• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

params7

Banned
Jburton said:
Awesome, lets hold a knife to someone's throat and demand work.

The sense of entitlement these hackers have is unbelievable.

Talk about being up your own ass!

I have no clue what you're trying to say here.

Grinchy said:
I know, Sony would be in much better shape if they just did nothing and everyone realized they could just pirate PS3 games from now on. Much better solution, thank you for pointing that out.

Would Sony have lost millions of dollars today and dented PSN's reputation in front of their whole audience if they did something more usefull instead of harrasing homebrew hackers?

Ravidrath

Zoe said:
I'll say it again:

Sony should be sued, and people who can prove financial loses directly tied to the breach should be able to be compensated.

However, any lawsuit is going to be premature until it's possible for such proof to be obtained.

Ultimately Sony isn't responsible for any fraudulent credit card charges - that's the business of the credit card companies. Certainly possible that they may sue Sony, though, if they end up losing a lot of money over this.

Debit card is another issue entirely.

It's not like breaches like this haven't happened before, though, and I don't think the companies responsible really suffer much in the end. It's not really their fault as long as they made good faith, non-negligent efforts to secure their networks.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
ukas said:
We're audited every year for PCI compliance. If they were out of compliance the auditor(s) should have seen this.
everyone above a certain threshold is audited every year. If you accept MasterCard (or is it Visa..? been a few years) and have x amount of sales you are subject to an annual compliance audit. If you are under the threshold then you are subject to a possible random audit.

the audit isn't major TBH though. Basic stuff like having data and customer access on different systems (not even physically different), not storing "unstorable" mag strip data (like CCV), encrypted transactions, encrypted full card number and exp date, protected and audited access, etc.

It's all basically a lot of "no duh" stuff. The catch is if you are caught out of compliance, it doesn't mean you can't accept the cards, you will just be assessed a bunch of fees until it's corrected and potentially looking at fraud withholds and higher/unqualified discount rates (i.e. the percentage you pay on transactions)

DMeisterJ

Banned
Loudninja said:
People keep posting very little article they find that's whats making it so bad right now.

Yeah, reposting regurgitated stories, or basically the same story from different sites is what makes any situation appear bigger than what it is, and it's the same thing that's happening here. Hacking is big news, and the amount affected is big, so people are naturally curious, and websites see that and keep the stories coming, but the issue is that the only information that we know is correct has been posted on the PS Blog and E-mailed to any PSN User. So you then have websites that start assuming things (intentionally or not) and it gets reposted and reposted for no reason.

That's the step we're at now. It should die down soon.

FINALBOSS said:
Anyone see this?

UHlII.jpg

So it took this for Sony to add such features to PSN? Oh Sony.....

Zeliard

Projectjustice said:
So it took this for Sony to add such features to PSN? Oh Sony.....

That's actually pretty amusing. Sony, much like homeowners who've just had their homes destroyed, is going to take this opportunity to also upgrade PSN and add some features that people have wanted for a long time.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
anonymousAversa said:
Guys, for the record, my username has absolutely nothing to do with the hacker group. I created it years ago and it's a reference to the goggles company anonymous owned by Burton Snowboards. I also just like alliteration. So no, I am not involved at all.

I even requested a username change to EviLore in a PM a while ago but never heard back.

With that awesome hot redheard as an avatar you think anyone cares about your name? Hell no.

Just a quick note for anyone calling LloydsTSB to advise them that their debit/credit card details may be compromised......

Some bright spark at the call centre has seen this as an opportunity for upselling. Therefore expect to be told that they are aware of the PSN situation and as a remedy they are recommending their customers subscribe to their ID aware identity theft protection service as a matter of priority. Didn't seem too fussed about my debit card though.....

DMeisterJ said:
Yeah, reposting regurgitated stories, or basically the same story from different sites is what makes any situation appear bigger than what it is, and it's the same thing that's happening here. Hacking is big news, and the amount affected is big, so people are naturally curious, and websites see that and keep the stories coming, but the issue is that the only information that we know is correct has been posted on the PS Blog and E-mailed to any PSN User. So you then have websites that start assuming things (intentionally or not) and it gets reposted and reposted for no reason.

That's the step we're at now. It should die down soon.
Uh, the fact that the story is plastered all over mainstream news sources may not be good for Sony, but it is good for, you know, consumers who might not pay attention to gaming news sites. This is a case where it's better if everyone is overreacting, since it helps to spread the word to every possible corner, so that everyone at risk for identity theft can know to take precautions. Sorry if your favorite darling little company gets a bad reputation in the process.

spats said:
I know those comics are purposefully created to be funny but somehow it manages to be the least funny thing in this entire thread.

That's debatable.

The jokes on you when you finish it.

DMeisterJ

Banned
risky boots said:
Uh, the fact that the story is plastered all over mainstream news sources may not be good for Sony, but it is good for, you know, consumers who might not pay attention to gaming news sites. This is a case where it's better if everyone is overreacting, since it helps to spread the word to every possible corner, so that everyone at risk for identity theft can know to take precautions. Sorry if your favorite darling little company gets a bad reputation in the process.

*eyeroll*

Of course it's good for the information to get out there. I'm saying the mis-information that comes with it is the issues and why stuff gets posted/reposted in this thread since journalists report assumptions and conjecture as news. This has nothing to do with me caring about the reputation of a multi-billion dollar company. Try harder.

RDreamer

Just called my bank to get my debit card reissued. It was a 5 dollar fee, but I'd rather be safe. I haven't got an email from Sony yet, though.

Feorax

Just a quick update. Remember that sign at Gamestation about trading in your PS3 for a 360 due to the PSN outage?

Just been informed by my brother, who works at the same GAME store I used to, that the game group Ltd sent an email to all stores today saying that anyone caught doing that again loses their job.

Shrewd marketing only gets you so far I guess...

Zoe said:
I'll say it again:

Sony should be sued, and people who can prove financial loses directly tied to the breach should be able to be compensated.

However, any lawsuit is going to be premature until it's possible for such proof to be obtained.
Well, a law suit will cause more information to get out as the plaintiff's side demands to see information. Kind of like what Sony did to Hotz. These lawyers are going to want to see every scrap of paper they can.

.GqueB.

Banned
Freyjadour said:
Reading Comprehension.

I never said that they should be rewarded with a job for hacking, I said that it is common enough for companies to offer employment to renowned hackers for the talents they obviously possess.
Yes but the movie Catch me if you can showed us that they will eventually grow bored of their position and return to their criminal ways.

Hazelhurst

get2sammyb said:
So, now the storm has "passed" a bit, what do we think the realistic longterm consequences for PlayStation are now?
I don't know about longterm effects, but Sony needs to do what Microsoft did with the RROD. I'm not saying Sony needs to spend a billion dollars, but they definitely need to do whatever they can to somehow soften this blow. If it means spending hundreds of millions to rectify this issue, then so be it.

Sony needs a miracle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom