• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

FINALBOSS

Banned
UberTag said:
First article I've seen (courtesy of G4's Stephen Johnson) relating to what hoops PSN users can expect to jump through to restore access to their online identity once the "newly rebuilt PSN" is turned back on.

It's quite insightful and makes it painfully clear that it will not be a simple matter of turning our systems on and signing in.

When The PlayStation Network Returns, Will Your Trophies Return Too?

Well all that is already debunked because they said nothing will be changed and everything that was there before will still be there.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
StuBurns said:
Sony would have told us if they were going to be wiping accounts, no way that's happening.

How would they do this? How would they possibly handle to the logistics of getting people their PSN purchases back?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
My bank in Canada is taking this pretty seriously. They even set up a "PlayStation Network" hotline. They cancelled my CC even though there weren't any nefarious charges on it. Getting a new one later.

Now I have to file something or other with the credit bureaus.

What a pain in the ass.

lol51

DrForester said:
How would they do this? How would they possibly handle to the logistics of getting people their PSN purchases back?

lets say this is true... and that all our account purchases were wiped.

Well we know they have our email addresses, they can probably look at email records from their end and verify purchases. Restore a users purchases through that.

theres probably a variety of ways they can retrieve user purchases

StuBurns

Banned
DrForester said:
Exactly, amongst other things. It seems basically impossible. Maybe they'll look at accounts that bought a lot within the days of the illegal access, but that'd be it I imagine.

did any hacker groups come forward in this or is it really just one person? maybe one person that belongs to a group? either way, he or she's good. or psn security sucks

Persona7

Banned
Dark Schala said:
My bank in Canada is taking this pretty seriously. They even set up a "PlayStation Network" hotline. They cancelled my CC even though there weren't any nefarious charges on it. Getting a new one later.

What a pain in the ass.
Yeah my bank is expediting new cards for everyone affected by this.

LiK

phosphor112 said:
I have an urge to punch your jugular and stomp on your chest while you're down. I don't know why.

it's a mass email, that's how it works. getting one doesn't mean you're targeted.

Dark Schala said:

What a pain in the ass.
Which bank is this? Haven't heard anything yet.

darkwing

macfoshizzle said:
did any hacker groups come forward in this or is it really just one person? maybe one person that belongs to a group? either way, he or she's good. or psn security sucks
no one will take responsibility for this, its an invitation for the FBI

DMeisterJ

Banned
UberTag said:
First article I've seen (courtesy of G4's Stephen Johnson) relating to what hoops PSN users can expect to jump through to restore access to their online identity once the "newly rebuilt PSN" is turned back on.

It's quite insightful and makes it painfully clear that it will not be a simple matter of turning our systems on and signing in.

It's amazing how sites can just make shit up and pass it off as news, or information. Sony has already said our trophies are safe, and the logistics of trying to recover content from nuked accounts would be too much work.

KJTB

macfoshizzle said:

I can't think of any reason as to why the hacker or hackers would publicly state that they are responsible for hacking Sony. Especially considering that this is part of the mainstream news now.

Kyoufu

DMeisterJ said:
It's amazing how sites can just make shit up and pass it off as news, or information. Sony has already said our trophies are safe, and the logistics of trying to recover content from nuked accounts would be too much work.

Its UberTag the Junior troll.

blazinglazers said:
Why shouldn't you assume the worst here? Why do people keep saying this, what's the thought process? AT WORST consumers get informed that their personal info was been compromised, so they tighten up their personal security and get a new CC. What's that, an hour of their time for easy piece of mind? That's nothing compared to what could happen if the shit really hits the fan.

Seriously, I'm completely baffled by some of the responses in here. Who cares if the media runs with this? Maybe the bad PR will force Sony to be forthcoming with more info or institute something like the extended warranty MS did in response to the RROD fiasco. There's literally no downside here.

im not saying that people shouldn't consider the worst outcome, but to assume it is just needless and solves nothing. it causes more freaking out, more panicking, and further perpetuates a shitstorm that could cause more problems if indeed there was no CC info leak at all.

so to reiterate, don't act until the facts are in. so far the facts are that the only thing accessed was the basic user data and login. not the CC. until it is a confirmed YES that CC info was accessed then a lot of people could cause themselves a lot of needless trouble and hassle by reacting NOW as if it's already confirmed.

IchigoSharingan said:
no tos is legally binding.

Not completely true, the whole thing is still in question, there are several things that can be legally binding in a TOS or EULA, it depends on if some of the stuff in TOS and if they are legal or not. For example, a TOS/EULA is not legally binding if for example, it gives the contractor to take someone's life. That is clearly illegal.

LiK said:
it's a mass email, that's how it works. getting one doesn't mean you're targeted.

Don't have to be a dick to other people talking about jizz on peoples chins and shit. Seriously.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
AlphaTwo00 said:
Which bank is this? Haven't heard anything yet.
CIBC. Call the number on the back of your CC, mention "PlayStation Network" and they'll redirect you. They said they had a lot of calls about it.

LiK

phosphor112 said:
Don't have to be a dick to other people talking about jizz on peoples chins and shit. Seriously.

who's being a dick? lol guess i'll need to put you in that special list.

JambiBum

teiresias said:
Just quoting your entire post (instead of just your 'fixed') so you can't just get rid of it and plead ignorance over your lame fanboy BS later. Pathetic.
I wouldn't get rid of it for any reason. There is no fanboy shit within my post. Hell I wasnt even trying to be malicious. Actually tried to inject some humor. I realize that it backfired and looks immature on my part. And I apologize for that.

Full disclosure, I'm just pissed because I can't play The Show online right now.

DMeisterJ said:

"There is also the potential that your account will be wiped clean, totally."

Ugh...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
UberTag said:

SCEA already said trophies, wallet money, downloads etc are all intact. Stop posting links written by uninformed people.

LiK said:
who's being a dick? lol guess i'll need to put you in that special list.
he confused you for someone else with a female who doesn't exist in their avater. For a moment i thought he'd spoiled Catherine.

Do you need to know the password of the email account you used to sign up for PSN to change the PSN password? My login for my Yahoo account isn't working anymore.

iNvid02

i dont think i've read one news story yet which just gives the facts instead of adding on some made up bullshit or massive assumptions.

Playstation Network security breach could cost Sony over 24 billion Dollars.

The Ponemon Institute, a data-security research firm, estimated that the cost of a data breach involving a malicious or criminal act averaged $318 per compromised record in 2010, up 48 percent from the year earlier.

That could pin the potential cost of the PlayStation breach at more than $24 billion.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_sony_playstation_credit_cards_warning

That's a crippling sum. Could even mean that there will be no PS4.

FINALBOSS

Banned
iNvidious01 said:
i dont think i've read one news story yet which just gives the facts instead of adding on some made up bullshit or massive assumptions.

Everyone is just vying for hits on their website with sensationalist poo-poo.

Sinoox

Banned
This is why you NEVER let anyone store your sensitive information like credit card numbers! It's just not necessary and evidently very dangerous.

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
im not saying that people shouldn't consider the worst outcome, but to assume it is just needless and solves nothing. it causes more freaking out, more panicking, and further perpetuates a shitstorm that could cause more problems if indeed there was no CC info leak at all.

so to reiterate, don't act until the facts are in. so far the facts are that the only thing accessed was the basic user data and login. not the CC. until it is a confirmed YES that CC info was accessed then a lot of people could cause themselves a lot of needless trouble and hassle by reacting NOW as if it's already confirmed.
2lk5it0.gif

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
New SDKs going out: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...utraNews+(Gamasutra+News)&utm_content=Twitter

As downtime for Sony's PlayStation Network lingers on, Gamasutra sources report that Sony has asked some developers to install new SDKs on their PlayStation 3 devkits prior to the service coming back online.

These new SDKs will provide new security features in response to the massive data leak earlier this week, which compromised user information including passwords, addresses, and perhaps even credit card information.

In a Sony statement following the security breach, the company said it will start "re-building" its system to protect PSN from future incidents.

Although the service has been offline since April 20, Gamasutra sources said they have received no information regarding when PSN will be back up and running.

Earlier this week, Sony's Patrick Seybold said that the company should have PSN back online "within a week" of April 26.

Zoe

macfoshizzle said:

Nobody is going to come forward. It is very illegal and will result in massive fines and jail time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom