
Call your bank or credit card company or both and compare prices for a credit monitoring program which will let you know if accounts are being opened using your info or if credit limit increases are being requested Choose one that monitors all three of the reporting agencies-Experian, Transunion, and Equifax. And one that sends alerts 24/7.

RJM77

stupei said:
There is a really really big difference in the minds of most consumers between, "Company X's fuck up cost other people who I do not know money" and "Company Y's fuck up potentially cost me and people I know money."

Not saying people will turn away in droves but to compare it to the situation with BP is silly.

I really don't think it will affect sales of Sony products in any meaningful way. People are sensitive to the issue because it just happened, but in a few weeks it'll be back to business as usual. I and millions of other people still bank with Bank of America and they lost my CC information just several months ago.

params7

Banned
Wario64 said:
How can it be permanently for only a while?

While - A generation or two, lol.

You know what the casual gamer is going to think of PSN's credibility now after hearing this on local news.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
darkwing said:
let's just say the person that is going to speak at E3 will be hearing boos

No way. Gaming journalists will slurp up anything Sony has to show.

phosphor112 said:
Apparently hackers and thieves are feeling fucking ballsy recently.

http://www.gamedynamo.com/article/s...rity_Warning_about_Potential_Phishing_Attempt
That's nothing new really, phishing attempts happen all the time. It's not really hacking, just lying to people to steal their information. I'm pretty sure most people get dozens of phishing emails every day and just ignore them.

Obviously enough people fall for it that they need to be warning, which is worrying.

snap0212

Dan Hsu, video game expert, on TV: http://bit.ly/hukAJu

Too bad what he said isn't exactly true. Sony told us that the PSN was down because of an external party (hacking). However, they did not say that our data might have been stolen...

snap0212 said:

Too bad what he said isn't exactly true. Sony told us that the PSN was down because of an external party (hacking). However, they did not say that our data might have been stolen...
I love the close-ups of his hands on the DS3.

"And this is how you play a video game on the Playstation 3 video game entertainment system."

RJM77 said:
I really don't think it will affect sales of Sony products in any meaningful way. People are sensitive to the issue because it just happened, but in a few weeks it'll be back to business as usual. I and millions of other people still bank with Bank of America and they lost my CC information just several months ago.

Yeah.

Just another one for the history books.

darkwing said:
this has been going on since the internet was invented
I know phising has existed since.. well forever, but how does this shit work on... COD?

"Let me PM this guy... "Hello Sir/Madam, I am a Nigerian prince...'."

Cth said:
Given all the comments about switching to prepaid cards..

It'll be interesting to see how much sales increase when future NPD numbers are released.
u'll be able to see any increase directly from amazon sales iirc.

Zoe

verbum said:
So criminals do not need a credit card number or PIN. They can use the personal info to get an account opened. Once they have your name,address, birth date and account types, they can buy a report from credit bureaus which have your SSN and other info they may need.

You cannot order a credit report through any of the three bureaus without the SSN and the ability to answer questions about information on the report.

BeeDog

Question for Swe-GAF: are you familiar with how identity thefts work in Sweden? Should we be scared of shit like that happening?

aristotle

snap0212 said:

Are you trolling or did you not even watch that?

1. Hsu said no such thing.
2. Sony said that themselves on the blog (albeit a few days later after the official "PSN is down" announcement)

Kinda surprised Hsu went on TV and contributed to the fear tactics that the media is using. There is no concrete evidence yet that anyone's CC info was stolen. While it is possible, media outlets are providing a bunch of assumptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom