• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dizzy

Banned
They're gonna let us change our usernames? :eek: awesome.

I think I'll be sticking with prepaid cards for a while. I'm sure Sony will come back with a network more secure than the last, but as long as they're still possibly a target for this hacker group I'm gonna play it safe.

Salaadin

SolidusDave said:
That looks strange to me, why would Sony post something like this in response to some random comment in an Engadget article? Is it known if that's a legit account? I can't find even find that comment, there are 3k...

LOL @ the typo. "We expect to provide more updates on the outrage..."

droopy

CyReN said:
Should I cancel and get a new debit card?

I think you should avoid using debit for online purchases in general. Credit cards give you more recourse when you get hit with fraudulent charges, at least in Canada.

offshore

The GI.Biz editorial is a good read
As Sony's network team struggle to get the PSN service back online and limit the damage of this disaster, the company's executives face an even bigger headache. Apple has stolen a march in digital media distribution which now even threatens to impinge on Sony's gaming stronghold. Amazon is a huge force in ebooks, a growing force in music and almost certain to make a stab at the App space - including gaming - in the coming months. Microsoft has a superior online gaming service and a trusted brand, and is very likely to bring serious weight to bear in digital media, perhaps as a key thrust of its upcoming Windows 8 operating system. And Sony? Sony just put a dunce hat on its head and went to sit in the corner. When PSN comes back online, the long and difficult process of rebuilding consumer trust will only be beginning.
That dunce bit did make me chuckle ^_^

LowParry

StuBurns said:
Replacing my card wasn't a big deal at all, a single phone call, not notably more irritating than changing a password anyway.

I may end up doing this. It's just re-applying my card to other services that's slightly annoying.

It's happening guys. I just got a $100 charge to my AmEx card that was linked to my PSN from somewhere in Illinois. I live in Tennessee. I've only had this card for about a year and I've never had anything like this happen with any of my other accounts.

gillty

Banned
A spare gmail account which was associated with my PSN account that shared the same password was compromised today.
capture6akw.png

Nothing of value on that account, thankfully google alerted me to the intrusion.

A good reminder to not use one password on every site. I personally use lastpass with random strongpasses for anything important.

edit:
Also I recommend enabling 2-step verification if you have a cellphone and use gmail.

http://www.google.com/support/a/bin/answer.py?answer=175197

https://www.google.com/accounts/SmsAuthConfig?hl=en&service=mail

aristotle

How can any reputable "news" site use random anonymous website comments as a basis for the truth? This just keeps getting worse and worse :(

The blog websites who post their bile as actual news and not fanboyism (which it is) are finally coming out of the woodwork as well. How is any of this helping any consumer or anyone who may have actual real world issues with this fiasco? Man if they had to report on facts, there would be no articles.

careksims

I'm not changing my card until I see something suspicious. As of now, I see nothing going on at all. I'll check everyday but that's about it. Already changed my passwords due to the Gawker incident.

Valru said:
A spare gmail account which was associated with my PSN account, and shared the same password was compromised today.
capture6akw.png

Nothing of value on that account, thankfully google alerted me to the intrusion.

A good reminder to not use one password on every site. I personally use lastpass with random strongpasses for anything important.

Is that an option you can enable on Gmail?

jmdajr

webrunner said:
The question is, how many Ars readers had credit card issues that didn't bother talking about it on Ars is a single thread?

It might be that people are experiencing a normal amount of credit card fraud, but everyone immediately assumes now that its' due to Sony.

Yup, probably the case. I was a victim of credit card fraud a couple of months ago before all this happened. Still, it doesn't give one confidence. All I could think was..."great, not again."

It doesn't really matter at this point if the CC data was stolen or not. Sony already dropped the ball.

cedric69

In the meantime... No reports of CC misuse, am I right? After more than a week it really smells like a demonstration of strength from the hackers.

Hex

Banned
Valkyr Junkie said:
These reports will be all the more sweet if CC data actually wasn't compromised.

Yeah I can not wait to see how many stupid fucks try to charge something stupid and then blame it on the Sony mess and then get caught.

StuBurns

Banned
CcrooK said:
I may end up doing this. It's just re-applying my card to other services that's slightly annoying.
For me it was just because even if it's very unlikely my card details have been stolen, I'll sleep better knowing the card in question is dead. The tiny inconvenience it causes more than pays for itself for the additional peace of mind.

Massa

DMeisterJ said:
Did Ars Technica really run this story? A story that they can't corroborate is even true, let alone, if it is true, if it is caused by the breach?

I guess this is the beginning of the spread of mis-information.

Note to Ars:

Causation =/= Correlation

I'm waiting for Ars to run a story that a Sony rep posted on their site that voice and video chat is coming soon.

jmdajr said:

It kinda would be funny if Sony now came out and said, "after further investigation we can now confirm that it's 99.9% unlikely that any credit cards were taken as part of this attack."

It seems a bit of a stretch to be posting coincidental stories.

I must admit, I expected Sony to make more comments today. I'm not sure why, I just anticipated them to douse the flames a little with something positive.

I just received the Dutch version of Sony's e-mail. I think their translation services have also been compromised. I know they are rushing things, but couldn't they pass it by a native speaker first?

I've changed my most important passwords (which I needed to do anyway) and I will be monitoring my CC. According to my bank I have to report it as "stolen" to the police to have a new one issued?

get2sammyb said:
I must admit, I expected Sony to make more comments today. I'm not sure why, I just anticipated them to douse the flames a little with something positive.
I was just thinking the same thing. Maybe something along the lines of "We're cooperating with authorities" or something and reiterating that people can/should check their accounts and be careful. Something. There's just this huge vacuum of information right now that's filled in with all of this nonsense. It's like they didn't learn anything from the past week.

What's there to say. Just because some media outlets are having a field day posting stupid articles (see Ars above) doesn't mean anything has changed. They're working on rebuilding the network, should be up within a week.

I'm guessing next update we get is to tell us when it will be up exactly.

BeeDog

It's a bit worrying that people are starting to place blame on this leak (e.g. Valru's post above). I can only hope no more (notable) GAF'ers get affected.

Yeah I too am not going to take that Ars article as truth. They were compromised for over a week if they were at all, and after Sony announced this now all of a sudden everyone's got foreign charges? It's like the hackers needed sony's confirmation to realize they had CC info!

DMeisterJ said:
Did Ars Technica really run this story? A story that they can't corroborate is even true, let alone, if it is true, if it is caused by the breach?

I guess this is the beginning of the spread of mis-information.

Note to Ars:

Causation =/= Correlation

I like this "testimonial":

"This card sits in a drawer in my house for emergencies, but I did use it once on my PSP for an account."

I guess the PSP purchase was an emergency situation.

Who buys a credit card to use it once for their PSP and then hides it in a drawer? I guess this guy does and thus confirms that it is Sony related theft .... -_-

Cmagus

Metalmurphy said:
Is that an option you can enable on Gmail?

Go to the bottom of your gmail page you can check all account activity its one of the small links at the bottom of the page.I had the Brazil thing as well after the whole gawker thing had to change all my passwords they spammed all my contact list including some studios I had applied for and contacts I had not fun.

Zeliard

Ickman3400 said:
Yeah I too am not going to take that Ars article as truth. They were compromised for over a week if they were at all, and after Sony announced this now all of a sudden everyone's got foreign charges? It's like the hackers needed sony's confirmation to realize they had CC info!

Could just be that a lot of them didn't bother checking their recent account activity until it was revealed CC info could be compromised.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I have replaced almost all passwords with new ones, just to be sure.

Also removed almost all of the money from my online ordering account with my debit Visa Electron - i have left 15 € on it and it is impossible to get into negative balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom