• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Ravidrath said:
So, I'm not saying the PSN breach isn't a big deal, but...

Last night I was talking to some game journalist friends at a bar, and they said they're under enormous pressure to push out as many PSN stories as possible. Apparently the PSN breach is a major traffic driver at the moment, so they want as many stories as possible about it.

I'm of the opinion that this kind of thing helps inflate the perception of the severity of the situation, similar to how endless repetition of a story on the 24-hour news networks can distort things.

It's because the media loves to sensationalize and blow things extremely out of proportion... which is why I don't even watch the news anymore. Gaf is my news site lol.

The_Darkest_Red said:
There are a lot of illegal things that people find to be fun, it doesn't mean they should be rewarded for it with a job.

Reading Comprehension.

I never said that they should be rewarded with a job for hacking, I said that it is common enough for companies to offer employment to renowned hackers for the talents they obviously possess.

Assuming that every hacker does so so that they can go out and get hired by a company is ludicrous. There are other paths to this. I pointed out that they did so because they enjoyed it.

ukas

hooligan said:
Interesting point from the WSJ:

"Sony’s security

Questions do have to be asked about Sony’s security procedures, not simply with regard to how the hack was conducted, but how they store information. The admission that passwords and credit card information have been compromised, suggests that the company may not have been following industry-accepted procedures.

Password information should never be stored in an unencrypted format. Programming languages include readily-available techniques for one-way encryption of data. To mitigate against reverse look-up tables (that take the encrypted form and allow programmers to extract the password), stored passwords should be combined with another string (known as the “salt”) and the whole string encoded making them impossible to reverse engineer.

If credit card information has been compromised, then questions would need to be asked of Sony if it was following the agreed industry standards on merchants storing of credit card information. The Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards (PCI-DSS) are a detailed set of requirements as to what credit card information can be stored, and how."

We're audited every year for PCI compliance. If they were out of compliance the auditor(s) should have seen this.

Kagari said:
It's because the media loves to sensationalize and blow things extremely out of proportion... which is why I don't even watch the news anymore. Gaf is my news site lol.

Cause Gaf never blows things out of proportion :p

LiK

Kagari said:
And duckroll is my Glenn Beck. The man is furious over this. Waiting for the chalkboard and puppet presentation. :p

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Maleficence said:
Cause Gaf never blows things out of proportion :p

Of course gaf does, but you can usually sift through a lot of it.

LiK said:
And duckroll is my Glenn Beck. The man is furious over this. Waiting for the chalkboard and puppet presentation. :p

Huahaha.

gutter_trash said:
I hope we don't lose our PSN purchases; if so I will be pissed

Don't worry.

Posted on 27 April, 2011 at 6:04 pm by James Gallagher

Yes, that’s a questions that should have been included in the FAQ and we are discovering new ones to update it with all the time. When PSN is restored, friends lists, trophies and wallet funds will all be exactly as they were before.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
RustyNails said:
FF 13 Versus date will finally be revealed and PSN story will be a long gone daddy.

Sony should also reveal Agent in the form of gameplay trailer as a counter weight to negative hysteria.

I doubt we'll get that but a new trailer would be nice!

Freyjadour said:
Reading Comprehension.

I never said that they should be rewarded with a job for hacking, I said that it is common enough for companies to offer employment to renowned hackers for the talents they obviously possess.

Assuming that every hacker does so so that they can go out and get hired by a company is ludicrous. There are other paths to this. I pointed out that they did so because they enjoyed it.
You're right, I misread that. I agree with what you're saying.

Ravidrath said:
So, I'm not saying the PSN breach isn't a big deal, but...

Last night I was talking to some game journalist friends at a bar, and they said they're under enormous pressure to push out as many PSN stories as possible. Apparently the PSN breach is a major traffic driver at the moment, so they want as many stories as possible about it.

I'm of the opinion that this kind of thing helps inflate the perception of the severity of the situation, similar to how endless repetition of a story on the 24-hour news networks can distort things.

Sounds about right. The site I write for did 10x average traffic the day the PSN went down.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
KingOfKong said:
GAF seems to be the only place making it seem like a clusterfuck.

Uh, have you looked at any major news outlet in the last 24 hours? The headlines might as well read as: PS3 outage - a clusterfuck of epic proportions.

I know this 'GAF' guy does this and that, but he certainly doesn't have any more of an agenda than anyone else commenting on the story.

Zoe

I'll say it again:

Sony should be sued, and people who can prove financial loses directly tied to the breach should be able to be compensated.

However, any lawsuit is going to be premature until it's possible for such proof to be obtained.

Aeana

LiK said:
If you think he's furious now, wait until he sees this comparison.

I feel mixed over the whole lawsuit. I feel bad for Sony because they brought so many great things that changed the face of entertainment. On another end, I just can't trust them anymore with my money and their reputation may be unrecoverable. They should be sued if any CC information is stolen.

Heck, this also affect the next generation consoles and Sony tablets. Why the heck should I take another chance with their network? Ok, let's say that my CC is safe now. Will our trophies and DLC return from their restore points? Should I be concerned about another outage since Sony is at DIRECT war with hackers now?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Shin Dynamo X said:
I feel mixed over the whole lawsuit. I feel bad for Sony because they brought so many great things that changed the face of entertainment. On another end, I just can't trust them anymore with my money and their reputation may be unrecoverable.

Heck, this also affect the next generation consoles and Sony tablets. Why the heck should I take another chance with their network? Ok, let's say that my CC is safe now. Will our trophies and DLC return from their restore points? Should I be concerned about another outage since Sony is at DIRECT war with hackers now?

They already said all the trophy/wallet/everything is intact.

I3rand0

fna84 said:
Will we get a free devil may cry 4 avatar?

Nope, but everyone gets a trophy. I think if your identity gets stolen you unlock a platinum as well.

152988285464348.png

Vamphuntr said:
Those incompetent fools. How dare they try to protect their customers and offer them peace of mind as a service.

What peace of mind exists when you tell your customer base you cannot rule out the possibility of credit card information being compromised?

Swifty

So, did Sony's backend programmers conveniently store all sensitive info in plain text? Or did this hacker somehow find SHA collisions (while also contending with salted hashes) and break AES-256 encryption?

FYI, the latter is really really hard. :p

I don't know if the Eurogamer article has been linked, but it's worth a repost regardless.
FFA UK has been made aware that out of the 70 million Sony PlayStation accounts compromised worldwide in the Sony PlayStation Network incident, three million are based in the UK," the organisation told Eurogamer.

"Sony has not yet confirmed if card details have been compromised but FFA UK is liaising closely with Sony with regard to this.

"The banking industry has robust processes in place to protect its customers' accounts by monitoring for suspicious or irregular card transactions. If Sony confirms that card details have been compromised, and provides details to us of those accounts, card issuers can place alerts on these accounts. Further steps, such as blocking the account and/or issuing new cards can be taken if necessary.

"There is no need for customers to contact their bank or card company at this stage. However, customers should continue to do what they should normally be doing - checking their statement and keeping a close eye on their account for any unusual activity – if they spot any they should then contact their bank or card company."

However, FFA UK recommends gamers who use the same passwords for their PlayStation account as they do for other financial accounts change these passwords to something else "as soon as possible".

"Similarly, customers may have had their email addresses and telephone numbers compromised in this incident, so they should be wary of responding to any unsolicited emails or telephone calls that ask for sensitive or financial information."

The FFA reiterated information provided to Eurogamer by consumer advice organisation Which? earlier today, and reassured those worried that they will not lose money as a result of the security breach.

"In the event that anyone is the innocent victim of fraud as a result of this incident, customers can have peace of mind that they will get their money back from their bank or card company."

The PSN identity theft furore is perhaps the most devastating crisis in PlayStation's history.
Also,
Sony has apologised for the episode, and vowed to track down the hackers.
Vows cannot be broken. He's coming...

bk5HA.jpg

Snuggler said:
Uh, have you looked at any major news outlet in the last 24 hours? The headlines might as well read as: PS3 outage - a clusterfuck of epic proportions.

I know this 'GAF' guy does this and that, but he certainly doesn't have any more of an agenda than anyone else commenting on the story.

yes, i read other major news outlets and I am not saying it isn't a big deal. However, Gaf and other gaming message board users are making it to be worse then it is. I can't blame those users though, they are likely bored from not being able to play for a week.

Jburton

Banned
Shin Dynamo X said:
I feel mixed over the whole lawsuit. I feel bad for Sony because they brought so many great things that changed the face of entertainment. On another end, I just can't trust them anymore with my money and their reputation may be unrecoverable. They should be sued if any CC information is stolen.

Check a few posts above in relation to your trophies etc.

verbum said:
2 years ago, I got a call from my bank. I live in Georgia and someone in Brooklyn, NY was trying to open a credit card account using my name, birthdate, SSN, address, phone numbers, and supplying other account numbers such as savings, car loan,etc.
After I told them I was not in NYC, they cancelled the credit card application, changed all my account numbers, sent me new debit cards, and put me on a credit monitoring program for 1 year at their cost. it was Wachovia which is now part of Wells Fargo. I extended the credit monitoring program for $35 for another 12 months.
So criminals do not need a credit card number or PIN. They can use the personal info to get an account opened. Once they have your name,address, birth date and account types, they can buy a report from credit bureaus which have your SSN and other info they may need.
Call your bank or credit card company or both and compare prices for a credit monitoring program which will let you know if accounts are being opened using your info or if credit limit increases are being requested Choose one that monitors all three of the reporting agencies-Experian, Transunion, and Equifax. And one that sends alerts 24/7.
Excellent, informative post. I had an experience with this last year when I noticed a strange $20 change on my credit card. After some phone calls I was able to reconstruct what happened; someone had gathered enough of my personal information to successfully order checks from a shady company with my credit card. Luckily for me, the checks weren't in my name, but someone else's (most likely another stolen identity.) Bank of America however disputed my dispute, and it took about a month of letters to sort out. At the same time I put a freeze on my credit accounts. I was incredibly lucky. The whole thing ended up fine, but was a massive annoyance.

People trying to downplay the significance of this breach, or criticize "paranoia" in others are doing the gaming community a disservice. Identity theft is serious, and while most of what can go wrong can be fixed, it can be a tremendous pain in the ass. No we're not gonna die, but yes if you had any of your personal info on PSN you are at risk and you should take the time now to protect yourself if you already haven't. The potentially serious consequences of this aren't that someone's going to run up obviously fraudulent charges this week, but rather who will end up with your info and how they'll use it in the future. That's serious, you should protect yourself, and Sony does deserve blame for allowing this to happen.

Hex

Banned
Shin Dynamo X said:

If Sony has all of their ducks in a row and were meeting network standard requirements they really have nothing to worry about.
If they were taking short cuts then they deserve to sting a little bit.
Nobody on here, and nobody on any sensationalist news outlet who are sharking for hits has any idea what their network situation was so it is all moot.
There is chum in the water and the usual sharks are all out in force but as usual most are toothless and just irritants .

MoneyLaunderer said:
Kinda surprised Hsu went on TV and contributed to the fear tactics that the media is using. There is no concrete evidence yet that anyone's CC info was stolen. While it is possible, media outlets are providing a bunch of assumptions.

Considering his past involvement with 1UP Yours, I am not surprised in the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom